I guess to summarize the signees and transfers:

Portal Transfers:
Eric Rataczak 1B/OF 6-3 215 L-R Niagara Rd16 484 overall Marlins No slot
Liam Doyle LHP 6-2 220 L-L Coastal Carolina/Ole Miss Derry, NH
Andrew Fischer 3B 6-1 205 L-R Duke/Ole Miss Manasquan, NJ
Tanner Franklin RHP 6-5 240 R-R Kennesaw Jefferson City, TN
Gavin Killen SS 5-11 180 L-R Louisville Milton, WI

Signees
Ty Southisene SS 5-9 160 R-R Basic Henderson, NV Rd 4 120 overall Cubs Slot $600,800 (likely signee)
Trey Snyder SS 6-2 187 R-R Liberty North Kearney, MO Rd 5 144 overall Mets Slot $476,200 (likely signee)
Anson Seibert RHP 6-8 235 R-R Blue Valley SW HS Overland Park, KS Rd 16 476 overall Tigers No slot
Lucas Ramirez OF/1B 6-3 194 L-R American Heritage HS Weston, FL Rd 17 502 overall Angels No slot (likely signee)
Ethan Wagner OF 6-0 205 R-R P27 Academy Jefferson City, TN Rd 17 526 overall Astros No slot (likely signee)
Chris Newstrom SS 6-2 190 R-R Chaparral Phoenix, AZ
Brennon Seigler OF 6-1 185 R-R Farragut Knoxville, TN
Manuelle Marin SS 6-1 175 R-R ESB Academy Hialeah, FL
Brooks Wright C 5-11 200 R-R Bearden Knoxville, TN
Tate Strickland RHP 6-2 172 R-R Harrison Powder Springs, GA
Robinson Martin SS 5-8 165 R-R Houston Memphis, TN
Levi Clark C 6-1 180 R-R Decatur Decatur, GA
Andrew DuMont RHP 6-1 180 R-R St. Louis University HS Wildwood, MO
Brayden Krenzel RHP/OF 6-2 175 R-R Jerome HS Dublin, OH
Tegan Kuhns RHP/OF/SS 6-3 165 S-R Chambersburg Area HS Gettysburg, PA
Beau Revord RHP/OF/C/SS 6-2 187 L-R Jefferson City Adult HS Jefferson City, TN
Ryler Smart LHP/1B/OF 6-3 200 L-L Pearland HS, Houston, TX
Arnold Abernathy SS 5-10 160 L-R North Cobb HS Kennesaw, GA
Stratton Scott RHP/1B 6-2 175 R-R Farragut HE Knoxville, TN
Dane Morrow SS 6-0 160 L-R Trinity HS Louisville, KY
Aiden Hayse RHP 5-10 140 R-R Morris Community Morris, IL
Jaxon Walker OF 5-11 180 L-L Lenoir City, TN
Jackson Jones 1B/3B/OF 6-3 215 R-R Prairie Village, KS
Nic Abraham RHP 6-5 205 L-R Elk Grove, CA

Junior College

Thomas Crabtree RHP 6-4 194 R-R Pearl River CC, MS
Ryan Combs RHP 6-3 155 R-R Polk State College, FL
Austin Breedlove RHP 6-3, 195 R-R Cleveland State CC, TN
Michael Sharman LHP 6-1 185 L-L Georgia Highlands College, GA

6 incoming players drafted. 3 in Slotted positions

I believe 4 of these draftees have announced they are going pro.

Seibert is the interesting one. I believe he will be draft eligible again as Sophomore. However, I'm not sure he pitches as a freshman. Slot is not an issued. The tigers will need to save some $ on the slotted players to get Seibert. But will he be healthy for 2025? Does he want to go to college? I bet he comes to campus. A 6-8 freshman with Frank teaching him to control his secondary pitches and adding a few mph to fastball would

I believe 1-2 of the JUCO arms will play major roles in 2025.

Lucas Ramirez is making a huge mistake going pro. But perhaps he simply did not want to go to college. I'm guessing dad will make his time in minors more comfortable than most guys face.

