⚽️ Tennessee Lady Vols Soccer

Sunday 1/28

You can catch a couple of former Vols.

England: Women’s Super League 9 AM (Both games are available for free on the FA Player)

Bristol City (Shae Yanez) vs West Ham
Tottenham vs Manchester City (Bunny Shaw)

Interesting that Woods and Bridenstine are going through spring practice workouts--but then why wouldn't they? I can't image the Michigan
coach would have a problem with it even though won't be playing for her in the fall. Gotta stay sharp.

Woods scored 24 goals for UM over the last 4 years---4 as a frosh, 5, 7 and 8 last year. She is not very big, but she clearly knows how to put the ball in the net. But here's an issue: She's been Michigan's primary shooter/goal scorer for the last 2 years--she's not been a big assist player (1 in each of the last two seasons). Thomas, for us, is a scorer and also not a particularly good passer or assist person. She's used to hanging close to the box. There will have to be some chemistry and sharing of the ball between 2 players who are used to be THE forward or we could struggle. Throw in Runyon and others and the same thing. Nobody's scoring unless others are creating and providing that last pass that results in a shot.

Bridenstine has a sturdy build, moves pretty well, likes to get forward, has a good understanding of the game, it would appear, and from what little I've seen, is pretty good with her crosses--puts the ball in good places in/near the box as opposed to kicking it 10 yards over everybody's head or flubbing it out of bounds. Seems a decent defender.

Excited to seem the both play. That said, St.Michael is right: All these transfers are going to hinder the playing time of younger players. We have two returning players who played a lot at right back last season--but Bridenstine could take that spot and so the two younger Vols could be standing on the sidelines a lot--not to mention others who might have had their eye on the position. Might be some insecurity behind this large transfer class.

History of the Lady Vols

Year 3:1998 season

The sophomore season was a big improvement over the previous two seasons. Tennessee had 9 starters return but the key to the season were the tremendous freshmen, who accounted for 28 goals, 24 assists and 16 starts in goal. They met two of their goals, a winning SEC record and qualifying for the SEC Tournament.

Tennessee won three consecutive games by four or more goals defeating UNC Asheville (8-1), Xavier (4-0) and Arkansas (5-0). A feat matched only recently by the 2022 squad.

The Lady Vols played their first ever televised match against #25 Georgia, which was the final regular season SEC match of the year.
The 3-2 win qualified them for the SEC Tournament.

View attachment 614979View attachment 614980View attachment 614982
History of the Lady Vols
Year 4: 1999 season

IMG_5897.jpegIMG_5898.jpeg
1999 was a bit of a disappointing season. They went 8-11-1/5-4 in the SEC.
They did qualify for the SEC tournament but were knocked out in the first round.

The highlight of the season was their first ever victory over #16 Alabama 3-1.

After 4 season head coach Charlie MacCabe left the program.

I’m not sure if programs still play exhibition matches in Europe but I thought this was interesting.

Taken from the Daily Beacon…

Lady Vols compete against Europe's best soccer teams​

Even though there were no celebrations reminiscent of Brandi Chastain's
"exposure" in the women's World Cup, there was plenty of excitement from
the Lady Vols soccer team when they played four exhibition games in Europe
earlier this month.

Holland and Germany were the host countries of the year's first soccer
action for the Lady Vols.

The Dutch National Team, a strong competitor, was on the Lady Vol schedule,
as were teams from Belgium and Germany.

In the four exhausting games the team played, they finished with a 2-1-1
record.

The Lady Vols had an impressive showing against FSV Frankfurt, winning
4-3, despite the fact that it was the first time the Lady Vols had played
together since April. Frankfurt became the first European team to play
Tennessee's women's soccer program.

"The European teams tend to be able to capitalize on our mistakes quicker
than most teams we're used to playing," head coach Charlie MacCabe
said.

The next team the Lady Vols met was the National Club Champion of Belgium, Eendracht Aalst.
The first strike came from Aalst when the Lady Vols gave
the ball away, allowing Belgium an easy goal. After tying the game up, it
came down to a defensive error
by the Belgians that allowed Allison Campbell to score the winning goal.

With that win, the Lady Vols were beaming with confidence, but were showing
signs of fatigue going into their third game in four days.

