All things STOCKS

Did anyone catch ASTS in time? My buddy made a big cash this month.
Never heard of it, but that doesn’t mean anything. Looked it up. If that launch is successful, it could keep going up. In 52 weeks it’s been as low as $1.97 and as high as $33.57. Good for your friend. I bought more NVDA and MSFT Monday of last week, NICE this week. I’m not nearly as active as some people here, but there was a sale last week.

Reactions: Jack Burton
Never heard of it, but that doesn’t mean anything. Looked it up. If that launch is successful, it could keep going up. In 52 weeks it’s been as low as $1.97 and as high as $33.57. Good for your friend. I bought more NVDA and MSFT Monday of last week, NICE this week. I’m not nearly as active as some people here, but there was a sale last week.
Yeah he had researched them and sold at like 600%. Not a bad day.

Nice. On the dip I grabbed LLY before earnings and some NVDA too.

Reactions: @1RBFjr and Jax_Vol
My biggest positions are F and NVDA currently. I am up 15% on my NVDA position overall, and this after selling all of my initial investment for about a 6% profit around Mid July. My other larger position is F that I sold some other holdings and bought up a large amount when everything tanked last Monday . Up 4% on that position as of this morning.

My other positions are much smaller. Less than $100 invested in any of them. Underwater currently in most of them.

Overall, the account is up 53% YTD as of closing bell yesterday. Pretty happy with that.

Last edited:
My biggest positions are F and NVDA currently. I am up 15% on my NVDA position overall, and this after selling all of my initial investment for about a 6% profit around Mid July. My other larger position is F that I sold some other holdings and bought up a large amount when everything tanked last Monday . Up 4% on that position as of this morning.

My other positions are much smaller. Less than $100 invested in any of them. Underwater currently in most of them.

Overall, the account is up 53% YTD as of closing bell yesterday. Pretty happy with that.

Up 53% YTD you’re crushing it man. Do you setup a stop loss for selling or just manually sell each time?

Up 53% YTD you’re crushing it man. Do you setup a stop loss for selling or just manually sell each time?
It depends on the stock and how I am trading it and how heavy I am in it. I am a swing trader, so I look for stocks with patterns and try to play on those patterns. But I do often keep a SL in the neighborhood of 10% below my average position.

But the first time I sold NVDA it hit my SL around 128. Had a feeling it was losing some momentum and wanted to secure my profits and potentially get in at a lower price. It also depends on the market in general. I may be moving towards cash on hand depending on how domestic and international events shake out.

It depends on the stock and how I am trading it and how heavy I am in it. I am a swing trader, so I look for stocks with patterns and try to play on those patterns. But I do often keep a SL in the neighborhood of 10% below my average position.

But the first time I sold NVDA it hit my SL around 128. Had a feeling it was losing some momentum and wanted to secure my profits and potentially get in at a lower price. It also depends on the market in general. I may be moving towards cash on hand depending on how domestic and international events shake out.
Do you think NASDAQ is going up or down from today thru election?

I was thinking Sept / Oct would be down 10%. But, now that the last few weeks turned wild, rethinking it all.

Did anyone catch ASTS in time? My buddy made a big cash this month.

Seeking Alpha:

AST SpaceMobile Overview​

AST SpaceMobile (NASDAQ:ASTS) continues to progress toward commercialization, with the launch of its Block 1 satellites now imminent. The company's share price has responded positively to regulatory and technical developments in recent months and this trend could continue, as there are more catalysts on the horizon. The most important near-term development has probably been the large rise in AST's market capitalization, which provides the company more room to raise capital without significantly diluting investors.
I previously suggested that while AST SpaceMobile had enormous promise, uncertainty surrounding its prospects should not be underestimated. AST is pushing technological limits and demand for this type of service is unclear. While the stock continues to move higher, this uncertainty will only really be addressed in 2025 as the first block of satellites comes into commercial operation.

Satellite Launch​

AST SpaceMobile received an initial license from the FCC for space-based operations in early August, meaning the company is now authorized to launch and operate its first 5 commercial satellites. These satellites will enable non-continuous service across the US, with 5,600+ cells in premium low-band spectrum.
The BlueBird satellites have been completed and are now in Florida undergoing final preparation for launch. AST has a 7-day launch window in the first half of September. After a few months of in-orbit service activation, AST expects to launch its service for AT&T and Verizon beta test users.

