Adam Schefter on what he's hearing about whether there will be a 2020 CFB season

I’ll admit it’s taken longer than expected (for me that is), but there are people in power starting to realize this can’t go on forever.

Govt can’t print a trillion dollars a month, pandemic or no pandemic.

Life has to go on
My confederate script value is finally improving. Not sure if it is because of the dollar or the toilet paper "shortage".

Looking forward to packing Neyland with over 100,000 people gathered together in 100 degree temperatures, along with our own complimentary N95 masks. If Covid 19 doesn't kill anyone, heat strokes will.

Eh...not really .

I'm sure some people shared your opinion when the Black Plague hit. "Life must resume "

They still don't have a vaccine...and almost 1/2 million cases here with 20,000 dead in about a 6 week span...

No...people need to keep theirselves inside and costs need be postponed on as many necessities as possible.

When I write what I do, I am not trying to discount the seriousness of this virus. I'm really not.

However, right now, there are millions, not a few thousand....not tens of thousands, but millions of Americans who are not able to work, not able to pay bills, etc.

Now, at some point, we have to worry about the millions. And the government handing out a check for (name your dollar amount here) is not going to solve the problem. You can not do this for months on end without dire consequences for an amount of people that dwarf those effected by the virus.

Personally, I've had to take a pay cut and I'm thankful because others aren't so lucky. But, it's only April 11th. If you carry this to June 1st, July 1st, August 1st, people are going to be begging to purchase a Hazmat suit in order to go back to work.

In addition, no one has any problem putting health care professionals (of which my wife is one) at risk, because we've deemed it to be a necessary risk. We have no qualms about putting their lives or the lives of their families at greater risk. At some point, we are going to need to ask the same of everybody.

When I write what I do, I am not trying to discount the seriousness of this virus. I'm really not.

However, right now, there are millions, not a few thousand....not tens of thousands, but millions of Americans who are not able to work, not able to pay bills, etc.

Now, at some point, we have to worry about the millions. And the government handing out a check for (name your dollar amount here) is not going to solve the problem. You can not do this for months on end without dire consequences for an amount of people that dwarf those effected by the virus.

Personally, I've had to take a pay cut and I'm thankful because others aren't so lucky. But, it's only April 11th. If you carry this to June 1st, July 1st, August 1st, people are going to be begging to purchase a Hazmat suit in order to go back to work.

In addition, no one has any problem putting health care professionals (of which my wife is one) at risk, because we've deemed it to be a necessary risk. We have no qualms about putting their lives or the lives of their families at greater risk. At some point, we are going to need to ask the same of everybody.
Not to mention loss of health care insurance for those unemployed

Well said

There will not be a season. We will not have another event until 2022. You guys don’t realize how devastating this is for the United States in particular. We are just getting started. We should be able to go back to work in a few weeks in many places, but with strict rules in place regarding interaction. But as far as cramming 100,000 people into a stadium and screaming air out of lungs as hard as you can.... that’s going to be a no go until a vaccine.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
Gosh, I don't know about the team and coaches but, I know I will make sure that I am fully prepared and ready for opening day on September 5th. I give my all everyday to the Vols.

Reactions: The Sheriff
There will not be a season. We will not have another event until 2022. You guys don’t realize how devastating this is for the United States in particular. We are just getting started. We should be able to go back to work in a few weeks in many places, but with strict rules in place regarding interaction. But as far as cramming 100,000 people into a stadium and screaming air out of lungs as hard as you can.... that’s going to be a no go until a vaccine.

Simply not true.

This is the kind of click-bait, sell-newspapers, drive-the-ratings exaggeration that we see far too often in the media these past couple of months.

We don't have to wait for a vaccine to begin developing a significant degree of "herd immunity" (google that if you're not familiar, it's interesting). We're building up herd immunity right now, in fact. We'll build it faster as the restrictions are lightened in coming weeks. And as that group immunity grows, it will become safer and safer for people who have not previously been exposed to go out into public venues. Like football stadiums.

We don't have to wait for a vaccine to gain that protection.

Herd immunity is not a permanent solution, because (a) the virus may mutate in the future (just like there are several types of influenza today, there may one day likely be several kinds of covid-19 / spinoffs) ... and (b) our bodies' immune systems slowly lower their guard as months and years pass. Need a booster from time to time to remind them what they're on the lookout for.

So yes, a vaccine is important for us, long-term, and we're all glad the scientists are working on it so hard. But we don't have to wait for it before we can start to return to a normal lifestyle.

Let's don't fear-monger. The media are doing far too much of that for us, already.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Simply not true.

