⚽️ Tennessee Lady Vols Soccer

A bit surprised by the Giannola signing. A California native who played for one of the best ECNL programs in the land,
the San Diego Surf, she was a midfielder starter as a soph for a Ohio State team that was good but not great. The team
had a winning record in the Big 10--5-4-1, as I recall reading, and made the NCAA tourney--but got thumped in the first round by a strong
Pitt team, 0-6. Yikes. She had 4 goals and 2 assists last season. Seems to be left-footed. OSU lost twice, each time by a goal, to Nebraska;
lost by a goal to a good Penn State team; beat a solid Wisconsin squad, tied Mich. State and whipped the Michigan team from which we got two other transfers in the last conference game of the season, 4-1.

I say surprised because we've got 3 midfielders coming in as freshman, including 2 4-stars, plus the transfer Latino from Penn State. What's
more, we had 5 other mids---Midgley, Stayart, Mitchell, Duval and Chatterton. Chatterton and Duval are recovering from knee injuries, so that may have been a factor in this decision--they may not be ready for spring practice--and we are short on experienced mids. Midgley and Stayart have played a lot, Mitchell a bit and Chatterton played outside back before being hurt--hope she's back in the midfield this year when recovered.

Kirt and his staff will need to do a better job of ascertaining who the best players are, and where they should be playing, and how much, than they did last year, I'd assert. Last year the coaches brought in at least 4/5 transfers--and yet we started the season with all but one standing on the sidelines while at least two not-very-good veterans started at least the first 8+ games for us. I wondered: Did you get enough of a look during the brief training camp (it's barely more than 2 weeks of practice for all teams before the first games, I believe) to really determine who our best players were? Because he started the same players in the first two/three weeks of the season, one would have assumed that the coaches did. But, no, they didn't: You could watch the early games and see that at least two of the transfers coming off the bench as subs were better than the vets playing in front of them. Eventually, Kirt & Co. reached the same conclusion--but took too long to realize it. That's not to suggest that a transfer is necessarily better than a current player--not at all. We've got some good young players--and as StMichael has argued, they need to play and demonstrate their skills. At the end of the day the staff's ability to skillfully manage playing time in practice and games, and to evaluate talent, is paramount.

A bit surprised by the Giannola signing. A California native who played for one of the best ECNL programs in the land,
the San Diego Surf, she was a midfielder starter as a soph for a Ohio State team that was good but not great. The team
had a winning record in the Big 10--5-4-1, as I recall reading, and made the NCAA tourney--but got thumped in the first round by a strong
Pitt team, 0-6. Yikes. She had 4 goals and 2 assists last season. Seems to be left-footed. OSU lost twice, each time by a goal, to Nebraska;
lost by a goal to a good Penn State team; beat a solid Wisconsin squad, tied Mich. State and whipped the Michigan team from which we got two other transfers in the last conference game of the season, 4-1.

I say surprised because we've got 3 midfielders coming in as freshman, including 2 4-stars, plus the transfer Latino from Penn State. What's
more, we had 5 other mids---Midgley, Stayart, Mitchell, Duval and Chatterton. Chatterton and Duval are recovering from knee injuries, so that may have been a factor in this decision--they may not be ready for spring practice--and we are short on experienced mids. Midgley and Stayart have played a lot, Mitchell a bit and Chatterton played outside back before being hurt--hope she's back in the midfield this year when recovered.

Kirt and his staff will need to do a better job of ascertaining who the best players are, and where they should be playing, and how much, than they did last year, I'd assert. Last year the coaches brought in at least 4/5 transfers--and yet we started the season with all but one standing on the sidelines while at least two not-very-good veterans started at least the first 8+ games for us. I wondered: Did you get enough of a look during the brief training camp (it's barely more than 2 weeks of practice for all teams before the first games, I believe) to really determine who our best players were? Because he started the same players in the first two/three weeks of the season, one would have assumed that the coaches did. But, no, they didn't: You could watch the early games and see that at least two of the transfers coming off the bench as subs were better than the vets playing in front of them. Eventually, Kirt & Co. reached the same conclusion--but took too long to realize it. That's not to suggest that a transfer is necessarily better than a current player--not at all. We've got some good young players--and as StMichael has argued, they need to play and demonstrate their skills. At the end of the day the staff's ability to skillfully manage playing time in practice and games, and to evaluate talent, is paramount.
A few of her goals at Ohio State

Because I'm crazy, I watched quite a bit of OSU's game against Penn State last season to get a look at Giannola. Ohio State played well; indeed
they were the better team, overall, in the game, had more possession, more shots, but as we've seen so often with us and other teams, could not generate enough high-danger chances and goals and ended up losing 2-1 when at the very least they should have had a tie.

