A.D. Danny White; discussion thread

Fair point but on the other hand, that is not what White said in his introductory press conference. In fact, he clearly talked about competing for titles now!!!!!

I had been taking those statements with a proverbial grain of salt but what if he really meant what he said?
Had he come out and said, “we hope to be competitive and maybe get somewhere around middle of the SEC.”You would have found fault in that too.

Show me an AD who doesn’t talk about winning and I’ll show you a losing program.

Had he come out and said, “we hope to be competitive and maybe get somewhere around middle of the SEC.”You would have found fault in that too.

Show me an AD who doesn’t talk about winning and I’ll show you a losing program.
It was the "not on a 2, 3, or 4 year plan" that was the over reach. We are exactly on a 2, 3, or 4 yr plan.

Reactions: brittannica
Just an observation from this mornings current UT sports teams.

BaseB team ranked 3rd in country, high NCAA seed assured. Good probability of making CWS.
SB team just won SEC championship for 2nd yr in a row, Hosting regionals and good probability of making CWS.
Women's Tennis playing 1st NCAA tourney game today.

For those of us who are DW supporters, doesn't seem to me we need to post much of anything on here defending him from DW haters. The TN sports teams doing all the talking. Being competitive and competing at the highest level is all he asks. Seems most UT coaches get the message.

Just an observation from this mornings current UT sports teams.

BaseB team ranked 3rd in country, high NCAA seed assured. Good probability of making CWS.
SB team just won SEC championship for 2nd yr in a row, Hosting regionals and good probability of making CWS.
Women's Tennis playing 1st NCAA tourney game today.

For those of us who are DW supporters, doesn't seem to me we need to post much of anything on here defending him from DW haters. The TN sports teams doing all the talking. Being competitive and competing at the highest level is all he asks. Seems most UT coaches get the message.

We're were competing at a high level in softball, tennis and swimming long before White arrived. He didn't hire the baseball coach. You think White
is the only AD in America who wants programs to succeed? I don't have anything against White--but the coaches deserve the credit, not him. Weekly deserves the credit for the success of our softball program--and I really think that Ralph's retirement was a major factor in the softball program's resurgence. He and Karen deserve credit for building a power program--but IMO once he got well up in age he became more of a problem than an asset, and it's simply better to have one leader and not two, who are not always going to be on the same page. I don't think it's an accident that after fall back a bit for a few years, we suddenly started getting our mojo back when Karen took full control of the program.

We're were competing at a high level in softball, tennis and swimming long before White arrived. He didn't hire the baseball coach. You think White
is the only AD in America who wants programs to succeed? I don't have anything against White--but the coaches deserve the credit, not him. Weekly deserves the credit for the success of our softball program--and I really think that Ralph's retirement was a major factor in the softball program's resurgence. He and Karen deserve credit for building a power program--but IMO once he got well up in age he became more of a problem than an asset, and it's simply better to have one leader and not two, who are not always going to be on the same page. I don't think it's an accident that after fall back a bit for a few years, we suddenly started getting our mojo back when Karen took full control of the program.

Don't disagree with anything you said. My post was directed at the DW haters who are still trashing him over the Kellie firing and looking for anything they can to discredit him for his new BB hire. Yes the coaches and players deserve all the credit and he sends them congrats when warranted. He just supports them behind the scenes which is the way it should be.

And let me remind you UT has won the SEC All Sports trophy last 2 yrs. TN had never won that previously so DW does in fact have a positive influence on the sports programs.

White didn’t hire Vitello, he just kept Vitello when others came calling. The softball team never won back to back, but here we are. Thank you Danny White

That's what every AD does. That's his job.
No kidding…. some are really good at their job and some aren’t…. The ones before him werent good at the job at all….This is the best our athletic programs have been in years…. We have won back to back all sports trophies and it is thanks to DW, Plowman, and Boyd.

No kidding…. some are really good at their job and some aren’t…. The ones before him werent good at the job at all….This is the best our athletic programs have been in years…. We have won back to back all sports trophies and it is thanks to DW, Plowman, and Boyd.

