⚽️ Lady Vols Soccer

Just saw this from ex-Vol Danielle Marcano. She doesn't say that she's signed with a new club, so it may be that she hasn't.
Don't know anything about her situation. Marcano jumped to Fenerbahce after having a good year or two with a team in Iceland. Fenerbachce is one of the two big clubs in the Turkish league, but my admittedly vague sense is that the women's league there is not especially
good. I don't know if she was a starter or not, but I scanned some of the club's recent results and saw that she had scored a goal in a couple
of games. That's all the info I could find--not much. Let's hope she signs with another club in a more high-profile league.

I have decided not to renew my contract for this upcoming season. Fenerbahçe, I am grateful to have played for such an amazing club. Thank you to all the fans who supported us this past year. Wishing the club all the success in the future.

Just saw this from ex-Vol Danielle Marcano. She doesn't say that she's signed with a new club, so it may be that she hasn't.
Don't know anything about her situation. Marcano jumped to Fenerbahce after having a good year or two with a team in Iceland. Fenerbachce is one of the two big clubs in the Turkish league, but my admittedly vague sense is that the women's league there is not especially
good. I don't know if she was a starter or not, but I scanned some of the club's recent results and saw that she had scored a goal in a couple
of games. That's all the info I could find--not much. Let's hope she signs with another club in a more high-profile league.

I have decided not to renew my contract for this upcoming season. Fenerbahçe, I am grateful to have played for such an amazing club. Thank you to all the fans who supported us this past year. Wishing the club all the success in the future.
..can you edit that font? 🤣

Totally freakish that Jamaica is through to the knockout round--but also another choke job by Brazil, which finds a way to crash out of
every World Cup. Jamaica scored 1 goal in three matches---against Panama--and didn't even have a shot on goal today, but somehow managed
to keep not one but two clearly superior teams (France and Brazil) from scoring in their matches. So credit to Jamaica for that. Soccer, more than any other sport, provides an assist to the underdog because of the basic difficulty of scoring, but even so Jamaica's results are astounding. They had very little possession against France or Jamaica, had 2 SOG against France, 0 against Brazil, but managed to get a point from each match. For the Vols it means that Simmonds will now miss all of training camp and will probably need at least a week's rest when she does get back, as she has been training every day with Jamaica. Exciting time for her.

I would not call it a choke job. Jamaica held France to a 0-0 draw as well.They are very good at a style that can frustrate the very best teams in the world. IN the pro ranks, you can see teams with 1 billion dollars of attacking talent frustrated by a team that stays compact and parks the proverbial bus and plays to poach a goal on set piece or counter attack. Japan played that way against Spain and destroyed them by being skilled and ruthless on their counter attacks. But spain completely dominated in possession

I am quite sure that no one is looking forward to matches against those two teams just because they are so hard to break down. It takes skill, discipline and concentration to play that way and so Jamaica earned their spot and deserves their props.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
Sweden #3 team in World USA better get it together the experts who played the game stated this numerous times!!!

Well, the US team are what they are. The silver lining from this world cup is that Vlatko Andonovski might get sacked. He has turned them into a very predictable one dimensional team. His approach is that we will press teams into turning the ball over and score on the attack with our blazing fast wing players.

The problem is that many teams even those not ranked highly, like Portugal, are comfortable passing around the press have defenders with enough speed to keep Rodman, Smith, Williams, and Morgan in check. Our center mids are not creative (particularly without Lavelle) and really getting dominated.

Germa is the only US player who would have a change at making the WC best eleven roster. Our top attacking players would not start for France, Spain, Germany, Sweden and probably Sweden. Vlatko has brought in too many players with the exact same profile (their strengths and speed and athleticism and their weakeness are technical skills and knowing how to move into open spaces and move the ball with purpose.

Injuries to Mallory (Pugh) Swanson and Sam Mewis have been big blows. Swanson is everything on the wing that USWNT is now lacking and Mewis is excellent at connecting play and controlling the ball.