One has to wonder why two players, Giannola and Kroflin, who started for two big-school programs in OSU and Oklahoma, respectively, would transfer to Tennessee. On the face of it, they seem like lateral moves, and so, why? Oklahoma's program has struggled in recent years, the coach was fired, and Matt Mott, longtime Ole Miss coach, was hired. Last season was his first with the Sooners, and so in Kroflin's case, maybe there wasn't a comfort level with the new coach. Or maybe she had a postseason chat with Mott and wasn't entirely pleased with what she was told--more competition coming, no guarantee of a starting position?---and certainly the same could have happened with Giannola. We've been a little better than OSU in recent years, but the two programs are roughly comparable, and so one wants to know, why transfer when you're starting for a solid/good program? Who knows?

Giannola, as a sophomore, started and played 66 minutes against Penn State. She played outside mid on the far side of the field in the first half, and seemed to come in and play on the other side--and more centrally--in her minutes in the second half. She didn't have a lot of influence on the game, from what I could see. Didn't see a lot of the ball. Two of OSU's best attacking players were on the opposite side of the field from Giannola in the first half, and OSU played down that side of the field a lot, which would explain why she didn't see a lot of the ball in that half. She looked reasonably athletic but didn't stand out athletically; decent but not great quickness. I wasn't too impressed with her defensive play, to be candid; she wasn't able to disrupt Penn State much when the ball was in her area--very few good challenges/tackles or pass interceptions; didn't win too many 50/50 balls--didn't get to too many loose balls. Offensively, she seemed to make the right pass most of the time, but don't recall any attacking runs. Had one shot, from distance, in the game. As I say, she simply didn't see that much of the ball. I don't want to sound negative about her play; the team as a whole played well, and she was a part of that good play. But in any game there are players that are quite active and influential and whose name is being called by the announcers a lot--and others who are less influential but could still have been doing their jobs quite effectively. I'd put her in the latter category in this one game that I watched. I didn't come away from watching the game going, 'wow, she's going to help us a lot.' Maybe she will, maybe not. My guess, based on the little I've seen of both Giannola and Kroflin, is that Kroflin might help us more with her defensive midfield play, but we'll see. You always want and need and look for players who can help you compete with--and beat--the best competition. They aren't easy to find.

Last edited:
Since it’s the offseason I thought it would be fun for us to learn some of the history of the University of Tennessee Women’s Soccer program.

Let’s start at the beginning.

April 15 1994
UT announced they were adding women’s soccer.

Tennessee was the very last school to add a women’s team.

I copied this article from the 1996 Lady Vols Media Guide.

SOCCER IN THE SEC

The world's most popular sport has taken on a whole new meaning in the Southeastern Conference in the past few seasons. Member sponsorship of soccer jumped from four in 1993, when the SEC first recognized it as an official varsity conference sport, to a full slate of all 12 conference schools this season for the first time ever.

Tennessee is the newest addition, beginning its first year of varsity competition in 1996, as six schools Florida, Georgia, Louisiana State. Mississippi, Mississippi State and South Carolina prepare for their sophomore seasons.

Vanderbilt was the first SEC school to field a women's soccer team, beginning in 1985, with Alabama and Arkansas joining the Commodores a year later. Alabama's initial stint lasted two years, but the Crimson Tide rejuvenated its program last season. Kentucky (1992) and Auburn (1993) would have to be considered veteran teams compared to the remaining seven schools.

SEC women's soccer embarks on only its fourth year of existence but already has begun to establish its presence in the collegiate ranks. Vanderbilt and Kentucky finished 20th and 21st, respectively, in the final Intercollegiate Soccer Association of America poli, while Florida made several appearances in the Soccer News national poll in only its first year. The success of Vanderbilt and Kentucky parlayed the two teams into the NCAA tournament field, marking the first time in the young history that more than one representative from the conference advanced into postseason play.

The SEC year by year standings prior to Tennessee joining.

IMG_5732.jpeg

That’s it for today.
Next we will start looking at the timeline and all that went into starting the program from scratch.

Since it’s the offseason I thought it would be fun for us to learn some of the history of the University of Tennessee Women’s Soccer program.

April 15 1994

SOCCER IN THE SEC

The world's most popular sport has taken on a whole new meaning in the Southeastern Conference in the past few seasons. Member sponsorship of soccer jumped from four in 1993, when the SEC first recognized it as an official varsity conference sport, to a full slate of all 12 conference schools this season for the first time ever.

Tennessee is the newest addition, beginning its first year of varsity competition in 1996, as six schools Florida, Georgia, Louisiana State. Mississippi, Mississippi State and South Carolina prepare for their sophomore seasons.

