All things STOCKS

Ford is investing a ton in EV and right now, not sure about that bet....
Wouldn’t do it . Farleys only job was to get the stk to 20 and keep it there. Big fail . Ev may bk Ford if they are not careful. I’ve been in the business 34 years and have never seen the company so out of touch with what the customers want. Sad times we are living in

Wouldn’t do it . Farleys only job was to get the stk to 20 and keep it there. Big fail . Ev may bk Ford if they are not careful. I’ve been in the business 34 years and have never seen the company so out of touch with what the customers want. Sad times we are living in

Ford is one of those companies that is too big to fail. Their footprint is massive. At the same time, their growth is limited, which is why they have consistently traded in the same range over the last couple of decades.

As far as their EV line, government mandates are pushing every automaker to transition to electric. Unless repealed, these mandates require that 2/3 of new car sales must be EVs by 2032. So what exactly would you have Ford do?

Like it or not, new combustion engine vehicles likely won't exist 20-30 years from now, regardless of who is POTUS over this time frame.

Reactions: tn4elvis
Every viable automobile producer must establish an EV footprint. They won’t be profitable for a while but their EV spending should be looked at as R&D rather than something to expand their near term margins.

It is wrong for the government to mandate EV over ICE vehicles. EVs aren’t without negative impacts on the environment. Let consumer demand be what decides the mix.

Personally I’d like to have a utility type of EV for running short trips around town to places like Home Depot and Chipotle. I’d really like to have an AV but those are probably decades away from reality.

Toyota will be the winner. F and GM might **** around and miss the sea change.

Reactions: Vol737 and tbh
Ford is one of those companies that is too big to fail. Their footprint is massive. At the same time, their growth is limited, which is why they have consistently traded in the same range over the last couple of decades.

As far as their EV line, government mandates are pushing every automaker to transition to electric. Unless repealed, these mandates require that 2/3 of new car sales must be EVs by 2032. So what exactly would you have Ford do?

Like it or not, new combustion engine vehicles likely won't exist 20-30 years from now, regardless of who is POTUS over this time frame.
It definitely is the future. Most customers do not like the government and mentally tie Ford and whoever else is pushing ev to the government. The only reason that there is a mandate is because of the idiots in Washington. It will eventually happen but not at the speed they want. A lot of people can not afford them

Reactions: Carp
Damn, I cancelled my buy order on Ford the other day and went heavy into the NVDA on the dip. 3 days later and Ford drops to where my buy order was, lol.

I picked up some Ford just now, but wish I had more money freed up to put into it. Picking it up on discount before the Ex Div date is a no brainer as well. Free money here.

Damn, I cancelled my buy order on Ford the other day and went heavy into the NVDA on the dip. 3 days later and Ford drops to where my buy order was, lol.

I picked up some Ford just now, but wish I had more money freed up to put into it. Picking it up on discount before the Ex Div date is a no brainer as well. Free money here.
Bought some Ford just now. Hey, it's not that great but there is a blue light special sale today.

Taking a little shellacking the past two days, but by % it’s not terrible. Still don’t like to look at the retirement accounts when these pullbacks happen. I bet a September rate cut, possibly even 5 basis points, would reignite the market a bit. Will be buying more of my favorites.

I've held off all week coming close to buying more F, but I'm in on F cheaper than what it's currently selling for. So instead, I bought more GM.

1. "The stock market is designed to transfer money from the Active to the Patient."

This quote emphasizes the importance of patience in investing, underscoring that frequent trading and attempting to time the market can lead to losses. Successful investors take a long-term approach, riding out market fluctuations and allowing their investments to grow over time.

2. "Risk comes from not knowing what you're doing."

Buffett stresses the importance of understanding the investments you're making. Risk is not inherently bad; it's the lack of knowledge that makes it dangerous. Before investing in anything, it's crucial to thoroughly research and understand the potential risks and rewards.

3. "It's far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price than a fair company at a wonderful price."

Quality matters in investing. This quote encourages investors to focus on the quality of the companies in which they invest rather than just seeking bargains. A wonderful company will generate sustainable returns over time, making it a more attractive investment.

4. "The best investment you can make is in yourself."

Buffett understands the importance of personal development and education. Investing in your own skills, knowledge, and abilities can provide the best return on investment. Continuous self-improvement can lead to better decision making and career opportunities.

5. "Price is what you pay. Value is what you get."

