All things STOCKS

Pretty meh day for me. Ford is up. NVDA is down.

I do have a fairly small amount of money invested into various "penny stocks" that I think have long term potential. One of those is MOBX, which ran up as high as 140% in pre-market trading today. Of course I missed that run up and now it's back near my average position, lol.

Pretty meh day for me. Ford is up. NVDA is down.

I do have a fairly small amount of money invested into various "penny stocks" that I think have long term potential. One of those is MOBX, which ran up as high as 140% in pre-market trading today. Of course I missed that run up and now it's back near my average position, lol.

MOBX stock price can be easily manipulated. I wouldn’t worry about missing a run up opportunity to sell some shares.

It has $200,000 in cash and $4.75 million in debt. It’s also barely shorted so a squeeze isn’t going to happen to get it rolling.

I sold some IBM today. Less than 10% of my shares. I haven’t decided where to use the proceeds. Maybe one of the S&P ETFs that aren’t cap weighted. Maybe BRK. Warren Buffett just bought back $350 million or so. But that’s only a small fraction of the $275 billion of cash Berkshire is sitting on.

I’d like to pick up ASML or TSM but I’m already overweighted in tech.

Thinking about ALLY. Or BAC. Or Dow Dogs BA or DIS.

MOBX stock price can be easily manipulated. I wouldn’t worry about missing a run up opportunity to sell some shares.

It has $200,000 in cash and $4.75 million in debt. It’s also barely shorted so a squeeze isn’t going to happen to get it rolling.

I sold some IBM today. Less than 10% of my shares. I haven’t decided where to use the proceeds. Maybe one of the S&P ETFs that aren’t cap weighted. Maybe BRK. Warren Buffett just bought back $350 million or so. But that’s only a small fraction of the $275 billion of cash Berkshire is sitting on.

I’d like to pick up ASML or TSM but I’m already overweighted in tech.

Thinking about ALLY. Or BAC. Or Dow Dogs BA or DIS.
I would like to believe in Disney. Pre-Pandemic, I thought they were take off like a Rocket with the addition of Disney+, along with having Hulu and ESPN. But they keep making mistake after mistake and they keep proving time and time again that they don't really listen to what their customers want.

Reactions: walkenvol
I would like to believe in Disney. Pre-Pandemic, I thought they were take off like a Rocket with the addition of Disney+, along with having Hulu and ESPN. But they keep making mistake after mistake and they keep proving time and time again that they don't really listen to what their customers want.

It would be a mistake for them to spin off ESPN. They should keep it as the migration to streaming is gaining momentum.

Netflix plus Disney would make an interesting combination if DIS was to separate ESPN.

Somebody needs to buy Time Warner/Discovery. Talk about a train wreck and Zaslav is maybe the worst CEO in America.

The recent job reports revision is pretty concerning to me. Companies are not hiring. It will surely help reduce inflation, but it's signaling a recession, imo, unless there are some major policy changes. Enjoy the gains as long as you can

The recent job reports revision is pretty concerning to me. Companies are not hiring. It will surely help reduce inflation, but it's signaling a recession, imo, unless there are some major policy changes. Enjoy the gains as long as you can
Yeah, Stock mkt doesn't seem to think a recession is in the cards.
So Powell get's a jobs report "revision". Hard to make decisions with crummy info. Will he panic? He's been pretty level headed for a lot of years.
OTOH, 2020/Covid changed things. Maybe we're still getting out of the effects of that?

Ford is doing well for me in the 3 weeks since I caught it on the drop. Up over 10% at the moment.
If I were to select a car company in which to own stock, no clue where to go with that idea. Brutal competition. USA not good at mass production.

However, 10% in three weeks is great. I dozed off in early August, but seems like several areas are upticking.

Think I would take the money and run next week. Disclaimer...don't follow F or really any of them.

If I were to select a car company in which to own stock, no clue where to go with that idea. Brutal competition. USA not good at mass production.

However, 10% in three weeks is great. I dozed off in early August, but seems like several areas are upticking.

Think I would take the money and run next week. Disclaimer...don't follow F or really any of them.

Toyota (TM) is the one to own long term...

Reactions: Jax_Vol and Carp

Not a long term hold for me. I play patterns. Looking for $13 before I sell. If no significant market downturns, I expect to be there before the election.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Not a long term hold for me. I play patterns. Looking for $13 before I sell. If no significant market downturns, I expect to be there before the election.
I have used that approach. Takes a lot of time because I'm slow.

In late spring, tried it on CELH. Took a beating. That puppy is heading right back to zero..lol

I have a portion of my money with a fiduciary and I have allow them to make the calls every time except once about a year back. They were proposing to sell IBM and buy Disney which I shot down. I never want to invest in a company that takes public positions on political issues that aren’t related to their own business interests. I want companies that are 100% focused on running their business.

I have a portion of my money with a fiduciary and I have allow them to make the calls every time except once about a year back. They were proposing to sell IBM and buy Disney which I shot down. I never want to invest in a company that takes public positions on political issues that aren’t related to their own business interests. I want companies that are 100% focused on running their business.

Disney has gone too far. Especially since their theme parks and video content is targeted at children.

However, companies are often pressured to speak out against unpopular political issues. I think that the best approach would be for them to be supportive of certain things like DEI (not so much the Equity) but without being promoters of every position that comes along. Diversity and Inclusion should be supported, but advocating for every nonsensical aspect is bad brand management. Jordan said that democrats AND republicans all buy shoes. Putting Dillon Mulvaney’s image on a Bud Light can, even if it wasn’t put on store shelves, was reckless and unnecessary. Budweiser made a major mistake using their platform (beer cans) with BL when they could have used something not so embedded in a culture not aligned with their customer base. Harvard and other business schools will be teaching the Bud Light brand management for decades. What was wrong with Spuds McKenzie? Did the girls in bathing suits making such a fuss over him offend women beer drinkers?

Yes Yes., I concur. Who knows, but I too think it is going up.

Except for the short-term juke moves, hard to picture NVDA going down. The mutual fund managers just continue to gobble it up.

Market Cap of $4T by Christmas. There...I said it.

When institutions are buying I want to ride that wave. Just gotta jump off at the right time.

CELH is approaching a fair valuation. They are profitable and now trades around 40x after falling by 60% rather quickly.

Their distribution deal with Pepsi makes them very relevant. Maybe not almost $10 billion market cap relevant, but relevant.

They are no longer growing at a rapid rate.

Since they are profitable and could some day be in play as a takeover, the downside risk has been greatly reduced. Maybe nearly eliminated unless management really screws up.

CELH is approaching a fair valuation. They are profitable and now trades around 40x after falling by 60% rather quickly.

Their distribution deal with Pepsi makes them very relevant. Maybe not almost $10 billion market cap relevant, but relevant.

They are no longer growing at a rapid rate.

Since they are profitable and could some day be in play as a takeover, the downside risk has been greatly reduced. Maybe nearly eliminated unless management really screws up.
I don't know. The 20 something age crowd used to love them. Now they show up to work with other unknown cold caffeine type of beverages. Not drinking regular old black coffee in a coffee pool anymore. The Bunn units sit unused.

Very fickle market.

But, Pepsi does indeed have them everywhere with shelf space. Hard trick to pull off in the refrigerated section.

Septembers are historically negative months for stocks.

Presidential year cycles are generally positive for stocks.

Then the Fed’s interest rate reversal is looming. When was the last rate cut? Q1-2020? Then it went sideways for 2 years and has been creeping up for 2.5 years now?

What to do?

I guess be like Buffett. Buy good companies with favorable long term prospects.

VN Store

Back