1985 Auburn game

VolunteerHillbilly

Spike Drinks, Not Trees
Was anyone there? I was not, but I was just reading about it. I guess that victory kind of got buried in time by the '86 Sugar Bowl victory.

I was there, but I don't think it got burried. We did wind up with the SI coverboy after the game.

Anyone have any details on this game? Must have been a good one.
All I know is Auburn was #1 in the country. UT held Heisman winner Bo Jackson to 80 rushing yards. The Vols led 28-0 at halftime and won it 38-20. In Jackson's prior two games he rushed for 495 yards.

I was there. I was in on leave and the Mayfields gave me some prime tickets!

I was there. Auburn couldn't cover UT's receivers and once the Vols got the lead, they really wratcheted up the defense. The game was over in the middle of the second quarter.

i hope we can do this to auburn the next time we play them. don't we start playing them again next year (08-09)

I was there. Auburn couldn't cover UT's receivers and once the Vols got the lead, they really wratcheted up the defense. The game was over in the middle of the second quarter.

Sounds like what we did to Cal ('06). Would you say it was a similar game?

All I know is Auburn was #1 in the country. UT held Heisman winner Bo Jackson to 80 rushing yards. The Vols led 28-0 at halftime and won it 38-20. In Jackson's prior two games he rushed for 495 yards.

That's an impressive, even then, I imagine holding Jackson to under 100 was a respective feat.

I'm really yearning for a big-time victory more than ever now, it seems it's been too long. The UGA game was huge, but I'm greedy, we need to pull off a big-time Victory this year against a high quality opponent (Florida, you first)

I was there. Tony Robinson did whatever he wanted in the first half of that game, and the Vols' defense made Jackson look like a second-stringer. I couldn't talk for a couple of days afterwards.

The feeling must have been nice. I sigh in the thought that we are reeling closer and closer to mediocrity (despite our recent income of talent). I believe these next 2 years will state a lot for the program's general direction. Anyone else agree? My thoughts seem a bit skewed today.

Yes, I remember that Auburn game. The Vols followed that up with a last second 2-point win over Wake Forest.:eek:hmy:

In result, yes. However, Auburn was a much, much better opponent than Cal.

I wonder what happened to the goal posts?

I remember that the crossbar hung over the bar at the Last Lap for quite a long time.

I have heard that it may be in the back room at OCI.

Anybody know?

It should be sold on Ebay, wherever it is. FedEx ground can handle the shipping, right? Imagine the delivery. :happy:

Yes, I remember that Auburn game. The Vols followed that up with a last second 2-point win over Wake Forest.:eek:hmy:

That was the first game I ever attended at Neyland. I was 14 and my brother was a student then. I got in on one of his friend's ID by flashing it and having the picture covered by my thumb. It was a simplier time.

I wonder what happened to the goal posts?

I remember that the crossbar hung over the bar at the Last Lap for quite a long time.

I have heard that it may be in the back room at OCI.

Anybody know?
I believe the partial goal post at the OCI came from the '82 Alabama game.

I was there, but I don't think it got burried. We did wind up with the SI coverboy after the game.

Yeah, I definitely don't think it was "buried." Plenty of UT fans that attended that game remember it was one of their favorites.

That was my first UT game. I do not remember Bo playing in the second half. I was on the field after the game. My blood has run orange ever since.

VN Store

Back