⚽️ Tennessee Lady Vols Soccer

I don't agree that we should Americanize soccer....U.S. collegiate soccer already has different rules than international/pro soccer, but there is no
need to alter it significantly so that Americans with short-attention spans will like it more. As is, the sport has been growing very rapidly in popularity for the last decade plus.
My perspective is that this is American College Soccer. We are the only nation that plays soccer in college and therefore, some of the rules require an American altering that reflect the collegiate system. The subbing restrictions would significantly hurt college soccer and contradicts the large roster sizes. If 'they' want to hinder or slow down the growth of college soccer with tighter subbing rules, then at least put a restriction on roster size to 22 to balance it. Cracks me up that they want to stop the clock with subbing but won't instill rules related to re-starts. And, it's why i (and a lot of people) lose respect for these clowns who review rules. Want to make this game sharp, clean and fun to watch?
1) implement strict re-start time parameters (ie- a team has no more than 15 seconds to throw a ball in or it's an automatic turnover, ....)
2) No heading the ball outside of the box - this prevents or lessens concussion rates and forces players to bring the ball to the ground where the real beauty and strategy of this game is playerd (FSU- ball on the ground, need I say more. Ok , I will. Messi- ball on the ground).
3) No slide tackle. The top teams don't slide tackle. The Slide tackle is for cheaters and pissed off players that got beat, tricked or simply aren't good enough. So, that player barrels , at full speed, into the legs of the better player. It causes career ending injuries. And it looks junky. No one likes a cheater. And the coaches that teach it - don't get me started. Again, the best teams in the world don't slide tackle- get rid of it.
Listen, folks like to see scoring. It's just that simple. Maybe in America we have a short attention span (I know I do at times), but the fact is highlight films and plays sell tickets and increase interest. So, sharpen the rules to allow for it. Also, the rest of the world collectively doesnt really have anything other than soccer. So, these international rule makers only have one perspective from one sport. Glad the game is growing (really, only on the mens side related to revenue and fan base). A good way to continue building support is to NOT screw up college soccer with international subbing rules - huge mistake. Gigantic.

Reactions: MAD
For soccer to continue to grow in America, the grassroots of the sport and its progression process must grow as well. Heck, a lot of parents prefer soccer over other sports because of safety issues (football) - get rid of slide tackle and open field headers. In high school, club and college we must keep a loser subbing pattern because it allows for more player inclusion which :
1) keeps parents forking out $$ and registering their kids for teams
2) forces coaches to develop players on a larger scale
3) keeps kids and younger players engaged
Hell, who wants to play a sport that because of subbing rules and a cowardly coach, that you might not get to ever play in? The pro level is different and can't be compared to anything less then, well, the pros. Or, we can mirror international subbing rules and watch the interest at the youth through collegiate level decline over the next 10 years. Again, this is a sport trying to gain traction in a country that already has a very successful sports culture, why shoot your self in the foot? Greater participation = greater interest. The rest of the world doesn't care about grassroot strategies to increase fan base because soccer is all they've got. These rule makers don't have vision.

Looser not loser. Oops! Sometimes I complain like a loser, but I can really let loose on the dance floor (not really).

My perspective is that this is American College Soccer. We are the only nation that plays soccer in college and therefore, some of the rules require an American altering that reflect the collegiate system. The subbing restrictions would significantly hurt college soccer and contradicts the large roster sizes. If 'they' want to hinder or slow down the growth of college soccer with tighter subbing rules, then at least put a restriction on roster size to 22 to balance it. Cracks me up that they want to stop the clock with subbing but won't instill rules related to re-starts. And, it's why i (and a lot of people) lose respect for these clowns who review rules. Want to make this game sharp, clean and fun to watch?
1) implement strict re-start time parameters (ie- a team has no more than 15 seconds to throw a ball in or it's an automatic turnover, ....)
2) No heading the ball outside of the box - this prevents or lessens concussion rates and forces players to bring the ball to the ground where the real beauty and strategy of this game is playerd (FSU- ball on the ground, need I say more. Ok , I will. Messi- ball on the ground).
3) No slide tackle. The top teams don't slide tackle. The Slide tackle is for cheaters and pissed off players that got beat, tricked or simply aren't good enough. So, that player barrels , at full speed, into the legs of the better player. It causes career ending injuries. And it looks junky. No one likes a cheater. And the coaches that teach it - don't get me started. Again, the best teams in the world don't slide tackle- get rid of it.
Listen, folks like to see scoring. It's just that simple. Maybe in America we have a short attention span (I know I do at times), but the fact is highlight films and plays sell tickets and increase interest. So, sharpen the rules to allow for it. Also, the rest of the world collectively doesnt really have anything other than soccer. So, these international rule makers only have one perspective from one sport. Glad the game is growing (really, only on the mens side related to revenue and fan base). A good way to continue building support is to NOT screw up college soccer with international subbing rules - huge mistake. Gigantic.

You make some good points.