Overall, I see losing 4 players to the draft. 60% of the time, the first and second day guys go 100% of the time.

Ramirez and Wagner were clearly not coming if they got drafted anywhere. I'm actually surprised that both got drafted. Tigers rolling the dice on Seibert. It's hard to ignore that size and velocity. Rataczak has some thinking to do. The logical thing may be for him to go based on his background.

This is a LOT of new guys to keep happy this fall and early spring. The fall scrimmages may be bloodthirsty.

Realistically, I’d say the at minimum there’s an open outfield spot and a open DH spot needing to be filled for next year.

I think Fischer plays outfield next year somewhere. I know we have guys like Backus and Chapman, but one of these freshman really could snag it. (Jaxon Walker and Arnold Abernathy comes to mind)

You could make an argument that Catcher is also open. Levi Clark isn’t a slouch.

Realistically, I’d say the at minimum there’s an open outfield spot and a open DH spot needing to be filled for next year.

I think Fischer plays outfield next year somewhere. I know we have guys like Backus and Chapman, but one of these freshman really could snag it. (Jaxon Walker and Arnold Abernathy comes to mind)

You could make an argument that Catcher is also open. Levi Clark isn’t a slouch.
Agree. I would add 1st base.

Portal Transfers:

Signees
Ty Southisene SS 5-9 160 R-R Basic Henderson, NV Rd 4 120 overall Cubs Slot $600,800 (likely signee)
Trey Snyder SS 6-2 187 R-R Liberty North Kearney, MO Rd 5 144 overall Mets Slot $476,200 (likely signee)
Anson Seibert RHP 6-8 235 R-R Blue Valley SW HS Overland Park, KS Rd 16 476 overall Tigers No slot
Lucas Ramirez OF/1B 6-3 194 L-R American Heritage HS Weston, FL Rd 17 502 overall Angels No slot (likely signee)
Ethan Wagner OF 6-0 205 R-R P27 Academy Jefferson City, TN Rd 17 526 overall Astros No slot (likely signee)

Junior College

Seibert is the interesting one. I believe he will be draft eligible again as Sophomore. However, I'm not sure he pitches as a freshman. Slot is not an issued. The tigers will need to save some $ on the slotted players to get Seibert. But will he be healthy for 2025? Does he want to go to college? I bet he comes to campus. A 6-8 freshman with Frank teaching him to control his secondary pitches and adding a few mph to fastball would

Lucas Ramirez is making a huge mistake going pro. But perhaps he simply did not want to go to college. I'm guessing dad will make his time in minors more comfortable than most guys face.

Overall, I see losing 4 players to the draft. 60% of the time, the first and second day guys go 100% of the time.

Ramirez and Wagner were clearly not coming if they got drafted anywhere. I'm actually surprised that both got drafted. Tigers rolling the dice on Seibert. It's hard to ignore that size and velocity. Rataczak has some thinking to do. The logical thing may be for him to go based on his background.

This is a LOT of new guys to keep happy this fall and early spring. The fall scrimmages may be bloodthirsty.
Do you expect a handful of the freshman to go JUCO?

By my count, we have a roster size of 53 right now. Some guys will have to go JUCO, freshmen or otherwise.

The roster size limit was 40 last year, but that was increased in prior years due to COVID and other factors. It remains to be seen if it’s kept at 40 or reduced back down.

I'm surprised more guys anywhere don't go Juco. I think several true and redshirt freshman will have no choice but leave after fall practice. Juco is normally the best bet for such transfers.

Baseball is so different than every other sport. Juco is an integral part of college and pro development and they have huge advantages

(1) Cost- As there is no full scholarships JUCO is more inexpensive
(2) Playing time. Freshmen will get more time to play and develop
(3) Juco players are draft eligible after every season. If they go to 4- year school then they are draft eligible after every season of college baseball
(4) Juco guys can transfer to 4 year school after either season
(5) Better competition. The Juco level of competition is at least equal to and likely exceeds that of many D1 and D2 conferences.
(6) Pressure- There is less pressure at Juco level. For instance, there is no competitive pressure from upper classmen.

