2024 Lineup

Wonder why he hasn't gotten on the field for UT? Did he redshirt?
He was not good at all in fall ball. Had a very tough time adjusting to SEC level pitching. He’s playing very well in summer ball from what I’ve heard, but last I heard his name they were saying they don’t think he’s ever really going to be a factor here

Time to update this now that there’s maybe anywhere from 0-2 moves left to finalize the roster:

PITCHING

STARTERS
obviously the big fish left is Holman. He is on campus starting later this afternoon through late tomorrow. Then heads to Baton Rouge - Tony V will do what he normally tries to do on visits and try to get to the kid to never leave. We will see if it works. Kid of his caliber is probably going to hold off and at least visit BR though. Still - I like the vols chances (not saying it’s a guarantee at all)

Beam will start obviously. If you land Holman, he’s starting too. The other guys to look for in the weekend rotation are AJ Russell, Matthew Dallas, and Wyatt Evans. I believe Russell probably starts whether you land Holman or not. If you don’t land Holman, my best guess is Beam/Russell/Dallas is your rotation. Land Holman and he and beam are your Friday/Saturday in some order with Russell as your Sunday guy.

As for midweek starter, it will be interesting if they switch it up this year. Sechrist has excelled but they might want to save innings for weekends. If they switch, look for one of the younger guys like JJ Garcia, Hunter Sloop, or Dylan Loy to take this role.

BULLPEN
last I heard, they were pursuing a LHP from coastal in the portal. My understanding is that he’s probably not going to be a take if they land Holman as landing Holman will push an additional LHP to the pen.

RHP: AJ Causey, Nate Snead, Aaron Combs, JJ Garcia, Hunter Sloop, Austin Hunley

Very talented group here. Causey has a funky delivery and is probably going to take the Sewell role - long relief outings and swing starter if needed. They like him in the pen rather than starting because the more times he faces a lineup the more he gets hit, but think he will be deadly from the pen this year. Snead is the 100 mph guy. Will pitch a ton. Combs you know about - not a total guarantee he’s back but seems likely at this point. JJ Garcia is a 6’6 kid from NC who was a top 500 recruit. Mid 90s velo and has been playing very well in summer ball. Hunter Sloop is 6’8 and was mid to upper 90s in high school. Big time recruit. Redshirted last year. I have heard they think this kid is potentially a stud. Think he gets some real innings this year. Austin Hunley is Sean’s brother. Pitching decently in summer ball. Probably won’t pitch much outside of mid week games this year as there are too many other RHPs that are very talented.

LHP: Wyatt Evans, Matthew Dallas, Kirby Connell, Zander Sechrist, Andrew Behnke, Dylan Loy, Brayden Sharp, Bryson Thacker

IF they do not land Holman I believe one of Evans and Dallas will be a weekend starter. I assume most of y’all know about evans. Big lefty with filthy stuff. Took last year off for arm soreness. Matthew Dallas is an elite highschool recruit from Memphis area. 6’6 skinny kid with mid to upper 90s velo. I think they were pretty surprised he made it to campus. Big time makeup too. Was the starter for the U18 gold medal game in the baseball World Cup for team USA. Y’all know Kirby and Sechrist - not crazy stuff, but consistent strike throwers who get outs. From what I hear also two of the team leaders. Behnke pitched sparingly last year and not against big time comp but to great success. 10 Ks in 5 IP. From TN and was a big recruiting win over vandy. He’s a little different look because he’s 5’9 and most of our pitchers are huge. Deceptive delivery. Loy/Sharp/Thacker are incoming freshmen. Loy was a highschool all American and Gatorade POTY from TN. Not overpowering velo, but has some good breaking balls, throws strikes and is competitive as hell. He’s just a gamer which Tony and Frank love. He probably will get towards the mid 90s in velo after a year or two with Q as well. Brayden Sharp is from TX and was a top 200 national recruit. Velo is already in low-to-mid 90s and has a couple of off speed pitches too. He’s also athletic as hell and might end up playing in the OF. We will see once he gets through fall ball. Thacker is from GA and another big recruit. I think they thought he might get drafted as well. Mid-to-low 90s velo but don’t know much about him other than that

