⚽️ Lady Vols Soccer

We're seeing an uptick in super-talented young American players turn pro, sort of emulating the European model. If a teen shows a ton of
potential and gets an offer from a pro club, she's likely to turn pro these days--though some may still opt to go to college. I don't know what sort of offers these 15/17/18 year-olds are getting. It's important to know that signing a pro contract as a 15/17 year old doesn't mean you're going to make it as a pro. Some won't--and that's been an issue in Europe and South Africa as a lot of boys--and now, to a lesser degree ,girls--start training with the youth teams of pro clubs at age 8 or 10--and it essentially becomes their lives, with a bit of schooling mixed in--for a number of years. How long they stick with the club depends on how well they develop. Those who develop and show considerable promise stick, those who don't get cut at some point, which can be devastating for kids who've devoted years to pursuing a soccer career.

Of course there are different pro levels, and there are a lot of players who are good enough to play professionally in a second-or third division pro league but not for the senior club. Our own Shae Yanez played for England's second division--which has some quality soccer teams-- for about three years before being signed by San Diego of the NWSL. And then you have players who are good enough to play for senior clubs in Europe--but they may be lower table clubs in prominent leagues or clubs in lesser leagues like Portugal or Iceland, most of which have less money, lesser facilities, lower pay.

One of Pensky's first blue-chip signings was a midfielder from Northern Virginia named Carlyn Baldwin. She played for the U.S. Under 20 NT and played in the 2014 U20 World Cup. Her father was the primary owner the Washington Spirit from 2018 to 2022. Baldwin was a good but not great player for us--and then as a junior, I believe, tore ligaments in her one of her ankles pretty badly. As I recall, she lost a season here, then signed to play professionally with a Swiss team in 2016. She played one year for that team, then has spent her career ever since playing in the Portuguese League. It's not a great league--one hardly hears of it--but she's played in Champions League matches and is still playing in that country. I don't think she's been good enough to play for better teams in better European leagues--she signed with Benfica, a well-enough club in the Spanish League--a couple of years ago, but the contract was terminated after a couple of months. Neverthess, I assume she's had a wonderful international experiernce.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
We're seeing an uptick in super-talented young American players turn pro, sort of emulating the European model. If a teen shows a ton of
potential and gets an offer from a pro club, she's likely to turn pro these days--though some may still opt to go to college. I don't know what sort of offers these 15/17/18 year-olds are getting. It's important to know that signing a pro contract as a 15/17 year old doesn't mean you're going to make it as a pro. Some won't--and that's been an issue in Europe and South Africa as a lot of boys--and now, to a lesser degree ,girls--start training with the youth teams of pro clubs at age 8 or 10--and it essentially becomes their lives, with a bit of schooling mixed in--for a number of years. How long they stick with the club depends on how well they develop. Those who develop and show considerable promise stick, those who don't get cut at some point, which can be devastating for kids who've devoted years to pursuing a soccer career.

Of course there are different pro levels, and there are a lot of players who are good enough to play professionally in a second-or third division pro league but not for the senior club. Our own Shae Yanez played for England's second division--which has some quality soccer teams-- for about three years before being signed by San Diego of the NWSL. And then you have players who are good enough to play for senior clubs in Europe--but they may be lower table clubs in prominent leagues or clubs in lesser leagues like Portugal or Iceland, most of which have less money, lesser facilities, lower pay.

One of Pensky's first blue-chip signings was a midfielder from Northern Virginia named Carlyn Baldwin. She played for the U.S. Under 20 NT and played in the 2014 U20 World Cup. Her father was the primary owner the Washington Spirit from 2018 to 2022. Baldwin was a good but not great player for us--and then as a junior, I believe, tore ligaments in her one of her ankles pretty badly. As I recall, she lost a season here, then signed to play professionally with a Swiss team in 2016. She played one year for that team, then has spent her career ever since playing in the Portuguese League. It's not a great league--one hardly hears of it--but she's played in Champions League matches and is still playing in that country. I don't think she's been good enough to play for better teams in better European leagues--she signed with Benfica, a well-enough club in the Spanish League--a couple of years ago, but the contract was terminated after a couple of months. Neverthess, I assume she's had a wonderful international experiernce.
Turbo…. You are nothing if not thorough… 🤣

Reactions: MAD

She is doing great at Braga, looks like she is picking up Portuguese.

IMG_5677.jpeg

Reactions: turbovol
Reactions: MAD
Like so much under Kirt, our goalie situation this past year was weird. I fully expected Reisz to be our starter because she was a top
goalkeeper prospect and athletic--she played a lot of forward in high school (and was good at the position) before becoming a full-time keeper--and Zazzara, if I'm candid, doesn't look like a classic keeper; she's not terribly athletic. I was a little surprised to see them splitting time, but then Zazzara had had a year of college experience that Reisz didn't have, and she had played well last year when Romig was out injured.

What was really odd was how many more shots Zazarra seemed to face, playing in the second half, than Reisz faced playing in the first half. It was uncanny. Reisz played half the season and yet I can hardly remember a match when she was tested in the first half whereas the opposition seemed to have lots more quality chances against us and Zazarra in the second half. And for that reason I never got a feel for Reisz's shot-stopping ability--though I'm sure it's good--while Zazarra made a lot of good saves for us in second halves, and no more so than in the NCAA game against Xavier. Even before that, Reisz lost her starting spot after making that unfortunate gaffe against Texas A&M, in the last SEC game, and that was that.

But Reisz is now going to a rising program with a great coach. Pitt had an excellent team last year, and will probably be good for years to come in the tough ACC. It's an excellent opportunity for her, I have a feeling she's going to become an excellent college keeper, and wish her well.

Another UNC player heads to the SEV

View attachment 602728

Damn: Rebimbas is supposed to be very talented. I seriously can't believe she's going to bama. I know little or nothing about her, except what I've read from UNC fans. She didn't play much this past year but was a top recruit and UNC fans says she was a sure starter for the Heels next year. They were more worried about her entering the portal than just about anybody else. Apparently, some 19 players are leaving UNC for one reason or another.
We've lost about 10 ourself. I wonder to what degree other sports benefit at bama, with respect to recruiting, from the success and high profile of their football team. I have to think it's a nice help. I think we have a pretty high profile, overall, but bama football surely provides some slipstream benefits to other coaches there.

It will be interesting to see who has the bigger impact--Rembibas for bama or Latino for us.

Last edited:
It sure would be nice to get an update on the progress of our injured players--state of their respective rehabs, when they might be ready to play again.

Unfortunately, my sense is that very few will be ready to train/play in the spring.

Pensky is running the program there like I wish Tennessee would here. But I am not sure how important it is to the University?

They just put this out about NIL. What have we done?

Pensky is running the program there like I wish Tennessee would here. But I am not sure how important it is to the University.

They just put this out about NIL. What have we done?

I get very frustrated by the NIL (or lack thereof). I donate the BoostHer Club, but that’s pennies seemingly compared to what other programs are doing. Bubba Cunningham at UNC has made some noise about how NIL is hurting their non-revenue sports (particularly women’s sports), and I would imagine that’s the case here too.

VN Store

Back