Licensing​

AST SpaceMobile's initial license for space-based operations in the US authorizes it to operate using V, F, and UHF frequencies to support its gateway, theater link, and telemetry tracking and control operations. This license will be the AST's primary license for operations in the US over the life of its constellation. AST SpaceMobile also continues to work with the FCC and its partners to apply for upgrades and modifications to this license in support of full-scale commercial operations.
While this is an important development that helps to derisk the company, I think AST SpaceMobile's share price already reflects a very low probability of regulatory or technical issues going forward.

ASIC Production​

AST SpaceMobile is developing an ASIC that will support a 10x increase in processing bandwidth per satellite, enabling commercial operations at scale. This initiative appears to be progressing smoothly, with the tape-out phase with TSMC having now been completed.
AST expects to begin using ASICs on its Block 2 satellites, although based on recent commentary, it appears that the company will not allow the ASIC to delay its launch plans. At the moment, AST plans on using FPGAs in the first 4 Block 2 satellites, with subsequent satellites implementing ASICs.

Manufacturing​

AST SpaceMobile's focus is now shifting from R&D to scale production of its network. Planning and production of the 17 Block 2 satellites is now underway at the company's manufacturing facilities in Texas. AST is targeting an initial launch of Block 2 satellites in the first quarter of 2025.
AST is also working on vertically integrating around 95% of the subsystems that are built going forward, which should help to reduce costs as the company scales production.
From a manufacturing perspective, AST appears fairly derisked at this point, given the relatively limited number of satellites it plans on manufacturing. Block 2 satellites are substantially larger, though, meaning there is still some residual risk involved in their production, launch, and operation.

Financing​

At the end of the second quarter, AST SpaceMobile had $287.6 million in cash. This provides the company with a fairly long runway at its current burn rate, but costs will ramp once AST has successfully demonstrated the operation of its Block 1 satellites and begins scaling its business.
AST SpaceMobile expects adjusted cash operating expenses to total $30-35 million per quarter through the remainder of the year. This guidance does not include an estimated $15 million related to the tape out and initial production of the company's ASICs, though. This will be recognized as an R&D expense as milestones are completed.
CapEx declined in the second quarter due to the completion of Block 1 satellites. AST SpaceMobile has now fully paid for these satellites and total spend did not materially exceed the anticipated $115 million amount. While costs are expected to decline for Block 2 satellites, the design, integration, testing, and launch of satellites and related ground infrastructure remain capital-intensive.
While the company continues to burn cash as it invests in its network, this is being offset by outside investments. AST raised approximately $80 million during the quarter using its at-the-market equity facility. Verizon also recently provided AST SpaceMobile with $100 million, consisting of $65 million of commercial prepayments and $35 million of convertible notes.
AST plans on launching a total of 168 satellites, which could cost as much as $5 billion. At some point in the next few years, cash flow from operations will begin to offset this, but in the meantime, financing is critical. The company has a long list of high-profile investors, including AT&T, Vodafone, Google, American Tower, Rakuten, and Bell Canada. As a result, I don't believe access to capital is an issue, but whether financing harms existing shareholders could still be.
If the company's first 5 satellites work as expected and initial commercial traction is solid, this could underpin a large amount of debt at a reasonable cost, helping to reduce the probability of dilution. AST SpaceMobile has stated that it is working on a financing package from export credit agencies, which would hopefully provide a cost-effective source of long-term debt. AST likely wants to have this type of arrangement in place before it burns through its current cash balance.
Given where the company's share price now sits, it could also be an opportune time for the company to raise capital without significantly diluting existing shareholders. Whether this occurs could be considered indicative of how the company views its current market capitalization relative to its future potential. If AST SpaceMobile tries to avoid an equity raise, it probably indicates that management believes the company is still undervalued. The company stated on its Q2 earnings call that it has no plans to pursue an underwritten public equity offering this year.

