Amateur Hour Continues

Well technically the situation where a president pardons himself has never come up. So that’s legally untested. So who knows what the courts would have to say about that. Having a sitting president give himself and his family a get out of jail free card might not be the best precedent to set for the SCOTUS.
Ask a better question then next time. He is absolutely within his right to pardon anybody he choses except for himself. There is no precedent on that topic and Nixon/Ford punted it.

What I don’t get is how you can pardon without any type of charge. Are you then just blanket pardoned of any federal crime you may have committed before the Pardon?

Wouldn’t even considering pardoning yourself or family indicate that you think you will be charged with a federal crime?

What I don’t get is how you can pardon without any type of charge. Are you then just blanket pardoned of any federal crime you may have committed before the Pardon?
I’m not a lawyer, thank god, but this is from the Washington Post:
In Ex parte Garland , the Supreme Court settled the question of preemptive pardons. The justices in that 1866 case decided that while pardons could reach only past acts, the pardon “may be exercised at any time after [the act’s] commission, either before legal proceedings are taken or during their pendency or after conviction and judgment.”
Even before Garland, President Abraham Lincoln (among others) pardoned dozens of people — including alleged traitors — preemptively. More recently, President Jimmy Carter pardoned hundreds of thousands of Vietnam draft evaders, including those who had not been charged or convicted. And, most famously, President Gerald Ford pardoned President Richard Nixon, who had not yet been charged with anything.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
I don’t even want to ponder how many dimensions are in your pea brain or how they might be connected. I answered a specific question with the correct answer. And you don’t seem to be able to connect those dots at least.
Are there any limits to whom the president can pardon?

The Constitution itself contains only two restrictions: The pardon must be an offense against the United States — that is, a federal crime and not a state crime. Also, the president cannot use the pardon power to save himself or another official from impeachment.

Trump should resign on Jan 19th, appoint Pence 46, and Pence pardons the whole Trump family. And Dems everywhere scream in futility 😂

Are there any limits to whom the president can pardon?

The Constitution itself contains only two restrictions: The pardon must be an offense against the United States — that is, a federal crime and not a state crime. Also, the president cannot use the pardon power to save himself or another official from impeachment.
Not the question that was asked Albert. Learn to read.

I’m not a lawyer, thank god, but this is from the Washington Post:
In Ex parte Garland , the Supreme Court settled the question of preemptive pardons. The justices in that 1866 case decided that while pardons could reach only past acts, the pardon “may be exercised at any time after [the act’s] commission, either before legal proceedings are taken or during their pendency or after conviction and judgment.”
Even before Garland, President Abraham Lincoln (among others) pardoned dozens of people — including alleged traitors — preemptively. More recently, President Jimmy Carter pardoned hundreds of thousands of Vietnam draft evaders, including those who had not been charged or convicted. And, most famously, President Gerald Ford pardoned President Richard Nixon, who had not yet been charged with anything.
They all seem to address illegal actions. Trump knows that his kids and Rudi have all committed illegal actions, he's just further bastardizing the office.

Was reading this the other day, maybe it adds some insight... I dunno

Burdick v. United States, 236 U.S. 79 (1915)
That appears to only affect the rejection as they tried to do in the Susan B Anthony case I linked? I mean... she’s dead 🤷‍♂️

I didn’t see an “I accept” requirement. But no worries I’m sure the MSM will take that narrative and run with it

That appears to only affect the rejection as they tried to do in the Susan B Anthony case I linked? I mean... she’s dead 🤷‍♂️

I didn’t see an “I accept” requirement. But no worries I’m sure the MSM will take that narrative and run with it

What does Sidney say? You know that awesome attorney you carry on about. I bet she has laid it all out to Donnie and Rudy. With advice like that, not a chance they would mess something up, so cut and dried.

What does Sidney say? You know that awesome attorney you carry on about. I bet she has laid it all out to Donnie and Rudy. With advice like that, not a chance they would mess something up, so cut and dried.
Why the deflection stewie? Kinda weak sauce. Did I ruin you drive by turd toss? Sorry/not sorry 😎

VN Store

Back