'18 TN OL Tanner Antonutti (UT signee)

If Tanner could commit to UT he would. Kid and his family are huge UT fans. Vols like his upside and potential but want to see him play some true OT first. He's done well this summer to bounce back from several injuries (ankle, shoulder) he had last year. Like AP said, he's the next man up if Carvin ends up elsewhere, but could UT also decide it wants to take 4 OL? We'll see. Numbers are super tricky right now at OL, WR, LB and DB.

-Simonton

During his high school career, Ensworth prospect Tanner Antonutti has worked almost exclusively as a tight end on offense. But now at 270 pounds, SEC schools and other Power Five programs around the country see the 6-5, 270 pound prospect as an offensive tackle. Last week, LSU joined the rank of schools that have offered Antonutti a scholarship, and right now the mid-state native is just sorting through where things stand with each school.

“I'm not in a big hurry,” Antonutti said. “I'm just seeing how things are going with each schools. By the season, I should know where I'm going to be at.” Before going to LSU, Antonutti was in Knoxville for 'Orange Carpet Day' and says he's been feeling plenty of attention from Tennessee. “I'm feeling the love from them,” Antonutti said. “I have been talking to them more.

“Just bonding and getting to know all the commits and players more. It feels more like a family. That's part of what has made me like Tennessee so much, as well as the fact that I have been a Tennessee fan my whole life.”

Many of those the conversations with the Vols have been with offensive line coach Walt Wells. “It's really good,” Antonutti said of his relationship with Wells. “He grew up with my high school coach. I'm communicating with him every day. I don't have another bond with another coach like that.”

In addition to seeing Tennessee and LSU recently, Antonutti has also seen Mississippi State and is in frequent communication with Georgia Tech and Missouri.

Antonutti has been to Rocky Top his entire life and said he likes the way campus is changing. “The facilities for sure stand out. They are always working to improve here,” Antonutti said. “I want a small campus and also a place where not just I feel at home but my family does also.”

-VQ

Reactions: 2 people
it honestly sounds like he isn't a take for UT right now. which sucks on one hand but I don't mind on the other.

it honestly sounds like he isn't a take for UT right now. which sucks on one hand but I don't mind on the other.

Per VQ mods...He's next in line after Carvin. If Carvin goes elsewhere, Tanner is a Vol. If Carvin picks UT then if the coaches decide to take 4 OL, Tanner is a Vol.

Reactions: 1 person
Personally, I'd love to have a 270-280 lb tight end for the rotation. Mainly a blocker but with the ability to slip out for a pass occasionally. An added bonus if he develops into an even better OT!

Per VQ mods...He's next in line after Carvin. If Carvin goes elsewhere, Tanner is a Vol. If Carvin picks UT then if the coaches decide to take 4 OL, Tanner is a Vol.
I know numbers, numbers but I'm always good with them taking an extra lineman. If they think this kid is the next best talent after Carvin then I'd be comfortable taking him. Numbers be damned.

I know numbers, numbers but I'm always good with them taking an extra lineman. If they think this kid is the next best talent after Carvin then I'd be comfortable taking him. Numbers be damned.

I agree and I have a feeling they take him even if Carvin commits.

Give me Antonutti all day over a second LB, especially when I look at how awful the LB board looks. We are in on zero impact guys there. We do not need to be taking two undersized reach types at LB in the same class.

Reactions: 5 people
What if Faalele wants in?

Yes. Sort out numbers as NSD gets closer. If he wants to commit early and other programs want to wait and see what he looks like in a few games, then if I'm Butch, I take his commitment now. If he looks great, then Butch sells to him that we believed in him all along while other programs waited. If he looks meh, then ask him to look around.

Give me Antonutti all day over a second LB, especially when I look at how awful the LB board looks. We are in on zero impact guys there. We do not need to be taking two undersized reach types at LB in the same class.

I'm hoping the kid from LA (Coleman) coming in this year finds his way from the RB drills to LB drills, looks better at LB than RB imo...

Ensworth product Tanner Antonutti has seen his stock rise lately (including an LSU offer) and Tennessee is seriously considering whether to add the in-state athlete as a 4th OL this summer. Another name to watch is IMG’s Daniel Faalele. The massive (6-foot-8, 400-pounds) Australian has visited Tennessee twice and could be a secondary option as a 4th OL. Communication with Faalele has been hit or miss, though, and there’s some debate about whether Antonutti or Faalele would be a better target as a 4th OL in the class.

-VQ

That should be a no brainer. If you want to take a project with a massive ceiling it's Faalele for sure. The guy is a complete freak athletically at his size and proved it during spring football at IMG. Plus, getting an in into that school would be huge for Tennessee.

That should be a no brainer. If you want to take a project with a massive ceiling it's Faalele for sure. The guy is a complete freak athletically at his size and proved it during spring football at IMG. Plus, getting an in into that school would be huge for Tennessee.

I wish we would take him now, if he really wants to commit early. I am hoping this might be the case, since there have been one or two crystal balls in the last day or two for us.

I wish we would take him now, if he really wants to commit early. I am hoping this might be the case, since there have been one or two crystal balls in the last day or two for us.

I agree. We'll need to move now if we want to land him and have him shut things down. I have no doubt he's going to have a monster senior year after the way he looked in the spring and it'll be a lot harder as time goes on.

could we not take both - looks like one of them also plays TE/DE

I agree. We'll need to move now if we want to land him and have him shut things down. I have no doubt he's going to have a monster senior year after the way he looked in the spring and it'll be a lot harder as time goes on.

It will be a lot easier to fend off Alabama and those type of programs, if we take his commitment early. It is easy to sell that they did not believe in him until seeing him play in games as a senior. Butch can sell to him all day long that we believed in him without seeing game film.

It will be a lot easier to fend off Alabama and those type of programs, if we take his commitment early. It is easy to sell that they did not believe in him until seeing him play in games as a senior. Butch can sell to him all day long that we believed in him without seeing game film.

That doesn't seem to work for us very often.

could we not take both - looks like one of them also plays TE/DE

Imo I wait for carvin to make his mind up in next two weeks and then take The kid from IMG. But definitely take both of them if they want on board.

And if we get one of carvin and the IMG guy, take Tanner.

4 OL imo is perfect

VN Store

Back