⚽️ Lady Vols Soccer

Woods seems a good pickup. We absolutely needed an experienced wide forward with the departure of Lawton (sad). In fact, Woods may
be, at this moment, the ONLY experienced wide forward we have. (I've been hoping to track down some Michigan highlights showing her in action but haven't found any.) She played on the same good Michigan Hawks ECNL club as Midgley, though as Woods is older I doubt they were on the same teams. Actually, no: Bartholomew got some playing time at left forward last year. She didn't play much, but it's clear that she's not without talent.

Greiner could have/should have gotten some serious minutes at wide right forward last year--as I've said, seems like a more natural position for her than the center forward position she played as a sub this past season--but that would have required forward and better thinking at the top. And watch, she'll be a wide forward next season.

I think we should have some good young freshman talent at wide forward, and let's hope we see them. Reese Mattern, out of northern Virginia, has some impressive tape: Good size, excellent speed (runs very well) and shoots well. I think she's got a lot of potential. So does Kayla Barr, if she comes back from her knee surgery and feels good and runs as well (or better) than she did before the injury. She had some terrific highlights. Nyla Blye is another winger we'll be eager to see. And Greiner--very speedy--is just getting started. Speed is realy the first thing a wide forward needs (and something one of our starters all this past season didn't have--imagine that), and after that it's about your ball skills, soccer IQ and decision-making.

Having said that, while Fusco had bright spots last season, I also was very frustrated with her inability to put a shot on target the majority of the time. Will be interesting to see how and who Kirt fills that role with.

Fusco should have pro aspirations--and if she can improve her shooting, she has the potential to be a good pro. But I wouldn't think she's going pro now. I assume she and Simmonds will sign with other schools, if they haven't already. They will not lack for suitors. Fusco is a very good soccer player. Simmonds is an outstanding athlete who needs to become a better soccer player--and one could watch her play and then watch Lawton come in for her and play lots more effectively to see the difference. But Simmonds probably shouldn't have been playing wide in the first place.

Congrats to Nyla Blue, great player from a great family! With a mother that is a V4L in Ace Clement and a dad that played football at Carson Newman and they have another daughter that will hopefully be a V4L in a few years also! Can’t wait to see what she can do at TN!

Congrats to Nyla Blue, great player from a great family! With a mother that is a V4L in Ace Clement and a dad that played football at Carson Newman and they have another daughter that will hopefully be a V4L in a few years also! Can’t wait to see what she can do at TN!

It’s live but you can go back to the start.

Last edited:
RE the All American game, we had two commits who started at forward in that game maybe five years ago--and both had good games and played a lot. They both looked like good players---good size, skills, one quite fast. They get to UT and one gets a lot of minutes at forward as a freshman, I thought she had good potential--I think she led the team in Shot on Goal percentage--then the next season Pensky tries to play her as a wingback. Not a good move--too tall for wingback, she didn't like it, didn't work--and the next year she transferred to Dayton. The other forward didn't play much at all and transferred as well--to a bad Holy Cross team. I guess she wasn't all that after all. Perplexing.

My point: You never know. College is a whole new game. Higher level of competition--within your own team to get minutes and with the opposition, plus coaches might move you to a position that doesn't fit you well, etc. Lots of variables. Lots of players come in with accolades but they often don't mean much when you get to this level. Look at the player we've signed from Pa. State. Here's wishing all our players turn out great.

He was on Tony Basilio’s show yesterday as Tony was just glorifying and feeding his ego. I don’t know the man but he came across to me as if he was faking humility. He dropped a bombshell apparently as they discussed his interview with FSU. Seems his UT contract was pending renewal and in limbo for some time when he had the FSU interview scheduled. Hours before, FSU contacted UT as a courtesy and the renewed contract immediately showed up in Pensky’s inbox. If true, not a good look for UT.
It was one of several reasons why the member of Danny’s staff responsible for coaching contracts and “championship resources“ was recently let go. That was the first major blunder that person was responsible for.

As many here know, I do contract law for a living, mostly entertainment and high profile employment contracts. Outside of sometimes men’s basketball, ADs are not directly involved in most coaching contracts, despite how many times someone here says they are.

He was on Tony Basilio’s show yesterday as Tony was just glorifying and feeding his ego. I don’t know the man but he came across to me as if he was faking humility. He dropped a bombshell apparently as they discussed his interview with FSU. Seems his UT contract was pending renewal and in limbo for some time when he had the FSU interview scheduled. Hours before, FSU contacted UT as a courtesy and the renewed contract immediately showed up in Pensky’s inbox. If true, not a good look for UT.

I didn't hear the interview. However, I trust Clad in Big Orange's take.

My problem with the FSU coach is he seems to be saying his decision to take the FSU interview was due to Tennessee not being faster on his contract extension. I guess that could be true. But according to a KNS article the FSU coach had signed his extension with Tennessee with a pay increase from $185,000 to $250,000 a month before accepting the FSU job. I doubt Tennessee gave him a $65,000 pay increase without numerous meetings. I feel like the FSU coach knew he was valued here.

