A shot at Oregon or Florida?

Thanks for the replies. I agree that limiting Oregon is the way to go. Perhaps Butch was planning for that in running the ball 51 times against AP.

Yes, 50-0 would convince me that Oregon is about to face a team to be respected. I just want to have our team do one at a time and not speculate about future games.

Just noticed something that I had not before. Oregon plays UVA this week then Cal following the Vols. UVA is good enough to beat on them a little... and they could be tempted to look ahead and over the Vols.

Not predicting a win... just saying this is a good thing for UT.

I've been a VOLS fan for as long as I can remember. I have only really been keeping up with rosters, spring practice and player interviews for the past few years. Here's what I've noticed this year.

There is a fire inside team 117, especially the seniors. There is something there that I haven't seen in these past five or six years. Listening to them talk during spring and summer. Watching them on the field during practice. There is something different about this team.

Coaching goes a long way. But there is a certain quality that can't be forced upon player; the inner will to win. The self-motivation and determination that I've seen displayed by this team comes from within. Yes, a good coach can focus that motivation, that fire, but they can't produce it. We saw that in the last few games with Dooley. There was no fire.

Anyone who has played sports at a competitive level knows what I'm talking about. Anyone who has watched an underdog come out on top knows what I'm talking about. There's something that drives players from within to be better; to win. That's what I've seen from this team.

The OL exemplify this quality. Look at their interviews. Watch them during practice. They Are On Fire. They have that inner voice telling them to push on. This is contagious.

Sure, there are teams with players that may be more talented on paper. But I can guarantee you they don't have that drive that I've seen. The VOLS have a tradition of excellence; of winning. Our team knows that. They've been frustrated in the past few years. But guess what... They've turned that frustration into determination, into motivation, into drive.

Regardless of a W or a L, they WILL play with more motivation. They will put their all on the field. There will be no one on either side that will say, "They gave up."

Take it for what it's worth. This team will play every game like it's their last. For some of them it will be. Look at your stats, your Vegas lines, your scouting reports; but don't forget there is something that will never be listed in those.

Fire.

Reactions: 1 person
Just curious as to what, if anything, the Vols can do this Saturday to give you more confidence going into the Oregon and Florida games. I personally am skeptical that we can hang with Oregon. I'm a little more confident going into Florida, but that could change, for better or worse, depending on this weekend.

If we pitch a shutout against WKU, would that give you more confidence that we can beat either or both?

Would putting up 50+ points make any difference?

If we have 5+ sacks, would that give you more hope?

If we don't have any TOs or sacks?

Are you looking toward the LBs or the secondary?

The RBs or TEs?

Obviously better play from any of our units would make any of us feel better moving forward. I'm looking for what you specifically think could lead to a better result against Oregon and/or Florida.

The thing that gives me a glimmer of hope to upset Oregon is someone on another thread posted the weights of the starting OL for da Ducks. If accurate only one guy was over 300lbs and it was an OG. If true, what that tells me is they're going to have to finesse it against our DL, I don't see them lining up and just running it down our throats straightaway. They should run us out of the stadium, BUT, that's why you play the game. I was at Neyland when we played Oregon with Chip Kelly. A lot of people may have forgotten, but we led most of the first half against them and were tied at the half. Dooley's team completely collapsed and were blown out in the 2nd half. I don't see the Ducks as invincible, our kids shouldn't either, they should be the favorites but they can be beat, why not us?

They should run us out of the stadium, BUT, that's why you play the game. I was at Neyland when we played Oregon with Chip Kelly. A lot of people may have forgotten, but we led most of the first half against them and were tied at the half. Dooley's team completely collapsed and were blown out in the 2nd half. I don't see the Ducks as invincible, our kids shouldn't either, they should be the favorites but they can be beat, why not us?
The pick 6 changed everything. I still think we would have pulled away late in the game due to the depth issue but it may not have gotten ugly without that huge momentum swing. Anything can happen and you can bet that UT won't be taken lightly.

Just curious as to what, if anything, the Vols can do this Saturday to give you more confidence going into the Oregon and Florida games. I personally am skeptical that we can hang with Oregon. I'm a little more confident going into Florida, but that could change, for better or worse, depending on this weekend.

If we pitch a shutout against WKU, would that give you more confidence that we can beat either or both?

Would putting up 50+ points make any difference?

If we have 5+ sacks, would that give you more hope?

