Akron was Dirty

VolFreakJosh

“Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!”
Watching the game, I couldn’t believe how dirty this Akron team really was.

- Their offensive lineman literally kept driving Tyler Baron to the ground when the play was already over.

- I saw at least two times where Hooker was hit below the knees after the ball left his hands.

- Their CB swiped Calloway in the face mask first then said something to set him off.

I usually don’t mind pulling for the underdog against superior opponents but it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if they lost every game on their schedule.

It was a very ugly game to watch.

- Their offensive lineman literally kept driving Tyler Baron to the ground when the play was already over.

- I saw at least two times where Hooker was hit below the knees after the ball left his hands.

- Their CB swiped Calloway in the face mask first then said something to set him off.

I usually don’t mind pulling for the underdog against superior opponents but it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if they lost every game on their schedule.

It a was a very ugly game to watch.

It was a heck of a lot more chippy than it should have been. Did Moorehead end up getting canned at Mississippi State not just for poor performance, but because of a big brawl at the end of the Egg Bowl one year?

It was a heck of a lot more chippy than it should have been. Did Moorehead end up getting canned at Mississippi State not just for poor performance, but because of a big brawl at the end of the Egg Bowl one year?
First thing that crossed my mind.

It a was a very ugly game to watch.

Something to think about.

Akron had a ton of transfers from big name schools. A bunch of highly coveted recruits out of HS that figured out they weren’t gonna play much at the big name school they originally signed with.

I’m agreeing with you that they played dirty. Maybe that’s why.

Akron had a ton of transfers from big name schools. A bunch of highly coveted recruits out of HS that figured out they weren’t gonna play much at the big name school they originally signed with.

Or maybe they were forced to transfer after being thugs?

At least those scumbags will probably finish the season 1-11.

Hope they lose every game. They played like trashy thugs.

Here's the deal, Dad. Akron will lose to: Liberty, Bowling Green, and Marshall. And Probably Central Michigan. The rest, I can't see that far into the future, but karma is taking a bullet train their way, and she's menstrual.

It’s a MAC team coming into a hostile environment playing in front of the most fans they will ever play in front of—as 47.5 point underdogs. It was to be expected.

No I don't think so. Dirty, bad sportsmanship is or should not be expected before a game. If this environment is expected, then steps should be taken BEFORE the game starts NOT after a play or plays just fan the flames.

No I don't think so. Dirty, bad sportsmanship is or should not be expected before a game. If this environment is expected, then steps should be taken BEFORE the game starts NOT after a play or plays just fan the flames.
Some of you have never played sports. When you are facing a team that is by consensus, far superior to your team—You often resort to any tactic possible in order to gain an edge. It’s just sports.

Reactions: SoddyAllVol
Some of you have never played sports. When you are facing a team that is by consensus, far superior to your team—You often resort to any tactic possible in order to gain an edge. It’s just sports.

That still does not negate what I proposed. The staffs, officials, all concerned need and usually do get out in front of these situations. A lot of flags early work most of the time if things are not successfully addressed before game time. In this game the officials, from what I was hearing, were clueless or overmatch by the situation.

This is wrong. In war yes, you resort to such tactics, but this is a game and some of the things done could alter a players ability to continue to play the game. Or worse, their life long dream of playing professionally. I hope you are not coaching and promoting this in our youth

The time to gain an advantage was done when we went up 21-0. After that point said chippiness should have ended.

I do wish we would have scored 70 on them though, but 63 will do.

Reactions: 08Vol and lenoxvol
This is wrong. In war yes, you resort to such tactics, but this is a game and some of the things done could alter a players ability to continue to play the game. Or worse, their life long dream of playing professionally. I hope you are not coaching and promoting this in our youth
Mississippi State was a dirty team when Joe Moorhead(Akron head coach) coached them

That still does not negate what I proposed. The staffs, officials, all concerned need and usually do get out in front of these situations. A lot of flags early work most of the time if things are not successfully addressed before game time. In this game the officials, from what I was hearing, were clueless or overmatch by the situation.
Things didn’t get real chippy until they were down by like 35-40. The Calloway stuff didn’t happen until the 3rd or 4th quarter. You could tell that the Akron guy’s main goal was to get Calloway flagged or ejected. It worked. He started talking because everything else they had tried was failing. The game didn’t get chippy until Akron knew it was over. It’s to be expected at that point in the beat down. Calloway can’t respond like that.

Things didn’t get real chippy until they were down by like 35-40. The Calloway stuff didn’t happen until the 3rd or 4th quarter. You could tell that the Akron guy’s main goal was to get Calloway flagged or ejected. It worked. He started talking because everything else they had tried was failing. The game didn’t get chippy until Akron knew it was over. It’s to be expected at that point in the beat down. Calloway can’t respond like that.

I understand what you are saying. All I had to go on was the radio broadcast which didn't tell me much. However I seem to remember a few early comments by our "color man" and the guy I guess who is there to explain rules and changes in the game over the past 10-20 years (color kept saying "I don't understand").

This is why I think people shouldn't overreact on Calloway. I saw their players, several times, hit our guys in the face when the refs weren't looking. Often after plays were over and for no freakin' reason whatsoever. The game was well out of hand and they were still doing this stuff. It's obvious they were coached to do it.

Sure, Calloway shouldn't not have done what he did, but I think it was a culmination of all the dirty stuff the Akron players were doing throughout the game. And they continued doing it even after his ejection.

Some of us had coaches that taught us sportsmanship and winning and losing with character.

Some of us.

VN Store

Back