Currently, FSU is a better job than Tennessee. I get it. The FSU coach could have said FSU being in the ACC, where I got my start was an opportunity I could not resist. Full stop.

In other news Coach Angela Kelly current soccer coach at Texas since 2011 and former coach at Tennesse won the Big 12 Tournament this year. She won the Big 12 Conference regular season last year for her first win in the Big 12 since leaving Tennessee. Her salary in 2019 was $212,635.

The current FSU coach only won one tournament and no regular season championships at Tennessee in his tenure. I think Tennessee was very fair.

Last edited:
It was one of several reasons why the member of Danny’s staff responsible for coaching contracts and “championship resources“ was recently let go. That was the first major blunder that person was responsible for.

As many here know, I do contract law for a living, mostly entertainment and high profile employment contracts. Outside of sometimes men’s basketball, ADs are not directly involved in most coaching contracts, despite how many times someone here says they are.
Did he want to stay here?

So we just swapped players…
Yes, but I'd say that Penn State got the better of the swap, because Fusco is a more experienced and accomplished player. I also worry--now that the swap as been made--that Fusco is the more complete player, in that she plays hard and, for an attacking mid, is a rigorous defensive player. Fusco has been, what, 2nd team All SEC--I can't exactly remember, but she's recognized as a very good player--which is why she's gone to one of the top programs in the country. Latino was a top prospect but is unproven; in two years at Penn State, she played little, so we don't know what to expect from her. Will she play on both ends of the field as competitively as Fusco? Until we see what Latino can do, I'd say this is a net negative swap for us. But of course I/we hope she comes into her own, fulfills her potential as a Vol.

Finally, it's simply not a good sign when a player leaves before her senior year. It's an obvious act of unhappiness with the state of the team---and that's a judgment on Kirt. It's pretty rare for players to transfer after playing for three years. Younger players transfer (see the two rising sophs we picked up)--and 5th years transfer (see the two we got last year and the Michigan transfer we've gained now). But a rising senior? It happens, but not very offen. She's going to a team with a more experienced and far more accomplished coach--that's just a fact. Her thinking, no doubt is: "I've got one year left, I want to make the most of it." Penn State got to what, the regional finals in the NCAA, I believe. And this is the risk in this age of the portal: Good players will not stick with teams that are not getting it done. Some can say, oh, we were eastern division co-champs last year and have been to the NCAA both years--and won an NCAA game this year (rather miraculously)--but that's mostly PR. The records and results tell a different story; we've gone backwards since being ranked no. 6 in the country at the end of 2021.

Tennessee is a very strong brand in college athletics--it's why we recuit well generally across many sports and we get transfers from Penn State and Michigan and Purdue. We've got a good reputation, great facilities, fans, etc. But you gotta have the great coaching as well; otherwise, all the rest doesn't get you much in the end. Our women's basketball program is a massive example of that.

Yes, but I'd say that Penn State got the better of the swap, because Fusco is a more experienced and accomplished player. I also worry--now that the swap as been made--that Fusco is the more complete player, in that she plays hard and, for an attacking mid, is a rigorous defensive player. Fusco has been, what, 2nd team All SEC--I can't exactly remember, but she's recognized as a very good player--which is why she's gone to one of the top programs in the country. Latino was a top prospect but is unproven; in two years at Penn State, she played little, so we don't know what to expect from her. Will she play on both ends of the field as competitively as Fusco? Until we see what Latino can do, I'd say this is a net negative swap for us. But of course I/we hope she comes into her own, fulfills her potential as a Vol.

Finally, it's simply not a good sign when a player leaves before her senior year. It's an obvious act of unhappiness with the state of the team---and that's a judgment on Kirt. It's pretty rare for players to transfer after playing for three years. Younger players transfer (see the two rising sophs we picked up)--and 5th years transfer (see the two we got last year and the Michigan transfer we've gained now). But a rising senior? It happens, but not very offen. She's going to a team with a more experienced and far more accomplished coach--that's just a fact. Her thinking, no doubt is: "I've got one year left, I want to make the most of it." Penn State got to what, the regional finals in the NCAA, I believe. And this is the risk in this age of the portal: Good players will not stick with teams that are not getting it done. Some can say, oh, we were eastern division co-champs last year and have been to the NCAA both years--and won an NCAA game this year (rather miraculously)--but that's mostly PR. The records and results tell a different story; we've gone backwards since being ranked no. 6 in the country at the end of 2021.

