Adams has a point...

5 yrs later, we still act like this is relevant. Goodbye Phil. Wish you wouldnt have under-achieved, and made us think we could do better than you.... Maybe we are finally on the right track, but at what cost?

Miss you buddy, but I really miss John Chavis more.

you can't do anything about yesterday,it's gone,can't do anything about the day,it's already here. the only day you can do anything is tomorrow. plan tomprrow

He did his homework on Clawson. Clawson was a highly proven commodity as an offensive coach. Clawson is a HC in the MAC now. Won a NC at Richmond (FCS) as a HC. Would love to get an honest take on the one year at UT from Clawson. Something wasn't connecting that year.

I actually agree with this statement. I think Fulmer put in the due diligence needed in regards to hiring Dave Clawson, enough so that if you believe Clay Travis' On Rocky Top (I know, I know), CPF was looking at Clawson not only for his offensive coordinator skills, but also saw him as a possible successor for himself down the road. Whatever the disconnect with that team, in particular the offense, was (my money's on Crompdaddy, BTW) it cost Coach Fulmer his job. I have kind of always thought maybe he didn't let Clawson do enough of his own thing and meddled in the offense more than he should have.

I just can't believe some of you "so called" Vol Fans sit here and bash a head coach who brought you 152 wins, 2 SEC Championships, 1 NC and numerous memories of incredible plays and players!! Quite sad, actually!

It isn't bashing to recognize that the guy who brought that great success declined and then ran the program into a ditch. That part of what Adams wrote is simply historical fact.

Dooley had 0 accomplishments as a coach. Fulmer brought the first NC to Knoxville in 47 years, and he gets treated to donut jokes for giving an opinion to the media. There's no comparison to my treatment of Dooley and Fulmer's treatment on VN.

Both failed. The donut jokes were/are stupid but so what?

Fulmer's failure directly led to Dooley's hire and Dooley's failure. Dooley inherited a wrecked roster because of Fulmer's failures to recruit and then discipline players. Better players would have covered up Dooley's inability for longer... but that does not excuse Fulmer for doing such a terrible job with the roster for his last 2-3 years.

Sounds like Adams feels he has some serious character flaws. The A-Rod of ex-college coaches.

Adams is pretty much a moron who has had it out for Fulmer for a very long time. On this particular occasion though, he hit on a few very valid points. One, Fulmer's ego got the best of him so much that he could no longer see his own flaws... and apparently still can't. Very sad. That more than any other thing probably brought him down. Fulmer did fail to recruit good players and discipline the program. You can look back and see that by how many busts he had and how many talented guys were lost to discipline issues.

Reactions: 1 person
"There's a reason why no one wants him." Sound familiar? With comments like that you seem to know everything about Fulmer and why he's not coaching, even though he even said that he missed time with his kids and doesn't want to miss time with his grandkids. But, yeah, you know everything and that isn't the reason.

On several occasions, he made it known publicly that he was pursuing the Louisville job. So much that he went for an interview. Same at Kansas too. His interview there got some publicity nationally because the powers at Kansas were surprised how unprepared he was for the interview. Even further, the Kansas AD said Fulmer talked too much about himself and didn't ask the right kind of questions about the Kansas program. He also put his name into the hat at South Florida. All of this is on the record. All you have to do is google it. Maybe you don't want to face the truth about Fulmer is why you pretend these things didn't happen?

I would certainly understand and think no less of you.

Depends on who Fulmer hires to replace Clawson. Crompton looked really good under Cutcliffe.

No he didn't. Cutcliffe didn't like Crompton which is why had Fulmer remained coach, Crompton would have transferred due to the fact that Cutcliffe was going to put Coleman at No. 1.

No he didn't. Cutcliffe didn't like Crompton which is why had Fulmer remained coach, Crompton would have transferred due to the fact that Cutcliffe was going to put Coleman at No. 1.

