'18 TN OL Tanner Antonutti (UT signee)

This year's rule changes. The exact wording of the rules hasn't been released, but they hinted that greyshirting and blueshirting may be out the window.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...overhauling-college-football-recruiting-rules

"Also bundled in the proposal is the limitation of annual scholarships to 25. This is a move to do away with oversigning and to reduce the practice of grayshirting, a tactic by which schools delay the enrollment of a prospect until the following January so his signing would technically count as part of the next class.

The legislation limits to 25 the number of prospects whose aid is initially offered in the fall term of an academic year. Before, rules limited to 25 the number of prospects allowed to sign from Dec. 1 through May 31. This portion of the changes will affect newcomers in the 2018 signing class."

Would this also do away with backcounting early entollees?

Would this also do away with backcounting early entollees?

Looks like it. Red Font removed from original rule.

"13.9.2.3.1 Exception -- Counter During Same Academic Year Application. A prospective student-athlete who signs a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid and becomes an initial counter for the same academic year in which the signing occurred (e.g., midyear enrollee) or a student-athlete who signs a financial aid agreement that specifies financial aid will be initially provided in the fall term of an academic year shall not count toward the annual limit on signings for that academic year."

And based on this,

'A prospective student-athlete who signs a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid or a student-athlete who signs a financial aid agreement that specifies financial aid will be initially provided during the second or third term of the academic year may count toward the limit for that academic year or the limit for the next academic year."

it looks like grey-shirting will still be allowed. Just blue-shirting and back-counting are out.

Looks like it. Red Font removed from original rule.

"13.9.2.3.1 Exception -- Counter During Same Academic Year Application. A prospective student-athlete who signs a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid and becomes an initial counter for the same academic year in which the signing occurred (e.g., midyear enrollee) or a student-athlete who signs a financial aid agreement that specifies financial aid will be initially provided in the fall term of an academic year shall not count toward the annual limit on signings for that academic year."

And based on this,

'A prospective student-athlete who signs a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid or a student-athlete who signs a financial aid agreement that specifies financial aid will be initially provided during the second or third term of the academic year may count toward the limit for that academic year or the limit for the next academic year."

it looks like grey-shirting will still be allowed. Just blue-shirting and back-counting are out.

Man that's crazy. I can see closing the blue shirt loophole, but backcounting is a pretty vital strategy to teams that need to rebuild.

Reactions: 1 person
based on what exactly? just curious? lots of schools have been backing off faleele from what ive seen.

I understand that. I think he is a really good athlete and has tremendous size. Those things you can not teach. The areas he is lacking seem to be footwork, strength and technique. Those things you can teach. I'm not saying he is a sure fire thing but I do believe with the the right coaching and if he can lose a little weight he could be special. Could be like Johnathen Ogden who was 6'9 345 or like Dan Skipper from Arkansas. Or could be the next Dontacious Blair. I just feel like if you are going to take a project, and Tanner is one as well, take the bigger kid lol.

based on what exactly? just curious? lots of schools have been backing off faleele from what ive seen.

I think the ceiling for this guy is higher than almost any lineman we are looking at in this class. He has played TE his whole career and is a great athlete. I think of him as a larger Marcus Tatum coming out of HS. He can play LT one day.

Yeah, I think with the new rules on the 25 limit you won't see near as many risks taken. When you could sign 30 w/ some blue shirts you could afford a few busts.

Per Hubbs
After months of initially thinking it would only take three offensive lineman, there was a strong belief last week — and into this week — that Tennessee appeared set to add four linemen in this class. Ensworth product Tanner Antonutti will be in Cookeville later today to scrimmage Maryville at Tennessee Tech. After that, Tanner will head up to Knoxville and spend Saturday on campus. We expect Tennessee to make a strong push for him while he is here. With that said, the debate has continued, and now, it's unclear at this point if the number of offensive lineman in this class will be three or four. The Vols will continue to recruit Carvin, but it will make things interesting with Antonutti likely headed toward orange — and not LSU’s purple — sooner rather than later

Reactions: 7 people
We are recruiting him as an OL which likely means Carvin is out of the running if Antonutti commits correct?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back