Watched film of Arkansas and Florida game with a former NFL defensive coordinator.

I’ve wondered if Ellarbee/Heupel missed an opportunity to work Karic at LT or RT. He has the best feet of any on our OL along with Cooper. Texas used Karic at Tackle and as a blocking TE.

Maybe the coaches worked Karic at Tackle during a Spring or Fall camp, and weren’t impressed. I don’t recall that. Believe he was rehabbing another injury this Spring. He’s performed pretty well at LG this Fall. But, obviously we need help at LT now.

Longer term, I hope a lot of Heard’s issue is residual knee/ankle injuries + conditioning, and time and hard work will help him with both. I’d caution against criticizing him unless it’s KNOWN he isn’t working hard.

I’m half joking when I say this but I wish the staff would look at repurposing someone from the D line to play offensive tackle. Watching Jackson moi block in the 32 personnel package was fun
Used to be that way. UT would take all the DL we could lay hands on and those who didn't cut the mustard moved to the OL. Of course, the game was far different back then.

They absolutely did about Wanya and Wright. The WVU game opener is truly the worst Tennessee OL performance I’ve ever seen. OT is a very hard position to learn, even for gifted linemen.
Yep and very, very few OTs are going to start in this league. Those that do will be diving into the deep end and it will be a tough go. I can't imagine a true freshman trying to block that Arky monster or Pierce. Asking way, way too much of a teenager right out of HS.

According to him Heard is awful. Bad footwork, slow off the line and gives up easy. He is big but his technique is high school level play. Frankly he is lazy and doesn't show much drive. Whoever recruited him did not know what to look for on film. His lack of ability blows both pass and running plays.

WHOEVER RECRUITED and whoever signed off on the deal with Heard. Epic incompetence.

Heard has good tape from the limited LSU film and HS. He’s outta shape here, and has used poor technique. However I’ve also seen a clip of him running faster than any dude his size should ever be running to block down the field for D Samps TD that put us up 17-10. I think it’s unfair to say the kid “gives up easy”. He’s been injured this year and he’s clearly not in game shape. Now is that because he’s lazy? Maybe, our coaches need to get the best out of him, the potential is there.
You can't teach 6'6'' and 340 pounds. Heard played better in the second half. This was really only his second full game.He definitely needs to improve on his footwork. Right now it is hard to tell if he is just lazy or out of shape. He also may be a little overwhelmed with the offensive scheme, with his injuries he hasn't had a lot of practice time in it.

I was curious on that part. How did he look at LSU. Was he this bad down there. Have to believe there was something good that was seen. We weren’t the only team trying to get him in the portal.
LSU duped UT. Looking at Heard, he has no butt. NONE. You can't have good balance without some Butt. You can't be powerful without some butt. So whoever evaluated Heard doesn't know simple anatomy.

I know it’s the world we’re living in currently in college football, but the fact that we were 3 games into the season and Heard allowed his agent to have an impact on our season doesn’t sit well. You’re the LT. Your job is to protect our most important player and you allegedly have slow rolled your recovery? That’s not ok. NIL or no NIL that’s not the culture that has been promoted since CJH has arrived.

According to him Heard is awful. Bad footwork, slow off the line and gives up easy. He is big but his technique is high school level play. Frankly he is lazy and doesn't show much drive. Whoever recruited him did not know what to look for on film. His lack of ability blows both pass and running plays.
I'm hearing he is more suited to play guard. Not sure why he's at tackle.

Big difference between blocking for a 4th and short and trying to hold up in pass blocking. It takes time to learn the footwork and technique to pass block effectively. To think that a D-lineman can just flip to O-line and effectively pass block is naive.
It’s certainly a tough switch, but it has been done with moderate success on occasion. Not ideal, but not totally naive.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Haven't said anything that has not been already been said on the UT daily/weekly sports shows (Sports Talk J, Locked on Vols, Dave Hooker, Volcast, ETC). However , I still think Nico is our guy! Much more doubt about Heard! :oops:
Post wasn't exclusive to you. It references a history of attitudes and conduct on VN.

I know it’s the world we’re living in currently in college football, but the fact that we were 3 games into the season and Heard allowed his agent to have an impact on our season doesn’t sit well. You’re the LT. Your job is to protect our most important player and you allegedly have slow rolled your recovery? That’s not ok. NIL or no NIL that’s not the culture that has been promoted since CJH has arrived.
Made a movie about it.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
He's the best option we have. I hope he can make some improvements.
Most of his problems can be coached up, if he wants them to be.

Howevwr, IMO far less than expert opinion, he may not be quick enough off the ball to play at this level. I am not sure that can be coached out of him.

With all that said, he may still be dealing with the injury and recovery of it and once he is healed, all of this will be a distant memory. This is my hope.

I’ve wondered if Ellarbee/Heupel missed an opportunity to work Karic at LT or RT. He has the best feet of any on our OL along with Cooper. Texas used Karic at Tackle and as a blocking TE.

Maybe the coaches worked Karic at Tackle during a Spring or Fall camp, and weren’t impressed. I don’t recall that. Believe he was rehabbing another injury this Spring. He’s performed pretty well at LG this Fall. But, obviously we need help at LT now.

Longer term, I hope a lot of Heard’s issue is residual knee/ankle injuries + conditioning, and time and hard work will help him with both. I’d caution against criticizing him unless it’s KNOWN he isn’t working hard.
That's true. Could've plugged Lampley into LG. Maybe they saw something in practice that Heard isn't delivering in game

Reactions: VolsSince78
Post wasn't exclusive to you. It references a history of attitudes and conduct on VN.
Actually only the last sentence was in reference to my personal opinion (Sorry should have started a new paragraph for it). In the first sentence, I was referring to the Vol fans in general. I should have started it like this... They haven't.....

My bad!

VN Store

Back