⚽️ Lady Vols Soccer

We play Sweden in the first round of the knockout bracket, this should be a final, the 2 highest ranked teams remaining play each other.
Seems messed up.

IMG_3233.jpeg

We play Sweden in the first round of the knockout bracket, this should be a final, the 2 highest ranked teams remaining play each other.
Seems messed up.

View attachment 567768
A function of the US not winning their group and the conjectural nature of these rankings.

France coming on strong; England; Japan; Spain, Sweden all look like much better takes than the US right now.

On a soccer blog, they posted this interesting from comment Lindsay Horan (from a few weeks before the world cup started, which she comments on the difference between playing in Europe and the US leagues):

Lindsey Horan: ''I don't wanna get fans ... Upset but, I think, in Europe, everything is so possession-oriented and valuing the ball, whereas the US ... is so physically demanding ... you have plavers that can do individual-brilliance type of football where they're just dribbling and running past plavers. In
Lyon, you are building and you are valuing the ball so much in possession. Like if you're not stringing together five or six passes it's almost a failure ... that's how I like to play. I like to play with the ball. I like to manipulate defenders, teams, and be able to score off of those kinds of opportunities."

And that is exactly what we are seeing in this tournament. USWNT looking for one moment of individual brilliance but not being to control a game through possession or systematically break down a defense.

Last edited:
A function of the US not winning their group and the conjectural nature of these rankings.

France coming on strong; England; Japan; Spain, Sweden all look like much better takes than the US right now.

On a soccer blog, they posted this interesting from Lindsay Horan (from a weeks before the world cup started, which she comments on the difference between playing in Europe and the US leagues):

And that is exactly what we are seeing in this tournament. USWNT looking for one moment of individual brilliance but not being to control a game through possession or systematically break down a defense.
That makes a lot of sense.

Switzerland and Norway played on the back foot and both got smoked. The way Japan possessed the ball in Norway's end, that score could have been just as lopsided as Spain/Swiss.

Yes, Norway played far too conservatively. The last 15 minutes showed they could have caused some real problems for Japan with their size advantages in the box.

Japan was very good again but I think this game better reflected their base-line level of play rather than Spain. In that game, their counterattacks were video game perfection. In this game, you saw the first touches were not always as precise and the passes not always perfect which allowed Norway to defend.

Japan's 3rd goal was very much like what they scored against Spain.

Am just now watching our USA Portugal game, am at the half so far.

Although both Morgan and L.Williams had chances they coulda shoulda woulda put in, I had no idea how bad this reffing was. Any 50-50 contact where we got the ball and they didn't ... award foul for them. Lavelle's yellow was not warranted.

OK, am watching the 2nd half now. The S. Smith yellow card? The D. Silva flop in the box at the 66 min. mark? This ref must own so many Brooklyn Bridges. She must have never ever watched a Mexican league game. Wow.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Ha: I'm at a Hyatt Hotel. I turned on the TV a few minutes ago to watch the game and there is no Fox Channel---and thus no game broadcast--because of some sort of pricing dispute between Hyatt and DirectTV or Nexstar Broadcasting, I'm not sure, but I'm pissed. I have to listen to the game on Sirius. Sux!

I see where Chris Henderson rates the Vols 6th best in the SEC this season. I suppose that is about right given the loss of two top players and the uncertain quality of the coaching after the results of last season.

VN Store

Back