⚽️ Tennessee Lady Vols Soccer

The sister of incoming freshman Nyla Blue👇

Kayla Blue
IMG_6031.jpeg

Thank you @vol_soccer for inviting me to your ID camp! l had a great time, and learned a lot. Thank you again to all the coaching staff, and players who made it possible! 🍊

What is considered the perfect roster size in college soccer?

I'd say about 26. That gives you two full squads---a backup at every position (in theory) plus a third keeper and 2/3 additional
players.

Get this: we have a spring roster of 21. We then have 10--count 'em--freshmen coming in August plus three more transfers.

That is a fall roster of 34. Absurd. I have no idea what Kirt and the staff are thinking (natch)---and there is simply no way that that many players can be smartly managed. We signed at least three transfers too many (and three that I would bet are not going to help us a lot), and then 10 freshmen? It's too many.

I remember looking at the UNC player dugout in recent years and frowning at the size of the roster--there were so many players they could all barely fit inside the space. We'll be the new UNC with respect to roster size this season, without the dugout. We certainly shouldn't have a depth problem this next season. (And here comes StMichael to rightly vent about this....)

Reactions: MAD
I'd say about 26. That gives you two full squads---a backup at every position (in theory) plus a third keeper and 2/3 additional
players.

Get this: we have a spring roster of 21. We then have 10--count 'em--freshmen coming in August plus three more transfers.

That is a fall roster of 34. Absurd. I have no idea what Kirt and the staff are thinking (natch)---and there is simply no way that that many players can be smartly managed. We signed at least three transfers too many (and three that I would bet are not going to help us a lot), and then 10 freshmen? It's too many.

I remember looking at the UNC player dugout in recent years and frowning at the size of the roster--there were so many players they could all barely fit inside the space. We'll be the new UNC with respect to roster size this season, without the dugout. We certainly shouldn't have a depth problem this next season. (And here comes StMichael to rightly vent about this....)
Sounds similar to Vitello. If they want to come…

Sounds similar to Vitello. If they want to come…

I know! I look at our baseball commits and we list about 20 commits---every year! I'm not sure how big our baseball roster is, maybe 25--but
there is no way we could add even 10 freshmen ever year, I don't think. A few of the commits sign pro contracts after high school, but still....it's a lot. I seriously don't know what happens to many of them. Certainly these days at least 5 guys are transferring out ever year--and there are just high numbers of in-transfers and out-transfers now in every sport.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
I know! I look at our baseball commits and we list about 20 commits---every year! I'm not sure how big our baseball roster is, maybe 25--but
there is no way we could add even 10 freshmen ever year, I don't think. A few of the commits sign pro contracts after high school, but still....it's a lot. I seriously don't know what happens to many of them. Certainly these days at least 5 guys are transferring out ever year--and there are just high numbers of in-transfers and out-transfers now in every sport.
25 sounds close to an actual roster number. Probably 40+ if non roster walk ons are considered.

The translation from Swedish isn’t great.

Gratifying! Hannah Tillett extends with SDFF​

IMG_6056.jpeg
Hannah Tillett had hoped to get a contract with a club in the Damallsvenskan. That's not how it turned out for SDFF's pious as she signed on for a new season with the club Action.

She aimed for the Damallsvenskan.
But there will be an extension with the SDFF for the American Hannah Tillett, who came last summer and was responsible for a great autumn when they hung on despite a dark spring season.
- It's one of the numbers I wanted back, says interim sports director Pelle Persson to ST-sporten.

After nine players disappeared from last year's SDFF, the happy news came that the 23-year-old American Hannah Tillett is extending. Hannah, who arrived during the summer and was one of the reasons for the team's superb autumn and the securing of a new contract.
- It's one of those numbers I wanted back. She is fantastic as a player, so we are very happy about that, says interim sports manager Pelle Persson to ST-sporten.

Hannah's goal for this season was to get to a club in the Damallsvenskan, but when there was no pacifier, she signed for a new season with SDFF.
- Now she really gets a chance to show off for the Women's National League as well. Because last year it was such a short time that she played for us. But in Sundsvall she really made an impression, so Elitetta knows very well what kind of player she is, says Pelle Persson.

