Akron was Dirty

That player for Akron should have been tossed for targeting Hendon Hooker's knees
Agreed and I was beyond teed off they allowed them to get away with that, even went in low on Tillman. But they throw a flag on Beasley and Baron for nonexistent roughing the passer. Unbelievable

I was so frustrated about this the entire game. Hooker could have been hurt on those dives at his knees after he no longer had the ball.

Did anyone notice the post-game coach handshake. I think Heupel was mad about this. He’s normally very collegial and talks with the opposing coach. This time he barely touched his hand and didn’t make eye contact.

Watching the game, I couldn’t believe how dirty this Akron team really was.

- Their offensive lineman literally kept driving Tyler Baron to the ground when the play was already over.

- I saw at least two times where Hooker was hit below the knees after the ball left his hands.

- Their CB swiped Calloway in the face mask first then said something to set him off.

I usually don’t mind pulling for the underdog against superior opponents but it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if they lost every game on their schedule.

It was a very ugly game to watch.

So you’re giving Calloway a pass because the defender said something mean?

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
I noticed on the last UT drive one of the running plays to the right side, AFTER Wilk was down, the DL/LB took about 4 or 5 swipes at him. Thought at first he was just trying to punch the ball out. But this was after the play was over…
I thought it was on a receiver but definitely remember the play. Posted earlier. OL shoved the guy and they squawked to the refs.

I thought it was on a receiver but definitely remember the play. Posted earlier. OL shoved the guy and they squawked to the refs.
You are probably correct…by then I was almost asleep…was a very long day yesterday and had to get up early this morning.

Reactions: butchna
He swung first before Calloway did.

Try again.

Come on Josh. You’re a good poster and know better. Calloway is an SEC receiver playing against a bunch of chumps up 50 points and he goes all Mile Tyson on a guy for a head slap and an insult? Calloway should’ve thrown his hands up, let the refs handle it and walked away instead of acting like a 7 year old with anger issues

I understand what you are saying. All I had to go on was the radio broadcast which didn't tell me much. However I seem to remember a few early comments by our "color man" and the guy I guess who is there to explain rules and changes in the game over the past 10-20 years (color kept saying "I don't understand").
The officials actually exacerbated the situation with some really poor calls "protecting" the Akron QB without doing the same for Hook. I don't agree that it wasn't chippy until late. They tried twisting Small's leg off on the first series of the game.

This crew is one of the lower rated crews in the SEC. That speaks volumes. They let Akron get away with a lot and almost forced our guys to start responding.

My first appearance in Neyland in several years. Pass interference on McCoy, did they call it a pick play? He never touched anyone, so where was the interference? Another pass interference call, don't remember who it was on, when Akron quarterback threw the corner route to the end zone. That was a perfectly executed pass defense, reached around the receiver and knocked the ball away. Where was the interference? Roughing the passer call, the quarterback had just released the ball when our guy hit him, a legal hit. The SEC needs to do something about this crew. Officiating was terrible. There were several more questionable calls but these three stood out to me.

Targetting on Sampson's TD was agregious, but, missed by officials and reviewers.
They played dirty, for sure.

THANK YOU!! IMHO that was the worst missed call of the game...Dangerous hits like that just don't belong but if the targeting rule is ignored, it'll keep happening until someone is seriously injured.....

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
I thought that was a bang-bang play and didn’t see it as dirty as much as it was just trying to stop a touchdown, and incidentally making head to head contact.

Watching the game, I couldn’t believe how dirty this Akron team really was.

- Their offensive lineman literally kept driving Tyler Baron to the ground when the play was already over.

- I saw at least two times where Hooker was hit below the knees after the ball left his hands.

- Their CB swiped Calloway in the face mask first then said something to set him off.

I usually don’t mind pulling for the underdog against superior opponents but it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if they lost every game on their schedule.

It was a very ugly game to watch.
SEC officials are the worst of any league in college football. It was like they didn’t want to be there or they had sustain for having to be there. It appears the league will do nothing about this until Saban gives the command to demand a better class of individuals to officiate football games.

Some of you have never played sports. When you are facing a team that is by consensus, far superior to your team—You often resort to any tactic possible in order to gain an edge. It’s just sports.
Hum...how about walking into the one store in Sherwood and start running your mouth. See how far that edge will get you.

We bought out the Army game to play these thugs. But at least we didn't have to play Army, right guys? Right?

My whole family is military, my dad and pappaw served 26 years. Proud heritage from patriotic Americans.

Still not a good idea to play service academies who run the triple option offense. Their blocking scheme relies on pulling guards and "chip/cut blocks" which were supposed to be eliminated from the game by now....but are still alive and well. They involve blockers, many times a pulling guard, going below the waist to "cut down" our defensive linemen. These blocks, and the teams that use them, are notorious for causing serious injuries to ankles, knees, even groin muscles on defensive linemen which are just trying to do their jobs...

It is not worth taking the unnecessary risk to your players on the DL....especially before starting SEC play...there are plenty of teams to play which run conventional offenses like the ones our SEC foes will run.

VN Store

Back