2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Third place is IU, with a huge NIL bag and a history with him.
I know you mentioned Illinois, but can they really afford him after the bag they’re supposedly dropping on Storr? I know we aren’t going to offer what everyone else will, but as others have stated, if we can get him on campus I think we could make a compelling pitch on helping his draft stock and sell that we are the best team out of his suitors. Don’t see it happening, but hope I’m wrong.

I know you mentioned Illinois, but can they really afford him after the bag they’re supposedly dropping on Storr? I know we aren’t going to offer what everyone else will, but as others have stated, if we can get him on campus I think we could make a compelling pitch on helping his draft stock and sell that we are the best team out of his suitors. Don’t see it happening, but hope I’m wrong.
This IU was Indiana, but the Big Ten leftovers have gotten very aggressive after UM and OSU have dominated NIL. Indy and Illinois both have big banks to spend.

Reactions: berryvol
I think Chaz Lanier is a very good player that we would be very fortunate to get. Davis, has been good at a solid school, but look at where DK was before he came to Tennessee. He was at northern Colorado in a very poor league. Looking at Lanier’s film he really wows me with his quick release on his 3s, his ability to finish above the rim is very good, his handle his very good, he also can score 3s off the dribble which is nice.
Agree that he has the Wade Taylor magic where he goes from dribble or catch to release in a snap.

Yep, I agree there's no clear cut upgrade in the portal over Aidoo. There's some good bodies that have youth and potential, but I don't think I'd take anyone as a plug and play replacement for what Aidoo brings. And I think next year he's going to improve even more. He faced the best of the best bigs and has an entire off-season to study HIS tape against them and figure out how he can improve. I'd love to see him react quicker when back to the rim & take advantage of their physical play and learn to make a quick spin and go up strong once they commit. Grant was an absolute MASTER of this and it's why at 6'7" he was able to score so efficiently in the paint.
Some good points here. Part of why he struggles to score effectively against other sizable bigs is that he tries to shoot over everyone, regardless of size. He doesn't really often try and go around anyone or thru anyone like Grant would. Just a very finesse player who would prefer avoid contact it seems.

And to add on Aidoo, I don't think its a question of ability for me.

My biggest concern for him is this, does he want to be good or does he want to be great?

I get the sense that being good is perhaps good enough for him, and that's concerning. Players who want to be great take his NCAAT numbers and look in the mirror and tell themselves, "never again". Those guys are in the gym the next day getting up 500 jumpers. That's what made Dalton Knecht so good. He had an unmatched competitive drive to be the best player and to put the work in to make it happen.

Will Jonas Aidoo attack the offseason like that? I sure hope so.

This IU was Indiana, but the Big Ten leftovers have gotten very aggressive after UM and OSU have dominated NIL. Indy and Illinois both have big banks to spend.
Yeah, I meant Illinois from your previous post on the last page. I know a lot of these B1G schools are devoting a huge portion of their NIL to basketball, but some of the numbers being thrown around still seem crazy. This is slightly off subject, but do you think Danny/powers within the AD will be willing to divert more NIL to hoops in a post-Barnes world? Right now, our coaches and brand speak for themselves, as well as Barnes having a particular kind of player he likes to recruit, but we are certainly in the twilight years of Barnes. Obviously it takes a certain kind of work ethic and character in a recruit to want to play for Barnes, but it seems that we definitely get a Saban-tax-lite, for lack of a better explanation, when recruiting and re-recruiting guys (example: Aidoo last offseason) and more NIL may be needed to keep our trajectory once there’s a changing of the guard.

With Aidoo, I'm not sure how much more weight he can put on with his frame. He can continue to get stronger for sure, and there's no doubt that we have one of the best basketball S&C coaches in the country in Mendenwald, so I'm pretty sure it's not from a lack of trying. To be a stretch "4", he would have to prove he can make 3-point shots consistently and I'm not sure he's attempted 10 of those in his career. Will be interesting to see what he does going forward, starting with does he go portaling or stay for his senior year.

doubt he has any ties here and has always been on the west coast it seems like but this is a good portal entry at the 4 with multiple years left…

Yeah, I meant Illinois from your previous post on the last page. I know a lot of these B1G schools are devoting a huge portion of their NIL to basketball, but some of the numbers being thrown around still seem crazy. This is slightly off subject, but do you think Danny/powers within the AD will be willing to divert more NIL to hoops in a post-Barnes world? Right now, our coaches and brand speak for themselves, as well as Barnes having a particular kind of player he likes to recruit, but we are certainly in the twilight years of Barnes. Obviously it takes a certain kind of work ethic and character in a recruit to want to play for Barnes, but it seems that we definitely get a Saban-tax-lite, for lack of a better explanation, when recruiting and re-recruiting guys (example: Aidoo last offseason) and more NIL may be needed to keep our trajectory once there’s a changing of the guard.
I don’t know. We missed two players last year due to money, but I ended up liking what we got, obviously. I think the key in these deals is talent evaluation and we seem to be good at finding value, whereas a program like Arkansas shoots before aiming. Spyre says it’s a priority for basketball to “win championships”. We’ll see what that means.

