• Tri-CitiesVol - 2
  • GordonC - 4
  • peaygolf - 4
  • Go aeiou - 3
  • jhen - 3
  • WestTNFox - 2
  • VolInNorthCack - 4

Reactions: malinoisvol
Fun fact: as a rules official for the AJGA in 2007, I had to assess Spieth a two stroke penalty after a round. Prolly mentioned it five times before, but I was immediately reminded of it when I got the notification this evening
What daheck does a golfer gotta do to get DQ'd?

Reactions: GordonC
Fun fact: as a rules official for the AJGA in 2007, I had to assess Spieth a two stroke penalty after a round. Prolly mentioned it five times before, but I was immediately reminded of it when I got the notification this evening

Ya think any PGA players intentionally try to improve their score by cheating?

As a whole..............no..........but it has happened a few times. Mainly on mini-tours.

"In 1985, Vijay Singh, who is from Fiji, was banned from the Asian Tour after an alleged cheating incident at the Indonesian Open. He was charged with altering his scorecard, and while the details remain murky, there is no disputing that the Southeast Asia Golf Federation suspended him indefinitely."

this is such a loaded question. I’m not going to ever defend Patrick Reed, other than to say he’s less of a scumbag than his archnemesis, Brandel Chamblee. Reed gets a lot, and I mean, a lot of hate, for his instances of “cheating”. This would be presumably improving his lie and/or swing plane by removing clumps of sand in a waste area (not a bunker, which I think gets lost on many), matting down grass while preparing to lay up with an iron before deciding to go at it with a fairway wood, and confirming his ball was on one specific tree, despite controversy that it could’ve been stuck in a different one.

This is about as bad as it typically gets. Some players will tell you this kind of thing is more common than you would think. Others tout golf as the cleanest, most ethical pro sport out there.

Justin Doeden pulled the same Vijay move on the Canadian Tour a few years, changing a 7 to a 5 in order to make the cut. He later fessed up.

This is literally all I can think of in my lifetime. Some people got mad at Bryson one year for inquiring about relief from ants as if he was cheating. I worked numerous events where relief from ants was most definitely a local rule in play. Pros ability to use existing to rules to their advantage is absolutely wild. They are often able to help themselves in bad situations due to rules in play. That’s smart, not cheating imho.

In Spieth’s case with my involvement, he was accused by both playing partners of hitting a ball twice in one swing as he played out of a bunker, but didn’t report it. Fwiw, that being a penalty was eliminated 5 years ago. I don’t think he knew he hit the ball twice, and didn’t argue accepting the penalty.

this is such a loaded question. I’m not going to ever defend Patrick Reed, other than to say he’s less of a scumbag than his archnemesis, Brandel Chamblee. Reed gets a lot, and I mean, a lot of hate, for his instances of “cheating”. This would be presumably improving his lie and/or swing plane by removing clumps of sand in a waste area (not a bunker, which I think gets lost on many), matting down grass while preparing to lay up with an iron before deciding to go at it with a fairway wood, and confirming his ball was on one specific tree, despite controversy that it could’ve been stuck in a different one.

This is about as bad as it typically gets. Some players will tell you this kind of thing is more common than you would think. Others tout golf as the cleanest, most ethical pro sport out there.

Justin Doeden pulled the same Vijay move on the Canadian Tour a few years, changing a 7 to a 5 in order to make the cut. He later fessed up.

This is literally all I can think of in my lifetime. Some people got mad at Bryson one year for inquiring about relief from ants as if he was cheating. I worked numerous events where relief from ants was most definitely a local rule in play. Pros ability to use existing to rules to their advantage is absolutely wild. They are often able to help themselves in bad situations due to rules in play. That’s smart, not cheating imho.

In Spieth’s case with my involvement, he was accused by both playing partners of hitting a ball twice in one swing as he played out of a bunker, but didn’t report it. Fwiw, that being a penalty was eliminated 5 years ago. I don’t think he knew he hit the ball twice, and didn’t argue accepting the penalty.
Makes me think about standing by a fire ant mound to hit a golf ball. At least you get relief.
So Spieth put the extra stroke on his score card when he hit the ball twice?
Seems like the shot would most likely be crummy.

Makes me think about standing by a fire ant mound to hit a golf ball. At least you get relief.
So Spieth put the extra stroke on his score card when he hit the ball twice?
Seems like the shot would most likely be crummy.
Ant hills are typically a local rule in play if allowable for relief at all. IMHO, if you’re not breaking 80, take the relief and play on. Others may disagree.

Spieth didn’t count the stroke, his playing partners reported at the end of the round, thus why he suffered the penalty. Reading between the lines, it’s questionable why his playing partners didn’t say something before he played another shot.

Reactions: GordonC

really good assessment. ty

really good assessment. ty
Thanks.

Also, Brandel Chamblee can eat the whole bag of d**** and choke on them. Not die by any means, but I’d watch a lot more Golf Channel if he went away. But it’s not because he’s a cheater, it’s just because he’s the Stephen A Smith/Skip Bayless of the golf world.

Golf seems to be really, really clean despite having quite possibly the easiest path to cheating (in Patrick Reed’s ways).

The fact that PGA Tour players have to still keep their own score is so dumb. Scorers are walking with every group.

The fact that occasionally the players cannot do so accurately is dummer

True but doesn’t change the fact it is 100% useless for them to do it now. Even if he signed for an incorrect score just change it and let him keep playing. They already know his score anyway before he signs for it.

True but doesn’t change the fact it is 100% useless for them to do it now. Even if he signed for an incorrect score just change it and let him keep playing. They already know his score anyway before he signs for it.
Right. We need more rules absolving people from their responsibilities, which they know ahead of time.

Right. We need more rules absolving people from their responsibilities, which they know ahead of time.

You are missing the point entirely. For research purposes are you over or under 50yrs of age?

VN Store

Back