The European Division I champions, the Dutch National Team, proved the
maxims that soccer is a team sport and that experience is a major key to
victory. The Dutch strategy was to play all eleven of their starters for
most of the game, while the goal of the Lady Vols was to help give
younger and less experienced players more
experience in the big-game atmosphere.

"If our team hadn't been so fatigued, we might have put up a better
showing," MacCabe said.

The final game was perhaps the most exciting of the the four. The Lady
Vols' opponent was the perennial Belgium champ, Anderlecht. With a 1-1 tie
after the first half, the second half only got more exciting. Anderlecht
scored again making it 2-1, but the Lady Vols fought back. Jennifer Laughridge, a sophomore, prevented
another loss with her heroic goal in the final minutes capping a great
comeback. The game ended in a tie, but in the eyes of the players, it was a
definite victory.

History of the Lady Vols

View attachment 615277View attachment 615279
They did qualify for the SEC tournament but were knocked out in the first round.

I’m not sure if programs still play exhibition matches in Europe but I thought this was interesting.

earlier this month.

record.

said.

The next team the Lady Vols met was the National Club Champion of Belgium, Eendracht Aalst.

showing," MacCabe said.

scored again making it 2-1, but the Lady Vols fought back. Jennifer Laughridge, a sophomore, prevented
definite victory.
I don’t see a lot about college teams playing internationally anymore (could just be missing it), but what an opportunity for those players!

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
Interesting that Woods and Bridenstine are going through spring practice workouts--but then why wouldn't they? I can't image the Michigan
coach would have a problem with it even though won't be playing for her in the fall. Gotta stay sharp.

Woods scored 24 goals for UM over the last 4 years---4 as a frosh, 5, 7 and 8 last year. She is not very big, but she clearly knows how to put the ball in the net. But here's an issue: She's been Michigan's primary shooter/goal scorer for the last 2 years--she's not been a big assist player (1 in each of the last two seasons). Thomas, for us, is a scorer and also not a particularly good passer or assist person. She's used to hanging close to the box. There will have to be some chemistry and sharing of the ball between 2 players who are used to be THE forward or we could struggle. Throw in Runyon and others and the same thing. Nobody's scoring unless others are creating and providing that last pass that results in a shot.

Bridenstine has a sturdy build, moves pretty well, likes to get forward, has a good understanding of the game, it would appear, and from what little I've seen, is pretty good with her crosses--puts the ball in good places in/near the box as opposed to kicking it 10 yards over everybody's head or flubbing it out of bounds. Seems a decent defender.

Excited to seem the both play. That said, St.Michael is right: All these transfers are going to hinder the playing time of younger players. We have two returning players who played a lot at right back last season--but Bridenstine could take that spot and so the two younger Vols could be standing on the sidelines a lot--not to mention others who might have had their eye on the position. Might be some insecurity behind this large transfer class.
Prediction- 1) we will lose new (freshman) quickly once they figure out that they aren't valued 2) European players will leave - European players don't mess around with dumb coaches or processes, they actually understand the game of soccer 3) the MI players will be very disruptive - they are showing up 2 weeks before the season starts as players that younger players know, dont belong in college soccer any longer and SEC soccer isn't 'the beautiful game'- the gig is up 4) we will run a 3-5-2, 5) the Coaches will lose their jobs after this season. If I were a 2022 or 2023 player, I'd give it a hard effort during spring and summer and be determined for the fall with a 'take no prisoners ' attitude and make sure that 5th years are aware that they should have stayed where they came from or gone pro - this is Volunteer Country-, and if these coaches insist on playing them, make sure I'm eligible for a redshirt very quickly (let the coach know that his transparency is a professional obligation directly impacting their dreams and goals - hell, the parents should get involved with the AD and NCAA- if a coach has no intention of playing a player, that coach needs to offer a redshirt especially in the era of the cry baby Covid excuse for bad policy and the grown- 22-23 years old- woman that insists on playing with 18-21 year olds and can't make the pros). This coach had his moment to let the unfair presence of the covid player 'go'; to distance the program from this insanity for one year, but instead hung on. The leadership on this team is in very serious jeopardy - all it takes is a handful of players and their families to complain about the mental health culture of a program and the coach is out. AD's don't have time for it.

