10:00 Brandon Warren---Be Here

i agree hillbilly. everybody says this is fulmer best effort after our sorry season. who is to blame for our sorry season fulmer and for our medicore recruiting fulmer. it is hard to sell offensive recruits on a program that rated around 100TH in the nation in offense, and looked even worse than that. i put myself in some of these recruits shoes and ask myself would you come to tennessee and play for that offense and that coach a coach that refuses to see any thing is wrong. i bleed orange, but if it was my son i don't know if i could give hime my blessing. so imagine kids who like other teams and coming to see what tennessee has to offer. great university, academics great, sec championships 0 in 8 years no bowl games for 2 years, 5-6 record last year. we brought in our savior Cut even though nothing was wrong it was all execution. as i've said before it is hard to sell a program that looked that bad especially on the offensive side of the ball.

I think Cut will get it done AGAIN, but if I were an offensive side of the ball high school senior, I just might be a bit skeptical at this point.

Be that as it may, if the Tennessee kids don't want to come to play for the Vols, to heck with them. I say let them go wherever they want and then FORGET THEM!!!!!!!

We can't afford that attitiude surreal, unless you want UT to become the next Kentucky of SEC football. I'm not saying we have to get the #1 kid in the state every year but we are barely competitive at recruiting Memphis and that seems to be the most fertile area of the state for prospects every year.

If we can get a 10-win season or better this year then I think this will all be a minor blip on the radar but if we have another lackluster year the only thing that will get kids with potential NFL futures excited about coming here is a new HC.

(surrealvol @ Jan 31 said:
I think Cut will get it done AGAIN, but if I were an offensive side of the ball high school senior, I just might be a bit skeptical at this point.

Be that as it may, if the Tennessee kids don't want to come to play for the Vols, to heck with them. I say let them go wherever they want and then FORGET THEM!!!!!!!

I agree, If Tennessee kids want to go elsewhere BYE, CYA, Don't let the door hit ya.

With the few Tennessee kids that can actually make it a the D-1 level its not going to hurt UT at all

I've got to chime in here. A couple of posters have called this kid names and suggested that he "deserves a beating". . . .because he chose to move to "The Sunshine State" on full scholarship and play for one of the most successful and reputable programs in the country. That's absolutely embarassing to me as a Vol fan.

We are talking about 17/18 year-old kids making the most important decision of their young lives here. How many of you wanted to "get out of Dodge" when you finished high school? How many of you loved the beach? And the Florida girls?

Get a grip, and get real. The negative posters that have insulted a great local talent, who did the same thing that a lot of us would have done or HAVE done, need to realize that they are only HURTING the recruiting process. They make both my alma mater and its supporters look selfish, childish, and petty.

Good post KD. I am mad as heck at the coaching staff for not getting the job done but it is ridiculous to go off on some teenager about their college decision.

You guys who keep saying "to heck with all those TN high school players who don't sign with the VOLS", why don't you use a little common sense? UT wouldn't have enough scholarships for them all anyway. How silly and immature. Get a grip!!

The vols signed tons of big in-state players during the Majors era, and hardly any of them turned out to be any good. Tennessee is one of the weakest HS football states in the south (this is coming from a TN HS football player). Go watch a game in Georgia or Alabama, its amazing the calibur of football they play down there. My cousin plays in Atlanta, they look like college teams out there playing.

(smokedog#3 @ Jan 31 said:
i agree hillbilly. everybody says this is fulmer best effort after our sorry season. who is to blame for our sorry season fulmer and for our medicore recruiting fulmer. it is hard to sell offensive recruits on a program that rated around 100TH in the nation in offense, and looked even worse than that. i put myself in some of these recruits shoes and ask myself would you come to tennessee and play for that offense and that coach a coach that refuses to see any thing is wrong. i bleed orange, but if it was my son i don't know if i could give hime my blessing. so imagine kids who like other teams and coming to see what tennessee has to offer. great university, academics great, sec championships 0 in 8 years no bowl games for 2 years, 5-6 record last year. we brought in our savior Cut even though nothing was wrong it was all execution. as i've said before it is hard to sell a program that looked that bad especially on the offensive side of the ball.
The reason we aren't having such a good year recruiting, isn't because of last season.....Its because of the positions we'r recruiting.....So you can blame Fulmer for all this all you want, I along with several others still won't buy into your arguement

ok ainge i see your point to a certain degree. what if we would have landed patterson, whitehead, kia, smith, logan-el, rose, micah johnson, patterson and ellis. these are kids usually fulmer lands. instead of these elite players we are getting 3 star players. if we would have got half of these guys we would have been in the top 10 instead of 22. plus besides vinson we still didn't get a playmaker. these guys are all top 150 players its not the position it is the players we are getting. so i have to disagree.

(mattvols @ Jan 31 said:
The vols signed tons of big in-state players during the Majors era, and hardly any of them turned out to be any good. Tennessee is one of the weakest HS football states in the south (this is coming from a TN HS football player). Go watch a game in Georgia or Alabama, its amazing the calibur of football they play down there. My cousin plays in Atlanta, they look like college teams out there playing.

Agreed. Tennessee really doesn't have that good of a HS program as states like Alabama and Georgia. But still, Memphis is probably our #1 recruiting area in the state, and absolutly no one on the Vols staff goes there for recruiting. The University of Memphis is getting almost ALL the propsects from Memphis, Jackson and the West TN area. I wish they'd get something better going in-state.

But then again, places like Atlanta is closer to Knoxville than Memphis. Actually, alot of places are. Remember (I learned this in elementry school :biggrin2: ), Tennessee borders more states than any other in the US.

Atleast we get some big name prospect out of Chattanooga almost every year. This year its Jacques McClendon, last year it was Demonte Bolden, and acouple years ago Gerald Riggs Jr.

(smokedog#3 @ Jan 31 said:
ok ainge i see your point to a certain degree. what if we would have landed patterson, whitehead, kia, smith, logan-el, rose, micah johnson, patterson and ellis. these are kids usually fulmer lands. instead of these elite players we are getting 3 star players. if we would have got half of these guys we would have been in the top 10 instead of 22. plus besides vinson we still didn't get a playmaker. these guys are all top 150 players its not the position it is the players we are getting. so i have to disagree.
yeah but think about what kind of players those 3 star recruits have turned out to be for us in the past? I mean we're mostly recruiting OT's, DE's, and LB's......There aren't many classes gonna be in the top 10 recruiting players like that....there aren't many 4-5 star recruits at those positions...Like I said, if we were recruiting WR's, RB's, and QB's we'd be higher but we're not.....But remember, those 3 star recruits have turned out to be studs in the past

Foster was a 3* recruit and look at what hes doing, the ranking system doesnt mean much, its all about how they develop, some of the top players are done developing and wont get better.

VN Store

Back