This pitching staff obviously lost a lot from last year, but they are still loaded. Will be one of the nations best yet again

POSITION PLAYERS

C: Cannon Peebles will be the starter here. Absolute stud, all conference potential. Can hit homers from both sides of the plate. Gives lineup a ton of versatility. But in addition to him they’ve built some very nice depth here. This will allow him to take days off behind the plate. Also from what I’ve heard he’s absolutely a good catcher, but if for whatever reason it’s not working , they can always replace him behind the plate and he can move to DH. Versatility is huge. Behind him they have a very solid group of returners in Stark and Taylor and then newcomers in Bargo and Lawless. No idea who will win the number 2 spot but they should be good. Bargo is a LH bat who can play all over and hit .280 at mizzou as a freshman. Lawless is a big time incoming recruit who is a very big and physical kid and also pretty polished both at the plate and defensively. I think he is a future stud. Not sure there’s room for him to get a ton of playing time as a freshman but i don’t think it will shock anyone at all if he forces his hand in that area.

1B: Blake Burke here. Lots of people were glad to see him have a strong postseason because he was in a weird funk. They still are very high on him though as are pro scouts. Needs to get more competitive in his ABs and learn not everything has to be a homerun (he good hit a much higher BA than he currently does, he has a very good swing). He had a few bad errors, but is actually pretty solid defensively over there and got more comfortable as year went on. Behind him they still have Ethan Payne (who is a great defender, runner, and bunter - valuable bench skill set). Dalton Bargo could also play here. Amick as well. And last you have the juco kid Robin Villenueve. He was a stud in juco and TN beat out some big schools for him. You never know with juco kids, but if he puts it all together then he’s probably the primary backup here and can also factor at DH as a right handed bat. He absolutely mashed at a pretty good juco school (but same could be said for Logan chambers and Colby Backus in the past)

2B: this could be pretty up in the air. If Denton returns, I believe Denton/Amick are your 2B/3B in whatever combo and CMo will go to the OF. If Denton doesn’t return, it’s possible CMo stays put at 2B, or if they still need him in the OF, then one of the newcomers such as Antigua or Lohry man 2B (more on them below). Whoever slots in here is going to be good though.

SS: this will be its own post after this.

3B: Billy Amick. Absolute stud bat, a little iffy on defense but I think they feel he’s got talent there and just not enough reps. If Denton is back it’s possible he stays at 3B and Amick goes to 2B but I imagine that it would be the other way (Amick at 3B, Denton at 2B). Your main backup here will probably Dalton Bargo (and if you are sensing a theme with Bargo coming up at almost every position, that’s exactly why they went after that kid). Some of the newcomers such as Grimmer and Curley could ultimately end up as backups here as well

OF: going to do this as one group. You have returners in Ensley, Dreiling, Tears, and Chapman. Christian Moore is going to get a very long look out here too. Bargo can play either corner OF as well. And then they have a big recruit coming in - Cole Eaton. Eaton has big time speed and arm. He’s probably one of their better defensive OF immediately which might land him some PT. Question will be can he hit at this level. Has some tools but I think is a little raw at the plate. I think CMo will land in the OF somewhere, whether it’s in CF or a corner spot. The other two spots will be a competition between Ensley/Dreiling/Tears/Chapman. If Denton doesn’t come back and CMo stays at 2B it opens another spot for one of those guys. I think you will see a ton of rotation here early in the year as they sort it out because all 4 are good enough to play. Dreiling and Tears bats are too good to keep out of the lineup, but can they defend? Ensley is the lone RH hitter which gives him a leg up here, and Chapman is the least experienced but they LOVE him and think he’s a future pro. If there’s one guy who might come out of nowhere next year to have a huge year he’d be my pick. Bargo is more just injury insurance out here, I imagine he will get most of his duties in the IF or behind the plate. Also need to note that they do have Backus coming back and he’s destroying summer ball again, so he might factor here. I need to add though that he destroyed juco and summer ball last year and then got to TN and simply couldn’t hit. After last year they left thinking he’s more of a depth piece than ever being a core player. We will see if that changes