History of the Lady Vols

View attachment 615277View attachment 615279

earlier this month.

record.

said.

showing," MacCabe said.

definite victory.
History of Tennessee soccer cont.

January 4 2000: Angela Kelly becomes the 2nd soccer coach at Tennessee.

Current Lady Vol Assistant Angela Kelly Promoted to Head Coach​

Article from the Daily Beacon 1/5/00
Tennessee Soccer Coach Charlie MacCabe Announces Resignation

University of Tennessee women's soccer coach Charlie MacCabe has made the decision to resign after four seasons due to personal reasons, according to an announcement made by Tennessee women's athletics director Joan Cronan. MacCabe's assistant for the past four years, Angela Kelly, will now take over the reins, making her the youngest head coach in the Southeastern Conference.

"While we wish Charlie well in his future endeavors, we are excited at the prospect of having Angela come on board, as she is well known nationally for her championship skills as a player and her outstanding recruiting abilities as an assistant," said Cronan. "After being a four-time NCAA winner and All-American performer at North Carolina, she possesses a detailed knowledge and strategy of the game. This combination should help take our program to the next level in women's collegiate soccer."

Kelly arrived in Knoxville in January 1996 after a distinguished playing career under legendary coach Anson Dorrance in Chapel Hill and assisted MacCabe in all aspects of UT's soccer program.

"I am excited about the opportunity that lies ahead," stated Kelly. "The University of Tennessee has an outstanding Athletics Department whose tradition and dedication for excellence is respected throughout the nation. I am looking forward to the challenge of putting Lady Vol soccer on the map."

"I have already accomplished the goal of winning a national championship as a player, I now look forward to working towards a title as a head coach. I am grateful that the University of Tennessee will provide me that opportunity. My immediate focus is to hit the recruiting trail right away along with preparing my team for the 2000 campaign."

Kelly has already begun to assemble her staff, as former North Carolina teammate Siri Mullinix is set to come aboard following the U.S. Women's National Team's tournament in Australia. A search will be conducted to fill the other assistant vacancy. As a standout player for the Tar Heels from 1991 to 1994, Kelly earned All-America honors as a senior as well as being named to the NCAA All-Tournament and All-Atlantic Coast Conference teams for three consecutive years. In NCAA play, Kelly scored eight goals and had four assists in helping lead UNC to four consecutive national championships and an overall record of 97-1-1. During her tenure, the Tar Heels also won four Atlantic Coast Conference regular-season titles, four ACC tournament titles and was ranked No. 1 in the country each year.

Kelly has also gained extensive experience on the international level as a nine-year member of the Canadian National Team. She has participated in the W-League during the past two seasons for the Raleigh Wings, which captured the W1 National Championship on both occasions. Kelly hails from Brantford, Ontario, but is a native of Scotland. She earned two bachelor's degrees in psychology and physical education from UNC in 1994.

MacCabe, who was the Lady Vols' inaugural coach of the new program in 1996, compiled a four-year record of 37-40-2. His 1996, 1998 and 1999 teams earned berths to the SEC Tournament. This past season, his squad attained the program's initial national ranking of 20th in Soccer America's weekly poll on September 14 and finished 8-11-1 overall. In SEC play, the Orange and White was 5-4 during the regular season and suffered a 1-0 setback to Western Division champion Ole Miss in first-round action of the league's tourney in Nashville.

"Certainly, it's a challenging assignment to start a program from scratch and still enjoy any substantial degree of early success, but Charlie did that for us," said Cronan. "We are grateful for his many contributions to the development of our program and wish him the best in whatever direction he chooses to go."

Charged with the task of building a nationally recognized program from its foundation, MacCabe guided the Lady Volunteers to a school-record 12 victories during the '98 campaign. Outstanding in the classroom as well, MacCabe's squad placed 13 student-athletes on the SEC Academic Honor Roll for the past two years.

Last edited:
LVFL Hannah Tillett

Impressive highlights from Tillett. One could tell her senior year---when she came in as a sub midfielder for us--that she was getting better
and better, and she looks a pretty damn good pro midfielder here. She seems genuinely two-footed--passing as well with her left foot as her right--and can shoot with both too. Got good size, makes good decisions. Happy to see her doing so well.