Tennessee is a very strong brand in college athletics--it's why we recuit well generally across many sports and we get transfers from Penn State and Michigan and Purdue. We've got a good reputation, great facilities, fans, etc. But you gotta have the great coaching as well; otherwise, all the rest doesn't get you much in the end. Our women's basketball program is a massive example of that.
What players did Pensky grab on his way out? To include incoming recruits? I beg yer pardon to whoever answers… I just got home from a Christmas celebration… 🍾 🤣

Reactions: MAD
I read on another board, a post from someone who seems to be close to the program, that UNC is a bit of turmoil right now.
Emily Colton, their excellent midfielder (junior this past year) is said to be in the portal, Ally Sentnor, their outstanding scorer, is supposedly
turning pro, others leaving. Supposedly, according to the poster, a lot of the players are not fans of Dorrance. He writes that a female assistant coach resigned just before the season started. Don't know if any of it is true, but
this is the second post I've read of ructions within the Heels program. We'll know soon whether some of these rumors are true or not.
Anyone listen to Dorrance speak over the last 5-10 years? It's all about him. Fact is, Dorrance came into women's soccer when no one hardly knew that women's soccer existed (heck, there were only x3 college teams... i'm being facetious, but you get the point). He literally bullied and manipulated recruiting (until Stanford and FSU out smarted him). Dorrance monopolized the pipeline to the National team (literally, national team coaches would direct players to UNC - 'if you don't play for a program like UNC, you won't be able to play for the National team'). The guy was recruiting 5th and 6th graders!! I appreciate the competitive nature of his locker room, and what he was able to achieve as a pioneer in women's college soccer. However, a lot of his tactics are the root cause of many of the problems we see in women's soccer today. It might not be a bad idea to see him exit the sport and take his achievments with him.

RE the All American game, we had two commits who started at forward in that game maybe five years ago--and both had good games and played a lot. They both looked like good players---good size, skills, one quite fast. They get to UT and one gets a lot of minutes at forward as a freshman, I thought she had good potential--I think she led the team in Shot on Goal percentage--then the next season Pensky tries to play her as a wingback. Not a good move--too tall for wingback, she didn't like it, didn't work--and the next year she transferred to Dayton. The other forward didn't play much at all and transferred as well--to a bad Holy Cross team. I guess she wasn't all that after all. Perplexing.

My point: You never know. College is a whole new game. Higher level of competition--within your own team to get minutes and with the opposition, plus coaches might move you to a position that doesn't fit you well, etc. Lots of variables. Lots of players come in with accolades but they often don't mean much when you get to this level. Look at the player we've signed from Pa. State. Here's wishing all our players turn out great.
Good points.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
Anyone listen to Dorrance speak over the last 5-10 years? It's all about him. Fact is, Dorrance came into women's soccer when no one hardly knew that women's soccer existed (heck, there were only x3 college teams... i'm being facetious, but you get the point). He literally bullied and manipulated recruiting (until Stanford and FSU out smarted him). Dorrance monopolized the pipeline to the National team (literally, national team coaches would direct players to UNC - 'if you don't play for a program like UNC, you won't be able to play for the National team'). The guy was recruiting 5th and 6th graders!! I appreciate the competitive nature of his locker room, and what he was able to achieve as a pioneer in women's college soccer. However, a lot of his tactics are the root cause of many of the problems we see in women's soccer today. It might not be a bad idea to see him exit the sport and take his achievments with him.
I recall an interview with him (maybe in the New York Times?) in which he said essentially that Lindsay Horan is a great player, but she would have been greater at a younger age had she played for UNC. He really monopolized that UNC to the USWNT pipeline, aided by his own history coaching at the national level. With kids going pro now in high school the game is seemingly changing quickly. I grew up in NC as a UNC fan, so I respect him tremendously but agree that he’s had some perhaps less positive impacts upon the game.

I listened to interview with Dorrance after what I think was their first NCAA win a couple of weeks ago. He's still quite sharp for a guy who's coached as long as he has. For all the comments about him and the program, UNC has been to the College Cup three of the last five years--and has been in the championship game twice. He (and everybody) else have been chasing FSU the last few years, so that's a change for him and his program, but they are still elite, obviously. In fact, he's had so many good players on his roster that roster management--and team continuity--has been a bit of a challenge. He has talented freshman come in, start, play well, make the ACC All Freshman team--and the next year they're playing reduced minutes and coming off the bench because another talented freshmen came in and took her starting spot. In any case, I suspect he'll continue to coach for at least another year or two. There's no doubt that he'd like to go out with another national title.

They had a 5th year in the portal who plays the 6, and plays it very well, whom it would have been great to land---but she's opted for Wake Forest.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
I read on another board, a post from someone who seems to be close to the program, that UNC is a bit of turmoil right now.
Emily Colton, their excellent midfielder (junior this past year) is said to be in the portal, Ally Sentnor, their outstanding scorer, is supposedly
turning pro, others leaving. Supposedly, according to the poster, a lot of the players are not fans of Dorrance. He writes that a female assistant coach resigned just before the season started. Don't know if any of it is true, but
this is the second post I've read of ructions within the Heels program. We'll know soon whether some of these rumors are true or not.
This isn’t a good look for North Carolina

IMG_5662.jpeg

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back