Now for SS:

Obviously this is the big swing spot on the entire roster. And it’s still not out of the water that they add a portal player to the mix here, but for now here are the options (in no particular order because I truly have no idea who wins this)

Bradke Lohry - 5’9 juco transfer. Hit .452 with 9 HR and 60 RBI last year. Again preach caution with juco guys, but I do think that they feel he’s good enough to play at the sec level. His size is a little bit of a question mark (they tend to like big athletes at SS), but he could also factor in at 2B

Alex Perry - 6’4 juco transfer. Hit 26 HRs and 124 RBIs hitting well over .350 in 2 years at juco. The glove probably isn’t quite good enough for SEC level, but could also factor in as a backup at 3B and if the bat is as advertised also as a RH pinch hitter and DH. Again put the juco disclaimer on him

Dean Curley - 6’3 200 lb incoming freshman from CA.
LH hitter who is a top 150 recruit. Big time potential. Very fast, with a huge arm and a lot of pop in the bat. Of all the freshmen he probably has the most potential but is also probably the least polished (a lot can change in a year though. Vols very high on him and thought he might not make it in.

Ariel Antigua - 5’8 180 lb incoming freshmen from FL. RH hitter who is a top 150 recruit. Obviously he is small, but he has very good instincts defensively and has a very good bat. Polished at the plate and has plenty of pop for his size. The question is will the physical tools allow him to stick at SS at the SEC level. If not, he should make for a very good 2B maybe as early as next season. He and Lohry are pretty similar, but I honestly think Antigua has more potential. Antigua would probably be my bet of who might play the most of all the freshmen.

Blake Grimmer - 6’3 198 lb incoming freshman from MI. LH hitter, RH thrower who is a top 150 recruit. Similar profile to Curley. Curley is faster and has more power in his arm and bat and therefore more potential but Grimmer is more polished. Plenty of tools himself too. Is fast and has an accurate arm that is strong enough to play left side IF and will only get stronger. Has some untapped power potential at the plate too. If it doesn’t work at SS could play either corner IF spot.

While all unproven at this level and none are perfect prospects for the SS position, the fact is all 5 of these guys are supremely talented. I do not think all 5 will get PT this year, and some might ultimately move positions to help depth there, but I have to imagine whoever wins this battle will have really earned it and is going to be a good player

In summary I will do a projected lineup/rotation. Please note this is way too early (some of these guys aren’t even on the team yet and still have months of fall ball) and strictly for discussion purposes and meant to be fun. Discuss away:

Friday Starter - Luke Holman
Saturday Starter - Drew Beam
Sunday Starter - AJ Russell

Midweek Starter - JJ Garcia

RHP Bullpen (top 5) - AJ Causey, Nate Snead, Aaron Combs, JJ Garcia, Hunter Sloop

LHP Bullpen (top 5) - Wyatt Evans, Matthew Dallas, Kirby Connell, Zander Sechrist, Andrew Behnke

Catcher - Cannon Peebles (Stone Lawless/Bargo)
1B - Blake Burke (Robin Villeneuve)
2B - Zane Denton (Bradke Lohry)
SS - Ariel Antigua (Bradke Lohry)
3B - Billy Amick (Dalton Bargo)
LF - Christian Moore (Dreiling/Chapman)
CF - Hunter Ensley (CMo backup probably)
RF - Kavares Tears (Bargo/Chapman)

1 - Dylan Dreiling (DH)
2 - Christian Moore (LF)
3 - Billy Amick (3B)
4 - Blake Burke (1B)
5 - Cannon Peebles (C)
6 - Zane Denton (2B)
7 - Hunter Ensley (CF)
8 - Kavares Tears (RF)
9 - Ariel Antigua (SS)

this will be a top 10 preseason team, and has the potential to be one of the best under Tony. Omaha will definitely be in reach

Addition to the above: forgot to mention Camden Bates who is a good prospect too. He is most likely a middle infielder and more likely 2B than SS but you never know when a guy like that makes it to campus and really puts it together. I wouldn’t expect him to beat out any of the other names, but worth a mention

Addition to the above: forgot to mention Camden Bates who is a good prospect too. He is most likely a middle infielder and more likely 2B than SS but you never know when a guy like that makes it to campus and really puts it together. I wouldn’t expect him to beat out any of the other names, but worth a mention
Thanks for all the rundowns.