To beat Sweden, they need to make some changes but Vlatko seems stubborn and resistant to change. I will go with Carli Lloyd that one obvious move would be to move Julie Ertz into the holding mid, she played for the US in the 2019 cup. And you have to start Rapinoe. She can't track back and defend but she made more dangerous passes in her 30 minutes than the entire had over the course of the previous 60 minutes.

But odds are, Vlatko will roll out the same line-up from the first two games, with Demelo struggling in Lavell's spot. If so, we are probably looking at 2 or 3 loss.

Andonovski has ruined US soccer, and I feel strongly the best thing that could happen is if he were sacked before the next contest. That's obviously not going to happen, but I really do feel like the team might fare better if they were coached/inspired for the remainder of the Cup by a group of former stars, even with zero coaching experience. They couldn't possibly be worse than Andonovski.

I would not call it a choke job. Jamaica held France to a 0-0 draw as well.They are very good at a style that can frustrate the very best teams in the world. IN the pro ranks, you can see teams with 1 billion dollars of attacking talent frustrated by a team that stays compact and parks the proverbial bus and plays to poach a goal on set piece or counter attack. Japan played that way against Spain and destroyed them by being skilled and ruthless on their counter attacks. But spain completely dominated in possession

I am quite sure that no one is looking forward to matches against those two teams just because they are so hard to break down. It takes skill, discipline and concentration to play that way and so Jamaica earned their spot and deserves their props.
I think it's a totally different game when you cannot play for a tie. Happy with the result in this instance but wish FIFA would get rid of ties in the group stage.

Andonovski has ruined US soccer, and I feel strongly the best thing that could happen is if he were sacked before the next contest. That's obviously not going to happen, but I really do feel like the team might fare better if they were coached/inspired for the remainder of the Cup by a group of former stars, even with zero coaching experience. They couldn't possibly be worse than Andonovski.
He is a players coach who was brought in to be head cheerleader for a veteran-led squad. Much of the veteran leadership is gone and so far it does not seem like he has transitioned into the roll of a talent-developer/tactical instructor. it is kinda humorous to dive into some some the redit threads on this subject where you will see identical arguments that always come up in Vols football head coaching debates (who you gonna get that's better, etc.)

Jamaica plays like underdogs must play--you park the bus and make it difficult for the superior opponent to score. Unlike every other sport, soccer gives underdogs a chance because it's hard to score, period, and doubly so when your opponent has 8/9 defenders in front of its box plus the keeper. I've seen a million games like Jamaica--Brazil, as every soccer fan has--and of course Germany is now astoundingly out of the tourney because Korea played the same way Jamaica played--not surprisingly--and also got a result. The thing is, these types of games are not good soccer matches and they're not entertaining either, IMO. You don't get good soccer when only one team wants to come out and play. I give Morocco credit because they apparently came out and played--at least to a certain degree--against Colombia. I didn't see but a small portion of the match late in the 2nd half--but the stats show that they came out and played. The Japan v. Spain game was similar but different: Japan sat back in a low block as well, but Japan is talented and smart and experienced, and they produced 3 counter-attacks that each resulted in goals in the first half. The score was a complete anomaly: Japan could beat Spain again if they played, but to score four goals with only 20 percent possession is practically unheard of. I want to see two good teams come out and play--and especially so in the WC. Parking the bus may get results, but it doesn't make for good soccer matches.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Jamaica plays like underdogs must play--you park the bus and make it difficult for the superior opponent to score. Unlike every other sport, soccer gives underdogs a chance because it's hard to score, period, and doubly so when your opponent has 8/9 defenders in front of its box plus the keeper. I've seen a million games like Jamaica--Brazil, as every soccer fan has--and of course Germany is now astoundingly out of the tourney because Korea played the same way Jamaica played--not surprisingly--and also got a result. The thing is, these types of games are not good soccer matches and they're not entertaining either, IMO. You don't get good soccer when only one team wants to come out and play. I give Morocco credit because they apparently came out and played--at least to a certain degree--against Colombia. I didn't see but a small portion of the match late in the 2nd half--but the stats show that they came out and played. The Japan v. Spain game was similar but different: Japan sat back in a low block as well, but Japan is talented and smart and experienced, and they produced 3 counter-attacks that each resulted in goals in the first half. The score was a complete anomaly: Japan could beat Spain again if they played, but to score four goals with only 20 percent possession is practically unheard of. I want to see two good teams come out and play--and especially so in the WC. Parking the bus may get results, but it doesn't make for good soccer matches.

