7.8 Earthquake - Turkey

In the past, we have oftentimes provided the logistics to get the supplies there but did not give the supplies in areas we disagreed with. In disasters like this, very few have the massive capability to get things from one place to another like the US military.

In this way, technically, we did not give anything but actually, were probably the most critical element to the aid effort.

I learned this first hand when I was helping a "sensitive country" get help from the US and UN for a similar disaster some 10-15 years ago and that what was done. The food bags were from the UN so the locals didnt baulk but they came in on US Chinooks.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
In the past, we have oftentimes provided the logistics to get the supplies there but did not give the supplies in areas we disagreed with. In disasters like this, very few have the massive capability to get things from one place to another like the US military.

In this way, technically, we did not give anything but actually, were probably the most critical element to the aid effort.

I learned this first hand when I was helping a "sensitive country" get help from the US and UN for a similar disaster some 10-15 years ago and that what was done. The food bags were from the UN so the locals didnt baulk but they came in on US Chinooks.
The US military is usually one of the first groups on the ground in situations like this. But they get off the transports bearing handfuls of medical supplies and non perishable food not rifles. A carrier can dock and immediately provide emergency power generation capability and water purification capability. We do it every time in situations like this. And we should continue to do so as we are the most wealthy and prosperous country on earth.

Turkish police arresting contractors, architects and structural engineers after a 7.8 and 7.5 earthquakes. Now, tell me who’s going to sign up to rebuild everything knowing THEY will be arrested next time a massive earthquake strikes and building collapse again?

After Earthquake, Turkey Arrests Dozens Connected to Collapsed Buildings — The Wall Street Journal
Pay wall... but looks like the first few paragraphs suggest the engineers and architects for a specific building were arrested. Something more to the story if it is only these specific people and not widespread.

Pay wall... but looks like the first few paragraphs suggest the engineers and architects for a specific building were arrested. Something more to the story if it is only these specific people and not widespread.

Wouldn't you say that is rather hasty? Ed is authoritarian

there might be something very much too it. Remember in Florida when they busted teh builders that were taking the hurricane braces in attics out of homes "after" inspection to put in others to save costs? Wouldn't be surprised if something similar wasn't done here. If Turkey could afford it, they'd do well to have Japanese architecture firms design their future apartment buildings. They seem to be best at this.

We have no idea what the issue was. Again... pay wall. Lets wait to see if there is more to this than a clickbait headline.
No mention was a made of a single company. The implication of the article is it’s clearly wide spread across multiple contractors. And yes Erdogan is an authoritarian POS. You’re well acquainted with those types they’re your favorites.

ADIYAMAN, Turkey—Authorities arrested dozens of contractors, architects and engineers connected to buildings that collapsed in this week’s earthquakes, Turkish state media reported Saturday, as a top United Nations official warned the death toll could double from the current tally of over 24,000 in Turkey and Syria.

The arrests came as Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan faces growing public anger at the pace of rescue efforts. One of the detained was Mehmet Yasar Coskun, the contractor who built Ronesans Residence, a destroyed building in the southern Turkish province of Hatay, state media reported.

Mr. Coskun, who was detained at Istanbul Airport, said in a statement he had followed all laws and building codes in constructing the apartment building.

ADIYAMAN, Turkey—Authorities arrested dozens of contractors, architects and engineers connected to buildings that collapsed in this week’s earthquakes, Turkish state media reported Saturday, as a top United Nations official warned the death toll could double from the current tally of over 24,000 in Turkey and Syria.

The arrests came as Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan faces growing public anger at the pace of rescue efforts. One of the detained was Mehmet Yasar Coskun, the contractor who built Ronesans Residence, a destroyed building in the southern Turkish province of Hatay, state media reported.

Mr. Coskun, who was detained at Istanbul Airport, said in a statement he had followed all laws and building codes in constructing the apartment building.

Martin Griffiths, the U.N.’s emergency relief coordinator, said the death toll was likely to rise significantly. “I think it is difficult to estimate precisely as we need to get under the rubble but I’m sure it will double or more,” he told broadcaster Sky News during a visit to the quake-hit city of Adana in Turkey.

Officials said the likelihood of finding more survivors was dwindling.

“We are still looking for survivors. But there is probably very, very little chance of finding survivors six days after this catastrophe, especially in the harsh winter conditions of Syria right now,” said a spokesman for the White Helmets, a Syrian civil defense group.

In Turkey, the Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency, which is overseeing the response to the earthquake, announced on Thursday the end of search-and-rescue efforts in the southeastern provinces of Sanliurfa and Kilis.

During a visit Saturday to the southeastern city of Diyarbakir, Mr. Erdogan said the government is redirecting search-and-rescue teams to Kahramanmaras, Hatay and Adiyaman, areas close to the epicenter of the quake.

In Turkey, the death toll of 21,043 has surpassed that of a 1999 earthquake that devastated the country and helped propel Mr. Erdogan to power.

Authorities in Syria have reported 3,553 deaths. Thousands more were injured in Monday’s magnitude 7.8 and 7.5 earthquakes.

The political fallout from the disaster could be significant for Mr. Erdogan, who is facing a tough re-election bid this year after 20 years in power.

Mr. Erdogan has promised to rebuild every home destroyed within a year. On Saturday, he said the government has allocated 100 billion Turkish lira ($5.3 billion) for reconstruction.

“We mobilized all resources of our state,” he said. “Trust us, have faith in us.”

The government’s efforts have been hampered by the sheer size of the affected area, the extent of the devastation and cold winter weather.

Assistance is pouring into the country, with about 141,000 people from 94 countries participating in the rescue effort. So many aircraft bearing aid are arriving in Turkey that some are being diverted hundreds of miles due to a dearth of landing spots.

The country’s disaster-management agency said Friday it had evacuated 75,780 people from quake-hit regions.

Teams sent by Austria and Germany said they had suspended rescue operations due to an increasingly volatile security situation in areas hit by the earthquakes, news organizations in the two countries reported.

No mention was a made of a single company. The implication of the article is it’s clearly wide spread across multiple contractors. And yes Erdogan is an authoritarian POS. You’re well acquainted with those types they’re your favorites.

I read in another article elsewhere that Turkey was lax on actually enforcing building codes after the 99 earthquake. Contractors or whoever needed to could just pay a fee to the Turkish govt for a building code exemption and the building would not have to be constructed using the more strict building regulations put in place after the 1999 earthquake.

I read in another article elsewhere that Turkey was lax on actually enforcing building codes after the 99 earthquake. Often times contractors or whoever needed to would just pay a fee to the Turkish govt for a building code exemption and the building would not have to be constructed using the more strict building regulations put in place after the 1999 earthquake.
Oh I can absolutely believe that happened. I just don’t believe they’ve had any chance yet to determine that’s what happened

Reactions: Orangeburst
So I guess there's video of Erdogan admitting that he let builders get around earthquake safety regulations. If he wins this election, I'm not sure why even bother having another before he dies.

So I guess there's video of Erdogan admitting that he let builders get around earthquake safety regulations. If he wins this election, I'm not sure why even bother having another before he dies.
Huh. Well since they were all into arresting the builders and engineers for circumventing building codes it only seems natural they’d also arrest the bureaucrat who enabled them right?

VN Store

Back