'17 AL DE LaBryan Ray

Exactly what have you heard Golfer? More in it like "so you're saying there's a chance?" or More in it like we are in his top 2 or 3?

Exactly what have you heard Golfer? More in it like "so you're saying there's a chance?" or More in it like we are in his top 2 or 3?

Evidently he told a classmate that UT is in good shape. His classmate is a Bama fan too. Again I'm not holding my breath but found it interesting. It would be nice to get involved in that area because it's about to blowup.

Madison is about 15 minutes from the Tennessee state line. Almost as close to Knoxville as TTown. Lots of transplants in the area so the Bama pull isn't as strong as some other areas of the state.

Madison is a lot more than 15 mins from the state line of Tennessee....It is a little over 3 hours to knoxville from Madison

Evidently he told a classmate that UT is in good shape. His classmate is a Bama fan too. Again I'm not holding my breath but found it interesting. It would be nice to get involved in that area because it's about to blowup.

He's just punking us.

Has already been to UT twice and will make an official visit for one of our home games, per Ryan Callahan.

Ray was six when mother Angela passed away suddenly due to a blood clot in 2004 at age 38. His memories of her are few, but her legacy lives on in the way the 6-foot-4, 265-pound defensive end at James Clemens lives his life.

"He always wants to please her," said Ray's paternal grandmother, Joyce Crawford, last month at The Opening in Beaverton, Ore. "I ask him what's going on when he's out there on the field and the first thing he thinks about is, 'In my mind, I wish she could be here to see this.'"

We're all getting to see Ray's quick rise in the recruiting rankings as his major offer list shot up in the spring faster than you could pull up his four-star recruiting profile. Ray is now ranked No. 1 on the AL.com preseason A-List. His top six schools are Alabama, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Florida, Auburn and Ole Miss. He had just a few offers in January but now it's around 30.

A-List No. 1: Strong foundation shaped James Clemens' LaBryan Ray after early tragedy | AL.com

Reactions: 2 people
Has already been to UT twice and will make an official visit for one of our home games, per Ryan Callahan.

Ray was six when mother Angela passed away suddenly due to a blood clot in 2004 at age 38. His memories of her are few, but her legacy lives on in the way the 6-foot-4, 265-pound defensive end at James Clemens lives his life.

"He always wants to please her," said Ray's paternal grandmother, Joyce Crawford, last month at The Opening in Beaverton, Ore. "I ask him what's going on when he's out there on the field and the first thing he thinks about is, 'In my mind, I wish she could be here to see this.'"

We're all getting to see Ray's quick rise in the recruiting rankings as his major offer list shot up in the spring faster than you could pull up his four-star recruiting profile. Ray is now ranked No. 1 on the AL.com preseason A-List. His top six schools are Alabama, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Florida, Auburn and Ole Miss. He had just a few offers in January but now it's around 30.

A-List No. 1: Strong foundation shaped James Clemens' LaBryan Ray after early tragedy | AL.com

So safe to say he's Bama Bound.

He was impressed by his trip to Tennessee on Saturday for its 38-28 win over rival Florida, and he’s already planning to visit the Vols at least two more times leading up to National Signing Day.

“Obviously, it was a great game. UT battled back and found a way to win. It was definitely electric, definitely. I mean, before the game, just being out in tons and tons of people — crazy fans — and getting into the game, and the crowd and how it is and how loud it gets, it was great to see that.”

Ray released a list of his top six college choices in late July, naming Alabama, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Florida, Auburn and Ole Miss as his favorites. And he said again Sunday that Alabama, Tennessee and Florida are “definitely three” schools that will get official visits from him, although his other two visits remain up for grabs.

“I talk to the coaching staff, and I like them a lot,” Ray said. “I talk to them every day. And just seeing what Coach Jones is doing with that program. When he first started, they were kind of struggling, and just to see (from then) to now how he’s turned the program and put them back on top, it’s definitely something that I’ve noticed and I like. It shows that he’s a great coach.”
-Callahan

His entire interview is positive. He said he is in no hurry to commit.

Reactions: 14 people
Anyone know what the staff connection is we have with this kid? I have seen it hinted at before that we were in this more than people know because of some connection he has with our coaching staff

"Tennessee assistant OL coach Walt Wells recruited and coached his brother at Western Kentucky."

- Fortenberry

Reactions: 8 people
Making room has never been a problem with this staff. If they have a top tier prospect ready to commit, they'll find a spot for him.

Reactions: 1 person
"Tennessee assistant OL coach Walt Wells recruited and coached his brother at Western Kentucky."

- Fortenberry

I never caught the connection before! His brother is a RS Jr guard for WKU and has started for the past three years. He is very good.
Also, UT having Walt Wells as a quality control coach is outstanding. He is a very good OL coach.

Reactions: 1 person
Hubbs spoke with Ray...

"Ray, is a 4-star DE from Madison, Ala. He said he was told that Tennessee was someplace different before he came up for the Florida game and he said it was something special. Called it electric.

The games the last two weeks did leave an impression on him. Said with Tennessee what you know is that they are going to play the whole game and that they are mentally strong. Something you can easily see the last two weeks. Said rallying for the wins shows their commitment to each other and their ability to not get down when things aren't going well.

Will be at Florida-LSU next week. Hopes to be back in Knoxville for Alabama game. Official visits this winter will be for sure to Alabama, Florida, Tennessee and most likely Ole Miss."

Reactions: 4 people
“They are doing good,” the 6-4, 260 pound 4-star prospect said. “The thing about them is they play the whole game. I mean, they play for 60 minutes. You can tell they are mentally strong. They just keep pushing, even when things aren't going well. It's something you can easily see with them the last two weeks.”

Ray was in Athens, Ga. on Saturday to see the Vola' Hail Mary win and the week before he got his first experience with Neyland Stadium and the Vols.

“I heard that it would be something different,” Ray said. “It was more than I ever expected. There were a lot, a lot of people there. They came up and talked to me before I went into the stadium and then I got into the stadium and it was electric. It was something special to see.” As for the Hail Mary win, Ray was like many still trying to find the words to describe it. "I have never seen a game or a play like that,” Ray said. “After it happened I was just speechless.”

“It's a big deal because the win and playing the whole game shows their commitment to each other,” Ray said.

This week, Ray won't see the Vols, but he will see two SEC teams go at it as he makes his way to Gainesville to see Florida and LSU. After that his plan is to try and return to Knoxville the following week for the Alabama game saving his official visits until the winter. “I know after my season I'm going to take official visits to Alabama, Tennessee, Florida and probably Ole Miss. For me the decision is about my relationship with the coaches and the feel of the place. Am I a fit there on and off the field?”

-VQ

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back