There are lots of sports where teams take a low risk, defensive oriented approach. Even today's NFl still has a few ground and pound, defensive oriented teams. Baseball, using 3-4 relief pitchers is a defensive-oriented strategy.

Jose Mourinho used this low block, counter attack style to win numerous league titles and champions league titles with teams that were loaded with talent - Chelsea, Inter Milan, Real Madrid among his former clubs. However, I agree that this strategy is most commonly used by teams that are over matched.

But. over matched teams, who are lower in the table, are there because they can't win enough games playing that way. They eventually crack and concede a goal or goals.

However, when you get a team that is really good at this style of play, it can be entertaining (unless you are pulling for the opponent). The Japan was a great game. I think the Brazil-Jamaica was interesting as heck. It was not like Brazil played a bad game. I was super attentive to Marta, given the chance this could be her last time on the world stage. She played well. Her movement off the ball was excellent. She did a great job maintaining possession pressure and she played some very dangerous passes to Debina and others. But nothing worked because Jamaica never lost track of a runner into the box, never failed to close down , and never lost their shape. It was a remarkable performance, even if they were not putting much effort into the attack. Shaw was not 100% because she did not have her usual burst on the counter attack, which took away much of Jamiaca's threat.

Just to be clear, I am not disagreeing with you per se but just pointing the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To compare to baseball, some fans love nothing more than a pitching duel, whereas others want to see high scoring game with lots of home runs. Both are equally legit aesthetic preferences. But, I am just speaking up for the aesthetic and athletic value of what Jamaica did. While it may be "hard to score" in soccer, it is also equally hard to keep a clean sheet because one mistake against a good team can lead to a goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD and chuckiepoo
I understand the point system,,,it's the walking away from a "tie" game that rattles my chain
I don’t think you do. (Trust me, there were winners and losers)

The US advanced to the knockout stage because of a draw which changed their strategy, they didn’t need a win to move on to the elimination round which has no ties.

These other matches ended in ties.

Jamaica advancing to the knockout stage in a draw match.

That’s Lady Vol Bunny Shaw.

Morocco advancing to the knockout stage after Germany’s match ended in a draw.If Germany had won they would have been going through instead. Germany was one of the favorites.

Last edited:
Our Current Vol celebrating dancing to some Brazilian Funk Carioca music after Jamaica drew with Brazil and is moving on to the round of 16 and knocking out Brazil for the first time from the knockout stage since 1995.
Congrats Kameron Simmonds.

I don’t think you do. (Trust me, there were winners and losers)

The US advanced to the knockout stage because of a draw which changed their strategy, they didn’t need a win to move on to the elimination round which has no ties.

These other matches ended in ties.

Jamaica advancing to the knockout stage in a draw match.

That’s Lady Vol Bunny Shaw.

Morocco advancing to the knockout stage after Germany’s match ended in a draw.If Germany had won they would have been going through instead. Germany was one of the favorites.

To build on your point, aside from the strategic implications (which adds a lot of interest to the group stage), these early games are scheduled pretty tightly. So, if two teams had to play a 30 minute OT (and perhaps with PKs), they are going to be a disadvantage when they step on the field 2 or 3 days later for their next match.

It is not like FIFA has thought about this stuff before over the many WCs...

VN Store

Back