Watched film of Arkansas and Florida game with a former NFL defensive coordinator.

You are right but I don't know what OTs have to be so big. They almost always go up against 240-280 lb guys who are more fast than just strong.
Tackles need to be big and quick on their feet. They get not only the edge rushers but often a blitzing outside linebacker/corner.

Sometimes all they can get is a piece of a guy coming at full speed. If he's 220lbs and got a head of steam and you're 250lbs, you're not going to do well unless you get him head on.

If you're 325lbs, that 220lb linebacker with a running start will still know he hit something even if he just gets a shove or a shoulder.

I'm hearing he is more suited to play guard. Not sure why he's at tackle.
That’s where he wants to play because LT’s make more money in the NFL than guards do. He left LSU because he wasn’t going to start at tackle (left or right). Too many good ones ahead of him and he saw it. We are thin at tackle and he saw an opportunity. He’s gonna have to lose some weight to be a good one for us.

Heard has good tape from the limited LSU film and HS. He’s outta shape here, and has used poor technique. However I’ve also seen a clip of him running faster than any dude his size should ever be running to block down the field for D Samps TD that put us up 17-10. I think it’s unfair to say the kid “gives up easy”. He’s been injured this year and he’s clearly not in game shape. Now is that because he’s lazy? Maybe, our coaches need to get the best out of him, the potential is there.
I saw that too...Was really moving well for a biiigg man...He played better in the second half.

Reactions: ShelbourneVol
I’ve wondered if Ellarbee/Heupel missed an opportunity to work Karic at LT or RT. He has the best feet of any on our OL along with Cooper. Texas used Karic at Tackle and as a blocking TE.

Maybe the coaches worked Karic at Tackle during a Spring or Fall camp, and weren’t impressed. I don’t recall that. Believe he was rehabbing another injury this Spring. He’s performed pretty well at LG this Fall. But, obviously we need help at LT now.

Longer term, I hope a lot of Heard’s issue is residual knee/ankle injuries + conditioning, and time and hard work will help him with both. I’d caution against criticizing him unless it’s KNOWN he isn’t working hard.
Heupel has been very successful at recruiting players that fit our culture so I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now on Heard

According to him Heard is awful. Bad footwork, slow off the line and gives up easy. He is big but his technique is high school level play. Frankly he is lazy and doesn't show much drive. Whoever recruited him did not know what to look for on film. His lack of ability blows both pass and running plays.
You think it’s a talent issue or conditioning?

There was one clip of him in the Oklahoma game where he got lulled to sleep and the edge ran around him without getting touched. I know missed assignments would be a major concern with a younger freshman/ redshirt freshman option, but you’d have to think we’d be better off even if they got run over half the time.
Thought he was out against Oklahoma

Reactions: RockyTop140
It’s year 4 and we are STILL having OL development issues. But we all know Heupel isn’t getting rid of Elarbee. So I fully expect next year we go into the season just like this year. Wondering about the OL 🙄🙄

Correct, a superior talent for sure. I believe one of the mid 90’s rosters listing him at safety but he never played a down there. His time on the field for us was at LB and what a LB he was.

I wish I could remember the other RB that switched to LB that excelled. I don’t think it was Raynoch Thompson.
I believe that would be Alvin Toles. Also, who can forget Jason Layman under Majors. He wanted to play defensive tackle, Majors wanted him on offense. Let him play one game on defense, but would not let him substitute out. Next week and rest of time he played offensive line. Had a good pro career.

I’m half joking when I say this but I wish the staff would look at repurposing someone from the D line to play offensive tackle. Watching Jackson moi block in the 32 personnel package was fun
I think Moi goes about 6’3” ish and looks to be around 310 pounds with incredibly quick feet. I think he would be tough to get around if I’m an edge rusher looking to beat him on the outside and no way I am going to complete a swim move to the inside either. Might be a serious option. I know he would have some technique to learn but with his footwork and the fact that he has a motor and plays angry would help. Guaranteed he would not casually stroll up to the line and give half effort. He plays with pride and a warrior mindset.

VN Store

Back