Buffett clearly distinguishes between price and value. Paying a low price for a stock or asset doesn't guarantee it's a good deal if it fails to provide value in return. Investors should focus on the underlying worth of an investment, not its current market price.

6. "Only buy something that you'd be perfectly happy to hold if the market shut down for ten years."

Buffett advises investors to adopt a long-term perspective. When you invest in a company, you should have confidence in its long-term potential. This way, you won't be overly concerned with short-term market fluctuations.

7. "Our favorite holding period is forever."

Are you seeing a pattern? Buffet loves looking at the long-term picture. Therefore, his preferred holding period for investments is indefinite. This quote highlights that you should invest in businesses that you believe will stand the test of time. By holding onto these investments indefinitely, you can reap the benefits of compounding returns.

8. "Diversification is protection against ignorance. It makes little sense if you know what you are doing."

Buffett suggests that diversification can be a way to mitigate risk, but it should not substitute for knowledge and understanding. If you have a deep understanding of your investments, you may not need to diversify as widely as someone who lacks that knowledge.

9. "The key to successful investing is to have the temperament of a poker player when you are not the house."

This quote highlights the need for discipline in investing. Much as a skilled poker player remains calm under pressure, a successful investor should avoid impulsive decisions and stay focused on a long-term strategy.

Reactions: Go aeiou
https://www.sarwa.co/blog/warren-buffett-quotes#:~:text=“Price%20is%20what%20you%20pay,degree%20at%20Columbia%20Business%20School.

10. “It’s far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price, than a fair company at a wonderful price.”

13. “The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect.”

16. “Remember that the stock market is a manic depressive.”

Following stock market news can be depressing. Because the stock market is volatile, stock prices move up and down. And investors who don’t have the emotional intelligence to weather that volatility might end up making poor decisions.

Investors must understand that short-term price movements (especially declines) are reflections of investors’ speculation rather than the underlying value of the stock itself.

Understanding this will help investors stop considering every fall in price as a significant event requiring a response.

Instead, investors should focus on whether a company is keeping its comparative advantage and if the management team is still working by the principles that made the company a good one.

It’s only changes in these more fundamental factors that necessitate a response from the investor. Everything else is just noise.

21. “I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful.”

22. “No matter how great the talent or efforts, some things just take time. You can’t produce a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant.”

28. “The best chance to deploy capital is when things are going down.”

Found this little nugget today:

Express Credit Union in Washington state tops the list with its 90th Anniversary Special. Through December 9th, it will pay 9% APY on a 1-year CD if you open the CD on the 9th of the month, on balances up to $5,000. You must be a member to receive this special, and it’s one CD per member, it said.

1. "The stock market is designed to transfer money from the Active to the Patient."

This quote emphasizes the importance of patience in investing, underscoring that frequent trading and attempting to time the market can lead to losses. Successful investors take a long-term approach, riding out market fluctuations and allowing their investments to grow over time.

2. "Risk comes from not knowing what you're doing."

Buffett stresses the importance of understanding the investments you're making. Risk is not inherently bad; it's the lack of knowledge that makes it dangerous. Before investing in anything, it's crucial to thoroughly research and understand the potential risks and rewards.

3. "It's far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price than a fair company at a wonderful price."

Quality matters in investing. This quote encourages investors to focus on the quality of the companies in which they invest rather than just seeking bargains. A wonderful company will generate sustainable returns over time, making it a more attractive investment.

4. "The best investment you can make is in yourself."

Buffett understands the importance of personal development and education. Investing in your own skills, knowledge, and abilities can provide the best return on investment. Continuous self-improvement can lead to better decision making and career opportunities.

5. "Price is what you pay. Value is what you get."

Buffett clearly distinguishes between price and value. Paying a low price for a stock or asset doesn't guarantee it's a good deal if it fails to provide value in return. Investors should focus on the underlying worth of an investment, not its current market price.

6. "Only buy something that you'd be perfectly happy to hold if the market shut down for ten years."

Buffett advises investors to adopt a long-term perspective. When you invest in a company, you should have confidence in its long-term potential. This way, you won't be overly concerned with short-term market fluctuations.

7. "Our favorite holding period is forever."

Are you seeing a pattern? Buffet loves looking at the long-term picture. Therefore, his preferred holding period for investments is indefinite. This quote highlights that you should invest in businesses that you believe will stand the test of time. By holding onto these investments indefinitely, you can reap the benefits of compounding returns.

8. "Diversification is protection against ignorance. It makes little sense if you know what you are doing."

