2013 Vols Depth Chart (Preseason)

Would you feel that way if you were Worley and performed the best coming out of fall camp?

i mean if worley is the best then he should play...but if it is close i think it will go to a true freshman and i just dont see worley being the best. they are all essentially starting on a level playing field with a new system being put in place

Why not just play the best players who give us the best chance to win? Isn't that what it's all about? Lets play for now, not play for the future. Players come and go, you gotta make the most with what you have. I've never got the point of "throw him in, lets get the kinks out", screw that. I wanna win as many games as possible every year.

im not saying sacrifice the season to get experience and maybe worley will be better. but based on the glimpses we have seen, i dont think worley will be the one giving us the best chance to win. i think worley will end up 3rd on the depth chart behind peterman and a freshman because of the system we are in now

Grades for each overall unit

QB's = C
really hard to grade a unit when you haven't really seen anything from any of them. But I think either Worely or Peterman could end up being a solid QB for us this year. make good decisions and dont turn the ball over and we should be fine with either guy.

RB's = B
Rajon Neal is poised to have a break out year in 2013. he has all the physical tools to be a stud speed, size, and quickness Add that to the fact he will be running behind the best Oline in the SEC and we have a recipe for a great year. outside of Georgia you will be hard pressed to find a better backup thn Marlin Lane. Lane is a natural runner with great vision and quickness. If he had the breakaway speed Neal has we would be talking about Lane as one of the best backs in the country.

WR's= C-
At first glance the WR position looks like it could be one of the worst units on the team. Its a very inexperienced group but i think the talent is thr. But just because a player is inexperienced doesn't mean he cant come in and be good right away. Pig is a perfect slot receiver and he will be very productive this season. Croom is a huge target in the red zone and if he has any speed and hands to go with that size we could have a beast on our hands. i also predict North will be starting very early in the season and he is another big target that can run like a deer. If these youngsters can step up and step up fast we could be looking at one of the better groups on the team instead of the worst.

TE's= C
boy would it be nice if Cam Clear wasn't catching passes from Johnny Football and was wearing orange instead. But Downs has shown flashes of being a solid TE and hopefully he can hold down the spot because i dont see anyone behind him being a play maker for us this year.

Oline= A+
Studs beasts animals freaks. by far the best group on the team i expect nothing but greatness from this Oline. a group of vets that will set the tone for our Offense. our seasons depends on these guys living up to the hype and i believe they will.

Offense overall= B-
If we can run the ball and give whoever is behind center time to throw i think we will be a pretty solid offense capable of good things this year. Wont be the explosive O of last year but an O that will be able to sustain long drives and run the ball down the D's throat.

Dline= B
Its an experienced group albeit not the most productive. With the mountain in the middle i think this group will surprise fans this year. Jaq smith will finally start to play like he looks, a beast. Walls, Williams, and Miller are big bodies coming after the QB. behind MCcullers, Couch and Hood will help stuff up the middle for our athletic linebackers to roam free.

LB's= B+
Big Fast Athletes all over our LB core. All SEC LB AJ Johnson will be the rock of this group and the whole defense. When healthy Maggit is an All American type of player. Sapp is the wildcard of this group he is undersized but can run like a deer and i like his ability to make plays other bigger LB cannot. Bynum Harris and Brewer will be more than serviceable backups I like the skills of all 3 and will be able to step in and spell the starters.

Safety= C+
The success of this group will hinge on the health of Brain Randolph and how far along McNeil has come from a year ago. I like BMoores nose for the ball but the kid is just to slow to be a starting safety in the SEC. If healthy Randolph will be a rock for us at the SS position. McNeil needs to step up and play fast like the athlete he is. If we start the season with Bmoore on the field i lower this rating to a C-.

CB= D
ex termly inexperienced and a sever lack of depth. very nervous about this group in 2013. I like Coleman and have heard good things about Jones but behind those 2 i see no help at all. The loss of Eric Gordon at the nickle will really hurt us. hopefully they will grow up fast and stay healthy or we could be in for a loooooong season.

Defense overall= B
The strong play from the Line backing core as-well as the Dline will cover up some of the weakness in the secondary. As long as we can pressure the QB unlike in years past i think this defense will be fine. nowhere to go but up

Maggit should be starting, Lane should atleast be #2, and our wide recievers should be North, Croom, Bowels and Howard/ Young

Unrelated but Driskel is out 2+ weeks with appendectomy. Could mess up their offense, especially timing routes.

Every starter for the Gators could develop appendicitis the night before our game in the Swamp and I still wouldn't like our chances. Just the way it is against them.

Grades for each overall unit

QB's = C
really hard to grade a unit when you haven't really seen anything from any of them. But I think either Worely or Peterman could end up being a solid QB for us this year. make good decisions and dont turn the ball over and we should be fine with either guy.