Translation isn’t great.

The champions get a lot of team support from Laugardal

IMG_6059.png

American midfielder Katie Cousins has joined the Icelandic champions Vals after being a key player in Þróttar's team last season.

Cousins is an attacking midfielder who handles the ball very well and has a keen eye for play. She has scored 11 goals in 37 games in the top league in this country, but she played with Þrótti in the summer of 2021 and then again last season.
In Val's announcement, it is clear that the club will lose several players, and therefore we are pleased to have reached an agreement with Katie, who will play a big role.
Among the players who say goodbye to Val is Þórdís Elva Ágústsdóttir, who kept playing professionally at Växjö in Sweden after being one of the best midfielders in the Best League this summer.

players.

Ok - you got me figured out 😂😂😂. When the coach to player ratio is diluted = disorganization/failure. Dorrance's goal was to trap all the best players so other teams couldn't get them (before the transfer rule change). At least he took his salary to higher more coaches and increase their pay.

My other concern is that when 1/3 or more of your team becomes unengaged and overcome with hopelessness, the mental health of the team becomes toxic very quickly - 11 starters can't overcome a toxic locker room and either can a coach.

Reactions: MAD and brittannica
Ok - you got me figured out 😂😂😂. When the coach to player ratio is diluted = disorganization/failure. Dorrance's goal was to trap all the best players so other teams couldn't get them (before the transfer rule change). At least he took his salary to higher more coaches and increase their pay.

My other concern is that when 1/3 or more of your team becomes unengaged and overcome with hopelessness, the mental health of the team becomes toxic very quickly - 11 starters can't overcome a toxic locker room and either can a coach.
Hire - silly voice text makes me look illiterate!!

UT Students to Work Behind the Scenes at Super Bowl LVIII​

IMG_6068.jpeg

Students from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, have partnered again for the annual Big Orange Combine, a program that enables a select group of UT students to experience what it takes to orchestrate America’s largest sporting event: the Super Bowl.

This year’s Big Orange Combine will take the students to Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada, for the Feb. 11 matchup between the Kansas City Chiefs and the San Francisco 49ers. The group will be working the Super Bowl experience and game day, meeting professionals in business, sports and marketing to see how those industries collaborate for an event watched by millions of viewers worldwide.

Debbie Mackey, Distinguished Lecturer in Management and Entrepreneurship and coordinator of undergraduate human resources management in the Haslam College of Business, has served as faculty adviser for the Big Orange Combine since 2012 and will accompany the students to Super Bowl LVIII. Josh Liddell, assistant director of student-athlete development in the Thornton Athletics Student Life Center, will also be joining the group.

“It is hard to put into words how exciting this is as you watch every aspect of business work together,” said Mackey. “It is an amazing opportunity for the students to work behind the scenes at one of the largest sporting events of the year.”

The students will depart for Nevada on Feb. 7 and return Feb. 12. Nine students are participating this year:

Bridget Barnes of South Riding, Virginia, a senior in supply chain management

Lindsay Brick of Gaithersburg, Maryland, a senior in psychology and a member of the soccer team

Brooke Dixon of Brownsburg, Indiana, a senior in marketing in digital and visual design and a member of the track and field team and cross country team

Campbell Hubbard of Hendersonville, Tennessee, a junior in marketing

JaKya Moore of Knightdale, North Carolina, a senior in human resources management and a member of the volleyball team

Bethany Naffizger of Tullahoma, Tennessee, a senior in management

Jenna Stayart of Cary, Illinois, a junior in marketing and a member of the soccer team

Julia Thompson of Nashville, a junior in human resources management

Wes Turner of Murfreesboro, Tennessee, a senior in sport management

History of Lady Vols Soccer cont.

Season 2006

View attachment 617660View attachment 617661View attachment 617662

Ali Christoph scored the very first goal in the new Regal Soccer Stadium.

Here is the article and some photos of the game winner by Ali.

