⚽️ Lady Vols Soccer

I did not understand why Diaz did not play more for us this year. It was another of the Kirt decisions that seemed to make little sense. Kirt was inexplicably fond of senior Nelson at right wing--just as he was inexplicably fond of her at wingback the year before--despite the fact that she didn't have enough speed or dynamism to be effective as a wide forward--and she wasn't effective. Diaz was/is faster than Nelson, might have offered more, actually scored a goal in SEC play, which Nelson didn't do, but he never gave her the minutes to really show out. In the two SEC games where she played the most, she was bright. She might have been upgrade if he'd started her or at least let her play a half, and there was no risk involved--only potential gain, as far as I could see. He didn't do it--didn't try it. It's decisions like this (and there have been more than a few)--and the performance/results falloff that has accompanied them--that has me and others asking questions.

As for what teams I follow, I'm a huge fan of the Dutch women's national team and the Dutch players on it, so I tend to follow those teams that have good Dutch players. For a time that was Arsenal, and it still is to an extent--but I'm po'd that the coach moved Meidema--proflic goal-scoring center-forward--from that position to attacking mid, and then she blew a knee and is only now starting to play again. Arsenal has another Dutch player, Pelova, who is quite good.

I've lately been paying more attention to ManCity---some excellent players including our own Bunny Shaw and another talented Dutch player, Jill Roord. I also follow Lyon a bit (Van de Donk--Dutch!) and PSG (two very good Dutch players--Groenen and Martins). So I'm all over the map!

There was a time when I followed the NWSL somewhat closely but the game aren't readily available for viewing and so I mainly watch highlights once in while. Some good teams in the NWSL.
I like watching City too because of Bunny Shaw and I am a fan of Kelly.

5th year covid players that are not originally from the school from which they take the 'freebie' year, are destructive to team depth and program progression. They don't bleed 'orange'. And, their presence hinders younger player development. Have any of you actually seen a college soccer practice? You may have. But here is a very simple and very clear observation, if an individual player is not in the starting rotation than the number of reps that they participate in significantly drops off. And there's no other training offered to make up for that gap. What ultimately happens is that an under developed player manifests; physically, tactically and mentally. Collegiate athletics may be a gateway to the professional level, but still, it's not professional soccer. Again, any team that is bringing fifth year players in from other schools at this point post Covid, is a program that is making a significant poor decision. Literally, it is harming the productive longevity of the team. Seriously, what is actually gained. One or two wins, maybe. It's not improving the overall program. I can see maybe grabbing a player as a Band-Aid. But in Tennessee's case, we have the talent we just need to engage that talent and make it productive.

My opinions do not reflect the indivial as a person - all great athletes and young women. My discussion is more philosophical.

Reactions: MAD
5th year covid players that are not originally from the school from which they take the 'freebie' year, are destructive to team depth and program progression. They don't bleed 'orange'. And, their presence hinders younger player development. Have any of you actually seen a college soccer practice? You may have. But here is a very simple and very clear observation, if an individual player is not in the starting rotation than the number of reps that they participate in significantly drops off. And there's no other training offered to make up for that gap. What ultimately happens is that an under developed player manifests; physically, tactically and mentally. Collegiate athletics may be a gateway to the professional level, but still, it's not professional soccer. Again, any team that is bringing fifth year players in from other schools at this point post Covid, is a program that is making a significant poor decision. Literally, it is harming the productive longevity of the team. Seriously, what is actually gained. One or two wins, maybe. It's not improving the overall program. I can see maybe grabbing a player as a Band-Aid. But in Tennessee's case, we have the talent we just need to engage that talent and make it productive.

My opinions do not reflect the indivial as a person - all great athletes and young women. My discussion is more philosophical.
The UNC coach seems frustrated with the Covid rules.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Not exactly. The decision to take a 5th year or not should logically depend on the quality of the roster, including the young talent. Yes, you are right: transfers generally can impede or block the develop of younger players. Much depends on the wisdom and talent evaluation of the coach and his or her staff. If you are thin at a position and either don't have young talent at a position or are concerned about the quality of the young players you do have at the position, then you are wise to bring in a transfer or you'll have weak links and lose games. If you've got a promising young player at the position, then, yea, maybe you don't. We brought in a 5th-year transfer forward from Penn last year--Sizzy Lawton--who in fact saved our bacon. She was our best player. We didn't have a good season, by any stretch, but it would have been a disaster without her.