LVFL Mackenzie George

Glad to see George doing well--and doing what she did at UT, being strong on the ball, beating her markers, and creating chances. Not an ideal forward in that she's not very tall and doesn't have exceptional speed, but just super strong and super-competitive and getting balls into the box.

FIVE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE 2024 CONCACAF WOMEN’S U-17 CHAMPIONSHIP​

IMG_5941.jpeg

The U.S. Under-17 Women’s Youth National Team returns to international action on Feb. 2 at the 2024 Concacaf Women’s U-17 Championship as the young Americans start their pursuit of a World Cup berth. This tournament will be the second regional competition for the 11 players on this roster who helped the USA win the 2022 Concacaf Girls’ U-15 Championship and the first time playing in a Concacaf event for the other 10 players. The 2024 Concacaf Women’s U-17 Championship runs from Feb. 1-11 in Toluca, Mexico, and the USA is aiming to qualify for the 2024 FIFA Under-17 Women’s World Cup while also playing for a sixth Concacaf title at this age level.

Here are five things to know about the USA’s U-17 World Cup qualifying quest in Mexico:

TOURNAMENT FORMAT

The biennial Concacaf Women’s U-17 Championship usually qualifies three teams to the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup. This year, because the Dominican Republic, a fellow Concacaf participant, is the World Cup host, only two berths are for the taking this tournament, so the two teams that win the semifinals will qualify for the 2024 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup. There will be no second chances usually afforded by the third-place match.

The last Concacaf Women’s U-17 Championship in 2022, which was increased to 20 nations, featured some lopsided scores (including a 20-0 and 13-0 win for the USA), so the tournament is now back to its original eight-team format.

The countries that finish in the top two in each of the two groups will cross over in the semifinals and the winners of those games will qualify for the World Cup.

The U-17 WYNT kicks off its World Cup qualifying on Friday, Feb. 2 vs. Panama, takes on Puerto Rico on Sunday, Feb. 4 and wraps up the group stage vs. Canada on Tuesday, Feb. 6.

All the USA’s matches will be broadcast in English on FS2 and on the FOX Sports app with corresponding authentication.

Fans can follow all of the action from Toluca on ussoccer.com as well as U.S. Soccer Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Date Match-upKickoff (ET) / TVVenue
Friday, Feb. 2USA vs. Panama1 p.m. / FS2Federación Mexicana de Fútbol Asociación, A.C.
Sunday, Feb. 4USA vs. Puerto Rico1 p.m. / FS2Federación Mexicana de Fútbol Asociación, A.C.
Tuesday, Feb. 6USA vs. Canada1 p.m. / FS2Federación Mexicana de Fútbol Asociación, A.C.

U-17 ROSTER FEATURES FIRST-EVER PROS

Players born on or after Jan. 1, 2007, are age-eligible for the 2024 Concacaf Women’s U-17 Championship. U.S. head coach Katie Schoepfer has selected 20 players born in 2007 and one in 2008, that being the soon-to-be 16-year-old Kimmi Ascanio from Florida United. Sixteen-year-old Melanie Barcenas was initially named to the 2022 Concacaf Women’s U-17 Championship roster as a fourteen-year-old but was ruled out of the competition due to an ankle injury. Two years later, the young pro gets her first chance to play in a Concacaf tournament.

This is the first-ever U.S. Under-17 Women’s World Cup qualifying roster to include professional players: Barcenas from San Diego Wave FC and 16-year-old forward Alex Pfeiffer from the Kansas City Current. Barcenas is entering her second year as a pro – she logged 116 minutes for the Wave in 2023, spanning seven matches – while Pfeiffer will enter her rookie year this upcoming season after KC announced her contract in November as the fourth-youngest player to sign in the NWSL. Barcenas became the youngest player in league history when she signed with San Diego in March of 2023.

2024 CONCACAF WOMEN’S U-17 CHAMPIONSHIP ROSTER BY POSITION (CLUB; HOMETOWN)

Goalkeepers (3): Franky Dunlap (NC Courage Academy; Raleigh, N.C.), Molly Vapensky (Chicago FC United; Evanston, Ill.), Kennedy Zorn (SC del Sol; Peoria, Ariz.)

