2024-2025 Tennessee Basketball Team Discussion

Vols All Day

It seems like we don't have a specific thread to discuss and post news regarding next year's team, so I thought it may be a good idea to have an off-Season thread.

Reactions: Mbarton36
I thought I would bring this over here, so it does not get lost in the Lakers discussion.

The current team—minus Polish Olympian Igor Milicic (Congrats!!)—will get a short break with the holiday weekend before returning for the second leg of summer workouts.

Felix Okpara is a guy we’ve heard good things about pretty consistently just regarding his work ethic, high-motor and high-end athleticism. Tennessee was looking for an effective rim protector to replace Jonas Aidoo and there may not be any drop off on that end of the court. In fact Okpara may be more effective when you’re just talking about a shot-blocker.

Newcomers Chaz Lanier and Darlinstone Dubar have both displayed the kind of offensive skill in the gym that made them such coveted targets. No one is suggesting Tennessee has another Dalton Knecht in the fold, but there is a feeling that both should be—at the very least—effective offensive players at this level.

What are the Vols going to do with the last 2 scholarships?

I think our options boil down to
1.) a late upcoming freshman commitment from the summer circuit (like Zeigler did)
2.) a potential 2025 reclass (like BHH did)
3.) leaving a scholarship open for a mid season acquisition (like Vescovi did)
or just simply
4.) not using all 13 scholarships.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Picsart_24-07-06_23-39-33-160.jpg
    Picsart_24-07-06_23-39-33-160.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 21

1.) a late upcoming freshman commitment from the summer circuit (like Zeigler did)
or just simply

What do you think?

Probably #4

or just simply

What do you think?
Barnes is all about growing strong young men of faith. Pretty sure those slots get filled, 1-3

or just simply

What do you think?

If #4 there are 3x freshmen and a junior walk-on. I wonder if each could get a 50% scholarship?

My best guess on a “depth chart”:

1- Zakai Ziegler, Bishop Boswell
2-Chaz Lanier, Jordan Gainey
3- Jamai Mashack, Cameron Carr
4- Igor Milicic, Darlinstone Dubar, Cade Phillips
5- Felix Okpara, JP Estrella

But as a practical matter, I think it shakes out this way:

1- Ziegler/Lanier/Gainey
2- Lanier/Carr/Gainey
3- Mashack/Carr/Dubar
4- Milicic/Dubar/Phillips
5- Okpara/Estrella/Milicic

Boswell either redshirts or only plays garbage time. Carr, being the top reserve at both wing spots, will end up getting a lot of minutes…close to the same as some starters. Same with Dubar. This could be the first year Barnes really uses a deep 9-10 man rotation. I’ll guess he plays 9 guys pretty extensively, with Phillips being the odd man out most games.

Excited for Zeiglers senior season.

I think he can break both the steals & assists records which is impressive in only 4 seasons.

The odds were stacked against him.
Coaches even had redshirt expectations.

Zeigler for president

Attachments

• Picsart_24-07-07_00-37-13-476.jpg
    Picsart_24-07-07_00-37-13-476.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 18
Barttorvik updated for next season and currently has Tennessee projected at #5 nationally, #43 offensively and #3 defensively. Their projections for PPG have Lanier at 4.8ppg, Carr at 4.5ppg & Estrella at 3.4ppg. I would say we all probably expect those guys to best those numbers so you can see where the 43 on offense is coming from but also where it can easily be better.

Barttorvik updated for next season and currently has Tennessee projected at #5 nationally, #43 offensively and #3 defensively. Their projections for PPG have Lanier at 4.8ppg, Carr at 4.5ppg & Estrella at 3.4ppg. I would say we all probably expect those guys to best those numbers so you can see where the 43 on offense is coming from but also where it can easily be better.

That's interesting given vols added 2 of the top players in offensive efficiency last year.

Geez...if Lanier averages 4.8 ppg, what a letdown that would be. My guess is that his model has the same concerns I initially did related to why it took so long for him to make a big impact at UNF and how will he translate to one of the best conferences in the country. Carr and Estrellla numbers may not be too far off the mark depending on how playing time falls. Estrella may be more surprising than Carr, but neither figure is ridiculously out of line until they prove it on the floor, I guess.

Def surprising to see Lanier that low while also having Dubar at ~14 ppg. While we always want more, I would take 10/6 from Igor assuming he can play respectable defense.

Excited for Zeiglers senior season.

I think he can break both the steals & assists records which is impressive in only 4 seasons.

The odds were stacked against him.
Coaches even had redshirt expectations.

Zeigler for president
Agreed but curious if he and Mashack get a Covid year.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Agreed but curious if he and Mashack get a Covid year.

No. 2019-20 was the season that was shut down early. 2020-21 was the season played in front of just a handful of fans. 2021-22 was back to “normal” and ZZ and Mashack were true freshmen that season. ZZ could apply for an extra year due to his season ending injury in 2022-23 but it would almost certainly be rejected for playing in way too many games to be eligible for a hardship year.

I am too but I wonder where we are going to find minutes for Carr, Lanier, Dubar, Mashack and Gainey?
Gainey is the one who should see his minutes significantly cut. Can’t shoot 29% from three and expect to see more minutes. Not with this roster. Gainey does have a nice little floater and 15ft game, and I think he can still play a role, but he should probably be used more as a last resort when we are struggling offensively to provide a spark off the bench…or when the others are in foul trouble. I’m thinking 8-10 mins a game for him this year.

VN Store

Back