1985 Auburn game

I was also there. It was my second year with season tickets. It was an amazing game. I also have it on DVD.........i copied it from my old tape. Dale Jones was on fire!

The 85 season is one of my fondest memories, except for the loss to Florida and the tie with Georgia Tech. I thought we had lost the Tech game. I was leaving.....walking to my car.......when Carlos Reveiz kicked the tying field goal.

The season wasn't that great till the second half when Dickey took over and the team really pulled together. It was amazing what we did after the Bama game. The best part of the season was the Vandy game when we knew we were going to the Sugar Bowl as SEC champs! That was special. It had been a long time.

Does anyone else realize that we shut out both Kentucky and Vandy at the end of the year? We were ready for Miami.:dance2: :dance2: :dance2:
I believe beating number 1 Auburn and Alabama with T Rob was pretty good. All Dickey did was beat the back end of the schedule to get to the Sugar Bowl.

Where McAllister's is now.

McAllister's, Moe's, and Panera Bread should be bulldozed and replaced with something of character. Bars preferably, and Moe's of course should go back to being Sam and Andy's, not a market for mediocre burritos that make you feel like you ate a brick. Starbuck's also should go.

I believe beating number 1 Auburn and Alabama with T Rob was pretty good. All Dickey did was beat the back end of the schedule to get to the Sugar Bowl.

You had to love that pre-1992 Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vandy "gauntlet" at the end of each season.

McAllister's, Moe's, and Panera Bread should be bulldozed and replaced with something of character. Bars preferably, and Moe's of course should go back to being Sam and Andy's, not a market for mediocre burritos that make you feel like you ate a brick. Starbuck's also should go.

Oh, Sam and Andy's! What I wouldn't give for a Roast Beef sammich au jus...

I have heard tell that the Longbranch is now another cookie-cutter establishment. Can any locals verify?

At least Gus rebuilt after the fire. That, OCI, Vic & Bill's, and the Copper Cellar are what's left from my day. I know V&B is off the strip, but they still got great drunk food.

No, I have never hung out at the Carousel, but I have seen the freakshow pour out of there after last call.

You had to love that pre-1992 Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vandy "gauntlet" at the end of each season.
i forget what year, maybe 90 or 91, when Ole Miss actually had a really good team and TN and Ole Miss played at the liberty bowl in Memphis, with an SEC title still on the line........Ole Miss fans were great that day. throwing sugar cubes on the field, only to lose and watch us win the game and go on to the SEC title.....was that 90 when we played UVA inthe Sugar Bowl? i think Ole Miss went to the Gator bowl or something like that......

I know V&B is off the strip, but they still got great drunk food./QUOTE]

I am sorry to report that last year Vic & Bill's became something called "The Campus Deli." I didn't go in, so I can't report on how different it is, but it was a shock to see the sign changed. I guess Bill just couldn't do it any longer.

Certainly my favorite drunk food ever. "Hey my boy! What can I do for you?"

i forget what year, maybe 90 or 91, when Ole Miss actually had a really good team and TN and Ole Miss played at the liberty bowl in Memphis, with an SEC title still on the line........Ole Miss fans were great that day. throwing sugar cubes on the field, only to lose and watch us win the game and go on to the SEC title.....was that 90 when we played UVA inthe Sugar Bowl? i think Ole Miss went to the Gator bowl or something like that......

Michigan destroyed Ole Miss in that Gator Bowl.

A pretty easy stretch to be sure... but I didn't like it because while other programs were playing big meaningful games (Michigan / OSU, Auburn / Alabama, Texas / TAMU, etc.) with national airtime, we were playing games no one cared about...

I know V&B is off the strip, but they still got great drunk food.

I am sorry to report that last year Vic & Bill's became something called "The Campus Deli." I didn't go in, so I can't report on how different it is, but it was a shock to see the sign changed. I guess Bill just couldn't do it any longer.

Certainly my favorite drunk food ever. "Hey my boy! What can I do for you?"[/quote]

Oh, now I'm gettin' misty... :cray:

I wonder if they have any clue how to make a Volburger with cheese anymore.

I was there...one of 4 games all-time I've seen at Neyland. It was a great one - Auburn was ranked either 2nd or 1st as I recall, and I believe the final was 38-20 if no one has googled it? Just as memorable, I attended with my best friend from grade school, Glenn Thackston, and his family. Glenn was one of the biggest Vol fans ever as a kid, I would guess. Anyway, he is now Executive Producer of the Vol Radio Network show, working with Host Communications. :rock:

I know V&B is off the strip, but they still got great drunk food./QUOTE]

Say it ain't so! Add to the disappointment of the ~decade long decline of the strip...

I am presently transferring my old VHS games to DVD. The 1985 Auburn game is one of the many I am going to transfer. Would anyone be interested in this game or any others? If so, I will make copies and post when I have them available.

right here!! i've never seen it but my dad always talks about it

It was Donahue . . . and no, we don't have any coaches still around from that staff . . . except for the guy who was coaching the Offensive Line and his name escapes me. :whistling:

during the 86 sugar bowl the d-backs coach was ron zook

Ahhh...Memory Lane.....

Like the '79 (?) game against Notre Dame, in Knoxville. Me working at the brand-new Red Lobster on Merchants Road. Evening shift. Boss (who was a UT alum) pulls up in back parking lot; get out of his car with a nearly empty bottle of Jack Daniels in his hand; and starts yelling "40 to 18 baby...WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!".

Funnest shift I ever worked.

Go Vols.

Ahhh...Memory Lane.....

Like the '79 (?) game against Notre Dame, in Knoxville. Me working at the brand-new Red Lobster on Merchants Road. Evening shift. Boss (who was a UT alum) pulls up in back parking lot; get out of his car with a nearly empty bottle of Jack Daniels in his hand; and starts yelling "40 to 18 baby...WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!".

Funnest shift I ever worked.

Go Vols.

No...it was '78, wasn't it?

It is unfortunate what Cornelius Bennett did to him. He probably could have gone pro.

Well, there's an understatement. He was the Heisman front runner after that game. He was busted for drugs after the season ended and went to jail, so he couldn't be drafted. He came back during the 1987 strike year and was the starting QB for the Skins during the strike. He led the NFL in passer rating at the time the strike ended. Joe Gibbs was going to keep TRob as his starter, but Nancy Reagan, in the midst of her war on drugs campaign said that the leader of the nation's capitol team could not be a convicted drug user. So they let him go and he sank into drugs again.

No doubt he could've been an NFL QB. He could've been an NFL HOFer. He was a skinnier Vince Young, but with a better arm. Ironically, the Skins won the Super Bowl that year with Doug Williams, the man who would've backed up Tony Robinson, becoming the first black QB to win a Super Bowl. Could've been T-Rob.

Most people think that Peyton Manning is easily the best QB to ever play for Tennessee. Call me crazy, but I disagree.

That Auburn game in 1985 was one of the loudest day games ever at Neyland. And the performance by T-Rob was one of the best ever by a Vol. He was magical that day.

VN Store

Back