Wrong: It's thanks to our coaches--many of whom have been around for quite some time and have been good for a long time.
Barnes, Weekly, Kredich and Woodruff, to name four, have been excellent coaches and have had strong programs for many years. White didn't throw some magic dust on their heads and suddenly turn them into good coaches. Our men's tennis program has been top 5/10 for 20 years. Barnes and Kredich have been winners for a long time. Coaches make programs--not athletic directors. Vitello has made the baseball program--not White. White didn't hire him and I doubt some White pep talk suddenly made our baseball program good. White has had the good fortune to have been hired at a time when we had a confluence of good seasons in multiple sports. I'm not hating on White, just trying to disabuse some of the silly notion that some magic White Pixie Dust has improved our programs. Our softball program has been a power for 15+ years.

Wrong: It's thanks to our coaches--many of whom have been around for quite some time and have been good for a long time.
Barnes, Weekly, Kredich and Woodruff, to name four, have been excellent coaches and have had strong programs for many years. White didn't throw some magic dust on their heads and suddenly turn them into good coaches. Our men's tennis program has been top 5/10 for 20 years. Barnes and Kredich have been winners for a long time. Coaches make programs--not athletic directors. Vitello has made the baseball program--not White. White didn't hire him and I doubt some White pep talk suddenly made our baseball program good. White has had the good fortune to have been hired at a time when we had a confluence of good seasons in multiple sports. I'm not hating on White, just trying to disabuse some of the silly notion that some magic White Pixie Dust has improved our programs. Our softball program has been a power for 15+ years.
White made a coaching hire that lifted the football program from the doldrums. He is now getting a massive halo effect among those who care most about the football program, even though many other programs were in pretty good shape before White came on the job. And football is what matters most in the college sport’s landscape. No AD stays on the job for having a national champ women’s volleyball team. It’s football that drives the assessment. So, no amount of evidence or rational argument will alter the halo effect.

Praising our administration is not meant to downplay the excellent coaches on our campus. Barnes made his first elite eight, Kredich had swimmings too two SEC swimming finishes( we did finish 3rd one other time)…. Weekly has won back to back SEC championships for the first time ever. Woodruff had his all time high wins since this admin took over. We have also won back to back all sports championships for the first time in school history. What complaints could we possibly have with the job they are doing?

DW is considered a top 5 AD in college sports. We are extremely lucky to have them representing our university. I was tired of the previous admins embarrassing the University.

Reactions: SmokinBob
White made a coaching hire that lifted the football program from the doldrums. He is now getting a massive halo effect among those who care most about the football program, even though many other programs were in pretty good shape before White came on the job. And football is what matters most in the college sport’s landscape. No AD stays on the job for having a national champ women’s volleyball team. It’s football that drives the assessment. So, no amount of evidence or rational argument will alter the halo effect.
My opinion has nothing to do with football… Why don’t you like the job he is doing?

My opinion has nothing to do with football… Why don’t you like the job he is doing?
Uh, where did I ever say that I did not like job White is doing? Second, I was not addressing you at all.

I was elaborating on turbo's point that White is getting credit for a lot of positives that were already in place--an objectively accurate statement. I was just adding that this halo effect has much to do with White making a good hire for the football program.

Why you take that statement as a criticism of White's job performance is beyond me. Beyond that, White is an AD, not a sacred entity who must receive unqualified praise at all times or maybe you believe that he is and if so, I apologize for insulting your religion.

Last edited:
It was the "not on a 2, 3, or 4 year plan" that was the over reach. We are exactly on a 2, 3, or 4 yr plan.
AD speak. Relax. Unless you just want to be justified as correct. Is Darth jr worth creating a post?

Here's the thing...you can win with great coaches but you probably won't reach a championship level without everyone on the admin side pulling in the same direction. Coaches go to the AD and tell him/her what their program needs from the AD in order to improve and a good AD will find a way to make it happen. A good AD will help coaches build their program up to an elite level. A bad/ineffective AD will hold a coach back from building their program. We do have great coaches and they, along with the players, deserve a bunch of credit...for obvious reasons. We have seen the AD take a big step forward under DW and good coaches who were here before DW are achieving new heights. I think they would be happy to give some credit to DW and admit that having an AD that listens to them and gets them what they need makes a big difference. Now...having folks like Boyd and Plowman aligned with DW, that can take things to another level. We're in good hands.

VN Store

Back