I don’t know. We missed two players last year due to money, but I ended up liking what we got, obviously. I think the key in these deals is talent evaluation and we seem to be good at finding value, whereas a program like Arkansas shoots before aiming. Spyre says it’s a priority for basketball to “win championships”. We’ll see what that means.
I’m curious to see where Arkansas goes if Musselman goes to USC. I know Beard was mentioned. (If that happened, I don’t have to tell you who goes to Ole Miss.)

Reactions: berryvol
Reuben will be a sophomore. Unless he’s a one and done type of underclassmen, can’t think of a better place to develop than here.

Estrella may contribute next year but Cade is still a ways off imo.

Aidoo/young promising transfer (force Aidoo to take the next step in development or be second fiddle)
Awaka/estrella
Mashack/carr
Transfer sg/dilione
Zz/gainey

Aidoo has gotten better every year but his mentality when there is someone between him and the basket is too small for someone whose 6’11”.

We need at least one person who can shoot the three and/or create their own shot. Ideally they’re the same person ala knecht.
I disagree on Cade, I believe that in the limited action we saw him that he could be a very good energy guy off of the bench. Similar to Fulky during his first few years under Barnes.

I see a lot of Admiral in Saint Thomas offensively - I just worry about his explosiveness. He looks like he’s a step slow.

He’s not going to bully SEC defenders like he has in his conference.

Reactions: garyp194
Ramey named Darlinstone Dubar as a guy that seems likely along with Lanier. Have you heard anything about Dubar? Dude is 6’8” athletic and his shooting percentages are crazy good. If we got Lanier for Vescovi and Dubar for Knecht that would be pretty good replacements. I still say we need another PG to rest Zeigler when possible.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I disagree on Cade, I believe that in the limited action we saw him that he could be a very good energy guy off of the bench. Similar to Fulky during his first few years under Barnes.
He’ll be at the 4 behind tobe if we bring no one else in. I don’t know enough about his skill set but think he needs to add a bunch of weight before I see him contributing in the post game.

Reactions: CornbreadVol
And to add on Aidoo, I don't think its a question of ability for me.

My biggest concern for him is this, does he want to be good or does he want to be great?

I get the sense that being good is perhaps good enough for him, and that's concerning. Players who want to be great take his NCAAT numbers and look in the mirror and tell themselves, "never again". Those guys are in the gym the next day getting up 500 jumpers. That's what made Dalton Knecht so good. He had an unmatched competitive drive to be the best player and to put the work in to make it happen.

Will Jonas Aidoo attack the offseason like that? I sure hope so.

Pretty much where I stand with Aidoo. Does he want to become something special. The potential is there with his size. The problem is I don't think he fully realizes that he is 6'11".

The other concern is does he have the fire to let his end of season struggles fuel a great off-season. The double edge sword for the program is the Aidoo that played a lot of games this season we can't afford to lose. But the Aidoo that played the last batch of games was bad enough that we can't afford to keep and play him if that's how he is going to play. The hope would be that he realized that he hurt the team so bad and sucked so bad that Barnes had to bench him in favor of a true freshman to cover Edey. Make that light a fire under him.

Reactions: cncchris33
Ramey named Darlinstone Dubar as a guy that seems likely along with Lanier. Have you heard anything about Dubar? Dude is 6’8” athletic and his shooting percentages are crazy good. If we got Lanier for Vescovi and Dubar for Knecht that would be pretty good replacements. I still say we need another PG to rest Zeigler when possible.
D Stone played with B Maze Elite so he is familiar with the school and town for sure. I have always liked his game and he has done really well at Hofstra. I would for sure take him if he wanted to come.

Those two would be nice, can’t argue that.

Couple guys from our list that look to be heading elsewhere.

Terrence Edwards G James Madison 6’6” 190lbs 1 year, heading to Louisville per Sports Illustrated.
Frankie Fidler F Omaha 6’7” 200lbs 1 year, being projected to Nebraska but Wisconsin is heavily involved still.

He's a NC kid so way closer to home. At 6'8", he's getting his shot off from a guard spot and good luck shooting over him if he's locked up on you. Yeah, I kinda like this one. Seems like a fit.

VN Store

Back