Defenders (7): Trinity Armstrong (FC Dallas; Frisco, Texas), Lexi Coughlin (Legends FC; Corona, Calif.), Kiara Gilmore (FC Dallas; Allen, Texas), Jordyn Hardeman (Solar SC; Midlothian, Texas), Daya King (Legends FC; Moreno Valley, Calif.), Katie Scott (Internationals SC; Fairview, Penn.), Jocelyn Travers (FC Bay Area Surf; Santa Cruz, Calif.)

Midfielders (6): Kimmi Ascanio (Florida United SC; Doral, Fla.), Melanie Barcenas (San Diego Wave; San Diego, Calif.), Riley Cross (PDA; Chatham, N.J.), Kennedy Fuller (Solar SC; Southlake, Texas), Ainsley McCammon (Solar SC; Bedford, Texas), Y-Lan Nguyen (Virginia Development Academy; Fairfax, Va.)

Forwards (5): Carrie Helfrich (Virginia Union FC; McLean, Va.), Rylee McLanahan (FC Dallas; Edmond, Okla.), Alex Pfeiffer (Kansas City Current; St. Louis, Mo.), Leena Powell (Tudela FC; Culver City, Calif.), Mya Townes (TSJ FC Virginia; Aldie, Va.)

JUST GETTING STARTED

The Concacaf Women’s U-17 championship has been a launching point for many players who have gone on to represent the full USWNT and many more who have played professionally or gone on play at the U-20 level. From 2008-2018, an average of almost three players per U.S. U-17 qualifying team have gone on to represent the full USWNT.

PLAYERS WHO HAVE PLAYED IN U-17 CONCACAF QUALIFYING WOULD EVENTUALLY REPRESENT THE FULL USWNT:

2008: Five players -- Morgan Brian, Crystal Dunn, Kristie Mewis, Samantha Mewis and Erika Tymrak.

2010: Five players -- Brian, Abby Dahlkemper, Jaelene Hinkle, Lindsey Horan and Taylor Smith. Note: Havana Solaun would change associations and go on to score the first-ever World Cup goal for Jamaica in 2019.

2012: Three players -- Jane Campbell, Margaret “Midge” Purce and Andi Sullivan. Toni Payne would change associations and go on to represent Nigeria.

2014 (which played in qualifying at the end of 2013): Two players -- Tegan McGrady and Mallory Pugh.

2016: Four players -- Naomi Girma, who was the 2023 U.S. Soccer Female Player of the Year, Jaelin Howell, Ashley Sanchez and Sophia Smith, who was the 2022 U.S. Soccer Female Player of the Year.

2018: One player -- Mia Fishel, who earned her first cap on Sept. 23, 2023, vs. South Africa and scored her first USWNT goal on Oct. 29, 2023, vs. Colombia. Five players from that team are playing in the NWSL and an additional seven were taken in the 2024 NWSL Draft. Diana Ordonez changed associations and plays for Mexico.

The 2020 Concacaf Women’s U-17 Championship was cancelled due to the global pandemic.

TOURNAMENT HISTORY

This year marks the eighth edition of the Concacaf Women’s U-17 Championship, which began in 2008. The U.S. will be playing to win its sixth Concacaf U-17 Women’s Championship – and fourth in a row -- after winning this tournament in 2008, 2012, 2016, 2018 and 2022. The two Concacaf Women’s U-17 Championships at which the USA finished third – in 2010 and 2014 – were both years in which the World Cup was held in Concacaf countries and thus only two berths from the region were up for grabs. The 2018 Concacaf Women’s U-17 Championship began in Nicaragua in April of that year, but due to civil unrest in the country, the tournament was postponed after the first two match days and restarted five weeks later in Florida.

Only four different teams have qualified out of Concacaf for the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup: The USA (five times), Mexico (six times), Canada (seven times) and Costa Rica (one time). Trinidad & Tobago hosted in 2010 and Costa Rica hosted in 2014, thus earning automatic berths to those World Cups.