I didn't realize that they want to reduce the amount of subbing. Is there a limit on the number of subs one can make now--assuming the playing going out doesn't come back in in the half? I agree that with big rosters, you want to get more players in the game. Teams do sub sometimes to waste time when they're leading. Problem is, subbing takes too long. Just stop the clock for subs and hurry players on and off the field. Stopping the clock for subs in the last 15 minutes, at the least, is a good idea, but I'd stop it for all subs. I tried watching some of the Mexican League game that Mad posted and there were so many subs and injuries that it was nearly impossible to watch.

I also agree about heading the ball: there is a concussion issue, and heading has to be reduced.

I've seen a lot of nice slide tackles over the years but, yes, they can be dangerous. They should give out more red cards for reckless tackles.

Last edited:
First half can't sub back in. Second half has no limits . The soccer rule purest want to make second half like the first. That is the part I disagree with at collegiate and below soccer. Pros can do what they want.

Once they implement changes at the collegiate level, it will trickle down to high school and club.

I agree on slide tackle. I've seen some perfect tackles but mostly I see a 'goon' just take someone out.

Tennessee Places Record 118 On Fall SEC Academic Honor Roll​

IMG_5888.jpeg

The University of Tennessee placed an athletics department-record 118 student-athletes on the 2023 Fall SEC Academic Honor Roll that was announced Thursday by league commissioner Greg Sankey.

That number represents a substantial improvement of 27 over last year's total of 91 student-athletes earning recognition on the league's Fall Academic Honor Roll.

Vol Football produced 63 honorees this year, which is a program record and also the second-highest total among SEC football programs in 2023. Under head coach Josh Heupel, the Vols have produced 133 SEC Academic Honor Roll recipients.

Soccer, meanwhile, put 17 on the list, followed by volleyball with 16, men's cross country with 14 and women's cross country with eight.

A total of 1,264 student-athletes were named to the 2023 Fall SEC Academic Honor Roll. It includes the sports of cross country, football, soccer and volleyball, and it is based on grades from the 2023 Spring, Summer and Fall terms.

Any student-athlete who participates in a Southeastern Conference championship sport or a student-athlete who participates in a sport listed on his/her institution's NCAA Sports Sponsorship Form is eligible for nomination to the SEC Academic Honor Roll.

The following criteria will be followed: (1) A student‐athlete must have a grade point average of 3.00 or above for either the preceding academic year (two semesters or three quarters) or have a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or above at the nominating institution. (2) If a student‐athlete attends summer school, his/her grade point average during the summer academic term must be included in the calculation used to determine eligibility for the Academic Honor Roll. (3) Student‐athletes eligible for the Honor Roll include those receiving an athletics scholarship, recipients of an athletics award (i.e., letter winner), and non‐scholarship student‐athletes who have been on a varsity team for two seasons. (4) Prior to being nominated, a student‐athlete must have successfully completed 24 semester or 36 quarter hours of non‐remedial academic credit toward a baccalaureate degree at the nominating institution. (5) The student‐athlete must have been a member of a varsity team for the sport's entire NCAA Championship segment.

Women's Soccer (17)
Nolyn Bartholomew - Kinesiology
Lindsey Brick - Kinesiology
Ally Brown - Finance
Dakota Brown - Psychology
Maddie Eskin - Biological Sciences
Jordan Fusco - Kinesiology
Mackenzie Haba - Management
Sydney Hennessey - Kinesiology
Leah Klurman - Communication Studies
Macaira Midgley - Marketing
Kennedy Price - Public Health
Abby Reisz - Kinesiology
Lawson Renie - Accounting (Master's)
Kameron Simmonds - Sport Management
Jenna Stayart - Marketing
Jaida Thomas - Human Resources and Management (Master's)
Giselle Washington - Agricultural Leadership, Education and Communication (Master's)

I read on another board that the proposed substitution rule change--no coming back in in the 2nd half if you are taken out--would only
apply to the men's college game, and that seems to be the language above, though it was a bit confusing.

History of Tennessee Soccer

Season 2003

Highlights

Highest ever ranking #7
SEC East champs
SEC Conference regular season champs
SEC Tournament champs
Made it the Sweet 16 for a second straight year
Angela Kelly Coach of the year

View attachment 616837View attachment 616838View attachment 616839

Since Head Coach Angela Kelly took over the program prior to the 2000 season, Lady Vol Soccer has risen from the bottom of the Southeastern Conference into a dominant presence on the national collegiate soccer scene. After bringing home its first SEC Tournament title and reaching the Sweet 16 of the Women’s College Cup in ’02, Tennessee entered its next campaign with heavy aspirations. Predicted by the league’s coaches to win the conference and carrying a preseason ranking of 12th — the highest prognostication since the school added the sport in 1996 — the Orange continued to blaze a winning path. On their way to a 17—5—2 over— all mark, the Lady Vols achieved the Triple Crown of the SEC’s Eastern Division, regular-season and tourney titles and peaked at seventh in the national polls. Ten- nessee hosted the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament and advanced to the Sweet 16 again following shutout victories over Oklahoma and Georgia. The squad put together a school—record 12- match unbeaten streak and battled valiantly before Florida connected on a penalty kick with less than one minute remaining for the lone goal in round three of the Women’s College Cup. UT made it two straight division titles as Kelly was named the league’s Coach of the Year for the initial time by her peers.
History of Lady Vols Soccer cont.

