⚽️ Lady Vols Soccer

The former Purdue coach spoke very highly of Cuneio in an interview I saw. A nice get. We need a defensive midfielder. I thought Mitchell might
slot into that role but she played very little last year and, if we don't get a transfer defensive mid, we'll be starting someone with little or no experience at the position, which won't be good.

Latino, from Penn State, is certainly an intriguing pickup. She's a midfielder who came out of club soccer 2 years ago with a lot of accolades--a four-star player and ranked No. 38 in the country by Top Drawer. (Let's acknowledge that individual rankings in all sports are highly subjective and can't be taken too seriously), but you don't accumulate the article list she had on Top Drawer (it's long) without being talented.

She played for the New Jersey-based ECNL club PDA Blue--and PDA is one of the top ECNL clubs on the east coast. On PDA she played with Vol sophomore Leah Klurman--whom I just watched on Hudl score a couple of goals for PDA a couple of years ago, and I saw a few goals from Latino as well. (I've wondered about Klurman and why she didn't play this past season--and apparently the reason is she was one of our many injured players. I assume a knee injury? In any case, let's hope she's recovering well.)

Latino did not play much at Pa. State. She was redshirted as a freshman and so didn't play at all. This past season, as best I can tell, she only played in 3 games, coming in a sub in games against three of Pa. State's weaker opponents. There were three sophomore mids at Pa. State who played regularly this past season, and so one can assume that Latino did not see the prospect of starting next year, either, and that prompted her decision to transfer. (I don't know if she had an injury that contributed to her getting a redshirt her freshman year.) It's not a great sign, IMO, when someone who is a four-star player with her accolades doesn't play much at all in two years---but Pa. State regularly brings in top 5 classes nationally, so there is a lot of competition. I mean, it happens--it's not terribly unusual; we've had four stars who did not play much and transferred--but it is perhaps not a great sign. I was hoping that she'd be a defensive mid--because we need an experienced defensive mid--but Latino seems to be an attacking mid. She is ot shy about shooting. She had 4 shots in one of her Pa. State appearances, and 1 each in the other two. In a few PDA cllips that I watched she took a lot of shots from outside the box--long shots. She seems a pretty good shooter, and hit some of them well--but not well enough to score from 20/25 yards out--and one might argue that some of them were ill-advised and that perhaps she was being a bit impetuous and should have worked the ball around more. Ironically, the longest shot she took--had to be from 30 years--was well hit and placed and went in the net. So, she seems to enjoy shooting--and we certainly need more good shooting.

Our own Jenna Stayart, who is a midfielder who played a lot this year, has a good leg and is a good shooter--maybe the best shooter on the team, based on what I've seen. Problem was, she just didn't get many shooting opportunities this past season. We, as a team, didn't find good shooting lanes enough this past season, didn't generate enough good shots, and didn't shoot the ball particularly well. It's why we struggled in some games to score. We do need better shooting. Latino may help in that respect, we'll have to see. One thing is certain--we will have a /lot/ of midfielders this year. We now have 7 midfielders (not even counting Katz, who is either a mid or an outside back), and 3 coming in as freshmen.. It should be a position of strength and I'd like to see us play with four mids---as we did the year we won 20 games. We probably should have done it this past season.....

(Yes, I can write at length about anything. Apologies!)

Latino, from Penn State, is certainly an intriguing pickup. She's a midfielder who came out of club soccer 2 years ago with a lot of accolades--a four-star player and ranked No. 38 in the country by Top Drawer. (Let's acknowledge that individual rankings in all sports are highly subjective and can't be taken too seriously), but you don't accumulate the article list she had on Top Drawer (it's long) without being talented.

She played for the New Jersey-based ECNL club PDA Blue--and PDA is one of the top ECNL clubs on the east coast. On PDA she played with Vol sophomore Leah Klurman--whom I just watched on Hudl score a couple of goals for PDA a couple of years ago, and I saw a few goals from Latino as well. (I've wondered about Klurman and why she didn't play this past season--and apparently the reason is she was one of our many injured players. I assume a knee injury? In any case, let's hope she's recovering well.)