Nice work. Looking stacked and packed in Knoxville.

Nice work. Looking stacked and packed in Knoxville.
Appreciate it. But yes I fully anticipate this team being one of the best of the Vitello era. There is a lot of shuffling to be done, but we should be looking at a 2022-ish level team with a lineup that has 6-7 guys hitting .300+ and guys up and down the lineup with double digit HRs and a pitching staff with 3 stud starters and a stacked bullpen. Looking forward to this season for sure

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Appreciate it. But yes I fully anticipate this team being one of the best of the Vitello era. There is a lot of shuffling to be done, but we should be looking at a 2022-ish level team with a lineup that has 6-7 guys hitting .300+ and guys up and down the lineup with double digit HRs and a pitching staff with 3 stud starters and a stacked bullpen. Looking forward to this season for sure

Will be a better hitting team for sure

Any pitchers close to a Skenes were it’s pretty much a guaranteed win?

Any pitchers close to a Skenes were it’s pretty much a guaranteed win?
Personally I think Skenes this season was the best pitcher college baseball will see in a very long time. Do not think anyone reaches that level

I think the vols will land Luke Holman who was very good in the sec last year. We know drew beam is a stud too. Whoever the 3rd guy is (I believe it will be either AJ Russell or Matt Dallas) will be a future mlb first rounder too. So - will there be a Skenes? No. But will the rotation be similar to what we’ve trotted out the last 2-3 years? I’d say yes.

Personally I think Skenes this season was the best pitcher college baseball will see in a very long time. Do not think anyone reaches that level

I think the vols will land Luke Holman who was very good in the sec last year. We know drew beam is a stud too. Whoever the 3rd guy is (I believe it will be either AJ Russell or Matt Dallas) will be a future mlb first rounder too. So - will there be a Skenes? No. But will the rotation be similar to what we’ve trotted out the last 2-3 years? I’d say yes.

I think a big question is, do they keep Beam in the Sunday slot? My guess is no, but an argument can be made that he’s most valuable there and has excelled there. Moving Do from Saturday to Friday didn’t work out, so he moved back to Saturday mid-season.

Unless Beam is simply insulted by being the Sunday guy while also being the ace of the staff, I might leave him there. It’s nice to have that Sunday guy who is almost certainly going to cap a series with a win.

I think a big question is, do they keep Beam in the Sunday slot? My guess is no, but an argument can be made that he’s most valuable there and has excelled there. Moving Do from Saturday to Friday didn’t work out, so he moved back to Saturday mid-season.

Unless Beam is simply insulted by being the Sunday guy while also being the ace of the staff, I might leave him there. It’s nice to have that Sunday guy who is almost certainly going to cap a series with a win.
I would leave Beam for Sunday, Holman Friday night starter.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Here’s what I have. I didn’t make a batting order. And I’m not filling in the 3rd weekend starter guess until Holman decides.

Lineup

C: Cannon Peebles/Stone Lawless

1B: Blake Burke/Robin Villeneuve

2B: Christian Moore/Bradke Lohry

SS: Alex Perry/Dean Curley/Ariel Antigua

3B: Billy Amick/Ethan Payne

LF: Dylan Dreiling/Dalton Bargo

CF: Hunter Ensley/Reese Chapman

RF: Kavares Tears/Colby Backus

DH: Robin Villeneuve/Kavares Tears/Dalton Bargo

Weekend Starters

AJ Russell-RHP

Drew Beam-RHP

Midweek Starter

Zander Sechrist-LHP (likely a bullpen mix)

Bullpen

Wyatt Evans-LHP

AJ Causey-RHP

Kirby Connell-LHP

Nate Snead-RHP

Matthew Dallas-LHP

Marcus Phillips-RHP

JJ Garcia-RHP

Andrew Behnke-LHP

Trip Brown-RHP

Hunter Sloop-RHP

Pursuing: Luke Holman-RHP, Liam Doyle-LHP

Here’s what I have. I didn’t make a batting order. And I’m not filling in the 3rd weekend starter guess until Holman decides.

