Watched film of Arkansas and Florida game with a former NFL defensive coordinator.

According to him Heard is awful. Bad footwork, slow off the line and gives up easy. He is big but his technique is high school level play. Frankly he is lazy and doesn't show much drive. Whoever recruited him did not know what to look for on film. His lack of ability blows both pass and running plays.
We are in a bad spot as there are not a lot of passable alternatives.

Another poster linked a film breakdown on YouTube and the guy just highlighted all of Heards bad plays. It was pretty damning.

According to him Heard is awful. Bad footwork, slow off the line and gives up easy. He is big but his technique is high school level play. Frankly he is lazy and doesn't show much drive. Whoever recruited him did not know what to look for on film. His lack of ability blows both pass and running plays.
Doesn’t bode well for Elarbee……..

I know little to nothing about oline technique, but I know "don't give a crap" when I see it and this kid is loaded with it.

I’m half joking when I say this but I wish the staff would look at repurposing someone from the D line to play offensive tackle. Watching Jackson moi block in the 32 personnel package was fun
Like they did with Charles McRae in late 80’s. Turned him into 1st rounder after moving him to OL.

Heard has good tape from the limited LSU film and HS. He’s outta shape here, and has used poor technique. However I’ve also seen a clip of him running faster than any dude his size should ever be running to block down the field for D Samps TD that put us up 17-10. I think it’s unfair to say the kid “gives up easy”. He’s been injured this year and he’s clearly not in game shape. Now is that because he’s lazy? Maybe, our coaches need to get the best out of him, the potential is there.

Last edited:
They said the same about Darnell wright. Heards not even been here a year. Maybe there’s hope for him yet.

It’s tough projecting how qbs and olinemen will pan out. That’s nil tho you take a risk by paying guys. Hopefully he’s just in that weird coming back from injury phase and gets better. He’s had flashes.

I’m half joking when I say this but I wish the staff would look at repurposing someone from the D line to play offensive tackle. Watching Jackson moi block in the 32 personnel package was fun
We have Larry Johnson 3. Also, Dayne Davis. to me the most logical thing is to move Heard inside. Johnson to RT, and DD to Left.

Campbel and Johnson already split snaps.

Heard has good tape from the limited LSU film and HS. He’s outta shape here, and has used poor technique. However I’ve also seen a clip of him running faster than any dude his size should ever be running to block down the field for D Samps TD that put us up 17-10. I think it’s unfair to say the kid “gives up easy”. He’s been injured this year and he’s clearly not in game shape. Now is that because he’s lazy? Maybe, our coaches need to get the best out of him, the potential is there.
I was curious on that part. How did he look at LSU. Was he this bad down there. Have to believe there was something good that was seen. We weren’t the only team trying to get him in the portal.

Robinson and Moi both played offensive snaps against Florida, when we converted the 4th down deep in our own territory and when we scored in overtime.
Big difference between blocking for a 4th and short and trying to hold up in pass blocking. It takes time to learn the footwork and technique to pass block effectively. To think that a D-lineman can just flip to O-line and effectively pass block is naive.

Big difference between blocking for a 4th and short and trying to hold up in pass blocking. It takes time to learn the footwork and technique to pass block effectively. To think that a D-lineman can just flip to O-line and effectively pass block is naive.
I think our coaches have the right idea about how these guys can help the offensive line, I really don't want them trying to pass block.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
In some years past, specifically during the Majors era, there were several times when this happened mid-season. From what I recall, it turned out fairly decent.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I never heard anyone saying these type things about Wright, even when he was playing as a true freshman.
They absolutely did about Wanya and Wright. The WVU game opener is truly the worst Tennessee OL performance I’ve ever seen. OT is a very hard position to learn, even for gifted linemen.

VN Store

Back