Latino did not play much at Pa. State. She was redshirted as a freshman and so didn't play at all. This past season, as best I can tell, she only played in 3 games, coming in a sub in games against three of Pa. State's weaker opponents. There were three sophomore mids at Pa. State who played regularly this past season, and so one can assume that Latino did not see the prospect of starting next year, either, and that prompted her decision to transfer. (I don't know if she had an injury that contributed to her getting a redshirt her freshman year.) It's not a great sign, IMO, when someone who is a four-star player with her accolades doesn't play much at all in two years---but Pa. State regularly brings in top 5 classes nationally, so there is a lot of competition. I mean, it happens--it's not terribly unusual; we've had four stars who did not play much and transferred--but it is perhaps not a great sign. I was hoping that she'd be a defensive mid--because we need an experienced defensive mid--but Latino seems to be an attacking mid. She is ot shy about shooting. She had 4 shots in one of her Pa. State appearances, and 1 each in the other two. In a few PDA cllips that I watched she took a lot of shots from outside the box--long shots. She seems a pretty good shooter, and hit some of them well--but not well enough to score from 20/25 yards out--and one might argue that some of them were ill-advised and that perhaps she was being a bit impetuous and should have worked the ball around more. Ironically, the longest shot she took--had to be from 30 years--was well hit and placed and went in the net. So, she seems to enjoy shooting--and we certainly need more good shooting.

Our own Jenna Stayart, who is a midfielder who played a lot this year, has a good leg and is a good shooter--maybe the best shooter on the team, based on what I've seen. Problem was, she just didn't get many shooting opportunities this past season. We, as a team, didn't find good shooting lanes enough this past season, didn't generate enough good shots, and didn't shoot the ball particularly well. It's why we struggled in some games to score. We do need better shooting. Latino may help in that respect, we'll have to see. One thing is certain--we will have a /lot/ of midfielders this year. We now have 7 midfielders (not even counting Katz, who is either a mid or an outside back), and 3 coming in as freshmen.. It should be a position of strength and I'd like to see us play with four mids---as we did the year we won 20 games. We probably should have done it this past season.....

(Yes, I can write at length about anything. Apologies!)
That was excellent Turbo, enjoyed reading and learning about an incoming transfer.

I had a question for you, I’m seeing where a lot of the clubs are thanking coaches that show up to these national tournaments and watch some of their games. Noticing Tennessee hasn’t been sending any, is this because we don’t need to be scouting for 2025 players or another reason?

Maybe they are listed and I just don’t see them?

Here are a few examples.

IMG_5103.jpegIMG_5104.jpeg

That was excellent Turbo, enjoyed reading and learning about an incoming transfer.

I had a question for you, I’m seeing where a lot of the clubs are thanking coaches that show up to these national tournaments and watch some of their games. Noticing Tennessee hasn’t been sending any, is this because we don’t need to be scouting for 2025 players or another reason?

Here are a few examples.

View attachment 600422View attachment 600423

Here are a few examples.

View attachment 600422View attachment 600423

Mad: What are these two events? ECNL or something else--Nationals?--and where held?

There are several ECNL "showcase" events yearly, in different cities around the country, and some attract higher-quality teams--and more P5 coaches-- than others. I think three of the most prominent events are the ECNL showcase tournaments in Phoenix, Lakewood Ranch, Florida (south of Tampa), and Richmond, which annually hosts the ECNL championship semis and finals for the various age groups. I think the Phoenix event attracts a lot of good teams from California, Texas and elsewhere, and the Florida event naturally gets a lot of east coast ECNL clubs. I saw Pensky at the Richmond championship matches several years ago. Some events will attract more smaller programs than P5 programs. They are interesting to attend--the sidelines lined with coaches with programs and notebooks, checking out various players--especially those in U15 or 16s matches, as everybody wants to get a head start at spotting young talent.

There is also another good club league--maybe called Nationals---that holds showcases, though I think ECNL is the more prominent club organization. I did notice that our logo was not listed at the Tennessee showcase--and, right, it is not listed with either of these events, which attracted a fairly impressive mix of bigger and smaller programs. I'm sure one or more of our coaches goes to the Florida and Richmond events regularly--and maybe Phoenix as well. They may go to others, I don't really know. There is certainly a hierarchy of ECNL clubs--at least three in southern California, a couple in Texas, PDA in NJ. Colorado has two, Ohio two, Michigan Hawks (Midgley), Richmond/no. Virginia, North Carolina, Atlanta, off the top of my head. Big programs will go to the showcases where most of these teams are playing.