Buffett suggests that diversification can be a way to mitigate risk, but it should not substitute for knowledge and understanding. If you have a deep understanding of your investments, you may not need to diversify as widely as someone who lacks that knowledge.

9. "The key to successful investing is to have the temperament of a poker player when you are not the house."

This quote highlights the need for discipline in investing. Much as a skilled poker player remains calm under pressure, a successful investor should avoid impulsive decisions and stay focused on a long-term strategy.

#8 has a huge IF qualifier to it. You could have a deep understanding of an investment and still miss a potential risk. CEO’s miss risk within their own companies all the time. Diversification is wise, imo.

#8 has a huge IF qualifier to it. You could have a deep understanding of an investment and still miss a potential risk. CEO’s miss risk within their own companies all the time. Diversification is wise, imo.

Diversification is very important for most people.

There are about a dozen types of risk. I think of security risk and market risk as 2 of the more notable types.

It would be horribly irresponsible to have all of one’s retirement (and other investments) tied to the success of one company tgat is also your employer. If that company failed and takes down their own securities then putting all of a worker’s eggs in that one basket is a recipe for disaster.

A lessor risk is that of entire markets failing. But it happens. The Dot Com Bubble. The Great Recession. There aren’t a lot of places to hide from those events. Perhaps gold. Even cash had a negative return without even considering inflation. There was actually negative interest rates on some debt.

If you get too diversified you’ll often simply hold investments that reflect the broad market averages.

What I think Buffett was getting at is that in order to create massive wealth, you need to be concentrated in fewer areas. Charlie Munger’s investments were (1) Berkshire Hathaway stock, (2) physical real estate, (3) CostCo, (4) the Daily Journal Corporation, and (5) Himalayan Capital Management (with Li Lu as the investment manager).

You guys have your fingers on the pulse of trends far more than I do, but it gets my attention to see Berkshire sell half of it's Apple position and pull back a little on BoA.

Buffett does not act rashly nor sell good investments. He says he's getting a good tax deal at 21%.

Is he signaling that he thinks the Dems will get in and raise the rate? Is he signaling Apple is misstepping despite good reports? Is he signaling that he feels the full market is going to be unstable?

Any thoughts? And thanks.

Diversification is very important for most people.

There are about a dozen types of risk. I think of security risk and market risk as 2 of the more notable types.

It would be horribly irresponsible to have all of one’s retirement (and other investments) tied to the success of one company tgat is also your employer. If that company failed and takes down their own securities then putting all of a worker’s eggs in that one basket is a recipe for disaster.

A lessor risk is that of entire markets failing. But it happens. The Dot Com Bubble. The Great Recession. There aren’t a lot of places to hide from those events. Perhaps gold. Even cash had a negative return without even considering inflation. There was actually negative interest rates on some debt.

If you get too diversified you’ll often simply hold investments that reflect the broad market averages.

What I think Buffett was getting at is that in order to create massive wealth, you need to be concentrated in fewer areas. Charlie Munger’s investments were (1) Berkshire Hathaway stock, (2) physical real estate, (3) CostCo, (4) the Daily Journal Corporation, and (5) Himalayan Capital Management (with Li Lu as the investment manager).

BH is a diversified portfolio. Himalayan seems redundant honestly as it owns BH, BAC, and AAPL. Just an indirect way to get Google, I guess.

They are obviously both great investors. Retirement investors should be just the market and not concentrate, imo. I’m very Bogle-headed when it comes to retirement investing.

You guys have your fingers on the pulse of trends far more than I do, but it gets my attention to see Berkshire sell half of it's Apple position and pull back a little on BoA.

Buffett does not act rashly nor sell good investments. He says he's getting a good tax deal at 21%.

Is he signaling that he thinks the Dems will get in and raise the rate? Is he signaling Apple is misstepping despite good reports? Is he signaling that he feels the full market is going to be unstable?

Any thoughts? And thanks.

Might could be raising cash to go in hard on something else. His theme over the last several years has been oil. He bought a big piece of Occidental Petroleum several years ago and it has been a stagnant stock. Perhaps he’ll try to buy the whole thing with all of that cash while the shares have lagged.

Buffett likes dividends and Apple’s yield is less than 0.5%.

Apple was also almost 50% of Berkshire’s publicly held stock holdings. Selling half is a lot but it is still B-H’s largest public investment by a wide margin. BAC is a distant #2.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution

VN Store

Back