2024-2025 Tennessee Basketball Team Discussion

Taking this with a massive grain of salt because, ya know, pre-season practice reports. But if JM can be a threat from 3, it definitely changes the ceiling for the offense.

Would be awesome if that means he's developed that consistent of a shot. Just playing devils advocate I hope it doesn't mean by him most consistent shooter the rest of the guys are shooting poorly.

Mashack has been on the court as much as ZZ in scrimmages. The Lanier foot injury is not a big deal. He has an inflamed toe. He’s already close to being over it. Estrella’s injury is a much bigger deal. He’s many weeks of rehab in already and still not ready. I’d look for him to be used very sparingly before the break. Cade has been playing a lot and playing much better at both ends. This week they’ve been trying lots of lineups and it’s revealed some interesting new combinations. Gainey understands what he’s doing a lot more than last year and seems to be developing into a more mature presence. That’s all I’ve got for today.

Taking this with a massive grain of salt because, ya know, pre-season practice reports. But if JM can be a threat from 3, it definitely changes the ceiling for the offense.

Agree re: the salt...having said that, Shack showed some flashes of hitting that set 3 pt shot last season. Of the 24 games, he took at least 1 shot and he hit 50% or more 10 times (42% of the time). Granted, he never had more than 3 attempts and he only put it up 3 times in 4 games so very low volume. Will be interesting to see if he can be a legit spot up shooter to stretch the floor side opposite Chaz for kickouts from our post players or ZZ.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
Mashack has been on the court as much as ZZ in scrimmages. The Lanier foot injury is not a big deal. He has an inflamed toe. He’s already close to being over it. Estrella’s injury is a much bigger deal. He’s many weeks of rehab in already and still not ready. I’d look for him to be used very sparingly before the break. Cade has been playing a lot and playing much better at both ends. This week they’ve been trying lots of lineups and it’s revealed some interesting new combinations. Gainey understands what he’s doing a lot more than last year and seems to be developing into a more mature presence. That’s all I’ve got for today.
Dang...I had JP pegged as one of the surprises this season and felt he would surprise on offense but missing this much time likely puts a damper on that outlook (at least to start the season). Glad to hear Chaz is almost over his injury (was starting to wonder about the design of our workouts with simultaneous foot injuries. I remember JJJ and Santi going to CRB Cade's FR season and making the case not to redshirt him because they felt he could help us - love his energy and style of play so look forward to seeing how he has added to his game this season since he sounds like he will def get an oppy early in the year.

If the season started today, what’s the rotation?
ZZ 30 / Lanier 5 / Gainey 5
Lanier 25 / Gainey 10 / Carr 5
Mashack 25 / Dubar 10 / Carr 5
Milicic 30 / Dubar 10
Okpara 25 / Cade 10 / Estrella 5

Once JP gets healthy, gonna get more minutes. Also assume Carr/Dubar/Jahmai minutes change based on development of former two, though probably not by a ton. But what do I know…

Reactions: THEONLYTENISEE
Milicic 30 / Dubar 10

Once JP gets healthy, gonna get more minutes. Also assume Carr/Dubar/Jahmai minutes change based on development of former two, though probably not by a ton. But what do I know…
Probably not too far off. Mashack almost certainly plays more minutes than Lanier. I see him and ZZ as the only 30+ MPG players. Possibly Milicic next. Okpara and Lanier probably both around 25 seems likely. Cade, JP, Carr, Dubar are players that I think right now is hard to predict. Very TBD in terms of minutes.

Milicic 30 / Dubar 10

I think Carr will get more than 10 minutes.

Would be awesome if that means he's developed that consistent of a shot. Just playing devils advocate I hope it doesn't mean by him most consistent shooter the rest of the guys are shooting poorly.
He shot a good % last year and it looked good when he did, just didn’t shoot it very often. Most times he put up a corner 3 I expected it to hit. Similar to how I feel about ZZ pulling up from the top of the key when he’s left open.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Probably not too far off. Mashack almost certainly plays more minutes than Lanier. I see him and ZZ as the only 30+ MPG players. Possibly Milicic next. Okpara and Lanier probably both around 25 seems likely. Cade, JP, Carr, Dubar are players that I think right now is hard to predict. Very TBD in terms of minutes.

I think Carr will get more than 10 minutes.
I agree by mid-season, think this is just how it'll start, original guy asked if season started tomorrow what's rotation. JP definitely going to get more than 5 MPG when healthy too.

I mean…

If he shoots above 35% on any kind of significant volume, he is a top 25 player in the country, easily.

He shot 35% last year on low volume. mostly just spot up, wide open shots.

Call me cautiously optimistic. It’s one thing to do it in practice… another to do it in games

I mean…

If he shoots above 35% on any kind of significant volume, he is a top 25 player in the country, easily.

He shot 35% last year on low volume. mostly just spot up, wide open shots.

Call me cautiously optimistic. It’s one thing to do it in practice… another to do it in games
His sophomore numbers were 31.4% from deep on 35 attempts and 57.9% from the FT line on 57 attempts.

Junior numbers were 35.9% from deep on 39 attempts and 72% from the FT line on 50 attempts.

So no doubt he worked on and really improved his shooting over last off season, I don’t think he’s gonna be an off the dribble pull up knock down shooter, but seems like he could plausibly be a 38-40% perimeter shooter on around 2 spot up attempts a game along with 75%+ at the line.

I’ve heard that Lanier and Dunbar have been having great practices and each are beginning to understand their roles in the system. I think the Trilly post is in reference to Dubar having back to back 12+ point scrimmages. I’ve heard he’s become more comfortable playing inside in a variety of lineups, and has become more comfortable driving when there’s space. Milicic had a bumpy week changing positions in different lineups, but I wouldn’t read anything negative into that. He’s still the transfer who will contribute the most. They’re just trying scenario based lineups at both ends to find chemistry. It is encouraging to hear that Dubai caught the train in multiple different roles.

From your report, it sounds like Dunbar, Dubai, and Dubar will be 3 excellent additions to this roster.

VN Store

Back