'18 TN OL Tanner Antonutti (UT signee)

The way I viewed his offense was offset I from the gun. We used the TE more like a FB. He was almost always in the backfield.

Would've been nice to keep Debord. Play calling this year was uncreative.

There was little to no downhill running tho. If Hurd got to the line of scrimmage he could get productive yards but hard to do that with the delay handoff and running sideways. Kamara and Kelly were built more for the quick start and go, but would have been even more explosive beating defenders to the los. I kept thinking there was more that just wasn’t being executed but it was a flawed system and good DC’s exploited it’s weaknesses.

Injuries played a big role in that, but yeah would've been nice to get more from the oline. If you like what Ohio St does, watch some Auburn and Clemson film. A lot of power and counter from the gun. Even some old school Buck sweep

agreed. i would say all three of those offenses were more physical up front than we were, even though many of the concepts were similar.

you look at our run game, and it felt like every time we tried to go between the tackles the ball carrier was contacted at the LOS. rarely got to the 2nd, 3rd level with a head of steam.

The way I viewed his offense was offset I from the gun. We used the TE more like a FB. He was almost always in the backfield.

Would've been nice to keep Debord. Play calling this year was uncreative.

Exactly and this year you got full butch offense. Power and counter runs are more than just a lead back.

Hitting the hole and running downhill is what most posters think of with power run and the sideways crap was just not it. Agree with everything being posted and this is a football discussion. Good talk guys. Time to work.

There was little to no downhill running tho. If Hurd got to the line of scrimmage he could get productive yards but hard to do that with the delay handoff and running sideways. Kamara and Kelly were built more for the quick start and go, but would have been even more explosive beating defenders to the los. I kept thinking there was more that just wasn’t being executed but it was a flawed system and good DC’s exploited it’s weaknesses.

agreed. no push, and didn't seal the edge, couldn't turn the corner. Kamara was great cause he could cut and go, and he's shifty in traffic. Hurd would have been much better off with a different offensive line philosophy to run behind. he got "dirty" yards.

I'd never be able to find the stat again, but I remember seeing that Hurd averaged something like a yard more per carry out of shotgun as opposed to behind a QB under center.

I'd never be able to find the stat again, but I remember seeing that Hurd averaged something like a yard more per carry out of shotgun as opposed to behind a QB under center.

How many of the latter were there for comparison?

Never understood the love affair with under center. Also inside zone is far more downhill than power or counter. Both of those are off tackle as opposed to inside runs

Reactions: 1 person

yeah_science_breaking_bad.gif

Outside of option teams:

Is there an elite running team that primarily runs plays from under center? I can't name a single one.

Outside of option teams:

Is there an elite running team that primarily runs plays from under center? I can't name a single one.

i don't think there's one either. the big gripe here was the elimination of it all together.

full backs have all but gone the way of the dodo bird too. i nearly fell out of my chair back when the Steelers played the Chiefs and the inserted Nix and ran behind him for an entire series.

it was a beautiful thing to watch though.

GA will use a full back at times. and Bama has their "heavy" packages, but that's still not a traditional full back, and only situationally based....

as you've said previously, you see a lot more of the H back/TE's in the backfield, off set or even dual TE's behind the los. get around the corner quicker to seal or pull inside and get to the next level, or pass protect.

offensive football today is run out of the shotgun primarily, and being under center is just part of certain packages it seems. even in the NFL, there's not a ton of "primarily under center" teams. but most all have it installed in some way shape or form....

that's another aspect of that "power" football definition that alludes, is in regards to situational football. the ability to run when you have to. short yardage, goal line situations....it just looks funny to need a yard or 2, and start the action 5+ yards behind the LOS. that doesn't scream "physical" or "power" to the naked eye.

Depending on your definition of "fullback" the position is alive and well. But most people call it a TE or H-back now. But you'll see Bama, Auburn, Clemson, and Ohio St (most all spread run teams) use a TE in the backfield in what is essentially I formation from the gun.

Depending on your definition of "fullback" the position is alive and well. But most people call it a TE or H-back now. But you'll see Bama, Auburn, Clemson, and Ohio St (most all spread run teams) use a TE in the backfield in what is essentially I formation from the gun.

I clearly don't know as much about football as you, but the fullback position is not "alive and well," nor could it be "alive and well" if you are filling that role with halfbacks and TEs. I can't name a single dedicated fullback playing right now and am pretty sure the last good one we had was Will Bartholomew.

I clearly don't know as much about football as you, but the fullback position is not "alive and well," nor could it be "alive and well" if you are filling that role with halfbacks and TEs. I can't name a single dedicated fullback playing right now and am pretty sure the last good one we had was Will Bartholomew.

Delaney Walker 6'0. They just changed the name of the position.

I consider Ohio State’s offense a true power spread. I felt Coach Jake left because Butch wanted to go that direction. Hang up was our OL’s olè blocking scheme. Just big bodies getting in the way.

Butch didn't know wtf he wanted to do. First he wanted to Oregon a East. Then he and Jake fight over that because he thought we needed to run Ohio st type power spread run schemes. He wanted to be power but he didn't recruit to it in the OL. Made no sense. Recruited small OL for the old system trying to teach them the new one

That's been the point of this. No one seems to have a definition of "power". Sand dune said UT wasn't a "power" team because we ran zone and played in the gun.

Bama also runs zone and plays in the gun.

Power team is lining up and being able to force your will on someone. Pushing people around man on man. Pruitt is basically saying he wants bigger bodies on both lines and will dictate the lines of scrimmage. He isn't going to get cute. Your going to maybe know what's coming but you can't stop it mentatlity. That's what it is. It's a physical and mental. Has nothing to do with under center or in shotgun with or without a fullback.

Seriously. Anything new?

What is new is that exactly what needs to happen is finally happening. The masses have moved on and a kid that made a mistake is now able to put his nose down, work hard, and move on. Oh but by all means let's ramp up all the ridiculousness again. That would be great 👍

Reactions: 3 people
What is new is that exactly what needs to happen is finally happening. The masses have moved on and a kid that made a mistake is now able to put his nose down, work hard, and move on. Oh but by all means let's ramp up all the ridiculousness again. That would be great 👍

I'm pretty sure he's asking whether or not Antonutti made it on campus or not

We doing this again?

Can Tanner play the 5 on the basketball court? If not, don’t want!

giphy.gif

VN Store

Back