Mexico is the ninth country to host the Concacaf Women’s U-17 Championship after Trinidad & Tobago (2008), Costa Rica (2010), Guatemala (2012), Jamaica (2013), Grenada (2016), Nicaragua and the USA (2018) and the Dominican Republic (2022). Mexico was to host in 2020, before the tournament was cancelled.

SCHOEPFER PAYING IT FORWARD

U.S. U-17 WYNT head coach Katie Schoepfer is the first-ever U.S. head coach for this age group to have played in a women’s professional league in the United States. In fact, she played in two. Schoepfer started her career in WPS (Women’s Professional Soccer), the USA’s second pro league that ran from 2009-2011, where she played for Sky Blue FC and the Boston Breakers. The powerful target forward also played at the start of the National Women’s Soccer League, playing 82 matches for the Boston Breakers from 2013-2016. Schoepfer was a two-time All-American at Penn State where she helped lead the Nittany Lions to four straight Big 10 titles. Schoepfer played for the USA at the U-23 and U-17 levels. Prior to taking over the help of the U-17s, she coached the U.S. U-15s, leading them to title at the 2022 Concacaf Girls’ U-15 Championship.

Keep up the legacy posts. Fun to read and think about- appreciate your incredible effort.
George looked good in highlight footage...makes me think she was hurt or something during the 2022 season or Iceland soccer ain't that great - (saw some video manipulation related to 'frames per second' - makes a player look faster then they really are). Regardless, she has a dream and I support her perseverance.

History of Tennessee soccer cont.

January 4 2000: Angela Kelly becomes the 2nd soccer coach at Tennessee.

Current Lady Vol Assistant Angela Kelly Promoted to Head Coach​

Article from the Daily Beacon 1/5/00
Tennessee Soccer Coach Charlie MacCabe Announces Resignation

University of Tennessee women's soccer coach Charlie MacCabe has made the decision to resign after four seasons due to personal reasons, according to an announcement made by Tennessee women's athletics director Joan Cronan. MacCabe's assistant for the past four years, Angela Kelly, will now take over the reins, making her the youngest head coach in the Southeastern Conference.

"While we wish Charlie well in his future endeavors, we are excited at the prospect of having Angela come on board, as she is well known nationally for her championship skills as a player and her outstanding recruiting abilities as an assistant," said Cronan. "After being a four-time NCAA winner and All-American performer at North Carolina, she possesses a detailed knowledge and strategy of the game. This combination should help take our program to the next level in women's collegiate soccer."

Kelly arrived in Knoxville in January 1996 after a distinguished playing career under legendary coach Anson Dorrance in Chapel Hill and assisted MacCabe in all aspects of UT's soccer program.

"I am excited about the opportunity that lies ahead," stated Kelly. "The University of Tennessee has an outstanding Athletics Department whose tradition and dedication for excellence is respected throughout the nation. I am looking forward to the challenge of putting Lady Vol soccer on the map."

"I have already accomplished the goal of winning a national championship as a player, I now look forward to working towards a title as a head coach. I am grateful that the University of Tennessee will provide me that opportunity. My immediate focus is to hit the recruiting trail right away along with preparing my team for the 2000 campaign."

Kelly has already begun to assemble her staff, as former North Carolina teammate Siri Mullinix is set to come aboard following the U.S. Women's National Team's tournament in Australia. A search will be conducted to fill the other assistant vacancy. As a standout player for the Tar Heels from 1991 to 1994, Kelly earned All-America honors as a senior as well as being named to the NCAA All-Tournament and All-Atlantic Coast Conference teams for three consecutive years. In NCAA play, Kelly scored eight goals and had four assists in helping lead UNC to four consecutive national championships and an overall record of 97-1-1. During her tenure, the Tar Heels also won four Atlantic Coast Conference regular-season titles, four ACC tournament titles and was ranked No. 1 in the country each year.

Kelly has also gained extensive experience on the international level as a nine-year member of the Canadian National Team. She has participated in the W-League during the past two seasons for the Raleigh Wings, which captured the W1 National Championship on both occasions. Kelly hails from Brantford, Ontario, but is a native of Scotland. She earned two bachelor's degrees in psychology and physical education from UNC in 1994.

