2013 F Austin Nichols (Memphis Briarcrest)

That's never a good look for any school, and more and more media have been making it a story when a coach/school does so, Memphis has zero reason to hold Nichols hostage.

Do you think Barnes will try to bring him to UT? Would he be interested in pursuing a transfer with 2 years left?

That's never a good look for any school, and more and more media have been making it a story when a coach/school does so, Memphis has zero reason to hold Nichols hostage.

Dick move by the Nichols family to transfer end of June/July. Dick move by Memphis program to deny release. I'm sure Pastner wants one more sales pitch at him and he'll have his release within a week.

Reactions: 1 person
I always thought Austin's draft stock was at its peak after his freshman year. He had a pretty nice offensive game and led the NCAA in blocks that year. Plus Memphis was never going to get any better as a team. Pastner is toast, he's lost 7 players since the end of last year. I wish the best of luck to ya Austin

Dick move by the Nichols family to transfer end of June/July. Dick move by Memphis program to deny release. I'm sure Pastner wants one more sales pitch at him and he'll have his release within a week.

And if that's the case that's perfectly fine, Pastner deserves to have a talk with the family prior to granting a release.

I don't know much about NCAA regulations as far as transfers go. I thought it was only within a conference that a potential transfer can be blocked.

If Pastner can block Tennessee, he most definitely will.

I don't know much about NCAA regulations as far as transfers go. I thought it was only within a conference that a potential transfer can be blocked.

If Pastner can block Tennessee, he most definitely will.

You can block whoever you want to, happens all the time, typically conference schools, sometimes in state schools, and then schools on your schedule while the player will be eligible are common schools that are blocked.

Supposedly the release wasn't granted because Nichols has yet to have a conversation with Pastner. A letter was written a week ago stating his intentions and asking for release, but he never stepped into Pastner's office for a face to face. Nichols just didn't show up for the last two mandatory practices. I fully expect Nichols to get his release sooner than later, as Pastner has always allowed, even helped players transfer if desired. I also doubt he would put restrictions on where he could transfer, besides the usual within conference restrictions. I would be even more shocked if Nichols strongly considered UT again, he's got two years and wants to be in a place he can win immediately, not a rebuilding job. He's got to be thinking that he could have been a starter on the Duke team that won it all this year. Another black eye for Pastner, who I have stated before that I want gone, and should be gone by the end of this season.

Nichols also wanta to be close to home which is why Duke wasn't a factor in the first place, unless his family is planning on moving to Durham I don't see that happening. Stallings is setting Vanderbit up pretty nicely as much as I hate to admit it, they could be a potential destination.

Nichols also wanta to be close to home which is why Duke wasn't a factor in the first place, unless his family is planning on moving to Durham I don't see that happening.
Mississppi school maybe? Missouri? I would like to think he could maybe come and play at UT but I doubt Pastner would let that happen.

@Ben_Fred: Yes, Tennessee should go after Austin Nichols. So should every other school that has a scholarship to give.

Just for those who don't think we SHOULD go after him. Not saying we will but won't hurt to try up until the almost certain block of transfer. Also hiring a lawyer apparently

@GaryParrishCBS: Austin Nichols asked for his release 7 business days ago. Memphis denied the release today. Nichols plans to appeal and/or hire a lawyer.

It would be unwise not to go after Nichols. He was way too good for Pastner. It was not a wise decision on his part to play AAU ball at Memphis. I applaud him for realizing his mistake, and wanting to go play elsewhere.

He should be calling Coach K, soon.

VN Store

Back