2024 Lineup

Super early, but if I had to guess here’s best shot at the lineup (this will be totally wrong but for discussion purposes)

1. SS transfer
2. Dreiling (LF) - switch w Ensley against LHP
3. Moore (2B)
4. Peebles (C)
5. Burke (1B)
6. Denton (3B)
7. Jordan (DH)
8. Ensley (CF)
9. Tears (RF)

If Tears is our 9 hole hitter then we will have an incredible lineup. I think he will be pressing for top half of the lineup. He had some injuries this year but when he batted he would barrel up that ball.

Last edited:
What's the word on Stanwich? Is he coming back after his time off?

He had more juice than Dreiling or Chapman coming out of HS.

lineup next year looks legit with the Peebles transfer. Think you will see a jump from the outfield as well with Tears/Drieling replacing Scott. Though we may lose a little defensively there. Would love to see us add a true lead off somewhere.

lineup next year looks legit with the Peebles transfer. Think you will see a jump from the outfield as well with Tears/Drieling replacing Scott. Though we may lose a little defensively there. Would love to see us add a true lead off somewhere.

I’d love a true CF who could also bat leadoff. I know Enrique Bradfields don’t grow on trees, but man, he was such a weapon for Vandy on both offense and defense. I don’t see a true CF/leadoff guy in the portal right now, though, which is why I hope Booker comes around. He has the tools.

Logan Jordan would be an interesting get.

1- Plays OF and we need natural outfielders
2- RH and we need right handed bats
3- Has big game experience
4- As stated he is from Stillwater, Minnesota and UT has an alumni friend who can attest that Vols has translation services that would allow him to converse with us Tennesseans.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
With peebles in that locks down the catcher spot, so in no particular order our lineup is currently at-
C- Peebles
1b- Burke
2b- Moore
3b- ?
SS- ?
LF- Dreiling
CF- Ensley
RF- Tears
DH-?

Logan Jordan would be an interesting get.

1- Plays OF and we need natural outfielders
2- RH and we need right handed bats
3- Has big game experience
4- As stated he is from Stillwater, Minnesota and UT has an alumni friend who can attest that Vols has translation services that would allow him to converse with us Tennesseans.
4-…….🤣🤣🤣

If Tears is our 9 hole hitter then we will have an incredible lineup. I think he will be pressing for top half of the lineup. He had some injuries this year but when he batted he would barrel up that ball.
Oh he certainly could end up in the top half. Super early and just for discussion purposes. That was by no means a slight on Tears who I think will be a stud.

Since my original post we have indeed locked in Peebles (a couple really nice arms too). They are going to land Galanie, and have Amick from Clemson on campus too. Slot Galanie in the lineup somewhere. Whether Amick joins or Denton comes or both you then have every spot locked up other than SS (including DH).

I have no clue what they will do at SS. Do they try a freshman? I kind of doubt it. If they land both Amick and Galanie do they give one of them a try? There will be other good portal options if they want to pursue

My whole point with the guessing the lineup is not to get accuracy (too many moving parts), but rather to get the discussion going about the fact that even though they’re losing some super talented hitters, top to bottom this lineup is going to be better because there’s gonna be two guys who were auto outs for the majority of the year who are being replaced with absolute studs

My number 1 portal wishlist remaining (other than arms - never have too many of those) is a stud defensive SS or CF who is a great contact hitter/runner who can be a true leadoff guy.

Would expect to see Chapman in the mix, kid can really hit.
Yes they love him. Hopefully they can get him to stick around. You never know if he might have a huge offseason and pass Tears or Dreiling, but I think at minimum he’s rotating in the OF somewhere and is your left handed PH option.

With peebles in that locks down the catcher spot, so in no particular order our lineup is currently at-
C- Peebles
1b- Burke
2b- Moore
3b- ?
SS- ?
LF- Dreiling
CF- Ensley
RF- Tears
DH-?
They are going to land Galanie from Wofford. Pending what happens with Amick and Denton, Galanie is your 3B. If Denton is back I have no clue. Maybe they try him at SS, maybe they try him in the OF and let Tears or Dreiling DH, or maybe he DH’s

If you can also land Amick or get Denton back you’ve really got your lineup set other than SS. Tons of options there just no clue what they’ll do.

I also wonder if they’re going to try to get a CF upgrade, with Ensley being the RH PH. A major weakness of this team is there were no right handed pinch hitters. Whoever loses the battle between Dreiling Chapman and Tears (I believe that’s 2/3 of your starting OF) will be the left handed PH and that’s a damn good option

Fill out your lineup with a good SS and make sure you have a good right handed PH and continue filling out the pitching staff and you’re looking at another Omaha caliber team

Interesting comments. Also alludes to Zach Joyce and Logan Chambers as potentially entering transfer portal.

