2025 Recruiting

I guess Nyla wasn't good enough for CKC "system"
[...]The fact is, none of us know why there was a breakdown in communication between both parties. But for some y’all to get on this board and act as if Brooks wasn’t worthy to wear the Lady Vols jersey is diabolical. The young lady is a stood and however y’all choose to look at it we missed out on a very talented player. And for those that’s saying she couldn’t fit this system y’all aren’t wrapped to tight if y’all truly believe that.

Quoting CKC from her 8/29 press conference, on recruiting to her system:
"You have to be a very, very, very special type of player to play this way. And if you're the #3 recruit... that's just an example, or, whatever recruit, Top Ten... maybe you don't fit. Right? Maybe we just don't recruit you. But maybe you're #77 and you're perfect for us. But it has to be a style of play thing.
...you need athletes that can score, that can go downhill and transition, that want to play fast."
----------------
Beyond what the coach said of the system that she's been running--successfully--for 9 years... consider that if Nyla's game does not fit this system, then coming to Tennessee would have been a setback to her development as a player.

It sounds like Nyla will be playing in a system that fits her strengths. Family members may be struggling right now to say goodbye to a long held dream of Nyla playing in orange & blue... but once they see her at UNC and compare that to what CKC will be doing, everyone will be happy.

Doesn’t Wells have another year?
Yes if she decides to take it, I think she could also go elsewhere as that would be her covid year and she'd still be eligible to play right away.

I just hope the choice is hers and that she isn't ran off because the twins are expecting to start together in the backcourt.

Reactions: travis929
Yes if she decides to take it, I think she could also go elsewhere as that would be her covid year and she'd still be eligible to play right away.

I just hope the choice is hers and that she isn't ran off because the twins are expecting to start together in the backcourt.
I doubt they start together, but I think that will mean no elite Pg’s will come here since they’re both here and will be getting playing time.

That starts with Ruby who was transferring to Tennessee prior to her arrival. She closed the deal yes, but all of those players minus the player from Pitt had been recruited at one time or another by the previous staff and I don't know if any of these players in this class rate nearly as high as Rickea, so that may be a bit of a stretch.
I thought the biggest criticism of Kellie was that she couldn’t close the deal. She may have recruited some of these players, but they had not committed.

Quoting CKC from her 8/29 press conference, on recruiting to her system:
"You have to be a very, very, very special type of player to play this way. And if you're the #3 recruit... that's just an example, or, whatever recruit, Top Ten... maybe you don't fit. Right? Maybe we just don't recruit you. But maybe you're #77 and you're perfect for us. But it has to be a style of play thing.
...you need athletes that can score, that can go downhill and transition, that want to play fast."
----------------
Beyond what the coach said of the system that she's been running--successfully--for 9 years... consider that if Nyla's game does not fit this system, then coming to Tennessee would have been a setback to her development as a player.

It sounds like Nyla will be playing in a system that fits her strengths. Family members may be struggling right now to say goodbye to a long held dream of Nyla playing in orange & blue... but once they see her at UNC and compare that to what CKC will be doing, everyone will be happy.
Banghart is not going a final four with any players no matter who they are.

If they aren’t willing to come in and compete for playing time, they aren’t elite. Take that shade elsewhere.
Players transfer all the time because they don’t want to complete. I always say bring in the best players and let them battle it out, don’t just give playing time because a player was here 1st, we’ve made that mistake in previous seasons.

I doubt they start together, but I think that will mean no elite Pg’s will come here since they’re both here and will be getting playing time.
I'm beginning to wonder if CKC's repeated remark that "it takes time" wasn't actually about fans comprehending what "positionless basketball" means.

POSITIONLESS basketball.

The theoretical ideal would be for every player on the roster to have the same core skillset: can shoot 3s, can defend and ballhawk in the open court, can run fast and constantly, drive the ball, and rebound.

I wouldn't be surprised if a staff goal is for the LVs to average 2.5 three-point attempts for each time the opponent is able to even initiate their half-court offense.

If you're unable to visualize basketball without players in roles 1 to 5... then just wait and see, and I promise--you'll enjoy! But please withhold the criticisms about a positionless team having "too many 1s" or "not enough 5s." That's like criticizing Henry Ford's Model A's for not having a connection to hitch the horses, or a place to put the hay. If it isn't a design feature, its absence isn't a fault.

I'm beginning to wonder if CKC's repeated remark that "it takes time" wasn't actually about fans comprehending what "positionless basketball" means.

POSITIONLESS basketball.

The theoretical ideal would be for every player on the roster to have the same core skillset: can shoot 3s, can defend and ballhawk in the open court, can run fast and constantly, drive the ball, and rebound.

I wouldn't be surprised if a staff goal is for the LVs to average 2.5 three-point attempts for each time the opponent is able to even initiate their half-court offense.

If you're unable to visualize basketball without players in roles 1 to 5... then just wait and see, and I promise--you'll enjoy! But please withhold the criticisms about a positionless team having "too many 1s" or "not enough 5s." That's like criticizing Henry Ford's Model A's for not having a connection to hitch the horses, or a place to put the hay. If it isn't a design feature, its absence isn't a fault.
Blasphemy!

IMG_5577.gif

Doesn’t mean she isn’t the better player. Nyla will make a WNBA roster before the twins will. The fact is, none of us know why there was a breakdown in communication between both parties. But for some y’all to get on this board and act as if Brooks wasn’t worthy to wear the Lady Vols jersey is diabolical. The young lady is a stood and however y’all choose to look at it we missed out on a very talented player. And for those that’s saying she couldn’t fit this system y’all aren’t wrapped to tight if y’all truly believe that.
Even though we are playing positionless basketball…. the twins role is different than the role of someone lwith Nyla’s skill set. One of our previous coaches issues was that the pieces that they assembled for our roster never seemed to fit together. Kim’s transfer class seems to fit every single need. Kim is ready to cook. Let her add her own ingredients(players)… She, obviously, didn’t feel that Nyla fits since she wasn’t recruiting her. Go Lady Vols!!! I can’t wait to watch this team play.

Even though we are playing positionless basketball…. the twins role is different than the role of someone lwith Nyla’s skill set. One of our previous coaches issues was that the pieces that they assembled for our roster never seemed to fit together. Kim’s transfer class seems to fit every single need. Kim is ready to cook. Let her add her own ingredients(players)… She, obviously, didn’t feel that Nyla fits since she wasn’t recruiting her. Go Lady Vols!!! I can’t wait to watch this team play.

Previous staff could not recruit a legit Point Guard. Kim Caldwell immediately signed at least 2.

Samara Spencer will be the best PG we have had on Rocky Top in over a decade. Bet.

Kim hand picked her for her system and Spencer seems excited to be along for the ride.

I thought the biggest criticism of Kellie was that she couldn’t close the deal. She may have recruited some of these players, but they had not committed.
Her philosophy was toss out offers and hope without identifying . Big difference between this staff and the last, is the building the relationships of needs and not wants. The personal interaction has also seemed to have been upgraded to genuine by what I’ve been told.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back