1985 Auburn game

I don't recall it had to be one or the other but as I was reading that post I was thinking that if we still have defensive coaches around from those days..........

It was Donahue . . . and no, we don't have any coaches still around from that staff . . . except for the guy who was coaching the Offensive Line and his name escapes me. :whistling:

I have the UCLA, Auburn, vandy game from the regular season on tv.

The Auburn game was special to me. Being on National television was special then because they did not have the expanded coverage of all games during that time and if u saw it on ABC the whole nation pretty much saw that game.

Keith jackson was giving a little bio on Tony Robinson saying that he was from Tallahassee and paraphrasing, "tallahassee?!, Bobby Bowden, what were u thinking?"

on the game:

Pat Dye went through 3 qb's during the game to muster some offense, Pat Washington included. Nothing worked agaisnt the vols. auburn was a running oriented team that could not come from behind. Auburn was not a great team that year. They finished 8-4.

It is unfortunate what Cornelius Bennett did to him. He probably could have gone pro.

IIRC he started for somebody in the NFL during the strike year. He had some unfortunate issues with illicit substances that purportedly resulted or worsened significantly while rehabbing from the knee injury.

Robinson was a replacement player for the Redskins during the strike while he was out of prison on a work-release. There's no telling what kind of a career he could have had if it hadn't been for the injury and the drug problem. It's a shame.

I am presently transferring my old VHS games to DVD. The 1985 Auburn game is one of the many I am going to transfer. Would anyone be interested in this game or any others? If so, I will make copies and post when I have them available.
I would LOVE to have a copy of the 85 Auburn game!

IIRC he started for somebody in the NFL during the strike year. He had some unfortunate issues with illicit substances that purportedly resulted or worsened significantly while rehabbing from the knee injury.

Robinson was a replacement player for the Redskins during the strike while he was out of prison on a work-release. There's no telling what kind of a career he could have had if it hadn't been for the injury and the drug problem. It's a shame.

That's what I was trying to say:dance:

Former UT coach Walt Harris, who went on to coach with the New York Jets and the University of Pittsburgh, told the Washington Post last fall that Robinson was the best quarterback he ever coached, with Hall of Fame potential.

I'm willing to do a b&p trade like many of us did last year. I owe a thanks to MyBloodRunnethOrange for sending me a bunch of DVD's last September. I'm looking for some of the games that have worn out through wear and tear, especially the '90 Florida game, if anyone has it. Please PM me if you want to trade.

When I was a student, I would just call Link Hudson and he'd give me a bunch of old games for free. If you're a student, call Link and see if he still does that.

notable coaches on that staff in 85:

Ken Donohue - Defensive Coordinator
Walt Harris - Offensive Coordinator
Kippy Brown - Assistant Coach
David Cutcliffe - Assistant Coach
Phillip Fulmer - Assistant Coach
Doug Matthews - Assistant Coach
Ron Zook - Assistant Coach

i was not there, but i remember it well.....that was a great game.

pop quiz: anybody know where the goal post cross bar wound up after that game?

follow up: where is it now? (i don't know this one).

I could swear that a post from the '85 Auburn game was over the bar at the Last Lap (now the takeout counter at Buffalo Wild Wings on the Strip).

Sad how much the establishments on the strip have changed...

"C'mon Pookie, let's burn this mutha-effer down!"

You are correct. The Strip is now a wasteland. I was really looking forward to hitting up some of these places as an alumnus with bucks to spend. I feel like by the time I have said bucks, there won't be much left.

You are correct. The Strip is now a wasteland. I was really looking forward to hitting up some of these places as an alumnus with bucks to spend. I feel like by the time I have said bucks, there won't be much left.

I am not sure that there is a single establishment other than OCI on the strip that was there when I was an undergrad. The Longbranch is still there, I suppose, but in its "new" location. (They moved when I was in school.) Everything else is different.

(I realize that the Library sucked. For all its longevity, the Lap sucked too. Etc. But that's all we had in those days, so it would be nice to go in there when I wasn't huddled in a corner counting out the dollar bills to see what I could afford.)

Some of you may recall Tim Kerin (sp?) who was the athletic trainer for Majors at Pitt and UT. I believe he passed away in August of 1992. I spoke with him in the summer of 92 and he said that Robinson had the most talent of any QB he had ever seen. He pointed out that included Dan Marino and Joe Montana who while in high school attended Pitt's football camps. I hate to see talent wasted like that. Unfortunately those stories are a dime a dozen.

I could swear that a post from the '85 Auburn game was over the bar at the Last Lap (now the takeout counter at Buffalo Wild Wings on the Strip).

"C'mon Pookie, let's burn this mutha-effer down!"
You would be correct sir.:thumbsup:

Man OCI is amazing. Copper Cellar is pretty good too.

I don't know how I forgot about Copper Cellar. They used to have a happy hour with $1 Long Island Iced Teas on Friday afternoons; it was so packed that when the waitress finally came around everyone at the table would have to order three or four apiece to hold them until she came back. Good times.

The original Ruby Tuesday's used to have a happy hour starting at midnight on Saturday's...I loved it so.

Playing pool at Yosemite Sam's was always a great alternative to class.

My favorite hole in the wall was the Cumberland Tap Room. Many nights of pinball, pilsner and pong.

Hawkeye's was my favorite......animal hour.....3 for 1 from 9 p.m. to 10 p.m.........many a long night started in that place.

Miss the Lap and Library and Flamingos....and Charlie Pepper's, when it first opened. OCI is cool, but it's so small, if you aren't there sort of early to get a table, preferably the one in front by the window, it kind of sucks.
the strip just isn't what it used to be.....:cray:

Anyone else here old enough to remember the Roman Room and George, the bartendder serving those tall cans of Blue Ribbon for 50 cents? Or the Loved Ones band playing at "The Place"? Or university produced milk in the vending machines on campus? Or...etc..lol..I do..sigh

I was also there. It was my second year with season tickets. It was an amazing game. I also have it on DVD.........i copied it from my old tape. Dale Jones was on fire!

The 85 season is one of my fondest memories, except for the loss to Florida and the tie with Georgia Tech. I thought we had lost the Tech game. I was leaving.....walking to my car.......when Carlos Reveiz kicked the tying field goal.

The season wasn't that great till the second half when Dickey took over and the team really pulled together. It was amazing what we did after the Bama game. The best part of the season was the Vandy game when we knew we were going to the Sugar Bowl as SEC champs! That was special. It had been a long time.

Does anyone else realize that we shut out both Kentucky and Vandy at the end of the year? We were ready for Miami.:dance2: :dance2: :dance2:

Anyone else here old enough to remember the Roman Room and George, the bartendder serving those tall cans of Blue Ribbon for 50 cents? Or the Loved Ones band playing at "The Place"? Or university produced milk in the vending machines on campus? Or...etc..lol..I do..sigh
George is a God. The closing of The Roman Room was The Strip's death knell.

VN Store

Back