If we don't have any TOs or sacks?

Are you looking toward the LBs or the secondary?

The RBs or TEs?

Obviously better play from any of our units would make any of us feel better moving forward. I'm looking for what you specifically think could lead to a better result against Oregon and/or Florida.

there is always a chance in any game but there is nothing that Tennessee can do Saturday that would make me believe its more than a slim chance against those 2 teams..

If Worley goes Cam Newton on us Saturday then I will start to believe.

I love the enthusiasm on VN, we've won 2 SEC games in 2 years and we get a new coach and now minus our playmakers from last year we're supposed to beat top 10 teams. Brace your self Vol fans, it's going to be a long, long season. I hope we win em all, but it ain't gonna happen, 6-6 will be an improvement, but let's beat WK 1st, OK.

I love the enthusiasm on VN, we've won 2 SEC games in 2 years and we get a new coach and now minus our playmakers from last year we're supposed to beat top 10 teams. Brace your self Vol fans, it's going to be a long, long season. I hope we win em all, but it ain't gonna happen, 6-6 will be an improvement, but let's beat WK 1st, OK.

Get out of here with your common sense.

Reactions: 4 people

6-6 would not be an improvement. It would be treading water. If that's the record then "brace yourself", it is likely to be a long 3 years.

Florida blew out other teams that year, not just Tennessee.

Tennessee got hammered by other teams that year, not just Florida

HUH?

That was the ONLY game we got blown out in and was the ONLY game Florida blew out an SEC opponent. The only other team that was close to that margin was Florida Atlantic but every SEC team gets those 3 cupcake blowouts, unless you're Kentucky.

6-6 would not be an improvement. It would be treading water. If that's the record then "brace yourself", it is likely to be a long 3 years.

So, making a bowl game would not be an improvement over not making a bowl game?

HUH?

That was the ONLY game we got blown out in and was the ONLY game Florida blew out an SEC opponent. The only other team that was close to that margin was Florida Atlantic but every SEC team gets those 3 cupcake blowouts, unless you're Kentucky.

alabama blew out tennessee
florida blew out florida state

and while the scores don't show a ridiculous spread, florida beat south carolina badly and california beat tennessee rather badly that season as well.

I hope we take PLENTY of oxygen tanks to Autzen...

Our boys will be winded...

Florida...I feel better about...but, not much better

Agreed. Once Oregon's play makers get in the open field and in one on one situations against UT...it will be time to pack the gear and warm up the turbines on the plane.

Florida has the week off prior to the Tennessee game. They also have quality depth compared to UT and it's a home game for them.

2 things I am worried about. Passing offense and Passing defense. I think since both games will be out Away games it will be much more difficult with this young team.
Oregon 47 UT 23
FL 35 UT 20

Florida won't score 35 on us unless they do it Bama vs VT style. They only managed 24 against the mighty Toledo defense.

So, making a bowl game would not be an improvement over not making a bowl game?

UT made a bowl game 3 years ago.

If this is a six win team then I see no good reason to believe next year will reach that level.... pretty much a repeat of the first two years of Dooley.

florida is the better chance at victory because florida is becoming one of those teams that can totally be dominating a game and only be up by 10 points where any one play can swing momentum and change the game.

I don't see why everyone is throwing the towel in for UT against Florida.

They've taken a lot of injuries/setbacks on the OL. Driskel isn't amazing. They are in bad shape at WR. They have an RB that will be making his first start this weekend after a bad viral bout. They lost 8 starters on their Defense last year.

The best players from UT's 2011 #28 in Total D (not great, but infinitely better than 2013) are all still on roster... with 2 more years of S&C and mental growth. We have a fantastic O-Line that, with a decent run-game to go with it will keep us in a lot of games.

As long as we go into Florida mentally and physically healthy, I don't think it's that unbelievable to see us beating them. I'm not saying we will but I'm saying I don't think it's far-fetched.

I'd say the Florida game this year is probably Butch Jones' biggest game of the entire year. Inter-division rival. Long time without beating them. Recruiting foe.

In a lot of ways it's like the UT game was for Saban where in 2007 Bama had only beaten UT 2 times since 1995.

Florida won't score 35 on us unless they do it Bama vs VT style. They only managed 24 against the mighty Toledo defense.

We only scored 27 against Bowling Green last year, but somehow managed to score 37 at UT and FSU.

VN Store

Back