'18 TN OL Tanner Antonutti (UT signee)

Agreed. I also think "pro style" is spread at this point in football history. Just like how pro style used to mean single wing. Now it's another word for spread. Because that what pro football has become.

Yep. Pro style as people like to think of it doesn't really exist anymore as a base system. It's more situational.

Somewhat related. It's really cool watching Stanford use a 4 point stance on short yardage.

I can't twist your words because you haven't provided any. What is your definition of "power football"?

Bigger question is why this extensive peeing contest is in TAs thread. Did they run you out of the football forum where this drivel is usually found?

One of my issues with the phrase "power football" is people are using it to define Alabama, while also saying you have to be under center and you can't be a zone team.

Bama has been a zone team since Saban arrived and has the last two years they are in the pistol or gun a lot more than they are under center.

Here's every play they ran in 2016. You can tell they're a zone team because you will almost never seen an offensive lineman pull.

Alabama Offense 2016- All plays, Evolution of Lane Kiffin and Jalen Hurts - YouTube

So I find it odd that we hire a Bama coach and everyone says "we are going to be a power team now". Why? Alabama isn't.

So what does Tanner Antonutti think power football is? I mean, it is his thread.

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone want to guess how many times Bama went under center against auburn this season?

0 times. Alabama never went under center the entire game.

Auburn Defense vs Alabama Offense 2017 - YouTube

My issue is that many have these false notions about Bama. "They're a power team". Actually they mainly run zone. "They run from under center". Actually, some games they don't even go under center.

I will say though, they ran more power and counter in this game than I've ever seen them run and less zone

If you think Bama is some finesse team then you should give up. You don't have to be under center to be power football.

If you think Bama is some finesse team then you should give up. You don't have to be under center to be power football.

That's been the point of this. No one seems to have a definition of "power". Sand dune said UT wasn't a "power" team because we ran zone and played in the gun.

Bama also runs zone and plays in the gun.

Power Football is not just pro style but concerns power runs and counters where you typically have a lead back such as a fullback who leads and the runner attacks the hole and it is what a lot of us say about a runner who runs downhill. He hits the hole hard. Very important to have it as a part of your offense. Butch almos never used it if at all and is another reason his O sucked. His O was called a high school offense but most high schools actually have power plays so his O isn’t even that good.

Power Football is not just pro style but concerns power runs and counters where you typically have a lead back such as a fullback who leads and the runner attacks the hole and it is what a lot of us say about a runner who runs downhill. He hits the hole hard. Very important to have it as a part of your offense. Butch almos never used it if at all and is another reason his O sucked. His O was called a high school offense but most high schools actually have power plays so his O isn’t even that good.

By your definition you're now calling Bama and countless other zone teams "high school offenses". USC was also a zone team. Most likely we will be a zone team next year.

And yes, we did run power and counter under Mike Debord maybe more than zone

Edit: Probably not more than zone

Last edited:
Let’s talk about dual threat versus pro style now, but make sure to use a passive aggressive bait style question to make people feel inferior so we can feel superior. Love doing that on the internets

By your definition you're now calling Bama and countless other zone teams "high school offenses". USC was also a zone team. Most likely we will be a zone team next year.

And yes, we did run power and counter under Mike Debord maybe more than zone

We rarely had a lead back which is pure power and when we had two they were split. The high school reference was in regards to just the pure power concept being used in high schools and not a reference to anything but Butch. Your lack of comprehension either means you are a dumb azz or just wanting to argue. You are not getting a college coaching job and probably been fired from your high school job. I never said Bama was a high school offense but what Butch had was not even close to the true definition of power runs. I thought you were trying to actually discuss football but you are just a piss ant.

We rarely had a lead back which is pure power and when we had two they were split. The high school reference was in regards to just the pure power concept being used in high schools and not a reference to anything but Butch. Your lack of comprehension either means you are a dumb azz or just wanting to argue. You are not getting a college coaching job and probably been fired from your high school job. I never said Bama was a high school offense but what Butch had was not even close to the true definition of power runs. I thought you were trying to actually discuss football but you are just a piss ant.

Depends on your definition of a lead back. We used our TEs like FBs a lot. Here are some pictures of us running power against Iowa

Attachments

• IMG_7264.jpg
    IMG_7264.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7265.jpg
    IMG_7265.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 4
Let’s talk about dual threat versus pro style now, but make sure to use a passive aggressive bait style question to make people feel inferior so we can feel superior. Love doing that on the internets

Someone said "we will be a power team" and I asked what they meant. Is that so terrible?

Bama is a zone team that plays from the gun. So I want to know what their definition of "power" is.

Depends on your definition of a lead back. We used our TEs like FBs a lot. Here are some pictures of us running power against Iowa

Edited because I missed that this clip was against Iowa. DeBord lobbied to incorporate a mix of offset I into the scheme. Would have maximized the production of Hurd AND Kamara imo. Could have used the same personnel going back and forth and that would have prevented D’s from teeing off on Hurd running sideways. I think DeBord “retired” due to Butch’s stubbornness.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

That I can agree with. H back and tight end leads but most of butches O without Deboard wrinkles does not have the runner attacking downhill. Your line pushing guys downhill. Debord and Butch clashed on this a lot IMO.

Got Butchna

let it go.....most fans generally speaking are not students of the game, players or former coaches, so most of the commentary is eye test related only....or what they've picked up by listening to analysts on TV/Radio or reading about. i would say the vast majority of fans have never sat thru a film session breaking down gap/zone concepts.

and Power football for most probably means simply being more physical at the point of attack. i doubt seriously everyone that's made a comment on it understands gap/zone concepts and what differences are.

so you do, i guess, and you're using this as a pulpit to show off how smart you think you are because you have some idea of what concepts and formations are, and can recognize them regardless of who's running it.

i'm no expert, but i have a grasp of the basics, and understand, generally, what you're talking about. but "power" football to most is just about physicality at the point of attack on the line of scrimmage vs creating space thru the motions and sweep action trying to move defenders out of a spot pre snap.

that you don't agree, or like that people may see it that way, doesn't change that's how they view the difference. and if you feel smarter because you know the difference....then....good for you.

it's hardly something that should annoy you to the point where you spend 2 days ranting about it.

Edited because I missed that this clip was against Iowa. DeBord lobbied to incorporate a mix of offset I into the scheme. Would have maximized the production of Hurd AND Kamara imo. Could have used the same personnel going back and forth and that would have prevented D’s from teeing off on Hurd running sideways. I think DeBord “retired” due to Butch’s stubbornness.

The way I viewed his offense was offset I from the gun. We used the TE more like a FB. He was almost always in the backfield.

Would've been nice to keep Debord. Play calling this year was uncreative.

I'll go back and watch some of 2016. I thought we kept it in. I know 100% we ran power read.

I consider Ohio State’s offense a true power spread. I felt Coach Jake left because Butch wanted to go that direction. Hang up was our OL’s olè blocking scheme. Just big bodies getting in the way.

I consider Ohio State’s offense a true power spread. I felt Coach Jake left because Butch wanted to go that direction. Hang up was our OL’s olè blocking scheme. Just big bodies getting in the way.

agreed

Injuries played a big role in that, but yeah would've been nice to get more from the oline. If you like what Ohio St does, watch some Auburn and Clemson film. A lot of power and counter from the gun. Even some old school Buck sweep

VN Store

Back