ASTS Stock Valuation​

After the post-earnings bump, AST's market capitalization now sits at over $8 billion. While there could still be an enormous upside, a reasonably large amount of commercial success is now baked into the share price. AST's value is difficult to assess at this point in time given that there has been no pricing guidance and adoption rates are unknown. AST's margin structure is also unknown, but margins should be high.
The market for mobile wireless services is worth an estimated $1.1 trillion. Satellite capabilities and the competitive positioning of incumbents limit how much of this opportunity a company like AST can realistically capitalize on, though. Over the next eight years, AST SpaceMobile believes that there will be a cumulative $67 billion opportunity in the satellite direct-to-device communications market. In comparison, Lynk believes that its service will offer MNOs a 40% revenue increase, with $150 billion coming from providing universal connectivity for existing customers and $250 billion from connecting new customers.
Analysts are currently expecting AST's revenue to approach $50 billion within the next decade. I had been thinking that a 50% share of a $50 billion market would represent an extremely good outcome for AST. Given current urbanization trends and the ongoing build-out of ground infrastructure, I have a hard time with more optimistic projections. If the market does end up being this large, it is also likely that competition will be an issue.

Analyst Revenue Projections for AST SpaceMobile

Table 1: Analyst Revenue Projections for AST SpaceMobile (Created by author using data from Seeking Alpha)

Telecommunications infrastructure tends to be a natural monopoly, but this only really holds while it is not financially worthwhile for competitors to invest in alternative infrastructure.
AST SpaceMobile has a large patent portfolio which could afford some protection, but it is difficult to see this providing a large barrier to entry long term. AST only spent seven years and $1 billion developing its technology. If there is an opportunity worth tens of billions of dollars, competitors will likely find a way around patents.
The argument against competition seems to rest largely on the assumption that once AST SpaceMobile locks up the larger telcos, it won't be viable for competitors to create a business case that justifies the necessary investment. If AST becomes large enough, I think this argument also becomes questionable, as MNOs could capture a large amount of value by negotiating more favorable terms with a competitor. Even if no competitors end up launching, this may end up limiting AST SpaceMobile's bargaining power with its customers.
Iridium's margins (~40% operating profit margin) are indicative of where AST's margins could end up, but given the fact that incremental revenue will have little associated cost, AST's margins could be much higher if it ends up generating tens of billions of dollars revenue annually.
If analyst projections prove accurate, AST could end up with a several hundred billion USD market capitalization in the next decade. While this is possible, expecting AST to be the largest player in the ecosystem, while only providing a niche service, isn't prudent.

Comparable Company Market Capitalization

Table 2: Comparable Company Market Capitalization (Created by author using data from Seeking Alpha)

It is interesting to note that while more positive expectations are now embedded in AST's share price, its partners are yet to benefit. Assuming AST does end up realizing an extreme right-tail outcome, Verizon and AT&T would also likely see a significant increase in market capitalization.

US MNO Market Capitalizations
Figure 1: US MNO Market Capitalizations (Seeking Alpha)

Conclusion​

It would be easy to dismiss AST SpaceMobile as a bubble, but there is still a lot of room for the share price to move in either direction. The large jump in AST's share price post-earnings is presumably in response to the imminent satellite launch and the potential for revenue within the next 6 months. AST SpaceMobile's valuation already prices in far more success than this, though. Technical and initial commercial success is expected, with the upside now more a question of end-user adoption, pricing, and competition.
AST SpaceMobile will need to raise an enormous amount of capital in the future, which is far easier with a high share price. From this perspective, AST has been significantly derisked in recent months. The company believes it has sufficient cash to achieve its near-term goals and start generating revenue. At this point, access to large amounts of reasonably priced debt also becomes a real possibility.
It will likely be several years before the validity of the assumptions underpinning AST's valuation is better understood. In the meantime, positive catalysts and speculation about the company's potential could see the share price continue to move higher. From a risk perspective, any issues with the launch or operation of AST's satellites would likely be extremely damaging at this point. As AST's share price moves higher, the probability of a large equity raise also increases.

This article was written by
Richard Durant profile picture
Richard Durant
7.6K Followers

Do you think NASDAQ is going up or down from today thru election?

I was thinking Sept / Oct would be down 10%. But, now that the last few weeks turned wild, rethinking it all.
They say July- Sept is the worst time of the year to invest. That mostly held true this year as the market has stalled over the last month+. With the recession fears and international situations heating up, I think we're going to see mostly horizontal movement through the election. Should be plenty of buying opportunities and you should be able to find some discounts on some quality companies.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Seeking Alpha:

AST SpaceMobile Overview​

AST SpaceMobile (NASDAQ:ASTS) continues to progress toward commercialization, with the launch of its Block 1 satellites now imminent. The company's share price has responded positively to regulatory and technical developments in recent months and this trend could continue, as there are more catalysts on the horizon. The most important near-term development has probably been the large rise in AST's market capitalization, which provides the company more room to raise capital without significantly diluting investors.
I previously suggested that while AST SpaceMobile had enormous promise, uncertainty surrounding its prospects should not be underestimated. AST is pushing technological limits and demand for this type of service is unclear. While the stock continues to move higher, this uncertainty will only really be addressed in 2025 as the first block of satellites comes into commercial operation.