MacCabe, who was the Lady Vols' inaugural coach of the new program in 1996, compiled a four-year record of 37-40-2. His 1996, 1998 and 1999 teams earned berths to the SEC Tournament. This past season, his squad attained the program's initial national ranking of 20th in Soccer America's weekly poll on September 14 and finished 8-11-1 overall. In SEC play, the Orange and White was 5-4 during the regular season and suffered a 1-0 setback to Western Division champion Ole Miss in first-round action of the league's tourney in Nashville.

"Certainly, it's a challenging assignment to start a program from scratch and still enjoy any substantial degree of early success, but Charlie did that for us," said Cronan. "We are grateful for his many contributions to the development of our program and wish him the best in whatever direction he chooses to go."

Charged with the task of building a nationally recognized program from its foundation, MacCabe guided the Lady Volunteers to a school-record 12 victories during the '98 campaign. Outstanding in the classroom as well, MacCabe's squad placed 13 student-athletes on the SEC Academic Honor Roll for the past two years.
History of Lady Vols soccer.
2000 season

A new era for the University of Tennessee women’s soccer program was ushered in on Jan. 4, 2000, as Angela Kelly was promoted to become the second head coach in school history. Projected to finish 12th among the Southeastern Conference programs in the preseason poll, Kelly’s initial campaign at the helm may have exceeded everyone’s expectations. The Orange and White advanced to the SEC Tournament with its best league record (7-2) and finish (second overall) in school history and made a rapid ascent within the Central Re- gional Rankings issued by the National Soccer Coaches Association (NSCAA) and Soccer Buzz Magazine. To achieve such immediate success, Kelly and her staff were able to integrate 13 newcomers, led by SEC Freshman of the Year Rhian Wilkinson, with a strong foundation of seven seniors, spearheaded by first- team All-SEC selection and All-Central Region performer Kelly Berrall.

On the cover new coach Angela Kelly, and hew two new assistants. John Cone and Sarah Daley
IMG_5946.jpegIMG_5944.jpeg
IMG_5948.jpeg

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Eleanor Dale from Nebraska looks to be headed to the WSL.

She was the superstar from England that Tennessee kept in check in the 2-1 loss in the NCAA tournament.

IMG_5953.jpeg

Reactions: brittannica
2000 season

A new era for the University of Tennessee women’s soccer program was ushered in on Jan. 4, 2000, as Angela Kelly was promoted to become the second head coach in school history. Projected to finish 12th among the Southeastern Conference programs in the preseason poll, Kelly’s initial campaign at the helm may have exceeded everyone’s expectations. The Orange and White advanced to the SEC Tournament with its best league record (7-2) and finish (second overall) in school history and made a rapid ascent within the Central Re- gional Rankings issued by the National Soccer Coaches Association (NSCAA) and Soccer Buzz Magazine. To achieve such immediate success, Kelly and her staff were able to integrate 13 newcomers, led by SEC Freshman of the Year Rhian Wilkinson, with a strong foundation of seven seniors, spearheaded by first- team All-SEC selection and All-Central Region performer Kelly Berrall.

On the cover new coach Angela Kelly, and hew two new assistants. John Cone and Sarah Daley
View attachment 615928View attachment 615929
View attachment 615931
2000 season

Angela Kelly brought in a new assistant.

Samantha Baggett
IMG_5957.jpeg

Interesting tidbit on Samantha, she is the current Florida Gators women’s soccer coach, hired back in 2022.

IMG_5956.jpegIMG_5954.jpegIMG_5955.jpeg

Entering her second season as head coach of the Lady Vol soccer team, Angela Kelly must have known that expectations for the 2001 campaign were heightened once she welcomed junior transfer Kim Patrick and a highly-touted recruiting class that was rated fifth by Soccer Buzz Magazine. The other 11 Southeastern Conference coaches certainly understood the talent level which would soon arrive in Knoxville, as Tennessee was voted to finish second in the league after being picked to finish last in Kelly’s debut season. When all was said and done, the Orange and White was ranked nationally for most of the fall and ended up securing its initial berth into the NCAA Tournament en route to an 11-6-1 overall mark. Tennessee ended eighth-ranked Florida’s SEC-record winning streak at 50 matches and was in the driver’s seat to capture its first Eastern Division crown until a defeat at Georgia in the regular season finale dashed those hopes. The Lady Vols also knocked off #13 Brigham Young, #16 Wake Forest, #24 Kentucky and NCAA Sweet 16 participant Rutgers before battling through four overtimes and seeing its season come to an end on penalty kicks to Duke.