Vanderbilt was the first SEC school to field a women's soccer team, beginning in 1985, with Alabama and Arkansas joining the Commodores a year later. Alabama's initial stint lasted two years, but the Crimson Tide rejuvenated its program last season. Kentucky (1992) and Auburn (1993) would have to be considered veteran teams compared to the remaining seven schools.

SEC women's soccer embarks on only its fourth year of existence but already has begun to establish its presence in the collegiate ranks. Vanderbilt and Kentucky finished 20th and 21st, respectively, in the final Intercollegiate Soccer Association of America poli, while Florida made several appearances in the Soccer News national poll in only its first year. The success of Vanderbilt and Kentucky parlayed the two teams into the NCAA tournament field, marking the first time in the young history that more than one representative from the conference advanced into postseason play.

View attachment 611992

That’s it for today.
Next we will start looking at the timeline and all that went into starting the program from scratch.
Love this!

⬜🟧 𝑾𝒆𝒍𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝑻𝒐 𝑹𝒐𝒄𝒌𝒚 𝑻𝒐𝒑! 🟧⬜

Ella Giannola is a Lady Vol!

View attachment 611470
And another....
At least this is a legit transfer unlike the covid player.

Here's the thing....
1) Players are committing after the portal has closed. This means that coaches are selecting players after the closure of the portal or releasing the information of a new transfer after the portal closes , thus the player on a current team is trapped if they didn't go into the portal. The player wasn't givien all of the information (in the world of fairness this is called transparency) to make an informed decision related to whether or not they, themselves, should consider the portal- let's say because they were unaware that the coach was actively seeking their replacement - this is called deceit or lying by the coach. The coach gets the upper hand in this scenario and the college athlete gets the raw end of the deal. Remember, the athlete is focused on school, training, diet, sleep, social activity and simply becoming an adult. The coach has only one job, one focus.

2) the coaches use current players to recruit transfers that either are taking the player helping recruit position or one of their teammates. This is the highest form of abuse that coaches commit. Current players are actually being given 'orders' to host (dinner, site seeing, campus tours, etc) transfers that are literally trying to take either their job or their friends jobs. In what world would anyone volunteer to do that? Literally, players are being told to 'stab' their teammates- teammates who share the same stresses and agony and achievements and emotions - in the back by the coach. Example: player Sally's best friend is the goalie. Coach: 'Sally, I need you to take Player Transfer and show her a good time and take her to a nice dinner so that she will commit here as a transfer goalie. We need her'. Seriously, it's sick. The player can't refuse for fear of retribution. Ethical? Moral? This should be against NCAA rules. Would any of us be 'ok' doing this in our own professions? Not me. The pros don't do this.

These are two examples of why the portal is corrupt and how coaches (yes, an unfair blanket statement, but with a lot of truth) prove they really don't care about these girls. There are many more. And why people like me become disgusted with what was supposed to be a healthy competitive environment for both the player and school. And, it's why I don't give NIL contributions. Can't support infrastructures that lack character. Maybe a college coach should focus on positive relationships with their players, design systems of progression and create team unifying goals. You want to know why Katz left? Others? Life mostly comes down to relationships and the trust manifested from these cherished bonds. Not sure this critical factor is present with our Lady Vols currently. And, it's not their fault.

Reactions: MAD and chuckiepoo
And another....
At least this is a legit transfer unlike the covid player.

Here's the thing....
1) Players are committing after the portal has closed. This means that coaches are selecting players after the closure of the portal or releasing the information of a new transfer after the portal closes , thus the player on a current team is trapped if they didn't go into the portal. The player wasn't givien all of the information (in the world of fairness this is called transparency) to make an informed decision related to whether or not they, themselves, should consider the portal- let's say because they were unaware that the coach was actively seeking their replacement - this is called deceit or lying by the coach. The coach gets the upper hand in this scenario and the college athlete gets the raw end of the deal. Remember, the athlete is focused on school, training, diet, sleep, social activity and simply becoming an adult. The coach has only one job, one focus.

2) the coaches use current players to recruit transfers that either are taking the player helping recruit position or one of their teammates. This is the highest form of abuse that coaches commit. Current players are actually being given 'orders' to host (dinner, site seeing, campus tours, etc) transfers that are literally trying to take either their job or their friends jobs. In what world would anyone volunteer to do that? Literally, players are being told to 'stab' their teammates- teammates who share the same stresses and agony and achievements and emotions - in the back by the coach. Example: player Sally's best friend is the goalie. Coach: 'Sally, I need you to take Player Transfer and show her a good time and take her to a nice dinner so that she will commit here as a transfer goalie. We need her'. Seriously, it's sick. The player can't refuse for fear of retribution. Ethical? Moral? This should be against NCAA rules. Would any of us be 'ok' doing this in our own professions? Not me. The pros don't do this.