Satellite Launch​

AST SpaceMobile received an initial license from the FCC for space-based operations in early August, meaning the company is now authorized to launch and operate its first 5 commercial satellites. These satellites will enable non-continuous service across the US, with 5,600+ cells in premium low-band spectrum.
The BlueBird satellites have been completed and are now in Florida undergoing final preparation for launch. AST has a 7-day launch window in the first half of September. After a few months of in-orbit service activation, AST expects to launch its service for AT&T and Verizon beta test users.

Licensing​

AST SpaceMobile's initial license for space-based operations in the US authorizes it to operate using V, F, and UHF frequencies to support its gateway, theater link, and telemetry tracking and control operations. This license will be the AST's primary license for operations in the US over the life of its constellation. AST SpaceMobile also continues to work with the FCC and its partners to apply for upgrades and modifications to this license in support of full-scale commercial operations.
While this is an important development that helps to derisk the company, I think AST SpaceMobile's share price already reflects a very low probability of regulatory or technical issues going forward.

ASIC Production​

AST SpaceMobile is developing an ASIC that will support a 10x increase in processing bandwidth per satellite, enabling commercial operations at scale. This initiative appears to be progressing smoothly, with the tape-out phase with TSMC having now been completed.
AST expects to begin using ASICs on its Block 2 satellites, although based on recent commentary, it appears that the company will not allow the ASIC to delay its launch plans. At the moment, AST plans on using FPGAs in the first 4 Block 2 satellites, with subsequent satellites implementing ASICs.

Manufacturing​

AST SpaceMobile's focus is now shifting from R&D to scale production of its network. Planning and production of the 17 Block 2 satellites is now underway at the company's manufacturing facilities in Texas. AST is targeting an initial launch of Block 2 satellites in the first quarter of 2025.
AST is also working on vertically integrating around 95% of the subsystems that are built going forward, which should help to reduce costs as the company scales production.
From a manufacturing perspective, AST appears fairly derisked at this point, given the relatively limited number of satellites it plans on manufacturing. Block 2 satellites are substantially larger, though, meaning there is still some residual risk involved in their production, launch, and operation.

Financing​

At the end of the second quarter, AST SpaceMobile had $287.6 million in cash. This provides the company with a fairly long runway at its current burn rate, but costs will ramp once AST has successfully demonstrated the operation of its Block 1 satellites and begins scaling its business.
AST SpaceMobile expects adjusted cash operating expenses to total $30-35 million per quarter through the remainder of the year. This guidance does not include an estimated $15 million related to the tape out and initial production of the company's ASICs, though. This will be recognized as an R&D expense as milestones are completed.
CapEx declined in the second quarter due to the completion of Block 1 satellites. AST SpaceMobile has now fully paid for these satellites and total spend did not materially exceed the anticipated $115 million amount. While costs are expected to decline for Block 2 satellites, the design, integration, testing, and launch of satellites and related ground infrastructure remain capital-intensive.
While the company continues to burn cash as it invests in its network, this is being offset by outside investments. AST raised approximately $80 million during the quarter using its at-the-market equity facility. Verizon also recently provided AST SpaceMobile with $100 million, consisting of $65 million of commercial prepayments and $35 million of convertible notes.
AST plans on launching a total of 168 satellites, which could cost as much as $5 billion. At some point in the next few years, cash flow from operations will begin to offset this, but in the meantime, financing is critical. The company has a long list of high-profile investors, including AT&T, Vodafone, Google, American Tower, Rakuten, and Bell Canada. As a result, I don't believe access to capital is an issue, but whether financing harms existing shareholders could still be.
If the company's first 5 satellites work as expected and initial commercial traction is solid, this could underpin a large amount of debt at a reasonable cost, helping to reduce the probability of dilution. AST SpaceMobile has stated that it is working on a financing package from export credit agencies, which would hopefully provide a cost-effective source of long-term debt. AST likely wants to have this type of arrangement in place before it burns through its current cash balance.
Given where the company's share price now sits, it could also be an opportune time for the company to raise capital without significantly diluting existing shareholders. Whether this occurs could be considered indicative of how the company views its current market capitalization relative to its future potential. If AST SpaceMobile tries to avoid an equity raise, it probably indicates that management believes the company is still undervalued. The company stated on its Q2 earnings call that it has no plans to pursue an underwritten public equity offering this year.