RB's = B
Rajon Neal is poised to have a break out year in 2013. he has all the physical tools to be a stud speed, size, and quickness Add that to the fact he will be running behind the best Oline in the SEC and we have a recipe for a great year. outside of Georgia you will be hard pressed to find a better backup thn Marlin Lane. Lane is a natural runner with great vision and quickness. If he had the breakaway speed Neal has we would be talking about Lane as one of the best backs in the country.

WR's= C-
At first glance the WR position looks like it could be one of the worst units on the team. Its a very inexperienced group but i think the talent is thr. But just because a player is inexperienced doesn't mean he cant come in and be good right away. Pig is a perfect slot receiver and he will be very productive this season. Croom is a huge target in the red zone and if he has any speed and hands to go with that size we could have a beast on our hands. i also predict North will be starting very early in the season and he is another big target that can run like a deer. If these youngsters can step up and step up fast we could be looking at one of the better groups on the team instead of the worst.

TE's= C
boy would it be nice if Cam Clear wasn't catching passes from Johnny Football and was wearing orange instead. But Downs has shown flashes of being a solid TE and hopefully he can hold down the spot because i dont see anyone behind him being a play maker for us this year.

Oline= A+
Studs beasts animals freaks. by far the best group on the team i expect nothing but greatness from this Oline. a group of vets that will set the tone for our Offense. our seasons depends on these guys living up to the hype and i believe they will.

Offense overall= B-
If we can run the ball and give whoever is behind center time to throw i think we will be a pretty solid offense capable of good things this year. Wont be the explosive O of last year but an O that will be able to sustain long drives and run the ball down the D's throat.

Dline= B
Its an experienced group albeit not the most productive. With the mountain in the middle i think this group will surprise fans this year. Jaq smith will finally start to play like he looks, a beast. Walls, Williams, and Miller are big bodies coming after the QB. behind MCcullers, Couch and Hood will help stuff up the middle for our athletic linebackers to roam free.

LB's= B+
Big Fast Athletes all over our LB core. All SEC LB AJ Johnson will be the rock of this group and the whole defense. When healthy Maggit is an All American type of player. Sapp is the wildcard of this group he is undersized but can run like a deer and i like his ability to make plays other bigger LB cannot. Bynum Harris and Brewer will be more than serviceable backups I like the skills of all 3 and will be able to step in and spell the starters.

Safety= C+
The success of this group will hinge on the health of Brain Randolph and how far along McNeil has come from a year ago. I like BMoores nose for the ball but the kid is just to slow to be a starting safety in the SEC. If healthy Randolph will be a rock for us at the SS position. McNeil needs to step up and play fast like the athlete he is. If we start the season with Bmoore on the field i lower this rating to a C-.

CB= D
ex termly inexperienced and a sever lack of depth. very nervous about this group in 2013. I like Coleman and have heard good things about Jones but behind those 2 i see no help at all. The loss of Eric Gordon at the nickle will really hurt us. hopefully they will grow up fast and stay healthy or we could be in for a loooooong season.

Defense overall= B
The strong play from the Line backing core as-well as the Dline will cover up some of the weakness in the secondary. As long as we can pressure the QB unlike in years past i think this defense will be fine. nowhere to go but up

I appreciate the optimism but there is no way this offense will be a B-. The WRs have no experience and no real deep threat (can't stretch the field) and the RBs have played but have not shown the ability to produce even behind a very good OL. The QBs are serviceable but will be hampered by the lack of playmakers around them.

On defense, there is no real pass rusher and if you rate the CBs as a D, then the defense can not be a B. However, the defense will be much better than last year...of course that's a compliment akin to "you don't sweat much for a fat girl."

At this point, the Vols are undefeated so I do appreciate your optimism.

Reactions: 1 person
Completely disagree. Other than Jordan Williams, nobody on the team has shown an ability to get to the QB, and even then it's not like Williams is Michael Strahan. He's the only hope of a consistent pass rush with Miller being more of a run stopper. I, again, will not buy the Jacquez Smith hype.

Maggitt did before the turf toe in the 2nd game last season. He stayed in Gleason's face the entire game in the opener last season against NC St. Whether he will have that ability this season after the ACL tear is anyone's guess at this point. Of course, it's not good when you have to depend on an LB to provide your pass rush, so hopefully we can get a better pass rush this season back in the 3-4 where Williams, Smith, and Miller are back at DE and can get their hands on the ground at the LOS. I'm aware we didn't have a particularly good pass rush 2 seasons ago in Wilcox's 4-3, but Smith and Miller have had 2 seasons 2 get stronger and learn better technique, and Williams should do better in the 4-3 as well.

Im sure alot of this will change by kickoff..Lane will be in the 2 deep. Pickett should get some PT and North could be starting. But either way its good so see us finslly with some depth

No way Ayers plays much. Not athletic at all.
What the hey is up with Merideth? Highly recruited TE. Injured?

VN Store

Back