Season 2004 & Tennessee’s all time greatest player Kelley Dowling

Highlights
3rd straight SEC East champs
2nd straight overall SEC regular season champs
3rd straight SEC Tournament final
3rd straight NCAA Sweet 16
Angela Kelley SEC Coach of the Year
Highest ever ranking at #6 during the season.

IMG_5987.jpegIMG_5986.jpegIMG_5989.jpeg

KEELEY DOWLING PICKS UP NSCAA/adidas FIRST-TEAM ALL-AMERICA HONORS​

IMG_5990.jpeg

Already the most decorated Lady Vol soccer player in the program's history, senior defender Keeley Dowlingadded another honor to her impressive list of achievements when she was named to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA)/adidas Division I All-America Team for the third time. The selection was her second first-team nod (2003, 2004) and third of her career after Dowling received second-team honors following her sophomore campaign (2002). The Carmel, Ind., native joined Auburn sophomore defender Ronda Brooks (third-team) as the only members of the Southeastern Conference to reap an All-American listing.

The two-time reigning SEC Defensive Player of the Year, Dowling served as the cornerstone for a Tennessee defensive effort that equaled a UT season mark by limiting 2004 opponents to just 18 goals, registered 11 shutouts and held foes to an average of just nine shots a match. The senior also helped record a shutout streak of 334:58 that including consecutive blankings of Georgia, Kentucky (SEC Tournament) and Vanderbilt (SEC Tournament) and kept then-No. 1 North Carolina off the board in a 0-0 deadlock at the First Tennessee Lady Vol Classic on Sept. 10. A four-time All-SEC selection, the 2004 conference first-team choice added four goals and four assists during the campaign as the Orange & White posted a 17-5-2 overall mark, picked up the SEC Eastern Division and Regular-Season Championships and advanced to the program's third-consecutive NCAA Sweet 16.

Dowling was among the semifinalists for the Missouri Athletic Club's Hermann Trophy for Division I National Player of the Year and remains one of 12 finalists for Soccer Buzz Magazine's Player of the Year honor. She completed her career in the Orange & White among a senior class that registered a sterling overall record of 63-22-6 and posted four NCAA Tournament appearances, three NCAA Sweet 16 visits, three Southeastern Conference Eastern Division titles, two SEC regular-season crowns and two SEC Tournament championships, while helping Lady Vol Head Coach Angela Kelly lift the Tennessee program to national prominence.

UT's all-time leader in both matches played and started at 89, Dowling ended her stay at Tennessee in a tie for fifth (25 goals) on the career goal scoring list with former Lady Vol Kendyl Michner (1997-99), second in match-winning goals (10) and fifth in overall points (65 on 25 goals and 15 assists). She also finished deadlocked for the top spot in career "golden goals" (three) after her sudden-victory overtime score in the 2004 season-opener downed then-No. 15 Duke 4-3 (OT).

Among the first-team selections were MAC Hermann Trophy finalists Heather O'Reilly (UNC), Tiffany Weimer (Penn State) and Christine Sinclair (Portland), all receiving their second career All-America consideration. Portland junior Lindsey Huie joined Dowling as the only three-time choices, while Stanford goalkeeper Nicole Barnhart, Kansas defender Holly Gault, Penn State defender Natalie Jacobs, North Carolina midfielder Lori Chalupny, Princeton midfielder Diana Matheson, Santa Clara midfielder Leslie Osborn and Princeton forward Esmeralda Negron rounded out the first-team.

She is currently the head coach at Colorado State Kelley Hagen

IMG_5993.jpeg

A three-time All-American and former professional soccer player Keeley Hagen was named the second-ever head soccer coach at Colorado State University on June 1, 2021.

In her first two seasons with the Rams, she has helped guide them to an appearance in the Mountain West Conference in 2021 with a 6-8-3 (5-5-1 MW) record. Hagen and her staff continue to grow the program as it enters its second decade, going 4-7-8 (1-4-6 MW) in 2022. The eight ties are a program record.

She has coached three Rams to All-Mountain West honors, two in 2021 (Gracie Armstrong and Kristen Noonan) and one in 2022 (Liv Layton). Along with a pair of All-Newcomer honorees, both freshmen Shayna Ross (2021) and Mia Massey (2022).

Hagen came to Fort Collins with 14 years of assistant coach experience at the power five level, the last eight at Texas. During her time in Austin, Hagen helped lead Texas to 92 victories, a trio of Big 12 Championship semifinal berths and four NCAA Tournament berths, including a Sweet 16 in 2017, all while helping mentor defenses that have combined for 69 total shutouts over 173 games. While part of the staff on the Forty Acres, 14 of her student-athletes have earned United Soccer Coaches All-Region honors while 17 players have combined for 39 All-Big 12 Conference accolades, including Cyera Hintzen’s 2018 nod as the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year and four Big 12 Freshman of the Year honors (Hintzen - 2016; Haley Berg - 2017; Julia Grosso - 2018; Presley Echols - 2020).