ASTS Stock Valuation​

After the post-earnings bump, AST's market capitalization now sits at over $8 billion. While there could still be an enormous upside, a reasonably large amount of commercial success is now baked into the share price. AST's value is difficult to assess at this point in time given that there has been no pricing guidance and adoption rates are unknown. AST's margin structure is also unknown, but margins should be high.
The market for mobile wireless services is worth an estimated $1.1 trillion. Satellite capabilities and the competitive positioning of incumbents limit how much of this opportunity a company like AST can realistically capitalize on, though. Over the next eight years, AST SpaceMobile believes that there will be a cumulative $67 billion opportunity in the satellite direct-to-device communications market. In comparison, Lynk believes that its service will offer MNOs a 40% revenue increase, with $150 billion coming from providing universal connectivity for existing customers and $250 billion from connecting new customers.
Analysts are currently expecting AST's revenue to approach $50 billion within the next decade. I had been thinking that a 50% share of a $50 billion market would represent an extremely good outcome for AST. Given current urbanization trends and the ongoing build-out of ground infrastructure, I have a hard time with more optimistic projections. If the market does end up being this large, it is also likely that competition will be an issue.

Analyst Revenue Projections for AST SpaceMobile

Table 1: Analyst Revenue Projections for AST SpaceMobile (Created by author using data from Seeking Alpha)

Telecommunications infrastructure tends to be a natural monopoly, but this only really holds while it is not financially worthwhile for competitors to invest in alternative infrastructure.
AST SpaceMobile has a large patent portfolio which could afford some protection, but it is difficult to see this providing a large barrier to entry long term. AST only spent seven years and $1 billion developing its technology. If there is an opportunity worth tens of billions of dollars, competitors will likely find a way around patents.
The argument against competition seems to rest largely on the assumption that once AST SpaceMobile locks up the larger telcos, it won't be viable for competitors to create a business case that justifies the necessary investment. If AST becomes large enough, I think this argument also becomes questionable, as MNOs could capture a large amount of value by negotiating more favorable terms with a competitor. Even if no competitors end up launching, this may end up limiting AST SpaceMobile's bargaining power with its customers.
Iridium's margins (~40% operating profit margin) are indicative of where AST's margins could end up, but given the fact that incremental revenue will have little associated cost, AST's margins could be much higher if it ends up generating tens of billions of dollars revenue annually.
If analyst projections prove accurate, AST could end up with a several hundred billion USD market capitalization in the next decade. While this is possible, expecting AST to be the largest player in the ecosystem, while only providing a niche service, isn't prudent.

Comparable Company Market Capitalization

Table 2: Comparable Company Market Capitalization (Created by author using data from Seeking Alpha)

It is interesting to note that while more positive expectations are now embedded in AST's share price, its partners are yet to benefit. Assuming AST does end up realizing an extreme right-tail outcome, Verizon and AT&T would also likely see a significant increase in market capitalization.

US MNO Market Capitalizations
Figure 1: US MNO Market Capitalizations (Seeking Alpha)

Conclusion​

It would be easy to dismiss AST SpaceMobile as a bubble, but there is still a lot of room for the share price to move in either direction. The large jump in AST's share price post-earnings is presumably in response to the imminent satellite launch and the potential for revenue within the next 6 months. AST SpaceMobile's valuation already prices in far more success than this, though. Technical and initial commercial success is expected, with the upside now more a question of end-user adoption, pricing, and competition.
AST SpaceMobile will need to raise an enormous amount of capital in the future, which is far easier with a high share price. From this perspective, AST has been significantly derisked in recent months. The company believes it has sufficient cash to achieve its near-term goals and start generating revenue. At this point, access to large amounts of reasonably priced debt also becomes a real possibility.
It will likely be several years before the validity of the assumptions underpinning AST's valuation is better understood. In the meantime, positive catalysts and speculation about the company's potential could see the share price continue to move higher. From a risk perspective, any issues with the launch or operation of AST's satellites would likely be extremely damaging at this point. As AST's share price moves higher, the probability of a large equity raise also increases.

