AJ Johnson hurting us on pass plays?

Cecil Basil

So I'm listening to Ainge and he's talking about AJ being slower and not playing well in the pass defense. He thinks while AJ is a great player, but having him in there in certain passing situations is hurting our defense. I have to say that I tend to agree with this. I like AJ and think he's a great player, but there were some times in the WKU game where they got first downs in that middle. I was just curious as to what Volnation thought about this?

I tend to think that you put your best players on the field, especially in the position we're in, but those speedy Oregon players might eat that middle up this weekend.

All I know is @ 40 years old I could have suited up and caught passes all day over the middle last week against us w/o too much worry.

Of course, I'm an animal.

Reactions: 22 people
I think that middle spot will be our biggest vulnerability this weekend.

Yes he is, he is a beast against the run and takes good angle there. However he takes horrible angle in coverage and is our slowest linebacker. I love AJ and I think he is a good player but they shouldn't ask him to cover a WR/RB.

Reactions: 2 people
Every opposing OC we have went up against has intentionally exposed the poor pass protection from our LBs over the last couple years. Now that it has extended beyond the Dooley era, I believe the blame just has to be placed on the players.

Reactions: 2 people
It seems to happen in man coverage as opposed to zone. It will get fixed, but probably not for a few games.

SOS used to isolate his RBs on Lbs and make they cover either deep or crossing patterns. All great OC minds use it. It works great. Few Lbs can cover Rbs across the field, I doubt Brewer could stay with the RB that I remember leaving AJ.

I think they should let AJ rush some off the edge on 3rd down with #54 on the other side. Play extra DB or Brewer in the middle on 3rd and long. Maybe this week?

SOS used to isolate his RBs on Lbs and make they cover either deep or crossing patterns. All great OC minds use it. It works great. Few Lbs can cover Rbs across the field, I doubt Brewer could stay with the RB that I remember leaving AJ.

I think they should let AJ rush some off the edge on 3rd down with #54 on the other side. Play extra DB or Brewer in the middle on 3rd and long. Maybe this week?
I'm very interested in seeing what our coaches do to counter that weakness.

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee isnt very strong at LB. Look at the recruiting there the last 3-4 yrs!

Maggit and Johnson were both Big recruits. other than that though we seem to be limited. If we can land all 5 guys we have committed for 2014 it will get better in a hurry

Not to pile on, but AJ also missed at least two third down tackles as well. It wasn't just his coverage. I think AJ is a great player, but that wasn't his best game.

Reactions: 3 people
This is not a novel idea...great run stuffer, but gets exposed on short and intermediate crossing routes. He's still a solid LB, just lacking good sideline to sideline speed.

So what's the answer this weekend? If you were a coach, what would you do to tighten up that middle this weekend? We could afford to just play it out in the first 2 games, but this weekend, not so much.

So what's the answer this weekend? If you were a coach, what would you do to tighten up that middle this weekend? We could afford to just play it out in the first 2 games, but this weekend, not so much.

Run nickel most of the game which unfortunately would leave AJ on the sideline with Sapp and Brewer at LB for coverage. Not ideal but better than having AJ trying to cover a slot guy or RB.

He might be not as quick. However let him put a crushing blow on those thin framed players of Oregon and they may play timid so evens out.

AJ has good speed for a MLB. No LB is going to be able to cover the fastest RBs. Every defense has its strengths and its weaknesses. AJ is is one of our strengths. It's up to the defensive coordinator to keep our players in the best positions to make plays, that's why you will rarely see AJ in man to man coverage on a RB.

Biggest problem at LB isnt just talent. It was poor coaching. We are still playing poor assignment football with the front 7. We have got to get more pressure on QB's. UGA/AL/SC/OR qb's are going to pick us apart if we cannot get some middle pressure. Dan should be able to occupy two blockers and free up someone for some pressure. Maybe we didn't dail it up because we didnt need it. I dont know.

Maggit may be an option but he'll also be rusty. They'll have to have a plan for the flats but I still see AJ playing a fair amount.

VN Store

Back