Prior to Texas, Hagen was an assist coach at her alma mater, Tennessee from 2005-11. During her time as an assistant coach in Knoxville, Hagen helped guide the Lady Vols to a pair of NCAA Tournament appearances and one Southeastern Conference Tournament title.

The Carmel, Ind., native played three seasons of professional soccer as she suited up for Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS). She was the eighth overall pick of the WPS Allocation Draft in October 2008, heading to Sky Blue FC and earning a starting spot on defense. She joined a roster that included U.S. Women’s National Team members Christie Rampone, Heather O’Reilly and Natasha Kai. In 2009, Hagen helped Sky Blue FC to the WPS title, scoring the eventual winning goal during a 1-0 semifinal victory. The effort earned the team an opportunity to visit the White House in the summer of 2010 to be honored by President Barack Obama.

During the 2009 campaign, Hagen played in 19 games, starting 18. A year later, she appeared in 20 games with 18 starts for Sky Blue FC. In 2011, she signed with Atlanta Beat, starting all 11 games before suffering a season-ending ACL tear. For her career, she played in 50 games, including 47 starts.

In addition to the WPS experience, Hagen played for the United Soccer League W-League’s Charlotte Lady Hawks and professionally in Sweden. While with the Hawks, Dowling was named to the 2005 W-League All-League Team as well as the All-Central Conference Team.

As a player for the Lady Vols, Hagen earned three consecutive NSCAA All-America selections (2002-04), becoming the first All-America honoree in program history. She helped Tennessee to its first NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 appearance in 2002 and to a four-year record of 63-22-6 (.725 winning percentage).

The 2003 and 2004 Soccer Buzz Central Region Player of the Year also earned SEC Defensive Player of the Year honors during those two campaigns. In addition to the NSCAA accolades, Hagen picked up All-America honors from four organizations during her playing career. She was a four-time All-SEC selection, a two-time Missouri Athletic Club Hermann Trophy semifinalist (2003-04) and a two-time Soccer Buzz Player of the Year finalist (2003-04). She also excelled in the classroom, earning Academic All-SEC honors on three occasions.
At the end of her four years, Hagen had tallied 25 goals, 15 assists and 65 points in 89 games, all starts. She still rates in four Tennessee career top-10 lists: matches played, matches started, points and goals.

After spending the 2005 campaign as a student assistant coach, Hagen started her full-time coaching career as an interim assistant in the 2007 NCAA Tournament when Lady Vols then-assistant coach Jen Laughridge Grubb gave birth to her first child. Hagen served as interim assistant coach from the opening rounds of the tournament through the end of Grubb’s maternity leave.

Possessing a wealth of international playing experience, Hagen served as a captain on the U.S. U-19 Women’s National Team and earned a gold medal at the FIFA U-19 Women’s World Championship in 2002. Two years later, she helped the U.S. U-21 team to a gold medal in the Nordic Cup.

Hagen was one of 35 players selected to compete for a spot on the national team roster for the Algarve Cup in Portugal in 2007 and competed for a roster spot for the 2008 Olympics.
She did not make the final roster, but signed a contract with U.S. Soccer in March, earning an automatic invitation to any national team tryouts for the next year.

Hagen received her bachelor’s degree in education with an emphasis in exercise science from the University of Tennessee in December 2005. She also earned her United States Soccer Federation "A" license in 2019.

Happy for Shae--and I hope Bristol City can pick up more points, and some wins, as they are in last place in the league, I believe,
and threatened with relegation if they don't climb the table.
They have 9 matches left hopefully they are able to move move up 1 spot.

IMG_6001.jpeg

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I like asking this question every once in awhile.

Which professional or amateur soccer leagues, teams or players do you support, watch or follow?

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Season 2004 & Tennessee’s all time greatest player Kelley Dowling

Highlights
3rd straight SEC East champs
2nd straight overall SEC regular season champs
3rd straight SEC Tournament final
3rd straight NCAA Sweet 16
Angela Kelley SEC Coach of the Year
Highest ever ranking at #6 during the season.

View attachment 616974View attachment 616975View attachment 616976

KEELEY DOWLING PICKS UP NSCAA/adidas FIRST-TEAM ALL-AMERICA HONORS​

View attachment 616979

Already the most decorated Lady Vol soccer player in the program's history, senior defender Keeley Dowlingadded another honor to her impressive list of achievements when she was named to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA)/adidas Division I All-America Team for the third time. The selection was her second first-team nod (2003, 2004) and third of her career after Dowling received second-team honors following her sophomore campaign (2002). The Carmel, Ind., native joined Auburn sophomore defender Ronda Brooks (third-team) as the only members of the Southeastern Conference to reap an All-American listing.

The two-time reigning SEC Defensive Player of the Year, Dowling served as the cornerstone for a Tennessee defensive effort that equaled a UT season mark by limiting 2004 opponents to just 18 goals, registered 11 shutouts and held foes to an average of just nine shots a match. The senior also helped record a shutout streak of 334:58 that including consecutive blankings of Georgia, Kentucky (SEC Tournament) and Vanderbilt (SEC Tournament) and kept then-No. 1 North Carolina off the board in a 0-0 deadlock at the First Tennessee Lady Vol Classic on Sept. 10. A four-time All-SEC selection, the 2004 conference first-team choice added four goals and four assists during the campaign as the Orange & White posted a 17-5-2 overall mark, picked up the SEC Eastern Division and Regular-Season Championships and advanced to the program's third-consecutive NCAA Sweet 16.

