Adam Schefter on what he's hearing about whether there will be a 2020 CFB season

I am a Christian and I hate the thought of not having Easter Sunrise Services but if we give up some things now and practice social distancing it will go a long ways toward things getting back to a semi normal state. I do worry though if people will adhere. Easter, a big day of people getting together, then in May, we have Memorial Day, July 4th holiday, then Labor Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year. If people don't stick to the social distancing protocol, the end result could be spike, flatten, spike, flatten, repeat. WE can give up some things now and recover or keep having the roller coaster ride. And so far what I have heard about warm weather killing it out, apparently it doesn't.
You can still have sunrise service with your family

IMO, there will be a college football season. It will be somewhat different, but it will look a lot like it was supposed to. If the first games are played on September 5th, that allows 8 weeks back to July 6th for an extended conditioning / practice window. So there's some room to work with there. Maybe 2 weeks of conditioning, followed by 6 weeks of practice, and then play an 11 game regular season schedule starting September 5th. That's 13 Saturdays to play 11 games before the traditional conference championship games the first Saturday in December. It's doable. Every FBS team has either a "tuneup" or "paycheck" game that they could do without if they had to.

Of course, the NCAA being the NCAA...they'll take a simple solution and completely botch it.

Go Vols!

Reactions: savannahfan
2,813,503 Americans die each year.

...647,457 have or will die to heart disease (heart attacks, etc.)
...599,108 have or will die to cancer
...169,936 have or will die to accidents (car accidents are a big part of this one)
...160,201 have or will die to chronic respiratory diseases
...146,383 have or will die due to a stroke
...121,404 have or will die due to Alzheimer's
......83,564 have or will die to diabetes
......55,672 have or will die to the flu and pneumonia
......47,173 have or will die to suicide

......18,777 of us thus far this year died due to covid-19
......61,500 is the expected death toll by August, according to current modeling
......80,000 or less is a center point of the (far less certain) models for all of 2020

If you don't stop living a normal life because of fear of, say, car accidents, or catching the flu, you shouldn't stop living a normal life because of covid-19 ... AFTER we get past the point where we know the medical system can keep up with demand.

The current isolation measures are entirely for that last bit: to flatten the curve of infection rate until the hospitals and medical crews are sure they can keep pace with demand.

Back at the early part of March, when we started pushing social distancing, the estimate was that we'd need about 6 to 8 weeks of it to flatten the curve enough.

We're about 4-5 weeks in now, and that initial estimate still looks about right. Maybe another 3-4 weeks, and the medical infrastructure will be able to cope.

We don't have to do this forever, just for a little while longer. Of course, we'll "return to normal" in stages, not all at once, but still we should start down that road in just a few more weeks.

Will there be a football season this year? Absolutely. And it may not even be delayed until October (that's just one of the contingency plans the college football community is considering; another is starting on time).

Relax, stay cool, things will play out alright. Just give it time, and for now continue to annoy everyone in your house by staying there. :)

Last edited:

...169,936 have or will die to accidents (car accidents are a big part of this one)

......61,500 is the expected death toll by August, according to current modeling
......80,000 or less is a center point of the (far less certain) models for all of 2020

If you don't stop living a normal life because of fear of, say, car accidents, or catching the flu, you shouldn't stop living a normal life because of covid-19 ... AFTER we get past the point where we know the medical system can keep up with demand.

The current isolation measures are entirely for that last bit: to flatten the curve of infection rate until the hospitals and medical crews are sure they can keep pace with demand.

Back at the early part of March, when we started pushing social distancing, the estimate was that we'd need about 6 to 8 weeks of it to flatten the curve enough.

We're about 4-5 weeks in now, and that initial estimate still looks about right. Maybe another 3-4 weeks, and the medical infrastructure will be able to cope.

We don't have to do this forever, just for a little while longer. Of course, we'll "return to normal" in stages, not all at once, but still we should start down that road in just a few more weeks.

Will there be a football season this year? Absolutely. And it may not even be delayed until October (that's just one of the contingency plans the college football community is considering; another is starting on time).