This is the kind of click-bait, sell-newspapers, drive-the-ratings exaggeration that we see far too often in the media these past couple of months.

We don't have to wait for a vaccine to begin developing a significant degree of "herd immunity" (google that if you're not familiar, it's interesting). We're building up herd immunity right now, in fact. And as that group immunity grows, it will become safer and safer for people who have not previously been exposed to go out into public venues. Like football stadiums.

It's not permanent, because (a) the virus may mutate in the future (just like there are several types of influenza today, there will one day likely be several kinds of covid-19 / spinoffs) ... and (b) our bodies' immune systems slowly lower their guard as months and years pass. Need a booster from time to time to remind them what they're on the lookout for.

So yes, a vaccine is important for us, long-term, and we're all glad the scientists are working on it so hard. But we don't have to wait for it before we can start to return to a normal lifestyle.

Let's don't fear-monger. The media are doing far too much of that for us, already.

Go Vols!

Beyond that, there are a few things.

1. what if a vaccine never comes?

2. As you mentioned, what if it mutates and there is an annual COVID situation? Do we shut down everything every COVID season?

Wanna bet?

The thought we would have to wait for 18 months or two years for a vaccine is such malarkey. The only way to stop is through a vaccine and a herd immunity.
We HAVE TO start slowly opening things up again at some point relatively soon, so we can faster build this immunity. We have flattened the curve. Only our largest cities are somewhat overwhelmed by this thing. I live in Virginia. We have 5,000+ cases and 130 deaths, out of 8.15 million people. We also know that there are more people with the virus than that. Still whats going on in my state is the way it is in every single state in the country. Hardly any cases relative to the population. That also means, there aren't very many people that are on ventilators. Have our hospitals upgraded their ability to handle a crisis situation yet? We've been gearing up for about a month now on all fronts in the medical field and there isn't close to a crisis yet. Time to start opening things up. Restrict the elderly. Wear masks in public. Build the herd immunity.

It'll be a miracle if there's a football season.
..on time at least. I mean of they wanna push stuff back to October or November, I'm cool with that if things are in much better shape.

That's as of today. Public opinion will change over time.

In a few weeks, say some time in May, we'll start getting back toward normal. Folks will go back to work, more and more as the month progresses. Restaurants will open for dine-in again, perhaps with lower capacity and spaced seating. States will go back to holding election primaries. You'll be able to easily find toilet paper because people will realize this isn't actually the zombie apocalypse (and the worst offenders' attics will be so full of TP they can't fit any more).

A month later, in mid-June, the news will no longer be focused on corona virus to the near-exclusion of everything else. Consequently, we'll hear about, think about, and have conversations about, other things. Covid-19 will begin to fade into the background, maybe not quite as much an after-thought as the flu, but heading in that direction. Everyone will be eager to get back to work, and restrictions will ease up even more.

By mid-July, people will start going on vacation, just like they used to. Seaside towns will no longer turn them away, business will be booming, the whole covid-19 scare will start to feel less like something we're living through and more like something that happened to us. It will move from "present" to "past".

By early August, the NCAA and its member institutions will agree that it's okay to hold fall camp.

In September, the football season will likely begin. Maybe as late as the start of October, but probably September. Maybe on original schedule, even.

At that point, the 72% who said back in April they wouldn't attend without a vaccine, they'll be significantly less worried. Covid-19 will be in a wider context by then.

Things are going to be okay. Let's just take it one step at a time, but we're turning the corner.

Go Vols!

p.s. Of those 72%, most don't attend football games in person anyway. The pollsters should have restricted the question to those who do normally attend games. :)

You're EXTREMELY optimistic. Good for you, hope it turns out the way you expect.

The thought we would have to wait for 18 months or two years for a vaccine is such malarkey. The only way to stop is through a vaccine and a herd immunity.
We HAVE TO start slowly opening things up again at some point relatively soon, so we can faster build this immunity. We have flattened the curve. Only our largest cities are somewhat overwhelmed by this thing. I live in Virginia. We have 5,000+ cases and 130 deaths, out of 8.15 million people. We also know that there are more people with the virus than that. Still whats going on in my state is the way it is in every single state in the country. Hardly any cases relative to the population. That also means, there aren't very many people that are on ventilators. Have our hospitals upgraded their ability to handle a crisis situation yet? We've been gearing up for about a month now on all fronts in the medical field and there isn't close to a crisis yet. Time to start opening things up. Restrict the elderly. Wear masks in public. Build the herd immunity.