Yeah, Crompton looked so bad against LSU in 2006 (under Cutcliffe, mind you) where he actually got the lead prior to the defense giving up a 7:30 minute game winning drive. He also looked decent against Arkansas the following week. Cite your information about Cutcliffe not liking Crompton. I have this gut feeling you pulled that outta your rear.

On several occasions, he made it known publicly that he was pursuing the Louisville job. So much that he went for an interview. Same at Kansas too. His interview there got some publicity nationally because the powers at Kansas were surprised how unprepared he was for the interview. Even further, the Kansas AD said Fulmer talked too much about himself and didn't ask the right kind of questions about the Kansas program. He also put his name into the hat at South Florida. All of this is on the record. All you have to do is google it. Maybe you don't want to face the truth about Fulmer is why you pretend these things didn't happen?

I would certainly understand and think no less of you.

Yes, I know. And as I've mentioned before, I have applied for jobs I didn't really want, and even interviewed for them. Didn't mean a thing. I even have been offered said jobs and turned them down. My point is that just because he interviewed doesn't mean anything other than he had some interest, which I've never denied. But I don't buy the "no one wants him" as the sole reason he's not coaching. He may have half assed the interviews. You don't know. That's the point.

2/14 bad seasons with Fulmer

3/4 bad seasons without Fulmer

Hmmmmmm???? Ya Fulmer was the problem!!!!! Lol
3/4 national championships at bammer with Satan
not squat after 92 til then
Ya think all those coaches from Stallings to Satan was a problem?

Yes, I know. And as I've mentioned before, I have applied for jobs I didn't really want, and even interviewed for them. Didn't mean a thing. I even have been offered said jobs and turned them down. My point is that just because he interviewed doesn't mean anything other than he had some interest, which I've never denied. But I don't buy the "no one wants him" as the sole reason he's not coaching. He may have half assed the interviews. You don't know. That's the point.
Why in the world would he half ass a head coaching job he was interested in getting? Your assessment as to why he wasn't hired for any of those jobs is ludicrous at best.

Yeah, Crompton looked so bad against LSU in 2006 (under Cutcliffe, mind you) where he actually got the lead prior to the defense giving up a 7:30 minute game winning drive. He also looked decent against Arkansas the following week. Cite your information about Cutcliffe not liking Crompton. I have this gut feeling you pulled that outta your rear.

Based on what you post, you should probably ignore your gut feelings if they're guiding your responses. Crompton looked OK at best against LSU. Check the stats of the LSU and Arkansas games and get back to me.

Yeah he looked decent. That's it. You implied much more. Coleman was Cutcliffes QB recruit. I don't need to cite anything. I know it for a fact. You need to do more research and add some critical thinking to it. Your posts will get better and you won't look so uninformed all the time. Or don't do it. You're free to embarrass yourself all you want. This is America

Why in the world would he half ass a head coaching job he was interested in getting? Your assessment as to why he wasn't hired for any of those jobs is ludicrous at best.

Exactly. Plus, you would never state your intentions publicly, like Fulmer did.

There is some truth to his post. You may not want to see it, but there is.

I'm a fan of Tennessee, but I'm also a fan of any player that put on that orange jersey or coach who gave his all for Tennessee.

Like I said, he deserved one more year to win 8+ games. Then I would be fine with him having to be let go.(In a respectable manner)

Maybe he was interested, said he was interested, did some research prior to the interview like a good potential employee, and started having doubts that were confirmed early in the interview. I've had that happen. And he has stated, which was quoted as him producing excuses, that he loves this state/city, loves being with his family, etc. But no, you speculate that no one wanted him when he's said those things.

Adams is pretty much a moron who has had it out for Fulmer for a very long time. On this particular occasion though, he hit on a few very valid points. One, Fulmer's ego got the best of him so much that he could no longer see his own flaws... and apparently still can't. Very sad. That more than any other thing probably brought him down. Fulmer did fail to recruit good players and discipline the program. You can look back and see that by how many busts he had and how many talented guys were lost to discipline issues.
The worst part is that Fulmer went to a Alabama newspaper writer to bash the very people he personally chose to protect him and his good ole boy network, while he let the program crash to the ground. To An Alabama newspaper writer of all people.