Relax, stay cool, things will play out alright. Just give it time, and for now continue to annoy everyone in your house by staying there. :)
I lean toward thinking that there will be a season with some sort of modification. Maybe play with no fans and put it on pay per view to help offset the money lost. Not sure what it will be but there is a lot of money involved. I did see a poll on the SEC network yesterday that said 72% would not attend if a vaccine was not available and I am in that camp. Then there will be another percentage that can’t afford to go. Just not going to take a chance with my health until this thing is under control. Interesting stats you posted too. All true. But I would point out that of all the things you listed, only one is communicable. And there are vaccines that take care of most flu strains. Eventually the scientists will find one for this one too but I doubt it’s by this fall.

...I did see a poll on the SEC network yesterday that said 72% would not attend if a vaccine was not available....

That's as of today. Public opinion will change over time.

In a few weeks, say some time in May, we'll start getting back toward normal. Folks will go back to work, more and more as the month progresses. Restaurants will open for dine-in again, perhaps with lower capacity and spaced seating. States will go back to holding election primaries. You'll be able to easily find toilet paper because people will realize this isn't actually the zombie apocalypse (and the worst offenders' attics will be so full of TP they can't fit any more).

A month later, in mid-June, the news will no longer be focused on corona virus to the near-exclusion of everything else. Consequently, we'll hear about, think about, and have conversations about, other things. Covid-19 will begin to fade into the background, maybe not quite as much an after-thought as the flu, but heading in that direction. Everyone will be eager to get back to work, and restrictions will ease up even more.

By mid-July, people will start going on vacation, just like they used to. Seaside towns will no longer turn them away, business will be booming, the whole covid-19 scare will start to feel less like something we're living through and more like something that happened to us. It will move from "present" to "past".

By early August, the NCAA and its member institutions will agree that it's okay to hold fall camp.

In September, the football season will likely begin. Maybe as late as the start of October, but probably September. Maybe on original schedule, even.

At that point, the 72% who said back in April they wouldn't attend without a vaccine, they'll be significantly less worried. Covid-19 will be in a wider context by then.

Things are going to be okay. Let's just take it one step at a time, but we're turning the corner.

Go Vols!

p.s. Of those 72%, most don't attend football games in person anyway. The pollsters should have restricted the question to those who do normally attend games. :)

Last edited:
That's as of today. Public opinion will change over time.

In a few weeks, say some time in May, we'll start getting back toward normal. Folks will go back to work, more and more as the month progresses. Restaurants will open for dine-in again, perhaps with lower capacity and spaced seating. States will go back to holding election primaries. You'll be able to easily find toilet paper because people will realize this isn't actually the zombie apocalypse (and the worst offenders' attics will be so full of TP they can't fit any more).

A month later, in mid-June, the news will no longer be focused on corona virus to the near-exclusion of everything else. Consequently, we'll hear about, think about, and have conversations about, other things. Covid-19 will begin to fade into the background, maybe not quite as much an after-thought as the flu, but heading in that direction. Everyone will be eager to get back to work, and restrictions will ease up even more.

By mid-July, people will start going on vacation, just like they used to. Seaside towns will no longer turn them away, business will be booming, the whole covid-19 scare will start to feel less like something we're living through and more like something that happened to us. It will move from "present" to "past".

By early August, the NCAA and its member institutions will agree that it's okay to hold fall camp.

In September, the football season will likely begin. Maybe as late as the start of October, but probably September. Maybe on original schedule, even.

At that point, the 72% who said back in April they wouldn't attend without a vaccine, they'll be significantly less worried. Covid-19 will be in a wider context by then.

Things are going to be okay. Let's just take it one step at a time, but we're turning the corner.

Go Vols!

p.s. Of those 72%, most don't attend football games in person anyway. The pollsters should have restricted the question to those who do normally attend games. :)

I am a Christian and I hate the thought of not having Easter Sunrise Services but if we give up some things now and practice social distancing it will go a long ways toward things getting back to a semi normal state. I do worry though if people will adhere. Easter, a big day of people getting together, then in May, we have Memorial Day, July 4th holiday, then Labor Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year. If people don't stick to the social distancing protocol, the end result could be spike, flatten, spike, flatten, repeat. WE can give up some things now and recover or keep having the roller coaster ride. And so far what I have heard about warm weather killing it out, apparently it doesn't.
I am impressed. A practical, factual, and intellectual post. EVERYONE has to comply, otherwise it is the equivalent of having a peeing section in the swimming pool. Big picture thinking without exception is the answer. Well said my friend.