Here's Why Herd Immunity Won't Save Us From The COVID-19 Pandemic

Yeah and this article is about two weeks old. There are plenty of scientists that say gaining a herd immunity is valid and we can't sit here only hope for a vaccine. Why would the leader for infectious diseases in Sweden say they are trying to build a herd immunity? They aren't collapsing. They aren't dying all over the streets yet. They know what they're doing. The dude has been in the field of infectious disease since 1985! He and plenty of people in the field understand that's something we have to consider doing.

Maybe they were over stating to begin with. OR,,,,, maybe we the people have taken the threat more seriously than the "powers that be" though we would. Whichever, it's here til they release the antidote and everyone gets the "shot", much like getting rid of measles, mumps, etc. I personally feel this is not a "flu type" illness. It's here to stay. Note I said "they release the antidote"? I think it's out there just who has it and when it's released is the question.... cynical aren't I?

You’ve seen too many movies. It’s not poison, and this has nothing to do with the opening sequence of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Simply not true.

We don't have to wait for a vaccine to begin developing a significant degree of "herd immunity" (google that if you're not familiar, it's interesting). We're building up herd immunity right now, in fact. We'll build it faster as the restrictions are lightened in coming weeks. And as that group immunity grows, it will become safer and safer for people who have not previously been exposed to go out into public venues. Like football stadiums.

Herd immunity is not a permanent solution, because (a) the virus may mutate in the future (just like there are several types of influenza today, there may one day likely be several kinds of covid-19 / spinoffs) ... and (b) our bodies' immune systems slowly lower their guard as months and years pass. Need a booster from time to time to remind them what they're on the lookout for.

Go Vols!

I am an MD and an epidemiologist at the CDC in Atlanta. You need to be prepared for what I’m telling you. I’m not “fear-monger if”, as you put it. This is the nature of this virus. You will see as it unfolds and what we know is disseminated to the public. That’s all I’m going to say.

First time I’ve been on VN in a few months, and probably the last for a while because it’s been unbelievable at work. I’ve worked 42 days straight until this past Thursday. You guys take care, take this very, very seriously and be twice as cautious as they are telling you to for twice as long. GBO.

Something just crossed my mind. Imagine being at the game this year with 100000 and someone or multiple people start coughing. Yeah picture that🤮🤧

That’s actually not the worst case scenario. The worst is that in a crowd of 90,000, 250 are infected in the early, most contagious stages while showing no symptoms and think they are fine. A week later, 15,000 who attended the game are now showing signs and symptoms, and in the week since the game while showing no symptoms, those 15,000 went back to work and interacted with countless people.
That’s what we’re dealing with until there is a vaccine or reliable treatment. If there’s a college football season, it will be played in empty stadiums.

Yeah and this article is about two weeks old. There are plenty of scientists that say gaining a herd immunity is valid and we can't sit here only hope for a vaccine. Why would the leader for infectious diseases in Sweden say they are trying to build a herd immunity? They aren't collapsing. They aren't dying all over the streets yet. They know what they're doing. The dude has been in the field of infectious disease since 1985! He and plenty of people in the field understand that's something we have to consider doing.

If it doesn't make Bearded Vol happy, which is only gloom and doom just like he is with the football team, then it is fake news.

If it doesn't make Bearded Vol happy, which is only gloom and doom just like he is with the football team, then it is fake news.
I am an MD and an epidemiologist at the CDC in Atlanta. You need to be prepared for what I’m telling you. I’m not “fear-monger if”, as you put it. This is the nature of this virus. You will see as it unfolds and what we know is disseminated to the public. That’s all I’m going to say.

First time I’ve been on VN in a few months, and probably the last for a while because it’s been unbelievable at work. I’ve worked 42 days straight until this past Thursday. You guys take care, take this very, very seriously and be twice as cautious as they are telling you to for twice as long. GBO.

Of course you called Trey Smith a moron so there is that. Why did you guys not get in front of this better? You guys screwed the pooch so much. No season in 20? Maybe but nothing at all till 22, not happening.

Author of your article: Jeff Howe is an associate professor of journalism at Northeastern
Author of my article: Gideon Meyerowitz-Katz is an epidemiologist working in chronic disease in Sydney, Australia

Might want to actually read the article that explains the concept of 'herd immunity' instead of jumping on buzz words that you don't actually understand the concept of.

The sad fact is that herd immunity just isn't a solution to our pandemic woes. Yes, it may eventually happen anyway, but hoping that it will save us all is just not realistic. The time to discuss herd immunity is when we have a vaccine developed, and not one second earlier, because at that point we will be able to really stop the epidemic in its tracks. Until we have a vaccine, anyone talking about herd immunity as a preventative strategy for COVID-19 is simply wrong. Fortunately, there are other ways of preventing infections from spreading, which all boil down to avoiding people who are sick

VN Store

Back