“First baseman Blake Burke (.280, 16 HRs) and second baseman Christian Moore (.304, 17 HRs, 50 RBIs) give UT a pair of centerpieces. Both need to be more steady as juniors. They also could potentially see time in the outfield.”

Mike Wilson article in Knox News Sentinel
I noticed that too. I’d be kind of shocked if Burke played in the OF, but maybe CMo could if they feel he has better instincts and they like other options they’ve brought in more defensively in the infield

In terms of top end talent I’m not sure this team is quite as good as last year (not sure there’s guys as good as Dickey/Merritt and Ahuna/Denton were at times), BUT this team is going to have serious depth and I think will be even better overall (whether the end result is better who the hell knows because baseball is weird)

Fall camp will be an absolute battle and they’ll probably lose some of their depth after fall camp as there will be some very talented players who realize they have no shot to see the field. But I feel very confident saying this team will be better depth wise - at the very least in terms of position players - than this years team was

Fair enough. My eye test…never played or coached above HS level, indicated Jaslove had a great glove, needed work at the plate. Would you agree?
Never say never, because we have seen guys come out of nowhere before (Trey Lipscomb, Jorel Ortega, etc) but I’ll be pretty shocked if Jaslove is ever a real factor here. Smooth fielder but just doesn’t bat at an sec level, and with todays game you simply can’t trot guys out who can’t hit (maybe a catcher if he’s nasty behind the plate). Just look at Florida/LSU/Wake those lineups were stacked 1-9. I believe next years team will be very good 1-9

Kendro has a smooth glove too and can really hit. Don’t be shocked if he factors into the SS position

Oh he certainly could end up in the top half. Super early and just for discussion purposes. That was by no means a slight on Tears who I think will be a stud.

Since my original post we have indeed locked in Peebles (a couple really nice arms too). They are going to land Galanie, and have Amick from Clemson on campus too. Slot Galanie in the lineup somewhere. Whether Amick joins or Denton comes or both you then have every spot locked up other than SS (including DH).

I have no clue what they will do at SS. Do they try a freshman? I kind of doubt it. If they land both Amick and Galanie do they give one of them a try? There will be other good portal options if they want to pursue

My whole point with the guessing the lineup is not to get accuracy (too many moving parts), but rather to get the discussion going about the fact that even though they’re losing some super talented hitters, top to bottom this lineup is going to be better because there’s gonna be two guys who were auto outs for the majority of the year who are being replaced with absolute studs

My number 1 portal wishlist remaining (other than arms - never have too many of those) is a stud defensive SS or CF who is a great contact hitter/runner who can be a true leadoff guy.
I understand getting the discussion started and well it is certainly underway. I just couldn't let the Tears batting order go. I really enjoyed watching him this year even in limited at bats. I too wonder what they will do for the SS position. I am not worried about OF including CF where many people are wanting an upgrade to CF. We just made a deep run without a perfect roster. We will have enough talent to do the same next year.

Isn’t there a JUCO SS commit?

Isn’t there a JUCO SS commit?
Yeah there is a JUCO infield commit from one of the Mississippi JUCOs who probably could factor into the SS conversation. I have heard he’s a potential draft candidate though so we will see. Bradke Lohry. Again, they are loaded. Not sure they have a pure no brainer SS on the roster right now, but I wouldn’t rule out adding one through the portal and even if not there’s so many talented dudes around that they will figure out someone good. At minimum I think you’re looking at a plus bat and average defense at that spot. But I think ultimately they end up with a guy who’s a plus in both

Lots of moving parts still - also a chance some guys shift positions around from last years team

Yeah there is a JUCO infield commit from one of the Mississippi JUCOs who probably could factor into the SS conversation. I have heard he’s a potential draft candidate though so we will see. Bradke Lohry. Again, they are loaded. Not sure they have a pure no brainer SS on the roster right now, but I wouldn’t rule out adding one through the portal and even if not there’s so many talented dudes around that they will figure out someone good. At minimum I think you’re looking at a plus bat and average defense at that spot. But I think ultimately they end up with a guy who’s a plus in both

Lots of moving parts still - also a chance some guys shift positions around from last years team
This guy was an absolute stud at JUCO btw. Just have to be weary of the JUCO kids. Sometimes they really pop and sometimes they struggle to make the transition. Logan Chambers and Colby Backus are two guys who absolutely destroyed JUCO hall that they got on campus and found out they couldn’t really cut it at this level

It’s a total wild card. But yes there’s a chance he’s very good. Playing in cape league this summer and doing decent there (striking out too much though)

VN Store

Back