We were thin at wide forward--very thin. In fact, we had one veteran who'd played the position (but was at a different position the year before) but was not a high-quality player; we had a freshman forward with a lot of speed and promise--and then we had three players who were natural center forwards--Thomas, Simmonds and another promising freshman, Runyon. Kirt opted to put Simmonds at left forward, start Runyon at CF, and play Nelson (veteren) at right forward. So he gave Runyon the playing time to develop--and she prospered. However, we struggled in attack as Simmonds and Nelson were not effective. Lawton spent the first third-to-half the season coming in for Simmonds, and was easily a more effective player. Following an injury to Runyon, she finally began starting on the left--and we were a better team because of it. Had Kirt really been smart, IMO, he'd have played the other freshman with speed--Greiner-- at right forward and given her the minutes to develop. Instead, he brought her in as a first-half, 10-minute CF sub, and she didn't get the PT I think she deserved. What's really counterproductive is playing a weakish senior when you have a freshman with the potential to be better.

The coaches also brought in a 5th-year-midfielder--and she helped us a lot when it finally dawned on our coaches that she was a lot better than the starter. Like Lawton, she started the season on the sideline, subbing for a senior defensive mid who, for good reason, had played very little in the previous 3/4 seasons. She made mistakes that cost us goals and results in a couple of games. Eventually, the coaches saw the light and made the 5th year, Agresti, the starter--a determination that should have been made after the first game of the season--and as with Lawton, we were a better team.

Had we not brought in the transfers we did--and our best defensive player was also a transfer (though not a 5th year), we'd have had major problems. Ultimately, you need coaches can astutely evaluate the talent on the team. Our coaches were proactive enough to see weak spots or major holes and bring in transfers to help--but in two cases were also WAY too slow in recognizing that two transfers were easily better than the players who were starting, and that was a problem.

We are again thin at forward, and we've again brought in an experienced and, I think, quality fifth year forward, from Michigan, and I've no doubt that she'll help us. But I certainly agree that you need to give playing time to your young players or they will be very slow to develop...or leave. We needed to find and play a young defensive midfielder last year---as we had two last-year players getting all the playing time--and so where are we at that key position this year? We seem to be looking at starting someone with little or no experience at the spot, and that tends to not be a good thing.

Reactions: brittannica and MAD
I like watching City too because of Bunny Shaw and I am a fan of Kelly.

ManCity has a lot of attacking talent. I like watching Kelly too---very quick and very talented. She can beat defenders with the dribble and is very good at whipping crosses into the box. (Crossing passes need to be lasered into the box because then if a teammate just gets a nod on the ball, it will shoot toward goal and the keeper will have little chance of stopping it. A lot of college players hit high, loopy crosses--not as much pace--and they are harder to head into goal because the receiving player has to generate all the pace on the ball with his or her head, and that's not easy. We were lousy last year at this aspect of the game--not many good crosses and not a single headed goal from a cross.)

Lauren Hemp is another outstanding winger--starter on the England NT. Very quick. Add Bunny, Jill Roord, Mary Fowler (talented sub from Australia)--it's a strong group. .

Reactions: MAD
I did not understand why Diaz did not play more for us this year. It was another of the Kirt decisions that seemed to make little sense. Kirt was inexplicably fond of senior Nelson at right wing--just as he was inexplicably fond of her at wingback the year before--despite the fact that she didn't have enough speed or dynamism to be effective as a wide forward--and she wasn't effective. Diaz was/is faster than Nelson, might have offered more, actually scored a goal in SEC play, which Nelson didn't do, but he never gave her the minutes to really show out. In the two SEC games where she played the most, she was bright. She might have been upgrade if he'd started her or at least let her play a half, and there was no risk involved--only potential gain, as far as I could see. He didn't do it--didn't try it. It's decisions like this (and there have been more than a few)--and the performance/results falloff that has accompanied them--that has me and others asking questions.