Dowling was among the semifinalists for the Missouri Athletic Club's Hermann Trophy for Division I National Player of the Year and remains one of 12 finalists for Soccer Buzz Magazine's Player of the Year honor. She completed her career in the Orange & White among a senior class that registered a sterling overall record of 63-22-6 and posted four NCAA Tournament appearances, three NCAA Sweet 16 visits, three Southeastern Conference Eastern Division titles, two SEC regular-season crowns and two SEC Tournament championships, while helping Lady Vol Head Coach Angela Kelly lift the Tennessee program to national prominence.

UT's all-time leader in both matches played and started at 89, Dowling ended her stay at Tennessee in a tie for fifth (25 goals) on the career goal scoring list with former Lady Vol Kendyl Michner (1997-99), second in match-winning goals (10) and fifth in overall points (65 on 25 goals and 15 assists). She also finished deadlocked for the top spot in career "golden goals" (three) after her sudden-victory overtime score in the 2004 season-opener downed then-No. 15 Duke 4-3 (OT).

Among the first-team selections were MAC Hermann Trophy finalists Heather O'Reilly (UNC), Tiffany Weimer (Penn State) and Christine Sinclair (Portland), all receiving their second career All-America consideration. Portland junior Lindsey Huie joined Dowling as the only three-time choices, while Stanford goalkeeper Nicole Barnhart, Kansas defender Holly Gault, Penn State defender Natalie Jacobs, North Carolina midfielder Lori Chalupny, Princeton midfielder Diana Matheson, Santa Clara midfielder Leslie Osborn and Princeton forward Esmeralda Negron rounded out the first-team.

She is currently the head coach at Colorado State Kelley Hagen

View attachment 616980

A three-time All-American and former professional soccer player Keeley Hagen was named the second-ever head soccer coach at Colorado State University on June 1, 2021.

In her first two seasons with the Rams, she has helped guide them to an appearance in the Mountain West Conference in 2021 with a 6-8-3 (5-5-1 MW) record. Hagen and her staff continue to grow the program as it enters its second decade, going 4-7-8 (1-4-6 MW) in 2022. The eight ties are a program record.

She has coached three Rams to All-Mountain West honors, two in 2021 (Gracie Armstrong and Kristen Noonan) and one in 2022 (Liv Layton). Along with a pair of All-Newcomer honorees, both freshmen Shayna Ross (2021) and Mia Massey (2022).

Hagen came to Fort Collins with 14 years of assistant coach experience at the power five level, the last eight at Texas. During her time in Austin, Hagen helped lead Texas to 92 victories, a trio of Big 12 Championship semifinal berths and four NCAA Tournament berths, including a Sweet 16 in 2017, all while helping mentor defenses that have combined for 69 total shutouts over 173 games. While part of the staff on the Forty Acres, 14 of her student-athletes have earned United Soccer Coaches All-Region honors while 17 players have combined for 39 All-Big 12 Conference accolades, including Cyera Hintzen’s 2018 nod as the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year and four Big 12 Freshman of the Year honors (Hintzen - 2016; Haley Berg - 2017; Julia Grosso - 2018; Presley Echols - 2020).

Prior to Texas, Hagen was an assist coach at her alma mater, Tennessee from 2005-11. During her time as an assistant coach in Knoxville, Hagen helped guide the Lady Vols to a pair of NCAA Tournament appearances and one Southeastern Conference Tournament title.

The Carmel, Ind., native played three seasons of professional soccer as she suited up for Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS). She was the eighth overall pick of the WPS Allocation Draft in October 2008, heading to Sky Blue FC and earning a starting spot on defense. She joined a roster that included U.S. Women’s National Team members Christie Rampone, Heather O’Reilly and Natasha Kai. In 2009, Hagen helped Sky Blue FC to the WPS title, scoring the eventual winning goal during a 1-0 semifinal victory. The effort earned the team an opportunity to visit the White House in the summer of 2010 to be honored by President Barack Obama.

During the 2009 campaign, Hagen played in 19 games, starting 18. A year later, she appeared in 20 games with 18 starts for Sky Blue FC. In 2011, she signed with Atlanta Beat, starting all 11 games before suffering a season-ending ACL tear. For her career, she played in 50 games, including 47 starts.

In addition to the WPS experience, Hagen played for the United Soccer League W-League’s Charlotte Lady Hawks and professionally in Sweden. While with the Hawks, Dowling was named to the 2005 W-League All-League Team as well as the All-Central Conference Team.

As a player for the Lady Vols, Hagen earned three consecutive NSCAA All-America selections (2002-04), becoming the first All-America honoree in program history. She helped Tennessee to its first NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 appearance in 2002 and to a four-year record of 63-22-6 (.725 winning percentage).

