2025 Recruiting

We all do message board agenda driven fliparoos. Like being mad at Kellie for excessive subbing and subbing on a preset pattern. But being all in on the new coach's 5 for 5 every 3 min subbing. Or the example I gave about recruits. Keeps fan forums fun.

That's fine, if we truly have not contacted Brooks at all by end of day on the 9th, that would be a grave error. I just don't believe that is true at this point. More likely that Nyla has been texted but no long conversation yet.

Right and what’s wrong with doing that on day three that she’s hired? I fail to view this as an emergency.

It’s always a long shot that recruits will stay committed with a coaching change anyway.

Nyla decommitted in 5 seconds, doesn’t exactly send good vibes to the new coach.

Maybe a “still committed but weighing my options” would have been a better choice there if she TRULY wants to be a lady vol.
Cause these kids want the attention. It just is what it is. It’s the difference in recruiting top 25 athletes and everyone else. We can hate it, and I don’t love it but I can’t retire for probably 35 more years so I gotta live with it as do recruiters.

I also want to, again, caveat all my comments this morning around 2025 recruiting with my belief that she can be incredibly successful with recruits. Her personality, confidence, and humor is really compelling to people in that age range. She’s also young, so she should get it if you know what I mean. It’s just selling the system, getting the connections, and understanding that players don’t just want to win that I haven’t seen yet— doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist!

I also want to, again, caveat all my comments this morning around 2025 recruiting with my belief that she can be incredibly successful with recruits. Her personality, confidence, and humor is really compelling to people in that age range. She’s also young, so she should get it if you know what I mean. It’s just selling the system, getting the connections, and understanding that players don’t just want to win that I haven’t seen yet— doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist!
It’s kind of wild that you have to say this, but I think everyone is a little on edge here. It’s not negative to have questions. It’s not negative to take a wait and see approach while hoping for the best. I get some have absolute blind loyalty, and that is perfectly fine. I just wish that others would understand that questions doesn’t mean we want this coach to fail. If anything, I think we all want her to succeed bc that means our program is.

As someone who loved Kellie (but found some of her coaching decisions and recruiting lacking), I'll say that Kim made a first good impression on me. She struck me as exactly the combination of vibes you would expect under the circumstances: Eager, confident, a bit overwhelmed, a little uncertain, affable, determined. She seems to truly believe that she can succeed at a high level at Tennessee. I didn't hear her over- promising, and that's a good thing. It means she's realistic.

I'm still skeptical about the system until I see it in action. I know other coaches will be scheming to stop it. The problem with platooning is that you can't just find the players who best fit your system and leave them out there. You also have to have balance, meaning having to incorporate the slower players and try to hide them. You can't just bring in a weaker second line and hope to sustain the press; they'll get eaten alive.

I really dislike the track meet style of basketball of just running back and forth down the floor and flinging up the first open shot. It's a big reason I prefer college to pros and women's basketball to men's (in general, although the run 'n' gun offenses have settled down a lot). Kim's system sounds more organized than chaos. It should be more entertaining than the offenses we've seen at Tennessee based upon offensive rebounding (which won SC and undefeated championship season, btw), so we're in the wait-and-see mode.

I think Edie might actually thrive in this system.

Agree to disagree. Horston and Brooks are similar in being vital elite recruits who can lay a foundation. And Nyla was 100% going to sign that NIL. Wasn't Horston free to disregard the NIL due to the coaching change? Was that in effect then?

LOL at the irony of Brenda Frese being the first one in on Nyla.

Brenda has always had spies in the UT athletic department. She's like the KGB of women's sports.

Cause these kids want the attention. It just is what it is. It’s the difference in recruiting top 25 athletes and everyone else. We can hate it, and I don’t love it but I can’t retire for probably 35 more years so I gotta live with it as do recruiters.

Makes sense then, I despise attention seeking behavior if any kind. Let your game talk for you.