We already have at least 4 2025 commits, which may explain why they didn't attend Tennessee or the other two events you listed. As I say, there are quite a number of them, and coaches pick and choose. We have a 2025 commit from a defender who plays for the Slammers Football Club, based in Costa Mesa, California and one of the best ECNL clubs in the country year in and year out. I hope she sticks with us based on her club affiliation alone. It's not easy pulling kids from the West as most stay somewhat close to home.

Yes, but at the Lady Vols' expense. I for one am not an admirer of Pensky.
He was on Tony Basilio’s show yesterday as Tony was just glorifying and feeding his ego. I don’t know the man but he came across to me as if he was faking humility. He dropped a bombshell apparently as they discussed his interview with FSU. Seems his UT contract was pending renewal and in limbo for some time when he had the FSU interview scheduled. Hours before, FSU contacted UT as a courtesy and the renewed contract immediately showed up in Pensky’s inbox. If true, not a good look for UT.

He was on Tony Basilio’s show yesterday as Tony was just glorifying and feeding his ego. I don’t know the man but he came across to me as if he was faking humility. He dropped a bombshell apparently as they discussed his interview with FSU. Seems his UT contract was pending renewal and in limbo for some time when he had the FSU interview scheduled. Hours before, FSU contacted UT as a courtesy and the renewed contract immediately showed up in Pensky’s inbox. If true, not a good look for UT.
That is interesting. Would it have made a difference? Maybe.
Did he bring in a new staff or was everyone kept from the previous coach?

That is interesting. Would it have made a difference? Maybe.
Did he bring in a new staff or was everyone kept from the previous coach?

That is interesting. It tells me that White wants to be cheap with our non-revenue coaches, some of whom are/have been among the best coaches at the school. He gave Kredich a measly pay raise when he extended him recently--I believe it was only $10K, which is astounding given that Kredich is one of the best swimming coaches in the country--very well respected and two SEC titles with the women in the last four years. And now we hear that White apparently dithered with Pensky.

That said, I'm quite sure Pensky would have jumped ship anyway. I don't know what he's making at FSU, but it's certainly significantly more than he was making at UT. Whatever raise he got with the contract renewal here probably wasn't huge, I'm guessing--maybe $25-$40 K more, if that.

Pensky is now on top of the collegiate soccer mountain. A UNC fan jokingly suggesdted that they should hire him to replace Dorrance. That won't happen. Meanwhile, the FSU athletic director looks like a genius--and White? Not so much.

RE Staffing: I found it quite interesting that Pensky didn't take Morgan or Kirt with him to FSU, because when Krikorian left FSU, his assistants left, too. So Pensky needed assistants. Why neither of the longtime Vol assistants joined him, I don't know. Maybe there were family reasons--wife didn't want to move, kids happy in school here, etc. Maybe there was a bit of underlying personal friction. Who knows. Coaches often, but not always, bring current staff with them to new jobs. I have to think that either Morgan or Kirt, or both, would have joined Pensky at FSU if he had asked. It is a level above us as a program, let's be honest, and if Pensky is making good money there--and he is--the assistants probably would have got a bump in pay, too, if they'd gone. Maybe he asked one or both, and they demurred. It might be more liikely that he didn't ask them to join him--but that's just speculation.

It's a question I would have wanted to ask Pensky, if I was Basilio. Actually, what you do, as a radio host or reporter, is bring it up with the interviewee before the on-air interview, get the response, and then maybe you bring it up on air...or not...as the reasons could be sensitive, and if they are maybe you avoid it as a topic. But if Pensky had said, before the on-air interivew, "Well, I asked one of them, but he said he is happy in Knoxville and at UT and wants to keep his child in school here," blah,blah, then maybe it could discussed publicly. As it happened, Pensky hired two new assistants--one of whom had been a club coach for Richmond United and I don't believe had any collegiate coaching experience. But it's certainly worked out for that group.

Last edited:
Zoe Cuneio highlights from this past season. I hope she's official to the Vols.