This article was written by
Richard Durant profile picture
Richard Durant
7.6K Followers
I read all of that and I still don't quite understand what it is that they provide from the satellites.

I read all of that and I still don't quite understand what it is that they provide from the satellites.

AT&T and Verizon are among the AST investors. I’m not seeing why American Tower is though.

I think that they are building out a network of satellites and the actual satellites to provide data and telco in any area. Areas not served by land based infrastructure.

Satellite phones were around about 20-25 years ago, but they cost a fortune to use.

I don’t know if they’ve contracted with Space X to put any of them in orbit. Elon has his own version of a satellite based data network - so he’d be helping out a competitor by launching their’s.

AST has some odd affiliations.

Verizon is a customer but also petioned the FCC to deny AST and AT&T the license to serve remote areas in the US.

AST has actually contracted with Space X to deliver their satellites. However StarLink is owned by Space X and seems to be a direct competitor.

Then American Tower provides capital to AST, but as far as I know they are a REIT that owns transmitting towers that lease space on their towers to data and content providers.

That’s some unusual cross pollination in the communications sector.

AST has some odd affiliations.

Verizon is a customer but also petioned the FCC to deny AST and AT&T the license to serve remote areas in the US.

AST has actually contracted with Space X to deliver their satellites. However StarLink is owned by Space X and seems to be a direct competitor.

Then American Tower provides capital to AST, but as far as I know they are a REIT that owns transmitting towers that lease space on their towers to data and content providers.

That’s some unusual cross pollination in the communications sector.
For people living in areas not served by a fiber, or at least cable, there is definitely a void. Kids trying to keep up with school are moving toward a need for a high-speed internet, I'm out of education loop, but at one point, they were called Chromebooks.

Thinking American Towers may have people using phones covered.

In general, there is a market for rural areas. But, fewer people/subscribers. If Starlink is in that business, hard to imagine taking on Elon.

For people living in areas not served by a fiber, or at least cable, there is definitely a void. Kids trying to keep up with school are moving toward a need for a high-speed internet, I'm out of education loop, but at one point, they were called Chromebooks.

Thinking American Towers may have people using phones covered.

In general, there is a market for rural areas. But, fewer people/subscribers. If Starlink is in that business, hard to imagine taking on Elon.

There was a lot of money allocated, I think in one of Biden’s bills, to build out the high speed internet infrastructure in underserved areas. I think that companies that are participating in the build out can be very good investments. Especially the last mile companies that are stringing fiber cable to each property.

It also makes sense for the satellite based high speed data providers (AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Charter, etc) to be into satellite service as some areas are going to be so remote or challenging to run cable to.

I kind of get Space X winning the contract to launch a competitor’s satellite. They could get into anti-trust issues if they shut others out. Starlink is somewhat ancillary to their main business of rocket building and launching.

The one that I find especially odd is American Tower. Maybe it is a way to diversify. They are in a near duopoly with Crown Castle owning the towers. They aren’t in the content creation business or the content delivery to end users part of the communications universe. Maybe they are building out some type of redundancy. Maybe they are diversifying in order to get more infrastructure contracts with the Charters, Xfinitys, AT&Ts, Verizon’s, T-Mobiles, and maybe even going directly to the content streamers (Disney, Time-Warner, Netflix, etc).

DirecTV and Dish fit in there somewhere as well.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
NVDA reports on the 28th. What do yall think the stock is going to do?

Morningstar:

NVDA Bulls Say

• Nvidia’s GPUs offer industry-leading parallel processing, which was historically needed in PC gaming applications, but has expanded into crypto mining, AI, and perhaps future applications, too.
  • Nvidia’s data center GPUs and Cuda software platform have established the company as the dominant vendor for AI model training, which is a use case that should rise exponentially in the years ahead.
  • The firm has a first-mover advantage in the autonomous driving market that could lead to widespread adoption of its Drive PX self-driving platform.
NVDA Bears Say

• Nvidia is a leading AI chip vendor today, but other powerful chipmakers and tech titans are focused on in-house chip development.
  • Although Cuda is currently a leader in AI training software and tools, leading cloud vendors would likely prefer to see greater competition in this space, and they may shift to any alternative open-source tools that arise.
  • Nvidia’s gaming GPU business has often seen boom-or-bust cycles based on PC demand and, more recently, cryptocurrency mining.