We see guys transfer from D1 to Juco and then back to D1. These guys need to just go Juco to start and I bet most of those guys wish they did.

During and after the fall, we'll likely see quite a few guys bail because they have to. I don't blame them. Some of those will come back eventually to LNS and play with other schools like ETSU

The Fall transfer portal date is normally December 1 - December 15. I suspect the Vols will have more enter that portal than the portal window that just closed. The guys going Juco don't reallly apply to the portal but they will likely stay to complete the fall semester before going Juco in spring. The last day of class is December 3rd with exams ending December 11th with most ending the 9th or 10th.

Spring semester starts January 21st. First official practice date is January 24th. Season start date is February 14th. It's a tight schedule.

By my count, we have a roster size of 53 right now. Some guys will have to go JUCO, freshmen or otherwise.

The roster size limit was 40 last year, but that was increased in prior years due to COVID and other factors. It remains to be seen if it’s kept at 40 or reduced back down.

I'm surprised more guys anywhere don't go Juco. I think several true and redshirt freshman will have no choice but leave after fall practice. Juco is normally the best bet for such transfers.

Baseball is so different than every other sport. Juco is an integral part of college and pro development and they have huge advantages

(3) Juco players are draft eligible after every season. If they go to 4- year school then they are draft eligible after every season of college baseball
(5) Better competition. The Juco level of competition is at least equal to and likely exceeds that of many D1 and D2 conferences.
(6) Pressure- There is less pressure at Juco level. For instance, there is no competitive pressure from upper classmen.

We see guys transfer from D1 to Juco and then back to D1. These guys need to just go Juco to start and I bet most of those guys wish they did.

During and after the fall, we'll likely see quite a few guys bail because they have to. I don't blame them. Some of those will come back eventually to LNS and play with other schools like ETSU

The Fall transfer portal date is normally December 1 - December 15. I suspect the Vols will have more enter that portal than the portal window that just closed. The guys going Juco don't reallly apply to the portal but they will likely stay to complete the fall semester before going Juco in spring. The last day of class is December 3rd with exams ending December 11th with most ending the 9th or 10th.

Spring semester starts January 21st. First official practice date is January 24th. Season start date is February 14th. It's a tight schedule.
My dad and Uncle pushed me towards JUCO, assuming I’d have been good enough to follow their path (I wasn’t) for all these same reasons.

My uncle is gone, but I’m sure he’d share my dad’s shock that JUCO isn’t nearly the MLB Pipeline and talent powerhouse it used to be.

I think it has more to do with support you get at P5 schools, mostly SEC. JUCO is basically just minor league with classes. SEC is more of a big league experience

Reactions: HeadVol77

Portal Transfers:

Signees

Junior College

Don't forget about Tanner Wiggins & Brandon Arvidson. They were both big draft risks that decided to go to UT. Wiggins was a top JUCO closer up to 99 & Arvidson is a great LHP starter that is a first round talent. I think they will be huge for us next year!

Portal Transfers:

Signees

Junior College

Tell that to the guys who chose LSU over their draft money

So a D1 freshman can join a JUCO half way through the academic year?

My dad and Uncle pushed me towards JUCO, assuming I’d have been good enough to follow their path (I wasn’t) for all these same reasons.

My uncle is gone, but I’m sure he’d share my dad’s shock that JUCO isn’t nearly the MLB Pipeline and talent powerhouse it used to be.

I think it has more to do with support you get at P5 schools, mostly SEC. JUCO is basically just minor league with classes. SEC is more of a big league experience
What’s better theses days, JUCO then go to a power 5 or mid major then go power 5? Assuming you’re not Top 250 caliber high school player.

What’s better theses days, JUCO then go to a power 5 or mid major then go power 5? Assuming you’re not Top 250 caliber high school player.

If you are not a can't miss top200 recruit, it's likely better to go somewhere you can play so you can get better, faster. Sitting on the bench of a P5 program has worked for several guys (Lipscomb, C-Mo, Kevares Tears, etc) but if you light it up in JUCO or mid major, the scouts will always find you or you could live the dream at a P5 as a transfer.

VN Store

Back