7.8 Earthquake - Turkey

I honestly don't know why you bother living in the U.S. when you clearly believe we are such an evil country, and you clearly have identified so many far better options.
I was born here. My family has bones buried here. Family members fought for liberty and freedom on this soil (as well as overseas in these useless conflicts that had nothing to do with Main St USA) and I think we can be far better than what we are right now.

I was born here. My family has bones buried here. Family members fought for liberty and freedom on this soil (as well as overseas in these useless conflicts that had nothing to do with Main St USA) and I think we can be far better than what we are right now.
Just curious, if you say those wars had nothing to do with main st USA so we shouldn’t have been in them then what’s different here? What does sending aid to Syria do for main st USA?

Reactions: InVOLuntary
No mention was a made of a single company. The implication of the article is it’s clearly wide spread across multiple contractors. And yes Erdogan is an authoritarian POS. You’re well acquainted with those types they’re your favorites.

ADIYAMAN, Turkey—Authorities arrested dozens of contractors, architects and engineers connected to buildings that collapsed in this week’s earthquakes, Turkish state media reported Saturday, as a top United Nations official warned the death toll could double from the current tally of over 24,000 in Turkey and Syria.

The arrests came as Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan faces growing public anger at the pace of rescue efforts. One of the detained was Mehmet Yasar Coskun, the contractor who built Ronesans Residence, a destroyed building in the southern Turkish province of Hatay, state media reported.

Mr. Coskun, who was detained at Istanbul Airport, said in a statement he had followed all laws and building codes in constructing the apartment building.
Makes you wonder if there’s any building code that requires a building to withstand a 7.8 then a 7.5 after?

Yeah the severity of this one probably predetermined the outcome for sure.
Seems like they are looking to place blame quickly without evidence of actual guilt. Who knows, they may have had some construction that wasn’t done correctly. It’s a wait n see thing.

Seems like they are looking to place blame quickly without evidence of actual guilt. Who knows, they may have had some construction that wasn’t done correctly. It’s a wait n see thing.
It’s already come out that Erdogan allowed some developers to pay a nominal fine and skirt building codes to facilitate construction investment in quickly building housing some of which is near the epicenter. So it was rather easy for Erdogan’s government to charge some developers as they had previously knowingly encouraged them to skirt the codes. Whether that’s the ones that got charged or not I don’t know.

That's what they are doing and of course we're not above doing the same here.

Reactions: NurseGoodVol
It’s already come out that Erdogan allowed some developers to pay a nominal fine and skirt building codes to facilitate construction investment in quickly building housing some of which is near the epicenter. So it was rather easy for Erdogan’s government to charge some developers as they had previously knowingly encouraged them to skirt the codes. Whether that’s the ones that got charged or not I don’t know.
That’s wonderful. Erdogan is then responsible but arresting others. It’s so him.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
Just curious, if you say those wars had nothing to do with main st USA so we shouldn’t have been in them then what’s different here? What does sending aid to Syria do for main st USA?
My major point has been lifting sanctions, not necessarily about actually sending aid. The tweet I posted did point out the disparities in how we handle things vs the Axis of Evil nations.

My preference would be to lift sanctions and let the people in that region or anyone else do the heavy lifting without fear of sanctions retribution by the USA. Meanwhile, the USA has thrown enough money around the globe to where we can sit out on a few of these and take care of things right here at home.

I've been very clear and consistent in that view. But apparently, people have an issue with that.

Reactions: hUTch2002
My major point has been lifting sanctions, not necessarily about actually sending aid. The tweet I posted did point out the disparities in how we handle things vs the Axis of Evil nations.

My preference would be to lift sanctions and let the people in that region or anyone else do the heavy lifting without fear of sanctions retribution by the USA. Meanwhile, the USA has thrown enough money around the globe to where we can sit out on a few of these and take care of things right here at home.

I've been very clear and consistent in that view. But apparently, people have an issue with that.
Understood. Thanks for the clarification!

VN Store

Back