Also Morningstar:

What to Watch for in Nvidia’s Q2 Earnings

• Like in the past several quarters, we think Nvidia will report results exceeding guidance while projecting even higher revenue in the October quarter. We still believe the firm is supply-constrained, and that its revenue is somewhat capped by the production availability of key manufacturers and partners.
  • The best indicator of Nvidia’s AI GPU growth will be hyperscaler capex spending, and we received good news in late July. Microsoft MSFT still expects to have even higher capex in the next 12 months than what it just reported, and Meta Platforms META lifted the midpoint of its capex guidance to $38.5 billion from $37.5 billion. Amazon AMZN also expects to spend more on AI next year.
  • At the same time, both Alphabet GOOGL and Meta have conceded that it is far riskier to underinvest in AI than overinvest. This may bode well for Nvidia in the near term, but it increases the risk that there will be a crash in investment at some point once they secure adequate AI GPU supply.
  • Advanced Micro Devices AMD boosted its AI GPU guidance for 2024, albeit at far lower levels than what Nvidia is selling. Still, we think this is likely a good sign. Even if customers choose AMD because of availability, it means demand for Nvidia’s GPUs must still be strong.
  • AI revenue is coming more into focus, as investors are rightfully questioning whether companies will generate enough to justify existing AI spending. We think these questions miss a portion of the AI investment—namely, R&D by startups, enterprises, and “moonshot” projects (robotics, genetics, autonomous driving), where we anticipate a good deal of investment, even if no explicit AI revenue is attached to it.
  • Still, investors are right to consider how and when these investments will pay off. In the best case, firms investing in AI will see significant revenue growth from it. However, we might see a host of firms that don’t generate tons of AI revenue, but will at least protect their businesses from upstarts, while firms that fail to invest in AI become antiquated. In these latter cases, the high AI capex and R&D are still reasonable, even if the payoff is implicit rather than explicit.

Morgan Stanley (8/7/2024):

Nvidia (OW, $144 PT): Now down about 20% from the peak, Nvidia currently trades
at close to a 30% discount to the trailing 5 year average on FW PE, and 60%
discount on T5Y peak FW PE. In absolute terms, NVDA trades at the same multiple
as when Chat GPT was first released in late 2022, a period where NVDA DC revenue
was flat to down q/q. Which illustrates the degree that investor views on how
Nvidia should trade relative to historical multiples has changed over the last two
years. We continue to think the larger scale of this business will likely continue to
compress the multiple relative to history, as comps continue to get more
challenging. But we would point out that it's these fears about comps that have
proven to be buying opportunities in the past given low valuations; for example, in
January, NVDA traded at a discount to the broader NASDAQ on PE. Today for a
company growing topline at over 100% y/y with 50% FCF margins, a low 30s PE is
very inexpensive should there prove to be durability to AI spending. And with a
major product cycle set to ramp beginning Q4, today is the low point for visibility
this cycle, and we think there's ongoing beat and raise potential inclusive of the
delays that are limiting sentiment (US Semis Weekly: NVDA Blackwell timing). We
don’t expect Nvida to return to its historical 60x PE but our bull case valuation of
$170 implies below 40x our bull case non-gaap CY25 EPS, plenty of significant
upside should sentiment improve.

NVDA reports on the 28th. What do yall think the stock is going to do?

I think it's priced pretty adequately at the moment. Whatever the reaction is could be short lived. Currently their P/E ratio is about 74.. And over the last three years, NVDA's average P/E ratio is 75.03. I am an optimist and with their product being so strong in the market at the moment, I believe it's still going up from here. Probably not at the level it has seen the last 6 months, but hopefully we see it up another 20% or so before Q3 earnings in November.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vol737 and Jax_Vol
I think it's priced pretty adequately at the moment. Whatever the reaction is could be short lived. Currently their P/E ratio is about 74.. And over the last three years, NVDA's average P/E ratio is 75.03. I am an optimist and with their product being so strong in the market at the moment, I believe it's still going up from here. Probably not at the level it has seen the last 6 months, but hopefully we see it up another 20% or so before Q3 earnings in November.
Yes Yes., I concur. Who knows, but I too think it is going up.

Except for the short-term juke moves, hard to picture NVDA going down. The mutual fund managers just continue to gobble it up.

Market Cap of $4T by Christmas. There...I said it.

VN Store

Back