Lineup

Weekend Starters

AJ Russell-RHP

Drew Beam-RHP

Midweek Starter

Bullpen

Wyatt Evans-LHP

AJ Causey-RHP

Kirby Connell-LHP

Nate Snead-RHP

Matthew Dallas-LHP

Marcus Phillips-RHP

JJ Garcia-RHP

Andrew Behnke-LHP

Trip Brown-RHP

Hunter Sloop-RHP

Liam Doyle committed to Ole Miss last Monday.

In summary I will do a projected lineup/rotation. Please note this is way too early (some of these guys aren’t even on the team yet and still have months of fall ball) and strictly for discussion purposes and meant to be fun. Discuss away:

Friday Starter - Luke Holman
Saturday Starter - Drew Beam
Sunday Starter - AJ Russell

Midweek Starter - JJ Garcia

RHP Bullpen (top 5) - AJ Causey, Nate Snead, Aaron Combs, JJ Garcia, Hunter Sloop

LHP Bullpen (top 5) - Wyatt Evans, Matthew Dallas, Kirby Connell, Zander Sechrist, Andrew Behnke

Catcher - Cannon Peebles (Stone Lawless/Bargo)
1B - Blake Burke (Robin Villeneuve)
2B - Zane Denton (Bradke Lohry)
SS - Ariel Antigua (Bradke Lohry)
3B - Billy Amick (Dalton Bargo)
LF - Christian Moore (Dreiling/Chapman)
CF - Hunter Ensley (CMo backup probably)
RF - Kavares Tears (Bargo/Chapman)

1 - Dylan Dreiling (DH)
2 - Christian Moore (LF)
3 - Billy Amick (3B)
4 - Blake Burke (1B)
5 - Cannon Peebles (C)
6 - Zane Denton (2B)
7 - Hunter Ensley (CF)
8 - Kavares Tears (RF)
9 - Ariel Antigua (SS)

this will be a top 10 preseason team, and has the potential to be one of the best under Tony. Omaha will definitely be in reach
Great summary for all positions in the multiple posts you made. Very much appreciated.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

It’s an interesting question for sure. I think if they do not land Holman he’s definitely the Friday guy though. If they land Holman it gets interesting where they use Beam. I personally still think he will at least get bumped up to Saturday in that case because say you get to a super regional you can keep your standard rotation and guarantee he pitches

Lineup

Weekend Starters

AJ Russell-RHP

Drew Beam-RHP

Midweek Starter

Bullpen

Wyatt Evans-LHP

AJ Causey-RHP

Kirby Connell-LHP

Nate Snead-RHP

Matthew Dallas-LHP

Marcus Phillips-RHP

JJ Garcia-RHP

Andrew Behnke-LHP

Trip Brown-RHP

Hunter Sloop-RHP

I like it, on Doyle I was told they’re actually done with him post draft and that he might have already committed elsewhere. Sounds like he was insurance for losing one of the freshmen lefty’s in the draft, which did not happen

Beam will be a junior and draft eligible. With Burns leaving, he is the veteran of the starters. He has given his all for Tennessee for two seasons. This will be his last one. Whether Holman or anyone else commits to UT, I would sit down with Beam and offer him the Friday nite starter job. Let him have the first right of refusal. He's earned it. Holman could be Sat night if we get him.

Reactions: StickMan
It’s an interesting question for sure. I think if they do not land Holman he’s definitely the Friday guy though. If they land Holman it gets interesting where they use Beam. I personally still think he will at least get bumped up to Saturday in that case because say you get to a super regional you can keep your standard rotation and guarantee he pitches
That’s a great guess. I believe there’s more offense in the lineup to allow Zander, Russell, or Dallas the Sunday starter.

Reactions: WGWTFA98

VN Store

Back