Watched film of Arkansas and Florida game with a former NFL defensive coordinator.

I'm hearing he is more suited to play guard. Not sure why he's at tackle.
$$$ and career longevity. He was evaluated high by a lot of schools, and I am sure his agent could be encouraging him on a certain path.

LTs in the NFL make a lot of money and typically have long careers because they start at tackle, then move down to guard as they get a little slower. Switching to guard now limits his earning potential a little bit and potentially his longevity as guard is very much an anvil position where you get smashed each play by either a big DT or LB blitzing.

Reactions: Delmar
There’s a clip out there of CJH burning a hole thru Heard as he was walking off the field after a lazy play. Heard stared straight down. Hopefully he gets with the program.

There’s a clip out there of CJH burning a hole thru Heard as he was walking off the field after a lazy play. Heard stared straight down. Hopefully he gets with the program.
If that happened, sit his rear. I don’t care. You lose a lot of credibility as a leader if you tolerate that, especially from a kid who isn’t even producing , when you’ve got others behind him laying it all out there when given the chance.

What years did we do that?
Battle did it a couple of times if memory serves. Can't recall the names but Fulmer also did did it. It was part of his philosophy. Take a DL that wasn't able to really break into the lineup on defense and move him to the offensive side. They'd take big physical safeties and RBs and make 'em LBs who could flat out run. They took Whitten off the DL and made him a TE. The difference being that kids back then weren't able to get upset about a position change and transfer as easily. These days kids are locked in on what they want to play and if they don't get their way, they'll pack up and move on.

Battle did it a couple of times if memory serves. Can't recall the names but Fulmer also did did it. It was part of his philosophy. Take a DL that wasn't able to really break into the lineup on defense and move him to the offensive side. They'd take big physical safeties and RBs and make 'em LBs who could flat out run. They took Whitten off the DL and made him a TE. The difference being that kids back then weren't able to get upset about a position change and transfer as easily. These days kids are locked in on what they want to play and if they don't get their way, they'll pack up and move on.
That was before they played a down in a game. Fulmer didn't move that many DL to OL.

Heard looks out of shape. Gut is hanging over his belt. He had an ankle injury and could have ignored conditioning in rehab. IDK!!
O Linemen are never going to be ballerinas. They're supposed to be somewhat fat and hard to move. There are stories of retired NFL O Linemen losing nearly 100lbs after retiring because their in season training table is: Yes, eat that. Eat two, actually.

Heard is big but it's an effort issue. If he's hurt and he's the best we've got at LT, so be it and UT suffers until he gets right. If he's lazy, that's on coaching and UT suffers until that improves or Heard is replaced.

Something ain't right. Nobody who knows is talking, even remotely mentioning Heard. None of the fine journalistic talent in Knoxville is positing a question like, "There has been some question about the performance at left tackle. Is Heard still dinged up?" But you get what you get from the "media insiders" in Knoxville, which is very little effort also.

There was one clip of him in the Oklahoma game where he got lulled to sleep and the edge ran around him without getting touched. I know missed assignments would be a major concern with a younger freshman/ redshirt freshman option, but you’d have to think we’d be better off even if they got run over half the time.

I know it’s the world we’re living in currently in college football, but the fact that we were 3 games into the season and Heard allowed his agent to have an impact on our season doesn’t sit well. You’re the LT. Your job is to protect our most important player and you allegedly have slow rolled your recovery? That’s not ok. NIL or no NIL that’s not the culture that has been promoted since CJH has arrived.
Unsubstantiated rumors about his agent holding him out due to injury is not something that should be celebrated on this board, but oh well im not a mod….

Watched film of Arkansas and Florida game with a former grizzly bear.​

He claims Lance Heard is at least 51% grizzly bear, and has bear-like abilities, including the ability to talk to animals. He said whoever recruited him was also part bear.

View attachment 687311
Grizzly bears don't talk to animals. They maul them, and eat them. They've also been known to partially bury their kill, and return for leftovers. The males of the species are serial child (cub) killers as well.All that aside, they're fine fishermen, so to speak. Now, as for Heard, could be he's just not listening.

Heard has good tape from the limited LSU film and HS. He’s outta shape here, and has used poor technique. However I’ve also seen a clip of him running faster than any dude his size should ever be running to block down the field for D Samps TD that put us up 17-10. I think it’s unfair to say the kid “gives up easy”. He’s been injured this year and he’s clearly not in game shape. Now is that because he’s lazy? Maybe, our coaches need to get the best out of him, the potential is there.
I think it. Is fair to say he has missed a lot os blocks and graded out the worst of any offensive who played against Florida. his play essentially cost us the game against Arkansas and almost the game against Florida.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Grizzly bears don't talk to animals. They maul them, and eat them. They've also been known to partially bury their kill, and return for leftovers. The males of the species are serial child (cub) killers as well.All that aside, they're fine fishermen, so to speak. Now, as for Heard, could be he's just not listening.

What years did we do that?
1990’s for sure. Safety’s would become LB’s. LB’s would become D-ends. DL would switch to OL. I even recall a few RB’s becoming LB’s and having nice college careers.

If I recall correctly Fulmer liked to move DL to OL because he thought DL players had mean streaks that OL didn’t have.

Now, with that said above, all of that was not a rampant practice but happened often enough that it’s stuck in mind over the years. For sure more than I recall other teams doing it.

1990’s for sure. Safety’s would become LB’s. LB’s would become D-ends. DL would switch to OL. I even recall a few RB’s becoming LB’s and having nice college careers.

If I recall correctly Fulmer liked to move DL to OL because he thought DL players had mean streaks that OL didn’t have.

Now, with that said above, all of that was not a rampant practice but happened often enough that it’s stuck in mind over the years. For sure more than I recall other teams doing it.
I remember the RBs switching to LBs frequently when they got onto campus. DL to OL wasn't as prevalent. We were recruiting some high level OL in those days

According to him Heard is awful. Bad footwork, slow off the line and gives up easy. He is big but his technique is high school level play. Frankly he is lazy and doesn't show much drive. Whoever recruited him did not know what to look for on film. His lack of ability blows both pass and running plays.
The person that recruited him probably thought they could get the lazy out of him and motivate him to do better. Most coaches think this way i think .

I remember the RBs switching to LBs frequently when they got onto campus. DL to OL wasn't as prevalent. We were recruiting some high level OL in those days
If you recall, Eric Westmoreland and Al Wilson were secondary players when they got the campus. I think Westmoreland switched to LB his sophomore year but I’m not sure about Al Wilson. I don’t think he ever played a down outside of LB. At least I don’t recall.

You’re right about the DL to OL. It wasn’t prevalent. If I recall it mostly happened from DL to LT or Center. I don’t recall a DL that move to Guard or RT.

If you recall, Eric Westmoreland and Al Wilson were secondary players when they got the campus. I think Westmoreland switched to LB his sophomore year but I’m not sure about Al Wilson. I don’t think he ever played a down outside of LB. At least I don’t recall.

You’re right about the DL to OL. It wasn’t prevalent. If I recall it mostly happened from DL to LT or Center. I don’t recall a DL that move to Guard or RT.
Westmoreland was an all state RB in Jasper. Wilson was moved to LB the minute he stepped foot in campus.

VN Store

Back