The 2003 and 2004 Soccer Buzz Central Region Player of the Year also earned SEC Defensive Player of the Year honors during those two campaigns. In addition to the NSCAA accolades, Hagen picked up All-America honors from four organizations during her playing career. She was a four-time All-SEC selection, a two-time Missouri Athletic Club Hermann Trophy semifinalist (2003-04) and a two-time Soccer Buzz Player of the Year finalist (2003-04). She also excelled in the classroom, earning Academic All-SEC honors on three occasions.
At the end of her four years, Hagen had tallied 25 goals, 15 assists and 65 points in 89 games, all starts. She still rates in four Tennessee career top-10 lists: matches played, matches started, points and goals.

After spending the 2005 campaign as a student assistant coach, Hagen started her full-time coaching career as an interim assistant in the 2007 NCAA Tournament when Lady Vols then-assistant coach Jen Laughridge Grubb gave birth to her first child. Hagen served as interim assistant coach from the opening rounds of the tournament through the end of Grubb’s maternity leave.

Possessing a wealth of international playing experience, Hagen served as a captain on the U.S. U-19 Women’s National Team and earned a gold medal at the FIFA U-19 Women’s World Championship in 2002. Two years later, she helped the U.S. U-21 team to a gold medal in the Nordic Cup.

Hagen was one of 35 players selected to compete for a spot on the national team roster for the Algarve Cup in Portugal in 2007 and competed for a roster spot for the 2008 Olympics.
She did not make the final roster, but signed a contract with U.S. Soccer in March, earning an automatic invitation to any national team tryouts for the next year.

Hagen received her bachelor’s degree in education with an emphasis in exercise science from the University of Tennessee in December 2005. She also earned her United States Soccer Federation "A" license in 2019.
History of Lady Vols soccer cont.

2005 season and new facility announced.

Won the SEC regular season title and the SEC Tournament.

IMG_5988.jpegIMG_6009.jpegIMG_6010.jpeg

Hemant Sharma’s first year on the coaching staff.
IMG_5994.jpeg

REGAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP PARTNERS WITH UT ATHLETICS FOR NEW SOCCER FACILITY​

Sept. 2, 2005

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. --
Prior to tonight's Lady Vol soccer home opening match, the soccer stadium will be re-named Regal Soccer Stadium in recognition of Regal Entertainment Group's loyal support of Tennessee Athletics and their most recent commitment to the enhancement of athletic facilities for all 20 men's and women's athletic teams.

"Regal Entertainment Group has been a wonderful partner for the university and the athletic department, particularly women's athletics, for many years," said Joan Cronan, University of Tennessee women's athletics director. "Their generous contribution will allow our soccer program to be one of the best in the country."

Construction on the new 3,000-seat stadium will begin in December and will be complete for the 2006 soccer season. The stadium will be located at the current soccer stadium site off Neyland Drive.

"We are thrilled to have the opportunity to support Angela Kelly's up and coming women's soccer program," said Mike Campbell, chief executive officer of Regal Entertainment Group. "The success of her program and the rest of the Tennessee athletic teams has been a source of pride for Tennessee fans. We hope this commitment will help ensure a successful future for all of these teams. We truly value our relationship with the Tennessee Athletics Department and are proud that Tennessee fans will be able to enjoy a championship caliber program in the new Regal Soccer Stadium."

Regal Soccer Stadium will include permanent stands, a press box, new restrooms and new concession stands. It will be built to be enlarged as demand warrants and interest in Lady Vol soccer continues to grow. Last year, the Lady Vols finished in the top 10 nationally in attendance.

"In order for Tennessee to continue to attract top national recruits, it is imperative that we not only compete with, but surpass, our competition. We want a national championship at Tennessee," said Angela Kelly, head women's soccer coach. "The only obstacle we have had was our lack of a permanent soccer facility. Thanks to Regal Entertainment Group, we now have everything we need to compete at the highest level."

The addition of a new soccer stadium is part of the University of Tennessee athletic departments effort to upgrade facilities for nearly every sport program. Other facility efforts underway include the renovation of Neyland Stadium, the Allan Jones Intercollegiate Aquatic Center, the Intercollegiate Golf Complex and a new softball stadium.

Facilities completed include the Toby McKenzie and Brenda Lawson Athletic Center, the expansion of the indoor field at the Neyland-Thompson Sports Complex, the addition of the Wolf-Kaplan Hospitality Center, and Haslam Field, the outdoor practice field for the Tennessee football stadium.

"Regal Entertainment Group is a true leader for Tennessee Athletics," said Mike Hamilton, director of men's athletics. "It has been a pleasure of mine to work with Mike Campbell and Greg Dunn. Their support will assist us in ensuring each program has the necessary facility to recruit, train and compete for SEC and national titles in every sport."

Regal Entertainment Group (NYSE: RGC) is the largest motion picture exhibitor in the world. The company's theatre circuit, comprising Regal Cinemas, United Artists Theatres and Edwards Theatres, operates 6,605 screens in 579 locations in 40 states. Regal operates approximately 18 percent of all indoor screens in the United States, including theatres in 44 of the top 50 U.S. markets and growing suburban areas. Additional information is available on the company's web site at www.REGmovies.com.

The University of Tennessee Athletics Department is among a select few nationwide that does not receive funds from the university, state subsidies or tax revenues.