If things continue to improve we will have a season. With medicines and getting control of where of things overall will help scour out spots as they possibly pop up later on. Obviously this first round as bad as it was did not reach the level they thought. God Bless and GBO!

Things are looking better, everyone keep it up till the 30th. As bad as it has been, thank goodness the model projections were terrible off for whatever the reason. No doubt feeling good about how things are looking as a whole. God Bless us all. GBO!!!!

Maybe they were over stating to begin with. OR,,,,, maybe we the people have taken the threat more seriously than the "powers that be" though we would. Whichever, it's here til they release the antidote and everyone gets the "shot", much like getting rid of measles, mumps, etc. I personally feel this is not a "flu type" illness. It's here to stay. Note I said "they release the antidote"? I think it's out there just who has it and when it's released is the question.... cynical aren't I?

Even if it's a SEC only schedule with no fans in attendance, I need college football. Do a modify schedule in the fall and then play some more games in the spring. I don't care how it has to be done, just do something

Start practices that are controlled on labor day, and allow for 6-8 weeks of practice to cover for what was missed in the Spring? I like that idea. Then you have your whole team.
Why wait... The regular start date seem ok to me. Just test everyone when they come in, if any doubt shelf them for the 2 weeks. Don't let anyone out of controlled area and hold practice and then lock down.

I agree, but I also think God understands why we are not worshiping this Holy Week and Easter.

Reactions: cardvolfan
The season should begin on time, (One week late) It's 3 months and 20 days until August. The Virus will have run it's course; probably by July 1. Have two weeks of conditioning in July and 4 weeks of practice in August. First games Thursday Night Sept 3. It's doable. By that time most everyone should have been tested; and the 95 degree heat should finish Corona up, and with all the sanitary measures we have implemented, the chance of re-emergence should be minimal. We just have to be Diligent, sanitize, and wear that N or P 95 respirator mask and gloves when going to the stores. NO NEW CASES and the Virus will die out. I see that Walgreens is furnishing masks. Great idea, and really it needs to be mandatory until this thing is beaten. Also keep the Travel Ban on and Borders closed UNTIL we have a reliable, safe, and non-intrusive vaccine.
I like what you say til the end. If we wait til the vaccine is released, forget this year for anything, school, for those so inclined, church and all gatherings,, anything. At some point we will just have to suck it up and get on with life as usual, just treat it like anything else just respect it and use common sense when around others. Now,,, how do you address close quarters, such as the seating at Neyland ?

Poppa----
You know, you can still have your service. I am not sure God would care if you were the only one in attendance. Or are you wanting to be seen at worship? My interaction with the MAN doesn't require me to have an audience nor do I think he requires me to have one. So go ahead have your service, he will know it.

Say we have games without fan attendance, what’s the enforcement gonna be for watch parties? I can already see it being organized now, whether it’s right outside the gates of the stadium or some place else massive watch parties will be had one way or another.

Nice rational post.....

I lean toward thinking that there will be a season with some sort of modification. Maybe play with no fans and put it on pay per view to help offset the money lost. Not sure what it will be but there is a lot of money involved. I did see a poll on the SEC network yesterday that said 72% would not attend if a vaccine was not available and I am in that camp. Then there will be another percentage that can’t afford to go. Just not going to take a chance with my health until this thing is under control. Interesting stats you posted too. All true. But I would point out that of all the things you listed, only one is communicable. And there are vaccines that take care of most flu strains. Eventually the scientists will find one for this one too but I doubt it’s by this fall.
I agree with what you say, to a point. Way back when I was young (like that song) we went about life carrying the fear of many diseases, polio, and others that were deadly. Sitting around now worrying about this one kinda amuses me...

Reactions: bullet20
I am not hopeful due to the number of people who will not stick to social distancing. Way to many people doing whatever they want. Truly believe people are just trying to give fans hope instead of being open and honest.

Don't have much faith in people doing the right thing. Last evening about 5:30, I look out the window and see about 10 kids and as many adults congregating. It looked like a block party. I'm thinking why don't you just send your kids to Walmart for the afternoon? Five minutes later the Sheriff came by and broke it up. I understand people afraid of losing their freedom, but when you are too stupid to do the right thing, I'm all for police stepping in. GEEZ!!

Reactions: cardvolfan

VN Store

Back