Another start to the school year, another shooting; nothing will change

Only a true numbskull would fail to admit that it is both a gun problem and a people problem.

Only a numbskull would ignore the fact that just a few decades ago it was easier to buy a gun than it is now and mass shootings were virtually unheard of. That alone eliminates guns as the problem and only leaves people.

You know I didn't say anything even remotely like "it's not worth debating the people problem......."
In fact I specifically stated that the people problem can and should be addressed.
The fact that you immediately jump to false accusations about my position is curiously odd.
You said it was asinine to debate the possibility of fixing the people problem. that isn't making something up, its pointing out the problems in your own argument and you refuse to admit the ones you make so you try to say I am lying instead of addressing what you said.

Only a numbskull would ignore the fact that just a few decades ago it was easier to buy a gun than it is now and mass shootings were virtually unheard of. That alone eliminates guns as the problem and only leaves people.
we need to start saying that decades ago it was easier to buy an AR-15. the gun thing they just gloss over. they think ARs are some new thing designed to be extra killy because the "guns" we used to get decades ago easily weren't killy enough.

we need to start saying that decades ago it was easier to buy an AR-15. the gun thing they just gloss over. they think ARs are some new thing designed to be extra killy because the "guns" we used to get decades ago easily weren't killy enough.
The Winchester 1907 (manufactured 1907 to 1957) semi-automatic could fire as quickly as an AR, had an extended clip available and was available for shipment directly to your house from Sears and Roebuck with no checks prior to 1968.

Not really, what law would have prevented this shooting?

Not necessarily "a law." But rather, had the Dad known that HE would be held responsible maybe he'd either not have given the kid a weapon or taken steps to head this off in form of help for the kid.

Personally, in terms of "a law," and in that vein, I'd like to have seen the Dad have to pay insurance when he bought the gun. Maybe he wouldn't have. And maybe a lot of people wouldn't if the insurance were a significant hurdle.

But that's me wishing for something that won't happen.

Not necessarily "a law." But rather, had the Dad known that HE would be held responsible maybe he'd either not have given the kid a weapon or taken steps to head this off in form of help for the kid.

Personally, in terms of "a law," and in that vein, I'd like to have seen the Dad have to pay insurance when he bought the gun. Maybe he wouldn't have. And maybe a lot of people wouldn't if the insurance were a significant hurdle.

Unless he lives in Tuscaloosa and can dunk, he'd probably know he could be liable. The insurance angle is still stupid

DO you think the dad was ignorant to being held to account for giving his 16 yo a gun? That's laughable. The insurance thing is even more laughable. "The kids are dead but at least he had insurance." 😅

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
DO you think the dad was ignorant to being held to account for giving his 16 yo a gun? That's laughable. The insurance thing is even more laughable. "The kids are dead but at least he had insurance." 😅

If the gun were $200 and insurance was $600 a year, maybe he would not buy the gun.

Classroom doors should really lock once class has started, only be able to open from the inside. Tie them to the bell or something. If someone needs to leave class during the middle, then someone has to open the door for them to be let back in.

The idea behind this is so unconstitutional the ghosts of the founders should rise and beat you to a bloody pulp for even suggesting it.

Why?

Your right to own a gun is not abridged. You just have to pay for insurance if you buy one. Just because you buy insurance for a car doesn't mean your right, if you will, to own one is abridged. Now, it may make you think twice about buying one, or buying a particular model, as the cost of insurance is higher.

And it for sure will make you think twice about buying a car for a teenager, and for good reason. As here.

what happens when you stop paying? and anything that would track gun ownership has already been shot down.

If you stop paying the gun is confiscated. Easy peasy.

And if you cannot produce it, that's a crime and you face potential jail time.

There is nothing wrong with requiring people to be responsible gun owners. Its about time we started doing so.

SO you admit, your goal is to keep people from buying guns. Not really addressing the problem.

I admit it is an incidental effect of wanting to create a pool of money, taken from those who buy guns, to provide medical care to those injured by guns.

Same as car insurance.

In fact, who do you think pays the hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions, incurred by such an event? You an me, that's who, by our own health insurance premiums.

So make those who choose to have a gun get insurance and put it in a pool to be used to pay some of those expenses.

what happens when you stop paying? and anything that would track gun ownership has already been shot down.

Yea it would just be a back door registry. It will never happen. However there is already insurance for gun owners. Home owners, renters, and for those with a CCP (I’m sure it would cover every gun owner though).

I admit it is an incidental effect of wanting to create a pool of money, taken from those who buy guns, to provide medical care to those injured by guns.

Same as car insurance.

In fact, who do you think pays the hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions, incurred by such an event? You an me, that's who, by our own health insurance premiums.

So make those who choose to have a gun get insurance and put it in a pool to be used to pay some of those expenses.

Lol

Its amazing to me the same people who are all about restritcing gun ownership, putting barriers to gun ownership, and generally dislike the s

Same as car insurance.

The right to vote is way more dangerous/consequential than the 2 A. But you only want restrictions and obstacles around one. Poll tax? Sound good?

Reactions: MR_VOL
You said it was asinine to debate the possibility of fixing the people problem. that isn't making something up, its pointing out the problems in your own argument and you refuse to admit the ones you make so you try to say I am lying instead of addressing what you said.
I see where you are confused. I said it's asinine to even debate that the people problem can be fixed.
We all agree that it cannot be fixed - which means it would be asinine to debate it.
That in no way means there should not be a debate on ways to improve the people problem.

It was obviously a direct response to this type of comment which is common in the PF........
"Fix the people problem and there will be no school shootings."

Same as car insurance.

So are you willing to apply this to everything that has the potential to injure or kill someone? What if you make it so someone can't afford a firearm and they get killed or injured in an assault, are you going to accept the liability for them not being able to protect themselves? You realize firearms are used in self defense situations much more frequently than a shootings?

Why?

Your right to own a gun is not abridged. You just have to pay for insurance if you buy one. Just because you buy insurance for a car doesn't mean your right, if you will, to own one is abridged. Now, it may make you think twice about buying one, or buying a particular model, as the cost of insurance is higher.

And it for sure will make you think twice about buying a car for a teenager, and for good reason. As here.
Hanging a great big compulsory pay-to-play pricetag on an enumerated right. C'mon man...you're not even trying.

VN Store

Back