Highlights and headlines of the season

Lady Vols Stun #13 Brigham Young, 2-1, To Kick Off 2001 Campaign in Fine Fashion​

Sept. 1, 2001

PROVO, Utah -
Visiting #13 Brigham Young in its season opener on Saturday night, the Tennessee women's soccer team delivered the most stunning upset in the program's six-year existence with a 2-1 triumph over the Cougars. BYU advanced to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament in both 1998 and 2000 and had not dropped a regular-season match at South Field since a 1-0 setback to San Diego State on Oct. 24, 1998. The victory for UT, just its fourth ever over a ranked opponent, was the squad's first over a Top 25 foe away from the friendly confines of Knoxville and eclipsed the previous best of a 3-2 conquest of #15 Kentucky set last Oct. 15.

Saturday, October 19, 2001

Vols beat Florida, break records​

When the No. 21 Tennessee Lady Vols soccer team left the field after Friday night's match against No. 8 Florida, they came away with more than just a 2-1 overtime victory.

Tennessee departed firmly entrenched in the record books - its own and Florida's.

Florida came into the game owning the nation's longest conference winning streak with 50 straight wins over its SEC opponents, dating back to 1997.

Tennessee struck fast. In fact, the Lady Vols' score only 29 seconds into the contest set a school record for both squads as the earliest goal scored by Tennessee and as the fastest goal allowed by Florida.

The Lady Vols would capitalize soon after overtime began. Six minutes into overtime, at the 96:16 mark of play, freshman midfielder Kayla Lockaby moved the ball quickly up the left side of the field. From there, Lockaby lobbed a well-timed pass towards Patrick, who headed the ball through for the decisive "golden goal."

The win, which marks Tennessee's first in seven tries against the Gators, was the first in program history against a top-10 team.

November 16, 2001
Tennessee’s first ever NCAA tournament match.

Lady Vols fall in first round NCAA​

After four overtimes and 150 minutes of action on Friday night, the Lady Vols soccer team and Duke University came down to penalty kicks in first-round NCAA tournament action at Fetzer Field to see which club would advance to face top-ranked and defending national champion North Carolina on Sunday afternoon. The Blue Devils managed to connect on their first four attempts and used stellar goalkeeping by sophomore Thora Helgadottir en route to a 4-2 decision in penalty kicks. The match itself was tied, 1-1, but Duke (8-9-1) winds up moving on in the bracket thanks to the successful effort its kicks. Consequently, the Lady Vols wind up its most successful campaign at 11-6-1 overall.

"Ever since my playing days, I hated to end a match on penalty kicks," Lady Vols coach Angela Kelly said. "Words cannot describe how proud I am of my young women. They have bigger hearts than anyone I have been associated with."

The format called for teams to choose five players to shoot in alternating fashion. Freshman defender Lindsey Wiest then stepped up to the hash mark and banged a shot past Helgadottir to even the affair.

After Blue Devil junior Carly Fuller went down low to beat Stevens to put her squad ahead, 4-2, sophomore midfielder Marie-Eve Nault's attempt was denied on the right side by Helgadottir, triggering a wild celebration by victorious Duke.

Jordan Fusco Is going into a great situation at PSU.

Yes and no. Penn State lost, I believe, four or five good/very good multi-year starters from last year's team. The had 4 players drafted in the first 2 rounds of the NWSL draft (among the top 22), and a 5th player drafted in the 3rd round. So they lost a big chunk of veteran talent that will not be easily replaced this year. But it's also true that Penn State almost always has a top 5 recruiting class, so they won't lack for talent. I don't think PSU has been a big player in the portal in recent years--but brought in 3/4 transfers this year, perhaps to bolster what could be something of a transition year, by their standards. It will be interesting to see how Fusco fits in there. She certainly has left a big hole in our lineup. Like so many of the top programs, the Nittany Lions have an excellent coach who's been there a long time.

VN Store

Back