As for what teams I follow, I'm a huge fan of the Dutch women's national team and the Dutch players on it, so I tend to follow those teams that have good Dutch players. For a time that was Arsenal, and it still is to an extent--but I'm po'd that the coach moved Meidema--proflic goal-scoring center-forward--from that position to attacking mid, and then she blew a knee and is only now starting to play again. Arsenal has another Dutch player, Pelova, who is quite good.

I've lately been paying more attention to ManCity---some excellent players including our own Bunny Shaw and another talented Dutch player, Jill Roord. I also follow Lyon a bit (Van de Donk--Dutch!) and PSG (two very good Dutch players--Groenen and Martins). So I'm all over the map!

There was a time when I followed the NWSL somewhat closely but the game aren't readily available for viewing and so I mainly watch highlights once in while. Some good teams in the NWSL.
I’m watching Arsenal and Tottenham in the Conti Cup, currently level at 1.
Didn’t realize Meidema was fit but she is in the starting 11.

Reactions: brittannica
This is huge for Mississippi State and bad news for the rest of the SEC.

Reunited Brilliance: Maddy Anderson and Macey Hodge Announce Return for a Thrilling Final Season in the Maroon and White​

IMG_5190.png

STARKVILLE – Mississippi State Soccer is exhilarated to announce the triumphant return of goalkeeper Maddy Anderson and midfielder Macey Hodge for the upcoming season. This formidable duo, renowned for rewriting the record books and achieving historic milestones, brings an unparalleled level of experience, leadership, and skill to the field for an electrifying final season.

Maddy Anderson's Record-Breaking Legacy:
Maddy Anderson, indisputably the best keeper in program history, continues to etch her name in the annals of Mississippi State Women's Soccer with a series of record-breaking accomplishments. Anderson boasts an extraordinary program-high 32 goalkeeper wins and 26 shutouts in her illustrious career. In 2023, she clinched 12 wins, setting a record for goalkeeper wins by a senior, and achieved an impressive save percentage of .818%, another senior-year record. Notably, her goals allowed in 2023 stood at a mere 0.69, showcasing her exceptional defensive prowess.

In the 2023 season alone, Maddy Anderson demonstrated unparalleled resilience, breaking the record for the most goalkeeper minutes played with an astounding 2,092 minutes. She also secured 11 shutouts, setting a new program record for shutouts in a single season. Additionally, Anderson led the Bulldog defensive unit to concede the fewest goals in a single season, allowing only 14 goals in the 2023 campaign.

Anderson's outstanding performance in 2023 earned her Second Team All-SEC Honors, a well-deserved recognition of her exceptional contributions to the team.

Macey Hodge's Impactful Presence:
Senior midfielder Macey Hodge, recently named to the 2023 United Soccer Coaches NCAA Division I Women's All-Southeast Region Second Team, stands as a cornerstone of the Bulldog's success. Hodge's incredible skill set, leadership, and dedication to the game have earned her a well-deserved spot on the First Team within the SEC in 2023. Hodge's impact extends beyond individual accolades, contributing significantly to the team's historic achievements.

Hodge's impressive Bulldog tenure includes a remarkable 73 games played, starting in 72 of them. The native of Douglasville, Georgia, has consistently demonstrated exceptional skill, leadership, and dedication on the pitch. Since joining the Maroon and White in 2020 as a redshirt freshman, she has played a total of 6,470 minutes for the Bulldogs, solidifying her status as one of the best to ever wear the Mississippi State kit.

Shared History and Milestones:
Macey and Maddy have been inseparable since they first stepped onto the pitch together, sharing every piece of Mississippi State history. During the 2023 season, the dynamic duo played pivotal roles in achieving historic milestones, including:
  • First-ever victory at Florida in program history.
  • Remarkable back-to-back triumphs over ranked opponents for the first time in program history.
  • Tying for the most single-season SEC wins in program history.
  • Conceding the fewest goals in program history (14).
  • Reaching the SEC Tournament Semifinals for the first time.
  • Securing back-to-back NCAA Tournament hosting opportunities as the highest seed in program history.
  • In 2022, they achieved the Bulldogs' first-ever victory in the SEC Tournament and the first victory in the NCAA Tournament.