IMG_6011.jpeg
Regal Soccer Stadium

History of Lady Vols soccer cont.

2005 season and new facility announced.

Won the SEC regular season title and the SEC Tournament.

View attachment 617344View attachment 617345View attachment 617346

Hemant Sharma’s first year on the coaching staff.
View attachment 617347

REGAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP PARTNERS WITH UT ATHLETICS FOR NEW SOCCER FACILITY​

Sept. 2, 2005

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. --
Prior to tonight's Lady Vol soccer home opening match, the soccer stadium will be re-named Regal Soccer Stadium in recognition of Regal Entertainment Group's loyal support of Tennessee Athletics and their most recent commitment to the enhancement of athletic facilities for all 20 men's and women's athletic teams.

"Regal Entertainment Group has been a wonderful partner for the university and the athletic department, particularly women's athletics, for many years," said Joan Cronan, University of Tennessee women's athletics director. "Their generous contribution will allow our soccer program to be one of the best in the country."

Construction on the new 3,000-seat stadium will begin in December and will be complete for the 2006 soccer season. The stadium will be located at the current soccer stadium site off Neyland Drive.

"We are thrilled to have the opportunity to support Angela Kelly's up and coming women's soccer program," said Mike Campbell, chief executive officer of Regal Entertainment Group. "The success of her program and the rest of the Tennessee athletic teams has been a source of pride for Tennessee fans. We hope this commitment will help ensure a successful future for all of these teams. We truly value our relationship with the Tennessee Athletics Department and are proud that Tennessee fans will be able to enjoy a championship caliber program in the new Regal Soccer Stadium."

Regal Soccer Stadium will include permanent stands, a press box, new restrooms and new concession stands. It will be built to be enlarged as demand warrants and interest in Lady Vol soccer continues to grow. Last year, the Lady Vols finished in the top 10 nationally in attendance.

"In order for Tennessee to continue to attract top national recruits, it is imperative that we not only compete with, but surpass, our competition. We want a national championship at Tennessee," said Angela Kelly, head women's soccer coach. "The only obstacle we have had was our lack of a permanent soccer facility. Thanks to Regal Entertainment Group, we now have everything we need to compete at the highest level."

The addition of a new soccer stadium is part of the University of Tennessee athletic departments effort to upgrade facilities for nearly every sport program. Other facility efforts underway include the renovation of Neyland Stadium, the Allan Jones Intercollegiate Aquatic Center, the Intercollegiate Golf Complex and a new softball stadium.

Facilities completed include the Toby McKenzie and Brenda Lawson Athletic Center, the expansion of the indoor field at the Neyland-Thompson Sports Complex, the addition of the Wolf-Kaplan Hospitality Center, and Haslam Field, the outdoor practice field for the Tennessee football stadium.

"Regal Entertainment Group is a true leader for Tennessee Athletics," said Mike Hamilton, director of men's athletics. "It has been a pleasure of mine to work with Mike Campbell and Greg Dunn. Their support will assist us in ensuring each program has the necessary facility to recruit, train and compete for SEC and national titles in every sport."

Regal Entertainment Group (NYSE: RGC) is the largest motion picture exhibitor in the world. The company's theatre circuit, comprising Regal Cinemas, United Artists Theatres and Edwards Theatres, operates 6,605 screens in 579 locations in 40 states. Regal operates approximately 18 percent of all indoor screens in the United States, including theatres in 44 of the top 50 U.S. markets and growing suburban areas. Additional information is available on the company's web site at www.REGmovies.com.

The University of Tennessee Athletics Department is among a select few nationwide that does not receive funds from the university, state subsidies or tax revenues.

View attachment 617350
Regal Soccer Stadium

Season 2006

IMG_6026.jpegIMG_6022.jpegIMG_6023.jpeg

Ali Christoph scored the very first goal in the new Regal Soccer Stadium.

Here is the article and some photos of the game winner by Ali.

CHRISTOPH PENALTY KICK LEADS 14TH-RANKED LADY VOLS OVER NO. 6 VIRGINIA​

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - A 98th-minute penalty kick by senior All-American midfielder Ali Christoph gave the No. 14 Tennessee soccer team a 1-0 victory over No. 6 Virginia in the first match at the Regal Soccer Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

UT's first win of 2006 comes against the same team that it broke through against in 2005, and it came in similar dramatic fashion. Freshman forward Devon Swaim (Levittown, Pa.) was driving toward goal down the sideline and trying to fight past Virginia defender Alli Fries. Swaim got a step on the defender and cut to the net, but she was taken down inside the penalty box, causing the penalty kick attempt. Christoph (Columbus, Ohio) stepped up and knocked the shot past UVA senior goalkeeper Christina de Vries to end the match.

The Lady Vols had control of the ball most of the overtime period, taking two shots during the extra time while Virginia had none. Thirty seconds into overtime, Swaim tried to end the match with a shot from inside the 18-yard box, but de Vries made the stop.

The second half was a back-and-forth battle mainly in the midfield. Both teams had opportunities to score, with the Cavaliers' sophomore midfielder Kelly Quinn having the best chance. In the 86th minute, Quinn shot from inside the penalty box after a corner kick by Caitlin Miskel. Quinn's try hit the crossbar and went away from goal, where the UT defenders were able to clear it.

