AJ Johnson hurting us on pass plays?

Yes, I did not mean to quote you. I was not talking about your answer, I'm sorry. Mistakes happen. I am not predicting a win at Oregon but I am predicting that we will be pleasantly surprised with our effort and our fight. Also, and this is why I am posting in this thread, I believe that our coaches will make the in-game adjustments necessary to keep it close. I am also saying that with Maggitt back, we will not be as weak in the middle or in pass coverage IMO.
It's cool. I'm looking forward to seeing what our coaches do this weekend. We might not win, but it's going to be a very interesting game to watch as far as the Vols and our coaches are concerned. I'm looking forward to it.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes he is, he is a beast against the run and takes good angle there. However he takes horrible angle in coverage and is our slowest linebacker. I love AJ and I think he is a good player but they shouldn't ask him to cover a WR/RB.

Actually, he overruns a lot of running plays. Anytime we get gashed (or moderately gashed?) up the middle, you'll find AJ on the other side of the tackle, turning to watch the play go by.

I would like to see JRM somewhere in the linebacking core on 3rd down situations to cover the middle

He might be not as quick. However let him put a crushing blow on those thin framed players of Oregon and they may play timid so evens out.

That's a problem too, when he tackles he stretches out with his arms and drags down/wraps up. He doesn't really lower himself and get hard hits.

Well, we don't have the LB speed to play a Tampa 2 or anything, so the MLB shouldn't have to really be dropping into coverage. I think we see a 4-2-5 nickel look this week, as it is very effective against the spread and gives us a QB "Spy" and added speed for inside zone coverage. With Maggitt back, he is pretty good against the pass, and should help a lot.

GOOD LORD GUYS!!! Everything that has been said is pretty much spot on but there are a few things that need to be considered. First of all is that Petrino, as much as I dislike the man, is maybe the best at creating bad matchups as he schemes for a game. Running backs across the middle will ALWAYS be a mismatch for a linebacker like AJ. The only way to combat that is to go to a nickel package and that is typically a down and distance type defense. You guys are insane if you don't think AJ is a monster on stopping the run. If he gets isolated, as he did a few times Saturday, he should have help and he did. Teams will get yardage, a team coached by Petrino that has good talent like WKU does, will make plays. UT's defense will be fine. This Saturday may make you feel that's not true, but I think Oregon would likely ring up 40 on Bammer. You guys really just need to chill a bit. I read on here all the time that you would love to have Chavis back but his defenses were always of the bend don't break type. AJ will be fine and the defense will be fine.

Truth here! I love AJ and in many ways he is the heart of the D but I look to see the Vols in a lot of Nichol and Dime packages to try and get better match ups with the Ducks spread which means AJ will sit some. With Maggit healthy the Vols have 3 LBs in Curt, Sapp, and Brewer that can run with about anyone so they may all be on the field at the same time. Gives you a 4-3 look with Brewer being a hybrid anyway.

GOOD LORD GUYS!!! Everything that has been said is pretty much spot on but there are a few things that need to be considered. First of all is that Petrino, as much as I dislike the man, is maybe the best at creating bad matchups as he schemes for a game. Running backs across the middle will ALWAYS be a mismatch for a linebacker like AJ. The only way to combat that is to go to a nickel package and that is typically a down and distance type defense. You guys are insane if you don't think AJ is a monster on stopping the run. If he gets isolated, as he did a few times Saturday, he should have help and he did. Teams will get yardage, a team coached by Petrino that has good talent like WKU does, will make plays. UT's defense will be fine. This Saturday may make you feel that's not true, but I think Oregon would likely ring up 40 on Bammer. You guys really just need to chill a bit. I read on here all the time that you would love to have Chavis back but his defenses were always of the bend don't break type. AJ will be fine and the defense will be fine.

I was with you all the way until the Chavis part. Chavis was rarely a bend but don't break coordinator. Its a popular misconception because fans remember the Mustang defense that we inevitably went to whenever we had a substantial lead late in a game and he would try to make the opposing offense burn clock.
For the most part, Chavis mixed in blitzes and stunts and wrinkles in coverage on a regular basis.
For anyone around that remembers back far enough - Marme was the ultimate bend-but-dont-break DC - Chavis was a welcome change IMO.

Every opposing OC we have went up against has intentionally exposed the poor pass protection from our LBs over the last couple years. Now that it has extended beyond the Dooley era, I believe the blame just has to be placed on the players.

And that really shouldn't be this year with brewer and sapp both converted DBs.

I was with you all the way until the Chavis part. Chavis was rarely a bend but don't break coordinator. Its a popular misconception because fans remember the Mustang defense that we inevitably went to whenever we had a substantial lead late in a game and he would try to make the opposing offense burn clock.
For the most part, Chavis mixed in blitzes and stunts and wrinkles in coverage on a regular basis.
For anyone around that remembers back far enough - Marme was the ultimate bend-but-dont-break DC - Chavis was a welcome change IMO.

Good point. Chavis D at LSU is case in point; they get up the field and try to create havoc; and yes the Mustang "prevent" was a roller coaster ride especially when the Vols were favorites and you laid the points:thumbsup:

Good point. Chavis D at LSU is case in point; they get up the field and try to create havoc; and yes the Mustang "prevent" was a roller coaster ride especially when the Vols were favorites and you laid the points:thumbsup:

I think Fulmer had a lot to do with the mustang look late in games.

Every opposing OC we have went up against has intentionally exposed the poor pass protection from our LBs over the last couple years. Now that it has extended beyond the Dooley era, I believe the blame just has to be placed on the players.

Based on the WKU game I thought our overall D, especially pass defense made a big step forward.

17-36 47% for 222 yards, 2 sacks & 5 (count 'em 5!) Interceptions - including 2 pick sixes!!

I really don't know how you play much better than that.

yeah i think people forgot that wku had a good offense and that there were people picking them to beat us.

Take AJ out and put Brent Brewer in. Problem solved.

Exactly, although that may be difficult to do against Oregon because they run plays so quickly. AJ has been burned in pass coverage for 3 years and Oregon will eat him alive with their speed over the middle.

ainge has a point about pass coverage with AJ but damn Ainge is annoying.

You don't like Ainge? I mean I get that sometimes he goes against the grain to entertain viewers, but I think he usually knows what he is talking about. A.J. is a beast against the run, and we are playing a running team. If he navigate the blockers and can read screen plays to make a play in time we'll be in better shape.

Exactly, although that may be difficult to do against Oregon because they run plays so quickly. AJ has been burned in pass coverage for 3 years and Oregon will eat him alive with their speed over the middle.

Oregon has to substitute lots of different Wide Recievers into the game as well. If we are fast enough, we can make the change. Of course, when AJ Johnson is in, its suicidal to put him in coverage. We should probably rely on our outside linebackers and our nickel package to stop the big plays.

I found that during the Georgia game (last year), Georgia players were making fun of AJ because he left the state of Georgia to play for Tennessee and that he sucked (typical smack talk).

After that AJ took it personally and pridefully and proceeded to release the "beast." He stopped everything Georgia was throwing at him and even caused a fumble. For the first time I saw AJ play at his true potential but only because he was no longer suppressing his inner beast.

What is AJ's twitter?
Let's rile up the beast before Saturday!!!

VN Store

Back