CHRISTOPH PENALTY KICK LEADS 14TH-RANKED LADY VOLS OVER NO. 6 VIRGINIA​

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - A 98th-minute penalty kick by senior All-American midfielder Ali Christoph gave the No. 14 Tennessee soccer team a 1-0 victory over No. 6 Virginia in the first match at the Regal Soccer Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

UT's first win of 2006 comes against the same team that it broke through against in 2005, and it came in similar dramatic fashion. Freshman forward Devon Swaim (Levittown, Pa.) was driving toward goal down the sideline and trying to fight past Virginia defender Alli Fries. Swaim got a step on the defender and cut to the net, but she was taken down inside the penalty box, causing the penalty kick attempt. Christoph (Columbus, Ohio) stepped up and knocked the shot past UVA senior goalkeeper Christina de Vries to end the match.

The Lady Vols had control of the ball most of the overtime period, taking two shots during the extra time while Virginia had none. Thirty seconds into overtime, Swaim tried to end the match with a shot from inside the 18-yard box, but de Vries made the stop.

The second half was a back-and-forth battle mainly in the midfield. Both teams had opportunities to score, with the Cavaliers' sophomore midfielder Kelly Quinn having the best chance. In the 86th minute, Quinn shot from inside the penalty box after a corner kick by Caitlin Miskel. Quinn's try hit the crossbar and went away from goal, where the UT defenders were able to clear it.

Tennessee's best try in the second half came in the 79th minute when sophomore forward Kylee Rossi (Pennington, N.J.) had her header try off a Christoph free kick snagged by de Vries. Just minutes before, the Orange and White sent some passes up for the UT forwards, but de Vries was able to grab those lead passes just before the attackers could get to them.

In the first half, the Big Orange tried to take the action to de Vries early. Swaim was successful in the third minute in getting behind the netminder on a drive, but her shot from the left wing stayed left of goal.

"We came out very inspired in the second half," said UT head coach Angela Kelly. "We had a couple of changes that we needed to make. I'm a little disappointed in our performance in the first half. We still have to bring a consistent effort the entire game, but we still have a young team and it's still early in the season. We're just excited about the opportunities that lie ahead.

"When we come inspired and ready to play, we can compete with anyone in the country. I would like to see them play with that kind of inspiration for the full 90 minutes every time so that it becomes part of whom we are and not what just shows up sometimes. We're going to work on that."

For the match, Virginia held a 14-11 lead in shots, while the Lady Vols finished with a 7-4 advantage in corner kicks. UT was called offside on five occasions compared to three by the Cavaliers. Sophomore goalkeeper Jaimel Johnson (Dayton, Ohio) made four saves in her first career win.

View attachment 617669View attachment 617670View attachment 617671

Also Ali is only the Second Lady Soccer Vol to become a first team All American. There have been none since.

History of Tennessee soccer don’t.

Season 2007

Regal Soccer Stadium was officially completed for the start of the 2007 season. It became a fortress.
The Lady Vols were undefeated going 9-0 at home. They kept a clean sheet in 7 of the 9 home matches, and didn’t allow a single goal in their final 6 home games. The only other time Tennessee has gone undefeated at home was in 2021.

IMG_6065.jpegIMG_6063.jpegIMG_6064.jpeg

This is Kylee Rossi, she became Tennessee's all-time leading goal scorer with her overtime game winner against Clemson in the NCAA Tournament second round. She ended her career with 43 goals.
IMG_6069.jpeg

Jaida Thomas is sitting at 39 goals and only needs 5 to break Rossi’s record.

History of Tennessee soccer don’t.

Season 2007

Regal Soccer Stadium was officially completed for the start of the 2007 season. It became a fortress.
The Lady Vols were undefeated going 9-0 at home. They kept a clean sheet in 7 of the 9 home matches, and didn’t allow a single goal in their final 6 home games. The only other time Tennessee has gone undefeated at home was in 2021.

View attachment 617894View attachment 617895View attachment 617896

This is Kylee Rossi, she became Tennessee's all-time leading goal scorer with her overtime game winner against Clemson in the NCAA Tournament second round. She ended her career with 43 goals.
View attachment 617897

Jaida Thomas is sitting at 39 goals and only needs 5 to break Rossi’s record.
Will be fun to be on record watch next year with Jaida!

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD

VN Store

Back