Maybe he was interested, said he was interested, did some research prior to the interview like a good potential employee, and started having doubts that were confirmed early in the interview. I've had that happen. And he has stated, which was quoted as him producing excuses, that he loves this state/city, loves being with his family, etc. But no, you speculate that no one wanted him when he's said those things.

According to the Kansas AD, Fulmer didn't do any research prior to his interview there. He actually said he felt embarrassed for Fulmer because CPF was unprepared to ask anything about Kansas. Kansas AD claimed that Fulmer only talked about himself and didn't ask any of the appropriate questions about his potential employer. Look it up. A prominent reporter for FoxSports wrote the story.

Also, it's pathetically hilarious that you're trying to draw an analogous connection between YOUR interviews and interviews for a HC job at a big 6. conference school. Maybe I am wrong though. Was your interview with a Fortune 100 company as a Chief Operations Officer?

So you don't deny that he had some level of interest in multiple jobs. Ok...so his some level of interest never panned out only because in the end, he turned out only to be interested enough to interview for those jobs, not to actually try to get or even take any of them.

Am i just interpreting your words incorrectly or are you really saying it is impossible that if Fulmer wanted any of those jobs and really tried in the interview that there is no way he wouldn't have been offered the job?

So you don't deny that he had some level of interest in multiple jobs. Ok...so his some level of interest never panned out only because in the end, he turned out only to be interested enough to interview for those jobs, not to actually try to get or even take any of them.

Am i just interpreting your words incorrectly or are you really saying it is impossible that if Fulmer wanted any of those jobs and really tried in the interview that there is no way he wouldn't have been offered the job?

I don't know if he did or not, and neither do you or 114 despite how much you claim. I can claim any conspiracy I want, but it doesn't make it so. You don't know the level he was interested in any of the jobs. Obviously there was some, I never denied that, but I won't say that "no one wants him" is the Gospel on why Fulmer isn't coaching, like you and so many people claim.

I don't know if he did or not, and neither do you or 114 despite how much you claim. I can claim any conspiracy I want, but it doesn't make it so. You don't know the level he was interested in any of the jobs. Obviously there was some, I never denied that, but I won't say that "no one wants him" is the Gospel on why Fulmer isn't coaching, like you and so many people claim.

He was at the top of Kansas' list before the interview. At least that's what was being reported.

Who's claiming a conspiracy?

All I know is what Fulmer was stating publicly. It's well documented. According to your (LOL) reasoning, Fulmer's public statements must not mean anything.

No one of any significance wanted him. You can refuse to acknowledge it, but it's true. When big time programs have an opening, they go after the guys they want. Notre Dame didn't express any interest in Fulmer. USC didn't express any interest in Fulmer. UCLA didn't express any interest. Texas A&M. The list of those level schools with openings that never considered Fulmer is pretty long. The only schools that did show interest were lower level big 6 conference schools: Kansas and Louisville and he got eliminated by both of them after the interview. Maybe he did tank the interview on purpose. If so, that's enough proof that he wasn't worthy.

Look those things up and read about them. It will make you a much smarter fan

I'm sorry, when/where did I make such a claim? I don't remember ever doing so.

We're discussing your claim. Again, to make sure I understand... You are saying that there is no way any of the programs in which Coach Fulmer had some level of interest would not have hired him (or at least offered him the job - which we probably would have heard) had Coach Fulmer really been interested and tried his best in the interview process...is that it?

Both failed. The donut jokes were/are stupid but so what?

Fulmer's failure directly led to Dooley's hire and Dooley's failure. Dooley inherited a wrecked roster because of Fulmer's failures to recruit and then discipline players. Better players would have covered up Dooley's inability for longer... but that does not excuse Fulmer for doing such a terrible job with the roster for his last 2-3 years.

Funny. I thought Kiffin was right after Fulmer. It's getting harder and harder to believe you when you said you don't stick up for Dooley.

VN Store

Back