Tennessee's best try in the second half came in the 79th minute when sophomore forward Kylee Rossi (Pennington, N.J.) had her header try off a Christoph free kick snagged by de Vries. Just minutes before, the Orange and White sent some passes up for the UT forwards, but de Vries was able to grab those lead passes just before the attackers could get to them.

In the first half, the Big Orange tried to take the action to de Vries early. Swaim was successful in the third minute in getting behind the netminder on a drive, but her shot from the left wing stayed left of goal.

"We came out very inspired in the second half," said UT head coach Angela Kelly. "We had a couple of changes that we needed to make. I'm a little disappointed in our performance in the first half. We still have to bring a consistent effort the entire game, but we still have a young team and it's still early in the season. We're just excited about the opportunities that lie ahead.

"When we come inspired and ready to play, we can compete with anyone in the country. I would like to see them play with that kind of inspiration for the full 90 minutes every time so that it becomes part of whom we are and not what just shows up sometimes. We're going to work on that."

For the match, Virginia held a 14-11 lead in shots, while the Lady Vols finished with a 7-4 advantage in corner kicks. UT was called offside on five occasions compared to three by the Cavaliers. Sophomore goalkeeper Jaimel Johnson (Dayton, Ohio) made four saves in her first career win.

IMG_6028.jpegIMG_6029.jpegIMG_6030.jpeg

Also Ali is only the Second Lady Soccer Vol to become a first team All American. There have been none since.

Season 2006

View attachment 617660View attachment 617661View attachment 617662

Ali Christoph scored the very first goal in the new Regal Soccer Stadium.

Here is the article and some photos of the game winner by Ali.

CHRISTOPH PENALTY KICK LEADS 14TH-RANKED LADY VOLS OVER NO. 6 VIRGINIA​

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - A 98th-minute penalty kick by senior All-American midfielder Ali Christoph gave the No. 14 Tennessee soccer team a 1-0 victory over No. 6 Virginia in the first match at the Regal Soccer Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

UT's first win of 2006 comes against the same team that it broke through against in 2005, and it came in similar dramatic fashion. Freshman forward Devon Swaim (Levittown, Pa.) was driving toward goal down the sideline and trying to fight past Virginia defender Alli Fries. Swaim got a step on the defender and cut to the net, but she was taken down inside the penalty box, causing the penalty kick attempt. Christoph (Columbus, Ohio) stepped up and knocked the shot past UVA senior goalkeeper Christina de Vries to end the match.

The Lady Vols had control of the ball most of the overtime period, taking two shots during the extra time while Virginia had none. Thirty seconds into overtime, Swaim tried to end the match with a shot from inside the 18-yard box, but de Vries made the stop.

The second half was a back-and-forth battle mainly in the midfield. Both teams had opportunities to score, with the Cavaliers' sophomore midfielder Kelly Quinn having the best chance. In the 86th minute, Quinn shot from inside the penalty box after a corner kick by Caitlin Miskel. Quinn's try hit the crossbar and went away from goal, where the UT defenders were able to clear it.

Tennessee's best try in the second half came in the 79th minute when sophomore forward Kylee Rossi (Pennington, N.J.) had her header try off a Christoph free kick snagged by de Vries. Just minutes before, the Orange and White sent some passes up for the UT forwards, but de Vries was able to grab those lead passes just before the attackers could get to them.

In the first half, the Big Orange tried to take the action to de Vries early. Swaim was successful in the third minute in getting behind the netminder on a drive, but her shot from the left wing stayed left of goal.

"We came out very inspired in the second half," said UT head coach Angela Kelly. "We had a couple of changes that we needed to make. I'm a little disappointed in our performance in the first half. We still have to bring a consistent effort the entire game, but we still have a young team and it's still early in the season. We're just excited about the opportunities that lie ahead.

"When we come inspired and ready to play, we can compete with anyone in the country. I would like to see them play with that kind of inspiration for the full 90 minutes every time so that it becomes part of whom we are and not what just shows up sometimes. We're going to work on that."

For the match, Virginia held a 14-11 lead in shots, while the Lady Vols finished with a 7-4 advantage in corner kicks. UT was called offside on five occasions compared to three by the Cavaliers. Sophomore goalkeeper Jaimel Johnson (Dayton, Ohio) made four saves in her first career win.

View attachment 617669View attachment 617670View attachment 617671

Also Ali is only the Second Lady Soccer Vol to become a first team All American. There have been none since.

So surprising that there’s not been a first team All American since! Really enjoying learning about the program, particularly Angela Kelly since she is still coaching and will be returning to the SEC...

Reactions: MAD and chuckiepoo
So surprising that there’s not been a first team All American since! Really enjoying learning about the program, particularly Angela Kelly since she is still coaching and will be returning to the SEC...
I didn’t even think about that. Looking forward to the rivalry between Kelly and Kirt.

Kirt’s first year in Knoxville was in 2007. Was gonna save this for tomorrow but I’ll post it now.

IMG_6025.jpeg

VN Store

Back