These are two examples of why the portal is corrupt and how coaches (yes, an unfair blanket statement, but with a lot of truth) prove they really don't care about these girls. There are many more. And why people like me become disgusted with what was supposed to be a healthy competitive environment for both the player and school. And, it's why I don't give NIL contributions. Can't support infrastructures that lack character. Maybe a college coach should focus on positive relationships with their players, design systems of progression and create team unifying goals. You want to know why Katz left? Others? Life mostly comes down to relationships and the trust manifested from these cherished bonds. Not sure this critical factor is present with our Lady Vols currently. And, it's not their fault.
Man, that is dark…

Reactions: MAD
PS - Matt Mott in my informed opinion is the epitome of what is wrong with women's college soccer. If your bored, keep an eye on the the program he took over. His leadership style and the gang he brings with him are toxic. Toxicity at its most toxic.

And, interesting that Yelton's niece is coming to Tenn and more interesting that her Dad and Uncle let her go to Ole Miss in the first place (they know first hand how ridiculous Mott is- well, Mott recruited her and then left; I mean ran away). Yelton (samford) is one of the best coaches in college soccer.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
No, it is not easy for players---never is. A new group of recruits comes in every year, any one of whom could take your position, and now we have the portal, which brings even more competition for spots. Coaches, it must be said, ultimately work to protect their jobs.

RE Mott: Oklahoma must have offered him more money than he was making at Ole Miss, and he took it. Probably showed him a bigger commitment to their soccer program than he was seeing from Ole Miss. Again, coaching self-interest.

What is their former keeper Ashley Orkus doing now? She was originally a UT signee, saw that Romig was ahead of her and that she was not likely to supplant her, and transferred to Ole Miss, where she had an excellent career.

I thought Orkus got picked up in the draft, late. I only saw her name on the drafted list (was it 52 players?) and didn't follow it past that. I know she did a 5th year (covid) to finish her career and left Tenn unhappy (proabably related to not playing). Heck of a punt/kick for distance! But, that's the way Mott likes to play - boot the ball and try your best to gain possession. Obviously 🙄, I'm not a fan of Mott and the like, but his junk soccer will upset some teams this year. All long ball tactics causes defenses to lose their discipline and the front line gets caught just standing their watching ping pong. When really, the front line should press hard and stay in tight pursuit of any lose ball to avoid long ball delivery and the defense must be skilled at quickly clearing the ball and winning the air game. Not sure why I wrote all that except to say, Oklahoma will hurt some SEC teams feelings if they don't respond to correctly.

April 15 1994

SOCCER IN THE SEC

View attachment 611992

That’s it for today.
Let’s continue with the timeline history of Lady Vols Soccer.
UT had announced they were adding women’s soccer on April 15 1994

March 29 1995
National search began for coach

November 1 1995
Charlie MacCabe named as head coach.

The hiring of Charlie MacCabe, who previously served as an assistant at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, which is to women's soccer as the Lady Vols are to women's basketball. Building a highly competitive women's soccer program at the Division I level does not happen overnight. For most schools, it is a tremendous challenge which often never materializes. MacCabe has a different philosophy, however, and believes UT will be an exception to the rule. "It's easier here to build a program in women's soccer than at almost any other school due to the strength and reputation of women's athletics on this campus," MacCabe said. "The support that the university and the women's athletic department have given us to build this program is phenomenal, from the budget to the support staff to the new soccer facility," MacCabe said. "I feel it is a matter of time before we are very competitive."

IMG_5763.jpeg

February 1 1996
Article from The Daily Beacon on the hiring of assistant coach Angela Kelly

Angela Kelly, a member of four NCAA championship soccer teams at North Carolina, has been named a Lady Vols' assistant soccer coach.
Along with four national titles, the Lady Tar Heels won four Atlantic Coast Conference titles and four ACC Championships in Kelly's four-year stay (1991-94). She started in 94 games and compiled 38 goals and 27 assists. Throughout her career North Carolina reeled off a 97-1-1 record. Kelly was named to NCAA and All-ACC teams three consecutive seasons and was a member of the All-American first team in 1994. "Having performed at the highest level, she will be the perfect role model for our young and inexperienced players," head coach Charlie MacCabe said.
The Scotland native is looking forward to her stay at UT. "I am very excited about this new position," Kelly said Tuesday. "I can not see why we can not build a successful program here in the next few years." Soccer will become the 11th Lady Vol intercollegiate sport when it begins next fall.
IMG_5765.jpeg

Women's soccer assistant--Michelle Bertocchi, a graduate assistant coach at Georgia State, appointed assistant coach at Tennessee

IMG_5764.jpeg

IMG_5762.jpeg
Charlie MacCabe, Angela Kelly, Michelle Bertocchi

VN Store

Back