She is a good passer, and a good long passer--can hit the cross-field diagonal pass that is the mark of a big, accurate leg. And there are a lot of passes by her here! Don't see many defensive plays, but she moves pretty well and is physical.

Zoe Cuneio highlights from this past season. I hope she's official to the Vols.

She is a good passer, and a good long passer--can hit the cross-field diagonal pass that is the mark of a big, accurate leg. And there are a lot of passes by her here! Don't see many defensive plays, but she moves pretty well and is physical.

Very impressive highlights, looking forward to her joining the team next year.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I read on another board, a post from someone who seems to be close to the program, that UNC is a bit of turmoil right now.
Emily Colton, their excellent midfielder (junior this past year) is said to be in the portal, Ally Sentnor, their outstanding scorer, is supposedly
turning pro, others leaving. Supposedly, according to the poster, a lot of the players are not fans of Dorrance. He writes that a female assistant coach resigned just before the season started. Don't know if any of it is true, but
this is the second post I've read of ructions within the Heels program. We'll know soon whether some of these rumors are true or not.

Having said that, while Fusco had bright spots last season, I also was very frustrated with her inability to put a shot on target the majority of the time. Will be interesting to see how and who Kirt fills that role with.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
Woods seems a good pickup. We absolutely needed an experienced wide forward with the departure of Lawton (sad). In fact, Woods may
be, at this moment, the ONLY experienced wide forward we have. (I've been hoping to track down some Michigan highlights showing her in action but haven't found any.) She played on the same good Michigan Hawks ECNL club as Midgley, though as Woods is older I doubt they were on the same teams. Actually, no: Bartholomew got some playing time at left forward last year. She didn't play much, but it's clear that she's not without talent.

Greiner could have/should have gotten some serious minutes at wide right forward last year--as I've said, seems like a more natural position for her than the center forward position she played as a sub this past season--but that would have required forward and better thinking at the top. And watch, she'll be a wide forward next season.

I think we should have some good young freshman talent at wide forward, and let's hope we see them. Reese Mattern, out of northern Virginia, has some impressive tape: Good size, excellent speed (runs very well) and shoots well. I think she's got a lot of potential. So does Kayla Barr, if she comes back from her knee surgery and feels good and runs as well (or better) than she did before the injury. She had some terrific highlights. Nyla Blye is another winger we'll be eager to see. And Greiner--very speedy--is just getting started. Speed is realy the first thing a wide forward needs (and something one of our starters all this past season didn't have--imagine that), and after that it's about your ball skills, soccer IQ and decision-making.

Good grief: Fusco leaving is terrible. I've admired her as a player since she stepped on the field as a freshman. This stings. I frankly and fully blame Kirt for it. We haven't been winning games since he took over: That is PLAIN.
We went from 20 wins to 11 wins his first year, with the same damn team save one starter, and then 9 wins last year--and we were lucky to get to nine. I think our better players realize things are off. Fusco certainly needs to keep improving her shooting--but she's an excellent attacking midfielder: very competitive, works hard on defense, makes good runs with the ball, good soccer IQ. She is a big loss. That she just saw pal Huff leave and win a national title certainly didn't help. Is Fusco going to transfer to FSU, too? I don't know, but I'm pissed.

Now, the signing of Latino, the Pa. State transfer, makes sense. I didn't understand getting her because she plays Fusco's position--and while she seems a confident player who wants to play, she wasn't going to supplant Fusco as a starter. Problem is, she's not likely to be as good as Fusco. Fusco came in and not only started but was good from day one as a true freshman. Latino was at Pa. State for two years--redshirted last year and then didn't play much this year. One wonders why. I mean, one reason is that Pa. State recruits at a very high level, and so she surely faced more competition than Fusco did when she arrived; I don't think we even had another attacking mid when Jordan was a freshman. So we'll see what Latino can do--and we'll have a bunch of other young mids as well.

I think given the reality of the portal these days, a coach has to win games, show that he/she has got it together; show that the program is strong and a contender for titles, or you could/will lose some of your best players. I had concerns about Kirt when he was hired--and early concern as morphed into acute anxiety, dread and simmering discontent as I've watched his perplexing decision-making and the deterioration of our performances and record.

Time to put on my hari kari soundtrack....

VN Store

Back