Leadership and Captaincy:
Macey Hodge served as the team captain, as voted by her teammates, in both 2022 and 2023, leading the Bulldogs to historic victories in the SEC and NCAA Tournaments. In 2023, Maddy Anderson joined her with the armband, showcasing the duo's shared leadership and commitment to the team's success.

As Maddy Anderson and Macey Hodge gear up for their final season in the Maroon and White, the Mississippi State Women's Soccer program anticipates a season filled with excitement, skill, and the pursuit of even greater heights. The record-breaking goalkeeper and the midfield maestro are set to lead the Bulldogs on the pitch once again and continue to rewrite history in Starkville

Reactions: brittannica
So I just read that the portal closed yesterday, is that it or does it open up again in the spring?

I just looked at the NCAA transfer schedule and this appears to be it for women's soccer. The portal has closed, so no player can enter it henceforth. Given the very high number of players who enter the portal, I assume there are a fair number of players who have not yet made a decision or found a new school, and so I think there could be more announcements in the days and weeks ahead. I believe players who enter the portal but don't find a new home or change their mind can return to their original school---IF the coach agrees to take them back on the squad. But I don't think that happens too often. Usually, a player's scholarship aid is withdrawn when she enters the portal, and that's another barrier to reentry.

Football has a portal in fall and spring--naturally, it's football!--but most other sports have only the one window, it appears.

Reactions: MAD and chuckiepoo
Did anybody watch the All America game to catch a glimpse of Blue and Stott? I didn't. I watched the game ounce, a few years ago when we had two signees in it, but haven't watched it since.

Probably a good move for Hennessey. She was not going to start for the Vols next season, but may be able to get some good
PT at Oregon, which has a good athletics program, overall, though the Ducks were the worst team in the disappearing Pac12 last year--did
not win a game in the conference: 0-10-1. So they clearly need some help, and maybe Hennessey can provide it. Best of luck to her.

This is the first of it’s kind, a stadium built exclusively for a women’s sports team.

On another note, KC just got a 17 year old North Carolina recruit to sign a pro contract. Didn’t realize that was possible.

She graduated a year early to go play at UNC next fall but instead signed a pro contract.

Also read where she played on the boys team in high school.

Sure seems like UNC is losing a lot of players.

IMG_5215.jpeg
IMG_5213.jpeg

Wait, looks like they also signed a 15 year old.

This is the first of it’s kind, a stadium built exclusively for a women’s sports team.

On another note, KC just got a 17 year old North Carolina recruit to sign a pro contract. Didn’t realize that was possible.

She graduated a year early to go play at UNC next fall but instead signed a pro contract.

Also read where she played on the boys team in high school.

Sure seems like UNC is losing a lot of players.

View attachment 602121
View attachment 602120

Wait, looks like they also signed a 15 year old.

I’m very curious to see if the calculus on college vs. going pro right away changes for players. When everyone was in dire straits about the USWNT early exit at the World Cup some blamed the college system for our inability to keep up internationally. I don’t know whether that is true or not, but it seems like a few very talented players are choosing to not play at the collegiate level.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
I’m very curious to see if the calculus on college vs. going pro right away changes for players. When everyone was in dire straits about the USWNT early exit at the World Cup some blamed the college system for our inability to keep up internationally. I don’t know whether that is true or not, but it seems like a few very talented players are choosing to not play at the collegiate level.
Yeah- my guess is that the pro-teams don't want college players ultimately. The Pros likes to groom their own talent and not have to undo bad habits taught for x4 years in college. If not already in motion, I wouldn't be surprised if pro-teams recruit directly from high school and offer to both provide a salary and tuition assistance at schools within the teams 'radius'. If womens pro soccer survives, in 10 years none of the players will have played in college. My uneducated theory.

Yeah- my guess is that the pro-teams don't want college players ultimately. The Pros likes to groom their own talent and not have to undo bad habits taught for x4 years in college. If not already in motion, I wouldn't be surprised if pro-teams recruit directly from high school and offer to both provide a salary and tuition assistance at schools within the teams 'radius'. If womens pro soccer survives, in 10 years none of the players will have played in college. My uneducated theory.
Sounds like they are shifting toward an MLB model. Still plenty of both hs and collegiate offered and drafted, many years later.

Reactions: brittannica and MAD

VN Store

Back