As someone who loved Kellie (but found some of her coaching decisions and recruiting lacking), I'll say that Kim made a first good impression on me. She struck me as exactly the combination of vibes you would expect under the circumstances: Eager, confident, a bit overwhelmed, a little uncertain, affable, determined. She seems to truly believe that she can succeed at a high level at Tennessee. I didn't hear her over- promising, and that's a good thing. It means she's realistic.

I'm still skeptical about the system until I see it in action. I know other coaches will be scheming to stop it. The problem with platooning is that you can't just find the players who best fit your system and leave them out there. You also have to have balance, meaning having to incorporate the slower players and try to hide them. You can't just bring in a weaker second line and hope to sustain the press; they'll get eaten alive.

I really dislike the track meet style of basketball of just running back and forth down the floor and flinging up the first open shot. It's a big reason I prefer college to pros and women's basketball to men's (in general, although the run 'n' gun offenses have settled down a lot). Kim's system sounds more organized than chaos. It should be more entertaining than the offenses we've seen at Tennessee based upon offensive rebounding (which won SC and undefeated championship season, btw), so we're in the wait-and-see mode.

I think Edie might actually thrive in this system.
I feel the same way about the offense. I just don’t want to be another Arkansas! 😩 We need screens, back doors, player movement, not run and gun all the time. What if the shots aren’t falling?

Are we going to have a big girl to get us an easy bucket?

What does her half court sets look like?

It all sounds fun and nice, but I’m really skeptical about this new system. I for one would LOVE for us to be a top 5 scoring team in the country, that’s fun. Offense sells tickets and I really would love to see The Summitt rocking again! I hope she reinvigorates the fan base. I’m interested to see the attendance for next season and if the fan base will continue to travel well.

You can also call someone and say, “Hey, Nyla and Finley. We are so appreciative of your support and desire to be a Lady Vol. There is no denying your basketball talent, and you would have been a great addition to the program. However, at this time, we don’t think it’s a great fit. Please know that we will be eagerly watching your games and rooting for your future success.” It’s relationship building 101. Radio silence is the worst possible outcome.

I believe Nyla's family said they hadn't been contacted. That's what started this discussion.

LOL another fliparoo. We want to teach the Brooks a lesson about waiting for our terms, but were fine when 14 yr old Chastain demanded (and got) a meeting w the AD.

I look for things to be taken care before COB today

Just watched a little of a game they played against James Madison. It was a lot different than Wake Forrest, at least what I got to see. The starters actually stayed in four minutes in this one before she subbed. The offense looked like any other offense to me in this game. They moved the ball around really well looking to get an open shot. They only press after they make a basket and only to half court before they fall back into what looked like a match up zone. I think she did a really good job with this team they were not good shooters. They scored a lot off steals and turnovers.

I’ll be happy to never see a forced pass into the post again
That wasn’t the problem, the problem was certain players can’t catch the ball. Notice when you force it to Rickea she can go up and grab it, but forcing it to Key or trying to bounce a pass to Key never worked.

Last edited:
That wasn’t the problem, the problem was certain players can’t catch the ball. Notice when I force it to Rickea she can go up and grab it, but forcing it to Key or trying to bounce a pass to Key never worked.
I wouldn’t define getting the ball to Rickea in space for her to operate as forced, but I get your point though

I wouldn’t define getting the ball to Rickea in space for her to operate as forced, but I get your point though
Im talking about the passes in the paint with multiple defenders around her, she can go up and get it, she has good athleticism and hands, players need to understand who they are passing to.

Reactions: spojo13
I very much agree that SEC reality will temper the "style" quickly. But I was responding to you saying it was only message board posters emphasizing the style and that's not true. The AD pretty much said that's why he hired her and the style is being pushing hard by them. Local Knox sports outlets are leading with it as well. It's the AD's chosen message, not just posters.
Watch her games

That wasn’t the problem, the problem was certain players can’t catch the ball. Notice when you force it to Rickea she can go up and grab it, but forcing it to Key or trying to bounce a pass to Key never worked.
A lot of telegraphing on post passing. I knew they were trying to do it and I am sure opponents knew it as well. A lot of the passes were just batted away or intercepted. If you know something is coming a lot easier to react.

Reactions: spojo13

VN Store

Back